PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes you can't win.

Allen Stark
January 4th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I'm back in the kick only lane. Leading up to Zones my right shoulder was a little "twitchy" so I decided I'd take it easy awhile,swim with fins alot,fist swim,things to decrease the strain. My family wanted to go snowboarding so I drove them to the mountain.I was concerned about my shoulder so I planned to just watch and enjoy the scenery.While walking in the snow I slipped,fell to the right and jammed my shoulder catching myself. Now it's painful to raise my arm over my shoulder and I am kicking only,at least until my doctors appointment next week. One thing this proves is that poor technique IS the cause of most shoulder problems as my wife (the Martial Artist)noted that if I had remembered to fall with good technique I wouldn't have been hurt(but she really was very sympathetic.)

scyfreestyler
January 4th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. You are right though, sometimes you just can't win...I've been there a time or two myself!

chaos
January 4th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I'm back in the kick only lane. Leading up to Zones my right shoulder was a little "twitchy" so I decided I'd take it easy awhile,swim with fins alot,fist swim,things to decrease the strain. My family wanted to go snowboarding so I drove them to the mountain.I was concerned about my shoulder so I planned to just watch and enjoy the scenery.While walking in the snow I slipped,fell to the right and jammed my shoulder catching myself. Now it's painful to raise my arm over my shoulder and I am kicking only,at least until my doctors appointment next week. One thing this proves is that poor technique IS the cause of most shoulder problems as my wife (the Martial Artist)noted that if I had remembered to fall with good technique I wouldn't have been hurt(but she really was very sympathetic.)

sorry to hear about it. (i have the spring-like traction devices i wear when walking over slippery surfaces, they work really well) if all else fails remember...tuck and roll!

The Fortress
January 4th, 2007, 12:15 PM
One thing this proves is that poor technique IS the cause of most shoulder problems as my wife (the Martial Artist)noted that if I had remembered to fall with good technique I wouldn't have been hurt(but she really was very sympathetic.)

Aw, I'm sorry you got hurt. I hope it's nothing too serious. Good thing you have a doctor's appointment. I'm sure it was due to bad technique. I had the same bad technique last year. I slipped and fell down a flight of stairs one week before a big meet. I couldn't grab the handrail in time and just kept banging down the steps, smashing up my sore left shoulder in the process. No doubt, we need a "fall with good technique" clinic.

FlyQueen
January 4th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Fortress, you were a gymnast, you should know how to fall.

I'll hold the clinic, because while rather clutzy and prone to falling I never actually seem to get hurt, I think maybe some of the gymnastics was actually good for my poor little abused body.

Let's have the clinic in Mexico ... as the clinician I get to go for free, right?!

poolraat
January 4th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Let's have the clinic in Mexico ... as the clinician I get to go for free, right?!

I could go to Mexico right now. It's been snowing since I got up this morning. I changed wallpaper on my computer to a pic I took in Mexico last year to make the day seem a little more pleasant.:dedhorse: :dedhorse:

SwimStud
January 4th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Allen--sorry man. Feel better soon.

Fortress...look where you're going on the stairs not at the butt of the guy who just went past you...:thhbbb:

FlyQueen...go figure! Clutzy, sounds like butterfly compared to breaststroke to me...:rofl:

FlyQueen
January 4th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Almost two years ago now a teammate of mine slipped in the parking lot on ice before a meet and landed on her hip and shoulder. She still swam in the meet (including some fly) and was really sore ... she labored through the next 2 months and swam at state, then a month or so later had surgery to fix her completely torn rotator cuff and labrum ... she is a trooper for sure!

FlyQueen
January 4th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Allen--sorry man. Feel better soon.

Fortress...look wehre you're going on the stairs not at the butt of the guy who just went past you...:thhbbb:

FlyQueen...go figure! Clutzy, sounds like butterfly compared to breaststroke to me...:rofl:

Ah, my gymnasts friends were the biggest clutzes I know ... I actually hurt myself more walking to and around equipment then when I was on it ... a sprained ankle walking to beam comes to mind

SwimStud
January 4th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Ah, my gymnasts friends were the biggest clutzes I know ... I actually hurt myself more walking to and around equipment then when I was on it ... a sprained ankle walking to beam comes to mind

I was juggling a football (soccer ball to the unenlightened) with my feet indoors...my wife says "Mind you don't hit the clock!"
"I have too much skill for that!" I cockily retort.

