PDA

View Full Version : Cleared Back into the Pool

TacJag
January 3rd, 2007, 09:31 PM
About a month ago, I noticed that the occasional stiffness I noticed in my left shoulder seemed to be getting a bit worse. A client of mine (who is also a sports PT) did a quick exam and indicated about a 30% weakness in the left shoulder and recommended staying out of the pool until I could see a doc and get a better idea of what was going on. Bummer. And things were just getting better with each workout.

(Interestingly, the minor, occasional, pain only shows up on dry land ... it's fine in the water!!)

Saw my doc today and he took some x-rays that he and an ortho will look at, but his initial finding is nothing structural is bad. Perhaps a bit of arthritis but nothing out of the ordinary for a 56 year old shoulder!! Said he saw no reason NOT to (carefully) swim again as the benefits of the exercise probably outweighed any problems that may crop up. Normal warnings about increased pain, sharper pain, etc ... get OUT of the pool!!

So ... as of tomorrow morning, I'll be back at it. I'll be careful, of course, but I actually missed my time in the pool so I'm a lot happier this evening.

(Which is a little odd since I missed about 40 years without even considering getting in the pool!!)

Cheers!!

Ken

gull
January 4th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Saw my doc today and he took some x-rays that he and an ortho will look at, but his initial finding is nothing structural is bad.

Plain films really won't tell you much--the only way to get a good look at the rotator cuff and the labrum is with an MRI. If there is a weakness, physical therapy will help. I'm not convinced that rest alone is the answer.