PDA

View Full Version : The 1650 sings..........

Seagurl51
January 5th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I have my first meet in almost 2 years coming up here pretty soon, and lucky me, my first event is the 1650. Once I find a good pace, I need a song or I'll :frustrated:. Last time I swam a 1650 I went from showtunes to Savage Garden and seriously considered just floating to the bottom.

So to all you distance lovers out there (:help: ) what's your favorite song to sing when you're swimming?

p.s. I'm hoping to hold between 1:30's and 1:40's so something on pace would be awesome. Oh and no country :frustrated:

islandsox
January 5th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Kyra,

I want to commend you on doing a very long swim, the 1650 is nothing to sneeze at, it can get tough both physically and mentally.

As far as songs, I'm not sure if something upbeat wouldn't get me going so much that it would tire me out, I've never used aids to help cut the boredom that might come about; I am usually just realizing how I feel each lap and waiting to see that orange sign to know that it is almost over.

However, having said that, for me I would love to hear the long version of Ravel's Bolero; it is musical only, no verses, but it builds and builds and builds and is 13 minutes long; so if I heard it twice, I'd be finished. This was the song that Torvil and Dean (English ice skaters) used to win their Gold at Sarajevo. And because I live in Honduras, I haven't heard any normal music like you may be hearing; everything here is Spanish and it always sounds Angry!!! Sorry, no help here.

Donna

Redbird Alum
January 5th, 2007, 09:14 PM
This actually brings up a good question...

Would a water Ipod be permissable during a long swim like this? Does USMS have any ruling against it?

I could see loading up a tempo that just happens to keep you on a split and really rocking the house (provided you have the endurance and technique to back up the song!).

chaos
January 5th, 2007, 09:22 PM
66 bottles of beer on the wall, 66 bottles of beer, if one of the bottles should happen to fall...65 bottles of beer on the wall.

you won't even need a counter!

thank you, thank you...the 10 o'clock show is completely different than the 7 o'clock.........

but seriously, i try to stay on task. a song would just mess me up.... jam a turn, lose focus, blow the pace. music is important to me, and when there is backround music, it often gets more of my attention than i intend to give it.

music is music : swim is swim:2cents:

chaos
January 5th, 2007, 09:23 PM
This actually brings up a good question...

Would a water Ipod be permissable during a long swim like this? Does USMS have any ruling against it?

I could see loading up a tempo that just happens to keep you on a split and really rocking the house (provided you have the endurance and technique to back up the song!).
i believe it would fall into the catagory of pacing device, therefore not allowed.

scyfreestyler
January 5th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Best of luck to you! I despise anything over a 200 myself, regardless of stroke.

As for music, I would say something that is monotonous so it will be easy to hang with. Avoid music with large cresciendo's.

islandsox
January 5th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Dave,

Good one, those bottles of beer:rofl::rofl:. I would have never thought of that.

Donna

SwimStud
January 5th, 2007, 10:43 PM
However, having said that, for me I would love to hear the long version of Ravel's Bolero; it is musical only, no verses, but it builds and builds and builds and is 13 minutes long; so if I heard it twice, I'd be finished. This was the song that Torvil and Dean (English ice skaters) used to win their Gold at Sarajevo.

Donna stop it I am weeping...

Kyra..try the "Dori" from Finding Nemo: "Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming...etc etc etc

The Fortress
January 5th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Dave,

Good one, those bottles of beer:rofl::rofl:. I would have never thought of that.

Donna

What, you never did that in practice? Or while doing a trad kick set? You guys are tame. How 'bout the Killers? Or something with a little life. I sometimes run to Bill Idol. Very fast beat. Keeps me going.

chaos
January 5th, 2007, 10:54 PM
the ideal situation would be to have a race going with someone in an adjacent lane. nothing else will make the mile fly by quite like that. play little games like, win the turn, match stroke count/rate etc.
stay far away from "hey jude" and "inagottadivita"!!!!!!!!!!!

Muppet
January 5th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Donna stop it I am weeping...

