PDA

View Full Version : I'm an ogre

The Fortress
January 6th, 2007, 12:41 PM
I'm an ogre. I can't stand not being able to exercise. It's my stress reliever and I love it. I don't want to meditate. I want to rev up my engine before it rusts away. I want to play with my monofin from santy. Anyone else hate being sidelined?

blainesapprentice
January 6th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I was 'sidelined' for '6months' two years ago (my freshman year in college) following bilateral shoulder reconstruction surgeries. However, I couldn't stand being out of the water for that long...so I got in and kicked...thousands upon thousands of yards...it was awesome, I had to go buy all new pants, because my thighs would not fit into my pants anymore.:groovy: Then i started swimming breaststroke (even though its my worst stroke), thousands upon thousands of yards breaststroke once the stiches came out. About three months after my left arms surgery, I was able to start swimming left armed...and about 2.5 weeks later my right arm was good to go as well. :woot:

Hope your not sidelined for too long...I completely understand the frustration!

poolraat
January 6th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Anyone else hate being sidelined?

I think we all do. I've been fighting this sinus thing for a month now.
But I notice I have felt slightly better the last 3 days. I went to the (hot, short, yucky) pool today and swam some easy back and free and worked on the breast kick. I've decided that I am going to master breaststroke this year.:dedhorse: :dedhorse:

The city pool re-opens Monday.:banana: :banana: :applaud: :applaud:

islandsox
January 6th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Oh, yeh, I know that feeling well; two shoulder surgeries and a knee replacement, but I accept those things relatively well because I know healing will take place and has to take place. This may be why I have more patience now. But I don't know how to give it to someone else, sorry...

Plus, I think I also like downtime now but I am more aged than you. But it's not just that you can't exercise, you don't feel well on top of it.

Cheer up!!
Donna

The Fortress
January 6th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I think we all do. I've been fighting this sinus thing for a month now.
The city pool re-opens Monday.:banana: :banana: :applaud: :applaud:

Poolraat:

Have you been swimming at all the last month? I hope your sinus thing gets better! The recidivist bacterium that I have seems to be winning the war right now. Usually I try to exercise through colds, just less intensely, but this time I've thrown in the towel and am just resting. But since I didn't do much during the holiday season, I'm getting agitated about being out of shape. That's also why I'm an ogre. Can't exercise and worried about not exercising. Argghh.

aquaFeisty
January 6th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Fortress,

I have swam twice since mid-November. I had 2 back to back sinus infections, then when those finally cleared up I managed to give myself 2nd degree burns from wrist to elbow in a hot oil cooking incident 4 days before Christmas. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Blech. The arm is pretty much healed now and I hope to get in the water next week. So far, this season has seriously sucked. :frustrated:

Hang in there and feel better!

poolraat
January 6th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Have you been swimming at all the last month?

It's been hit and miss. I've been taking my son and his friend to the pool every other morning and sometimes (if I don't feel too rotten) I get in and swim with them. But I did nothing for about 10 days. It was workout enough just to drag myself out of bed and go to the office on those days that weren't weekend/holidays.

CreamPuff
January 6th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I'm sorry Fortress. Yes, that stinks when you can't work out.
Working out is my form of prozac. I take my swim with plenty of water
for 1.5 hours 6 days a week. Only positive side effects to report.

When I had surgery a while back I was allowed to walk (even w/ 2 lb weights) shortly after (although I couldn't swim for 2 months!) So I walked, and walked, and walked and walked some more.
It was actually harder than I thought. I got sore from it!

During my bed rest (when no exercise was allowed), I read a lot including philosophy books, swimming related books and even meditation books.

I hope that you recover soon!

The Fortress
January 6th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Fortress,

I have swam twice since mid-November. I had 2 back to back sinus infections, then when those finally cleared up I managed to give myself 2nd degree burns from wrist to elbow in a hot oil cooking incident 4 days before Christmas. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Blech. The arm is pretty much healed now and I hope to get in the water next week. So far, this season has seriously sucked. :frustrated:

Hang in there and feel better!

