PDA

View Full Version : Is being this sore worth it?!

blainesapprentice
January 5th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Wowzers. I can hardly move my arms. We are doing doubles everyday for the past 2 weeks. I'm a sprinter and a butterflyer...and we've been pounding out 50/100/200s sprint for 14 days or 28 practices. My legs are busted...from doing squats/deep knee bends/wall sits/ jump rope/ weight lifting/treading water/kicking...and my arms are exhausted.

What do you all do to loosen up and deal with the soreness?! I really like those bengay patches. They work wonders...and stretching in a warm shower.

Seagurl51
January 5th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Massages!! I love love love getting massages. They really help to loosen you up. I just found this stuff called Badger Balm Sore Muscle Rub that's really good too. It's an all natural rub that has chilies in it that warms up the muscles and helps them relax.

Gkami
January 5th, 2007, 04:03 PM
For me it's always been either massages (which I agree...Love Love Love) or just more swimming. But by more swimming it's not really doing a work out as much as doing a warm-up/loosen-up time in the pool. 15-20 minutes just working it all out and stretching my muscles.

Of course if you're continuing to do doubles then there probably isn't much more time or anything you'd love better than to hop in the water some more. So go for the massage route.

FlyQueen
January 5th, 2007, 04:11 PM
It will when taper hits ... that's what you are killing yourself now for ... :dedhorse: now = :D later

Muppet
January 5th, 2007, 04:51 PM
It will when taper hits ... that's what you are killing yourself now for ... :dedhorse: now = :D later

Amen Sister!
You'll sleep when you die!
Now where is that Fly set?

scyfreestyler
January 5th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Sounds like too much atrophy. You could very well wind up being weaker when it's all said and done. Would that not be ironic?

blainesapprentice
January 5th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Nah, I would rather keep doing this kinda practice. Our tapers are even harder than the building up to taper...obviously much less yardage, and much more rest, but still the intensity goes through the roof

islandsox
January 5th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Well, you are working out pretty intensely and in water colder than your body temperature. Long soaks in a warm tub. Like the PT's say: ice for joints, heat for muscles and tendons.

Donna

stussy96
January 5th, 2007, 11:27 PM
This is pretty obvious...just keep stretching, drink lots of water and I highly recommend bananas to keep your muscles form cramping up. Stretching hurts when you're that sore, but when your range of motion doesn't shrink on you from building that muscle it'll really help you in your swimming.