Kyra..try the "Dori" from Finding Nemo: "Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming...etc etc etc

Rich, you beat me to it! That song is solely responsible for my first crossing of the Chesapeake Bay.

But as for music, even for distance stuff, I try to keep something semi-fast paced in my head... RATM, velvet revolver, audioslave, STP, P.O.D. ...

m2tall2
January 6th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Well, I personally need a theme song for the distance events (and sometimes the short ones to help get my body ready to move). I have to add that as a musically talented person since I have to think about the music and what I am playing and generally try to conduct the song (I am not a passive listener) - I have no problem keeping my stroke and race together while banging out some tunes in my head. Last meet it was the Black Eyed Peas "Let's Get it Started!" for the 800m free.

AnnG
January 6th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Brian Goddell sang "Radar Love" to himself while on his way to a gold medal in the 1500 m free at the Olympics. (76?) It's a good builder and if its good enough for a gold medal its good enough for me!

geochuck
January 6th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Marilyn Bell says she sang Oh Canada when she swam accross Lake Ontario 32 miles. I think she had to repeat it many times.

When I swam in the Marathon races I pretented to push the key of a cash register to count money, $, $, $, etc. etc. etc.

poolraat
January 6th, 2007, 01:32 PM
I have my first meet in almost 2 years coming up here pretty soon, and lucky me, my first event is the 1650.

When & where are you doing this meet? I've been looking for some late Jan meets that aren't too far from here.

swimshark
January 6th, 2007, 01:32 PM
My favorite is "The Remedy" by Jason Mraz. I sang it in my head during an 800 one time and had an awesome swim. Ever since then, it's my song of choice for long distance. It's even in my iPod for motivation at times.

Alison

Seagurl51
January 6th, 2007, 02:37 PM
When & where are you doing this meet? I've been looking for some late Jan meets that aren't too far from here.

It's on the 20th in Spokane (WA). Entries have to be postmarked by the 10th.

poolraat
January 6th, 2007, 02:54 PM
It's on the 20th in Spokane (WA). Entries have to be postmarked by the 10th.

That's too far. I was hoping it would be in eastern WA or Idaho. Too bad.

nancytris
January 6th, 2007, 03:33 PM
You can't get too much farther east in Washington than Spokane!

poolraat
January 6th, 2007, 03:38 PM
You can't get too much farther east in Washington than Spokane!

My bad. I read Spokane and was thinking Seattle.

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 6th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Yes, I realize that this might be one of the oddest replies. I am ready for whatever you wish .

I sometimes sing the old Lutheran Liturgy. When I get to the Kryie, I pray for God to bless each of us by lane. Then I find the Agnes Dei very relaxing.

Growing up, my father would always say that he made us go to church as kids so that as adults we would know where to go as adults. In a way he was right.

Seagurl51
January 6th, 2007, 04:45 PM
What an interesting song to sing Craig. I would never have thought of singing something like that......

Thanks everybody for the replies!! I'll have to see what I can do about making a good playlist on my iPod so as to avoid showtunes. I should probably stop listening to N'Sync too...not good swim music..........but so darn catchy........

chaos
January 6th, 2007, 07:30 PM
i hate it when the guy in the next lane is singing:mad:

Seagurl51
January 6th, 2007, 10:38 PM
i hate it when the guy in the next lane is singing:mad:

I don't sing out loud. My only audible verbal outburst is me screaming right after I jump in every morning. :D

nancytris
January 6th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Kyra, maybe you could share your playlist :wave: ? I would like a list to choose some good tunes for my distance swims with my SwiMP3.

Thanks, Nancy

Seagurl51
January 7th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Kyra, maybe you could share your playlist :wave: ? I would like a list to choose some good tunes for my distance swims with my SwiMP3.

Thanks, Nancy

Sure! When I make one I'll see what I can do about sending it to you.

nancytris
January 7th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Kyra - I just noticed that you live in Everett -- my neighbor as I live in Mukilteo. I'm not (yet anyway) a competitive swimmer so wouldn't know you, but it's nice to know of someone nearby.

Nancy