Geez Carrie:

I was wondering where you had been...

I hope everything is all better soon! Maybe if we can get in the pool by mid-Jan., we won't feel like ogres and we won't need prozac.

SwimStud
January 6th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Well I am an International man of mystery...

...but I have suffered with health a still have a little congestion. I got in 3 short workouts wed, thur and friday...I will now rest until Monday, hopefully my chest will clear up just a bit more and I will have a better time breathing. 200 BR is a challenge alone without being down to 80% lung capacity...

Muppet
January 6th, 2007, 07:13 PM
I get very cranky w/o swimming...

grr!!:argue:

~Wren~
January 6th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I feel your pain Fortress. I am trying to be upbeat about hitting the pool (I mean, how many people can claim the "International Man of Mystery" as their 0-1 mile virtual training buddy? That has to be worth something. :cool: ), but I am more of a runner than a swimmer, and more of a skater than a runner. I really miss pounding out miles on my treadmill and the feeling of launching myself in to the air and landing on an 1/8 inch of steel. I do not get the same rush/endorphine high in the pool that I get on dry or frozen land. I hate that the few miles I've logged (against Dr's orders) have been slow (walking) and painful instead of fast and easy. What I hate most of all is knowing that even when the soft tissue heals, the DJD will still be there slowly eating away at my running/skating time. Being sidelined in any way sucks. :(

Did I mention I have PMS? Okay, pity party over . . . I'm going to go find some chocolate. . . and something salty.

poolraat
January 6th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Well I am an International man of mystery...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The Fortress
January 6th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I feel your pain Fortress. I am trying to be upbeat about hitting the pool (I mean, how many people can claim the "International Man of Mystery" as their 0-1 mile virtual training buddy? That has to be worth something. :cool: ), but I am more of a runner than a swimmer, and more of a skater than a runner. I really miss pounding out miles on my treadmill and the feeling of launching myself in to the air and landing on an 1/8 inch of steel. I do not get the same rush/endorphine high in the pool that I get on dry or frozen land. I hate that the few miles I've logged (against Dr's orders) have been slow (walking) and painful instead of fast and easy. What I hate most of all is knowing that even when the soft tissue heals, the DJD will still be there slowly eating away at my running/skating time. Being sidelined in any way sucks. :(

Did I mention I have PMS? Okay, pity party over . . . I'm going to go find some chocolate. . . and something salty.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks Wren. I think this is the first time I've smiled all day. I feel your pain too. PMS sucks. It always gives me insomnia, thank you very much.

I think ice skating the way you describe it sounds pretty special. I love running too. I usually love to do it outside, but living in MN -- no thanks. I'd rather have a sinus infection. Just J/K-ing. :rofl:

Hope your virtual training with the international man of mystery/speedo santa helps speed up the recovery. :wave: Swimming is way better than nothing!!

P.S. I'd personally take the salt over the chocolate.

SwimStud
January 6th, 2007, 09:02 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks Wren. I think this is the first time I've smiled all day. I feel your pain too. PMS sucks.

I'm with you girls!
I hate PMS too. I get yelled at a lot...just for breathing!
OK I'll prepare for the incoming missiles now...

poolraat
January 6th, 2007, 09:38 PM
I'd personally take the salt over the chocolate.

Why not have both. Chocolate covered pretzels:woot:

~Wren~
January 6th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Why not have both. Chocolate covered pretzels:woot:

Mmmm yum! I've been know to eat Snickers Pop’ables with Triscuits to get the chocolate/salty combo - strange, but really good. :D At our state fair they had potato chips with chocolate dipping sauce. I figured PMS was behind that one too.

~Wren~
January 6th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I'm with you girls!