Next touch, ball goes whoosh over my shoulder, knocks the clock of the wall, shattering the glass housing...

...it was a wedding gift...

LOL

PS I think I may have posted this tale once before...

Leonard Jansen
January 4th, 2007, 01:12 PM
My sympathies. About 4 weeks ago, one of the horses decided to try and kill me (She & I HATE each other, prior to this she's broken 2 of my fingers and one toe). She almost suceeded. She knocked me down twice (she weighs 1200 lbs) and then my hand got caught in the lead line and she dragged me a ways. Banged up ankle, elbows, bruises everywhere.

Get well,
LBJ

Allen Stark
January 4th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Good Grief Leonard,thats terrible. I think I'd get rid of that horse,maybe give it to my competition:rofl:

scyfreestyler
January 4th, 2007, 01:42 PM
My sympathies. About 4 weeks ago, one of the horses decided to try and kill me (She & I HATE each other, prior to this she's broken 2 of my fingers and one toe). She almost suceeded. She knocked me down twice (she weighs 1200 lbs) and then my hand got caught in the lead line and she dragged me a ways. Banged up ankle, elbows, bruises everywhere.

Get well,
LBJ

Ha! I know how horses can be. My last steed had an attitude problem from time to time so I would take him out and lope in the arena until the cows came home. That high powered horse would be dripping in sweat and begging me to stop after a while. Generally there followed a period of about 2-3 weeks where all was well but sure enough, that attitude would reemerge!

My sister had, still has actually, arabians and they were the most finicky horses I had ever been around.

~Wren~
January 4th, 2007, 02:13 PM

Oh that sounds like me with skating! Some of my most painful falls came when I was standing around chatting - cracked tailbone anyone? Ouch!!

Allen - I hope it's nothing serious - feel better soon! Tip for next time - get up a lot of speed before you fall on the ice, it doesn't hurt as much. ;)

The Fortress
January 4th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Fortress...look where you're going on the stairs not at the butt of the guy who just went past you...:thhbbb:

Rich:

Meanie face. I was actually walking down the stairs in the middle of the night with no lights on because my littlest one was having a nightmare. My Mom was in town and wanted to see me swim in the meet that weekend. So I had to buck up and go swim. But I only did the 50 and 100 back. Too sore for fly.

Heather:

I am a huge clutz too. I guess gymnastics didn't help me. In fact, the last time I did said activity, I wrenched my ankle doing 6-7 walkovers across the backyard to prove to my kids that I still could. So I haven't done that for awhile. I still do the splitz occasionally. There's a very funny thread on the forum, BTW, called something like are the "splitz good for swimming?" Obviously, the poster meant splits, but the thread was very funny as a result.

nkfrench
January 4th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Fortress, you were a gymnast, you should know how to fall.

I'll hold the clinic, because while rather clutzy and prone to falling I never actually seem to get hurt, I think maybe some of the gymnastics was actually good for my poor little abused body.

The gymnasts even have the placards with the numbers up to 10.0 scoring their fall.

Peter Cruise
January 4th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Allen- I take back recommending that you take up extreme sports; I only wanted you to slow a smidgen, not a lot. Good luck in rehab; if I know you, you'll gain some new insight from it, apply it to your breastroke and come back faster than ever.

islandsox
January 4th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Allen,

This is awful news, I am most sorry, but I am with the others, we need to learn technique while falling.

I had a great fall once, fell 30 feet when I was 43 out of a tree I was trimming and I broke a lot of branches on the way down, along with both arms, both wrists, both hands, and my left knee. This is why I either swim or ride my scooter everywhere I go, no walking for this busted up broad.

Sounds like we all need to learn how to fall with grace and technique. Where's that clinic?

Donna

Allen Stark
January 4th, 2007, 06:54 PM
My wife Martial Arts group spends most of the first year learning to fall. I hadn't seen much practical value on spending so much time on it,but guess who got the last laugh.Interestingly she took up Martial Arts because swimming was too hard on her shoulder and she has been sympathetic. My shoulder is a little better,I can lift it very SLOWY now without much pain.

