PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin Kick Breast Arms

SwimStud
January 3rd, 2007, 09:51 PM
Want to try this drill. Can someone help me with the timing?

How many kicks per arm motion. I'm not much of a flyer.
You must understand too, a thoroughbred breaststroker like myself will find it difficult to pervert my sacred stroke, so I am curious if anyone has a tip or two? :p

Rich

dorothyrde
January 3rd, 2007, 09:54 PM
Don't know if it is right, but I do two kicks to one pull, big little like a flyer does.

SwimStud
January 3rd, 2007, 09:57 PM
Don't know if it is right, but I do two kicks to one pull, big little like a flyer does.

OK so kind of like this:
BA-DOOMP BA-DOOMP BA-DOOMP BA-DOOMP BA-DOOMP BA-DOOMP
:laugh2:
Sounds funny but I use rhythms all the time to swim.

dorothyrde
January 3rd, 2007, 10:00 PM
Had my daughters private coach tell me, PRESS DOWN, rebound, PRESS DOWN, rebound.

So the first kick is a press down with the.....thinking....hips, the second kick is a rebound from the first press down. He likened it to a big jump on a tramp, and then the body automatically will make a little jump.

Hard to explain out of the water. Works though, since I have been thinking about it in this manner, my fly positioning in the water is much better. ..still not great, but not bad for this old lady.

chaos
January 3rd, 2007, 11:55 PM
Had my daughters private coach tell me, PRESS DOWN, rebound, PRESS DOWN, rebound.

So the first kick is a press down with the.....thinking....hips, the second kick is a rebound from the first press down. He likened it to a big jump on a tramp, and then the body automatically will make a little jump.

Hard to explain out of the water. Works though, since I have been thinking about it in this manner, my fly positioning in the water is much better. ..still not great, but not bad for this old lady.

i think if you are doing the drill to work on the breast-stroke glide...one kick (and think of it more as a body dolphin)
if you are doing this drill to work the b-fly kick timing...two kicks (the br-stroke pull should work as a less energy-sucking, violent, child scaring, middle child look at me, upper body alternative)

SwimStud
January 4th, 2007, 12:15 AM
i think if you are doing the drill to work on the breast-stroke glide...one kick (and think of it more as a body dolphin)
if you are doing this drill to work the b-fly kick timing...two kicks (the br-stroke pull should work as a less energy-sucking, violent, child scaring, middle child look at me, upper body alternative)

Hehe Thanks Dave. Yeah I want to use it to help build the motion and feel for getting the wave on my breaststroke.

KaizenSwimmer
January 4th, 2007, 06:29 AM

I'll add a bit to Dave's advice. I use this drill to teach: (A) integration of body parts to concentrate momentum forward, (B) returning quickly and crisply to streamline on the completion of a stroke cycle, (C) how to time the kick to add energy to your lunge and return-to-streamline, (D) a quicker, more compact kick.

1.) Keep your legs streamlined and head neutral on outsweep.
2) As you begin insweep, your shoulders will lift and your hips drop. This will cause your knees to bend. Try to minimize that bend -- I prefer to use the term "crack" the knees to reinforce that idea.
3) Then "flick" your toes sharply. Your goal is to feel that your toe-flick accelerates your hands forward to streamline.
4) Extend your head forward (rather than thrust it down) so its 10-lb mass adds to the momentum created with everything else moving forward at the same time. Try to make your head movement subtle.
5) Streamline for all you're worth just below the surface. Just as you're ready to surface again -- let the air in your lungs take you there -- begin to separate your hands (keeping head neutral and legs streamlined) to begin the next cycle.

It can also be helpful to:
1) Do the first 3 to 5 cycles of a length without breathing -- to allow you to imprint a neutral head position and the sense of streamline it provides. When you begin breathing, try to do it as seamlessly as possible and return after each breath to the position you had when not breathing.
2) Do some 25s on which you add the total of your pull/dolphin cycles and the number of breaths taken as a "swim golf" score and try to minimize that score.

Finally, to transition from this drill to whole-stroke, try doing 5 cycles of pull/dolphin then transition to whole stroke. Next length 4 cycles of pull/dolphin then transition to whole stroke. Then 3 cycles of pull/dolphin andtransition to whole stroke. Etc.

Use the pull/dolphin to imprint a sense of compactness and quickness to your kick. Maintain that feeling in the breast kicks when you transition.

I've illustrated this process in a DVD "Breaststroke for Every Body."

FlyQueen
January 4th, 2007, 09:21 AM
This is how breaststroke should always be swum ... in my opinion anyway ... Dave's right. I've always done the kick more as a body dolphin it's fairly natural if you have a decent pull and really glide your body just naturally flows into a dolphin kick or at least mine does ... maybe because it's screaming, no fly, swim fly, what are you doing to me!?!?

SwimStud
January 4th, 2007, 09:28 AM
This is how breaststroke should always be swum ... in my opinion anyway ... Dave's right. I've always done the kick more as a body dolphin it's fairly natural if you have a decent pull and really glide your body just naturally flows into a dolphin kick or at least mine does ... maybe because it's screaming, no fly, swim fly, what are you doing to me!?!?

Actually I lied. I am subversively backing my way into fly so I can show up at a meet with you and show you how simple it is to do a mutant stroke :thhbbb:

FlyQueen
January 4th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Actually I lied. I am subversively backing my way into fly so I can show up at a meet with you and show you how simple it is to do a mutant stroke :thhbbb:

I absolutely think breaststroke is the hardest one ... I think fly is far easier, but that's me ...

SwimStud
January 4th, 2007, 09:32 AM
I absolutely think breaststroke is the hardest one ... I think fly is far easier, but that's me ...

I'll make you a deal. If I can get someone to video me doing breast. I'll attempt a 25 of fly and post it for the comedy factor. :joker:

Allen Stark
January 4th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Terry's drill is great. If you are doing dolphin kick/breast pull to help your breast you definitely should do one kick per pull. I find it is easier for me to keep the timing right if I use fins.

SwimStud
January 4th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Terry's drill is great. If you are doing dolphin kick/breast pull to help your breast you definitely should do one kick per pull. I find it is easier for me to keep the timing right if I use fins.

I tried last night but my goggle had broken and it was a bit too much to deal with lol I'll try again tongiht.

Allen Stark
January 4th, 2007, 12:05 PM
I find that if a workout is going poorly a quick jerk is all it takes to break your goggles:rofl:

FlyQueen
January 4th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Yes, and a great time to realize the nose piece isn't quite right ... or just refer to Fortress' laws of swimming there are plenty of excuses there ...

SwimStud
January 4th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Yes, and a great time to realize the nose piece isn't quite right ... or just refer to Fortress' laws of swimming there are plenty of excuses there ...

I've gone from a large nose piece to a medium now...the suction is OK so it should be good.

HEY an excuse to buy the cool speedo ones I saw :banana: :groovy: