PDA

View Full Version : What would you be if...

Caped Crusader
January 4th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Simple. Forget what you are. What do you want to be? I notice there's been a lot of dissing of sprinters here, and I might join in, but ...

If you could be any kind of swimmer, what would you want to be and why? I'm only posting five options; vote for one. This is a nice daydream, but you have to pick your heart's desire and explain below.

The Fortress
January 4th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I'm voting stoker again. Ha, ha. Sprinter would actually be my second to last pick after middle distance. I have always admired distance studs in any sport. I religiously watch the Tour de France. My son helps me chart the progress of American marathoners. I think ultrarunning sounds cool. I love to watch triathlons.

But if I really can only pick one, I'd pick stroker. I love the variety that comes with being a stroker/IM-er. It would be great to be awesome at everything, without that gaping breaststroke/distance hole. The 400 IM gold medal winner is the king of swimming. Although I do think it's just that OW is now an Olympic event.

FindingMyInnerFish
January 5th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Ah, decisions, decisions!

Sprinter because.... "rapid motion through space elates one"--James Joyce
I enjoy sprint sets even though pathetically slow b/c they are the only sets that give me at least the illusion of swimming fast. And at a meet, the pain is intense but brief... you can put up with anything if it will be over in less than a minute!

Open water because... it's so cool to be outdoors--wind, waves, open sky, etc. I learned to swim mostly in a bay, so that the natural H2O feels like "home." And I can be out there enjoying the whole experience for a while.

But since I can't vote for both in the check-off box, I will do so in this post. And what a wonderfully oddball combo it could be: sprinter and open water swimmer at the same time. Next fantasy... that I do both very fast....

knelson
January 5th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Sprinter because sprinters are sought after for relays and relays are fun!

nkfrench
January 5th, 2007, 04:02 PM
The 100 fly because is the perfect combination of flowing grace and power
The 200 free because it requires speed and endurance plus tactics
The 200 IM because it requires ability in all 4 strokes

FlyQueen
January 5th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Look at all those sprinters ... awh ...

islandsox
January 5th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I voted for Sprinter; there is nothing like it in the world---the speed, the closeness in finishes, the crowd excitement. That's what I would want to be.

And to add something here, I'd love to do it true butterfly, dolphin kick and all; no butterfrog--butterfrog should only be for people who are injured or over age 65; maybe butterfrog should be a new stroke and race all by itself?

Donna

The Fortress
January 5th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Wow, how refreshing. No one dissing sprinters on this thread. A James Joyce quote. People even want us on their relays. All of a sudden, I feel much better. And even Donna wants to sprint butterfly. This is great. Let's all get together, practice swimming underwater to build the lung capacity of small ponies, and SDK the whole 50. Then we won't have to worry about what our recovery looks like and whether we have good technique. We'll just be like true little fishies. Monofins to the ready everyone. :groovy: :groovy: :banana: :banana:

SwimStud
January 5th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Wow, how refreshing. No one dissing sprinters on this thread. A James Joyce quote. People even want us on their relays. All of a sudden, I feel much better. And even Donna wants to sprint butterfly. This is great. Let's all get together, practice swimming underwater to build the lung capacity of small ponies, and SDK the whole 50. Then we won't have to worry about what our recovery looks like and whether we have good technique. We'll just be like true little fishies. Monofins to the ready everyone. :groovy: :groovy: :banana: :banana:

Sprinters? Pfffffffffft! the latest "Me Too" club...
I went for middle distance: Some "why make such a good thing so brief?" with a touch of "always leave them wanting more!"

Caped Crusader
January 5th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Sprinters? Pfffffffffft! the latest "Me Too" club...
I went for middle distance: Some "why make such a good thing so brief?" with a touch of "always leave them wanting more!"

Dude, what sport are you speaking of?

SwimStud
January 5th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Dude, what sport are you speaking of?

With me it's all the same..:banana:

Caped Crusader
January 5th, 2007, 06:07 PM
With me it's all the same..:banana:

Really?! Man, breaststroke has really addled you. You must just be "thrilled" with your new times. Go have a :drink: .

poolraat
January 5th, 2007, 06:40 PM
I'm a wannabe sprinter but am going to diverge from the thundering herd.
I voted for open water. The few times I've done OW swims I've really enjoyed myself. Unfortunately, I must travel 4 hours or more to find an OW swim unless I want to swim (alone) in one of the local reservoirs. Even then it's 30 min drive to one or an hour to the other. And if I'm going to drive that far I'm going to fish, not swim!

Caped Crusader
January 5th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I'm a wannabe sprinter but am going to diverge from the thundering herd.
I voted for open water. The few times I've done OW swims I've really enjoyed myself. Unfortunately, I must travel 4 hours or more to find an OW swim unless I want to swim (alone) in one of the local reservoirs. Even then it's 30 min drive to one or an hour to the other. And if I'm going to drive that far I'm going to fish, not swim!

Good for you, Poolraat. As a runner to an ex-runner, nothing better than the open water. I love it. Wish you had some closer.

poolraat
January 5th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Good for you, Poolraat. As a runner to an ex-runner, nothing better than the open water. I love it. Wish you had some closer.

My last one was Donner Lake in August. 2.7 mi at 6200' elev. It was awesome!

swim4me
January 5th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I too voted for open water. I am currently a sprinter, but listening ( ok, reading) to Donna talk about her upcoming swim, and her workouts in the Caribbean :groovy: .... I am envious!!!!! Living in TX (not on the coast) does not give a lot of opportunities for OW swimming. Besides, I would much rather be looking a tropical fish while I swim than green murk.:shakeshead:

islandsox
January 5th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Kathy,

I'm originally from Texas, too!! Arlington area then Grapevine. I know what you mean about green muck, it is everywhere in those Texas lakes.

But I'll tell you, on my 18 mile swim I'll be in 4,000 to 24,000 feet of water and I hope to see NO fishes. But I will see only turquoise blue bottomless water; it's spooky, trust me. If I do see a fish, I'll probably jump out of my skin or at least my goggles. Please pray for me that I don't see anything because if I do see something, it may be bigger than me!!!:eek::eek:

Donna

swim4me
January 6th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Donna,

I was just thinking about my past experiences swimming in the caribbean, I forgot that when you get out deep, fish would NOT be good to see.:shakeshead: I will pray that you see no fish, but your practice swims must be fun, and I admire your ambition to do your upcoming swim, expecially at your age!!!:woot: :woot:
Kathy