The Fortress
January 4th, 2007, 07:01 PM
My wife Martial Arts group spends most of the first year learning to fall. I hadn't seen much practical value on spending so much time on it,but guess who got the last laugh.Interestingly she took up Martial Arts because swimming was too hard on her shoulder and she has been sympathetic. My shoulder is a little better,I can lift it very SLOWY now without much pain.

Well, even if you get better quickly, you're still welcome at the shoulder support group table despite being a breaststroker. Maybe you could take up martial arts as a hobby?

I can't win today either. I'm just barely able to breathe slowly threw my nose. I had to have a nose x-ray today for god's sake ... I may have to resort to a nose clip, according to the nose clip thread.

FindingMyInnerFish
January 4th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Ouch! Sorry to hear you got hurt, and it's highly unfair when you were trying to AVOID getting hurt by not snowboarding.... Hope you have a very quick recovery!

As my sister's husband said when she sprained her ankle, "what did I tell you about walking... It's dangerous!"

I am a veteran of falls, the worst involving broken teeth. (Broke the same tooth again in a fall several years later.) In both instances, my first thought was "can I still run?" Broken teeth are not going to keep me from running, but broken legs sure are.

More recent: a fall on the pool deck as I was heading to my masters' practice. Messed up my workout, but the swimming probably helped too.

Most recent: a fall while running. Inspected damages... first question--can I still run? No evidence of broken bones... had a fifty minute run planned and I still had five minutes more... Heck yeah, then! So off I went, hole poked in tights, hands bleeding for the remaining five minutes. And actually weirdly (after getting past being mad about falling) started to enjoy the wounded warrior part of the run. ;) Would have kept going even longer but did need to wash off the cuts.

Caped Crusader
January 4th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Ouch! Sorry to hear you got hurt, and it's highly unfair when you were trying to AVOID getting hurt by not snowboarding.... Hope you have a very quick recovery!

Allen: I am sorry about your injury, but I believe you will overcome it and return to triumph at your next zone meet. You seem to have a lot of guile and training ingenuity.

I'm taking my kids skiing with family friends the end of January, assuming there is some snow. After reading this thread, I've decided to ski. Maybe snowbaord. No sense wasting a perfectly good time. Just as likely to get injured getting the hot chocolate.

Muppet
January 5th, 2007, 12:25 AM
I was concerned about my shoulder so I planned to just watch and enjoy the scenery.

Alan, I feel your pain... For a couple years there, I would get a little conservative in my other sporting activities and always end up tweaking things. Well, I ended up breaking both wrists within a year of each other. If I am destined to get hurt, destiny will find some way of making it happen. So now I just go out and have fun and if I get injured, oh well!

Rock skiing anyone?
:drink: :banana:

FlyQueen
January 5th, 2007, 09:17 AM

As my sister's husband said when she sprained her ankle, "what did I tell you about walking... It's dangerous!"

I am a veteran of falls, the worst involving broken teeth. (Broke the same tooth again in a fall several years later.) In both instances, my first thought was "can I still run?" Broken teeth are not going to keep me from running, but broken legs sure are.

More recent: a fall on the pool deck as I was heading to my masters' practice. Messed up my workout, but the swimming probably helped too.

Most recent: a fall while running. Inspected damages... first question--can I still run? No evidence of broken bones... had a fifty minute run planned and I still had five minutes more... Heck yeah, then! So off I went, hole poked in tights, hands bleeding for the remaining five minutes. And actually weirdly (after getting past being mad about falling) started to enjoy the wounded warrior part of the run. ;) Would have kept going even longer but did need to wash off the cuts.

Back in my runner days I'd say I fell on average once every 4-6 months. Usually I popped right up and started running again out of embarrassment often with bloody knees and hands, and once with a slightly tweaked ankle ... I was 2.5 miles from home so what other choice did I have but to run on it?

Allen Stark
January 5th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the support. As soon as anything changes I'll let you know. After hearing about all these running accidents I think my New Years Resolution will be to give up running(which I hate and don't do anyway. Easy huh LOL)