PDA

View Full Version : Back in the old days

Slimy
January 4th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Back in the mid 80's when I was a competetive swimmer, our coach had us lifting weights, and I remember we also used these crude machines that were basically thus: pulleys mounted on a wall and a padded, angled sawhorse perpendicular to the pulleys that you would lay down on (stomach down). You'd grab the pulleys and pull back and forth for a certain number of minutes. Anyone here ever use such a thing? Do they still use something like that for today's modern swimmers? We practiced at a crummy old YWCA and the workout room looked like some random person's basement with homemade equipment. Then one day, they get this new pulley machine that had a digital readout on it. We all fought to use it rather than lay on the crummy sawhorse versions. :p

Superfly
January 4th, 2007, 07:44 AM
yep...been there, done that!

Actually the club I am swimming for now has requested for a similar machine.

/Per

waves101
January 4th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Sounds like a homemade VASA Trainer to me. We had a couple in our stretching area. I know of several swimmers who still use this or similar equipment.

Slimy
January 4th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Sounds like a homemade VASA Trainer to me. We had a couple in our stretching area. I know of several swimmers who still use this or similar equipment.

Yes! Same excercise, but ours was homemade indeed. And ours didn't make use of our own weight. It was just strictly pulling.

geochuck
January 4th, 2007, 12:35 PM
We had a breastroke machine in the back office of our pool in 1937 it had straps that attached to the wrists, elbows, knees and ankles and mechanically made the arms and legs do a perfect breaststroke.

ynot
January 4th, 2007, 12:58 PM
we did this excercise where we squat around the pool, it helps with streamlining so we can push off further

islandsox
January 4th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Slimy,

I don't know, I am not a modern swimmer anymore, but I am an advocate of weight training as long as it is in a form that will help a swimmer and not hurt them. Laying on a sawhorse? That sounds iffy to me, but I get the jest of what the equipment is there to provide.

My dad made homemade pulleys for me out of bricks and lines and I swam my best ever in the 13-14 age group and placed high in the Nationals. (way back then...).

Weight training yes; make sure the body will not injure itself if it is home-made and rickity. I think the word rickity is the important word here.

PS: I use StretchCordz because I have no weights here and they are the 93 pound resistant ones. The best I can do living on an island in another country.

Donna

Caped Crusader
January 4th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I don't know, I am not a modern swimmer anymore, but I am an advocate of weight training as long as it is in a form that will help a swimmer and not hurt them.

Weight training is both tradtitional and modern. It has many benefits beyond just swimming, and we should all be doing it for our health. It is not a fad.

Slimy
January 5th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Slimy,

I don't know, I am not a modern swimmer anymore, but I am an advocate of weight training as long as it is in a form that will help a swimmer and not hurt them. Laying on a sawhorse? That sounds iffy to me, but I get the jest of what the equipment is there to provide.

I use the term "sawhorse" pretty loosely here because it's the best way to describe it. It was actually some sort of gymnastics bench that was angled slightly upwards facing the wall where the pulleys were. The whole thing was padded with foam and it was covered in some kind of brown pleather material. It had four crude metal legs. We had to wipe the sweat off the thing as we all rotated the excercises.

FlyQueen
January 5th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Weight training is both tradtitional and modern. It has many benefits beyond just swimming, and we should all be doing it for our health. It is not a fad.

What do you mean by fad? :rofl:

stussy96
January 5th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Oh man, my college team had something similar to the Vasa called a total gym. You could interchange how you worked your upper body. You could use a pully-like thing, use a pull-up bar, etc. We would use it during circut training and it was a killer. And this is no mid-80's team using the device...this was early 2000! I'm sure they still use it now.

We would also use rubber band-like cords attached to the swim blocks during our circuts. You would hold onto the handles and would set the resistance by stepping away from the block. You would mimic different swimming strokes, chest press, tricep extension, etc as fast as you could during the interval. That's a burn that lasted a LONG time.