PDA

View Full Version : SDK

Warren
January 4th, 2007, 02:53 PM
How do you improve on Stremlined dolphin kick. I'm a god awful kicker. A couple days ago I timed my self in a 50 scm free kick with a board from a push and I went 44 seconds. I can go a 24 low in a 50 scm free, those two times don't match. And for SDK, in a race I do as little as posible, I just get to the surface quick and start swimming becasue staying under and kicking slows me down.

Does any one have any drills to improve my kicking? ande I would like to hear form you on how to improve on sdk because you are real fast at it.

Superfly
January 4th, 2007, 03:12 PM
her her
I too suck at this and would really much like to improve.
Greatful for any advice in the drill area.
/Per

bud
January 4th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I practice my dolphin kick for fly by kicking on my back, arms straight in front (no board or float). It took a while to feel at ease with it, but I find it very helpful now for maintaining that technique. Iíve experimented a lot with hip and body movements to get to a point where I feel it is both strong and easy. It felt really awkward in the beginning because my head basically stayed in place, and that is not how fly works.

quicksilver
January 4th, 2007, 03:47 PM
SDK is improved by dolphin kicking on your back. I'm a backstroker, so it was worthwhile to learn how to do it. But for the 50 free...I come off the wall with a strong flutter after the initial speed burst wears off. (Dolphin kicks ruin the tempo for me in sprint swimming.) Even if your legs aren't doing much when they flutter...they're still establishing the arm tempo.

For what it's worth...it's been said that kicking only provides about 10% of one's propulsion.

Muppet
January 5th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Where's Leslie on this one?

MONOFIN!

blainesapprentice
January 5th, 2007, 07:25 AM
I do a lot of body dolphin vertical kicking. You put your arms on your shoulders, in the deep end, and then press with you T forward and backward, equal distance...Ian Crocker apparently, according to "an article my coach read", can do 90 'shimmers' (forward-backward presses) in 30 seconds. So, we get to try and get anywhere close to that about 4 times a week. It is a really, really good ab work out, fyi. We do probably 30 seconds easy, concentrating on pressing with your chest forward and backward, 10 seconds building to the last 20seconds all out. And then rest for 45seconds and do it again. Trust me, you SDK will get faster, and your abs, will hurt.

FlyQueen
January 5th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Basically, you have to do it. Think of initiating the kick from your abs, instead of your legs. Also on the upkick (at least on your tummy) think about squeezing your butt. I too started working on mine on my back. Think too of letting your body roll through it.

Vertical kicking is good too.

The Fortress
January 5th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Where's Leslie on this one?

MONOFIN!

OK. I'm here Muppet. :dedhorse: :wave:

To improve SDKs, I'd:

1. Use the monofin. That's why I asked Santy for it. Haven't had a chance to try it yet but my daughter did and she loved it. Her coach had her SDK-ing on her stomach. Might break that device in this afternoon.

2. Do some vertical kicking, which is very hard and good for the abs. I can't do that Crocker set though. My team usually does it for 60-90 seconds with a period of harder kicking as blainesapprentice described.

3. Do SDKs on your back, as others have said. I frequently throw 5-6 100s or 4 x 200s of SDK-ing on my back into my workouts. I often do this fartlek style. SDKs on your back are also particularly useful if you are suffering from sinus ailments, as you can still breathe. So I will be doing them this afternoon.

4. Do SDKs, with or without monofins or fins, on the stomach or side. Doing them on your side helps with balance and feel for the water, I find. You also feel very fishlike.

5. I still like my set of 10 x 25 SDK on the stomach underwater with fins the best.

Geez, I better start practicing what I'm preaching ...
:dedhorse: :dedhorse: :banana: :banana:

ande
January 5th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I'm pretty good for a 43 year old but there are elite whipper snappers who can SDK 50's in 20 - 22 sec

the best thing to do to improve your SDK is to
get timed for 15's, 25's, and 50's

watch and study the greats and copy them, I've seen some good footage of michael phelps, he's a great dolphin kicker

stretch your feet and ankles
work on improving your DPK, distance per kick, your feel for the water with your feet and legs,

same with kicking with a board
start timing yourself 2 or 3 times a week, on 25's and 50's

make it a project to improve your kicking ability

figure out by trial and error
what's the fastest way for you to get to 15 meters

ande

How do you improve on Streamlined dolphin kick. I'm a god awful kicker. A couple days ago I timed my self in a 50 scm free kick with a board from a push and I went 44 seconds. I can go a 24 low in a 50 scm free, those two times don't match. And for SDK, in a race I do as little as posible, I just get to the surface quick and start swimming becasue staying under and kicking slows me down.

Does any one have any drills to improve my kicking?
ande I would like to hear form you on how to improve on sdk because you are real fast at it.