Not to worry Man-o-Mystery, I'm too busy eating chocolate to unlock the missile silos just now. Looks like you'll live to see another day. :thhbbb:

SwimStud
January 6th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Not to worry Man-o-Mystery, I'm too busy eating chocolate to unlock the missile silos just now. Looks like you'll live to see another day. :thhbbb:

We had the chocolate fountain going at Christmas...I started experimenting. Chocolate covered Potatoes are OK. Chocolate covered broccoli not so scrumptious!

The Fortress
January 6th, 2007, 11:15 PM
I'm with you girls!

Rich:

I'm already an ogre, can't you tell? I'm not going to fire off any missiles...

I'll just drag you to the swamp if you do anything other than breathe or cook me dinner or massage my toes and then use a secret ogress enchantment spell on Mrs. Richjb. Then, you can both turn down the "happy ever after potion" at midnight because she wants you to (after all she's got PMS and you're not breathing), and join me in the swamp with donkey. :rofl:

P.S. I like my Lays potato chips with TFs, but no chocolate.

Swimmer Bill
January 7th, 2007, 04:57 PM
I'm an ogre.

hee-hee, I'm a level 60 mage.

:banana:

SwimStud
January 7th, 2007, 06:39 PM

WOW? :groovy:

Swimmer Bill
January 7th, 2007, 07:26 PM
WOW?

Yeah, WoW.

GoodWillHunter
January 7th, 2007, 09:30 PM
We had the chocolate fountain going at Christmas...I started experimenting. Chocolate covered Potatoes are OK. Chocolate covered broccoli not so scrumptious!

Well, at least you tried. Perhaps chocolate covered carrots? :banana:

GoodWillHunter
January 7th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Yeah, WoW.

World of Warcrack... I have yet to get into that because I just am afraid... I may never leave my chair. :drink:

Swimmer Bill
January 8th, 2007, 01:59 PM
World of Warcrack... I have yet to get into that because I just am afraid... I may never leave my chair. :drink:

keeps me off the streets - besides, there is swimming involved sometimes...

;)

SwimStud
January 8th, 2007, 02:01 PM
keeps me off the streets - besides, there is swimming involved sometimes...

;)

I play Star Wars Galaxies...everyone swims breaststroke in the Star Wars universe!

ande
January 8th, 2007, 02:37 PM
fort,

I get grumpy when I'm not getting any either.

swimming that is, work outs,

can you dolphin kick?
can you one arm swim
what can you do?

I hope you start getting some soon

Ande

I'm an ogre. I can't stand not being able to exercise. It's my stress reliever and I love it. I don't want to meditate. I want to rev up my engine before it rusts away. I want to play with my monofin from santy. Anyone else hate being sidelined?

SwimStud
January 8th, 2007, 02:39 PM
fort,

can you dolphin kick?
can you one arm swim
what can you do?

Ande

Ut-oh, I've been out wisenheimered by Ande on this one. Kudos Ande!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

The Fortress
January 8th, 2007, 03:04 PM
fort,

can you dolphin kick?
can you one arm swim
what can you do?

Ande

I went yesterday and swam about 2500.

Just went SLOW because there was

NO

energy....

For anthing else either. ;)

Did quite a bit of dolphin kicking on back

SO

I could breathe.

I think I'll be getting more soon.

Thanks for checking on me!

ande
January 8th, 2007, 03:33 PM
good to read that you got some and
plan on getting more soon
this will allow you to transform from the ogre to the happy princess

ande

I went yesterday and swam about 2500.
Just went SLOW because there was
NO
energy....
For anthing else either. ;)
Did quite a bit of dolphin kicking on back
SO
I could breathe.
I think I'll be getting more soon.
Thanks for checking on me!

aquaFeisty
January 10th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Hey Fortress,

I was back in the water again yesterday. The arm is mostly healed and despite the fact that the 500 warmup nearly killed me (God, I HATE being out of shape) the rest of practice felt really good! Hang in there!

Feisty

P.S. - I love your current avatar. Is that your 6 year old? Very cool.

The Fortress
January 10th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Hey Fortress,

I was back in the water again yesterday. The arm is mostly healed and despite the fact that the 500 warmup nearly killed me (God, I HATE being out of shape) the rest of practice felt really good! Hang in there!
Feisty

Feisty:

I'm glad you're feeling better and back in the water! Everyone I know had a rather rough holiday season, workout and health wise ...

I'm not feeling like so much of an ogre anymore. Not exactly a happy princess yet. Too out of shape for that. But at least heading in the right direction. Glad you are too. Aim for a spring meet.

That is my 6 year old, Gillian. She was 5 when the picture was taken. Not sure if she's going to be a real swimmer. She prefers ball sports so far. :eek: I haven't told her yet that travel soccer makes me an ogre too.

poolraat
January 10th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I'm not feeling like so much of an ogre anymore. Not exactly a happy princess yet. Too out of shape for that. But at least heading in the right direction. Glad you are too. Aim for a spring meet.

I'm glad you're feeling better. I can't believe how much better I feel this week. But I'm really out of shape. My 100's today were about 3-5 sec slower than what I was doing in Nov.

The Fortress
January 10th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I'm glad you're feeling better. I can't believe how much better I feel this week. But I'm really out of shape. My 100's today were about 3-5 sec slower than what I was doing in Nov.

I'm glad you're feeling better too Floyd! I'll have you know that I did place my order for nose clips with Keifer, just to try them out. Now, Rich is going to come make fun of me so I will give him one of these :thhbbb: before he gives me one.

Don't worry. I did 10 x 100 free today as my main set. I was 6-7 seconds slower per 100 than in Nov. on a slightly slower interval. :rofl: Same with my 100 IMs the day before. Can't say I was really pushing myself -- I'm too out of shape and not at full energy -- but nonetheless it was awful. My efficient speed is gone, and I'm not an ogre ...

I'm a thrashing slug.

poolraat
January 10th, 2007, 10:49 PM
I'm a thrashing slug.

I felt like this Monday, but the smoothness (I'm not going to use the word effortless yet) is coming back. But I was able to hold my stroke count (Terry would be proud) even though the times were a bit off.

Tomorrow is breaststroke:help: and backstroke:groovy: day.

FlyQueen
January 10th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Hey Fortress,

Feisty

Carrie, I'm glad you are swimming again. I remember seeing you at meets last year with Chris & your darling baby. (I swam at the clinic Chris did with Nadine) I'm almost positive I swam next to you in a free sprint at state, too ... How are things with the waves? What meets are you guys planning on heading to? You have a great team!

aquaFeisty
January 11th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Hi Heather!

Thanks, nice to hear from you! The darling baby is now a shrieking 19 month old who forgot to read the chapter about separation anxiety peaking at 18 months. We'll see how the meets go.

Chris and I are actually swimming on different teams this year. We are a house divided! :p He left Waves to coach Academy Bullets Masters and I'm still at Waves. For sure we will be at the Big Dog Masters meet, Superbowl meet, and the Bloomington meet (Chris is doing the clinic with Nadine again and this year Meg and I will join him down there). I imagine we'll do more meets too. As for the official Waves list of meets - the latest is always posted on our website:
http://www.napervillewaves.org

Hope you had a good state meet last year. Mine was good for the 50's and my 100 free was decent... after that I kind of unraveled. Good luck and hope to see you around at some meets. Let me know what ones you guys are going to.

Carrie

Caped Crusader
January 11th, 2007, 04:06 PM

I'm a teddy bear.

I'm also a chauffeur. (insert anti-banana smilie)

The Fortress
January 11th, 2007, 04:12 PM
I'm a teddy bear.

I'm also a chauffeur. (insert anti-banana smilie)

I thought you were a workaholic.

I thought you were a smilie-hater like Geek.

I'm a starving butterflyer.