PDA

View Full Version : How did you do in the One Hour Postal?

gull
January 6th, 2007, 03:41 PM
My goal was 4500; I went 4550, holding 1:19s. My training partner pulled away at 3000 and finished with 4625; I didn't try to stay with him. The first 2500 felt great (effortless?), but after 3000 I began feeling hungry and didn't want to bonk (we swam at 7am so there was no prerace meal other than my usual latte). Surprisingly, my time at the 3000 mark was only 15 seconds slower than my 3000 Postal time in November. My breathing pattern for the first 3500 was two breaths on the left, one on the right--which worked well. Looking forward to tapering (and shaving) at the end of the month for the Charlotte meet where I'll be squaring off with the Geek (and my training partner) in the 500. One of my college coaches used to say that the 500 is a sprint. Now I believe him.

I think I have adequate conditioning. I need to focus on technique and race pace swimming.

CreamPuff
January 21st, 2007, 01:02 PM
Gull,

Awesome job exceeding your goal! :notworthy:

I just did the swim today. Holy cow! It was fun and he** at the same time.

Being a sprinter, I went out at a good clip. I did NOT hydrate well before the race and paid for it later with leg cramps starting up at the 30 minute mark. :frustrated:

(I'm used to races that are 5 minutes or less). I had to stop and drink water from the bottle with 10 minutes to go and I slowed down significantly within those last 10 minutes.

Had a goal of 5000 and did 5080. Ultimate/ dream goal was 5150, but with the stopping and cramping, I fell short of it. I think it will be helpful to actually train serious distance for this in the future. . . Yikes. Hopefully, my coach is NOT reading this. :) She'll give me 8x800 if I'm not careful. :rofl:

I have a new respect for distance swimmers. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Wow! They are swimmers of steel.

Other than the leg cramps, it just seemed like a mental game (stay positive) the whole way through. I broke it up into 4 15 minute segments which helped tremendously. Breathed every 2 - ick and sometimes every 3. So much turning. . . But, felt okay otherwise (minus my legs). Need to try and find someone to do this with me next time!! But, a great counter/ timer did help.

Lord, you really need to be crazy to do this. :banana:

scyfreestyler
January 21st, 2007, 01:51 PM
Impressive showing from both of you. Congrats!

scyfreestyler
January 21st, 2007, 01:54 PM
Found this on GoSwim this AM..

Men 25-29: 6115 by Daniel Veatch (I think that’s the most swum by ANYONE of any age)
Men 40-44: 5775 by Jeff Erwin
Men 45-49: 5500 by Sandy Macdonald

Women 30-34: 5625 by Lisa Hazen (I think the women’s all-time record)
Women 35-39: 5415 by Laurie Hug
Women 40-44: 5325 by Karlyn Pipes-Neilsen

She Man was within chow blowing distance of Karlyn Pipes-Neilsen!

FlyQueen
January 21st, 2007, 11:32 PM
Congrats to all! I still stand by my stance of having NO desire to see how far I could swim in an hour, but I have major respect for anyone who tries it. After swimming all four 50s at my meet today and the 100 free, I'm feeling very wimpy ... :confused:

CreamPuff
January 22nd, 2007, 08:12 AM
Thanks Matt and Heather for your kind words.

Still a LONG way from those top swimmers. But, ya gotta start somewhere. :)
Matt, that would be some major, projectile chow blowing. :joker: I remember looking up those times before my swim and just thinking "Wow!" and then doing my own thing.

Heather, swimming all the 50s and 100 free is a LOT in a meet (at least I think so). In fact, I think I remember swimming just the 50s at some meets.
Did I read that you did some personal bests even not feeling 100% (had a hint of a cold)? That's awesome! How did those swims go? How was your 50 fly?

Looking forward to hearing more 1 hour postal stories!! If nothing else, I feel that swim increases anyone's threshold for pain. :woot:

BillS
January 25th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I joined my Masters group in September '05, and did the 1 hour in January. I remember hating it, looking at the clock a lot, and having my technique fall apart fairly often.

This morning I hated it, looked at the clock a lot, and held my stroke a lot better -- and went about 10% further. That seems like decent improvement in a year. I'll take it, anyway.

Peter Cruise
January 25th, 2007, 02:36 PM
This postal meet- are you all talking yards or meters?

BillS
January 25th, 2007, 02:43 PM
You will note that I cleverly avoided any mention of actual yardage/meterage, so as to avoid unfavorable (for me) comparisons with my high-mileage brethren/sisteren. But the results are tabulated in yards, so I would assume the distances related by the others are yards. I swam it in SCM, and the results sheet says to multiply the result by 1.0936 to calculate yards.

knelson
January 25th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Had a goal of 5000 and did 5080.

Wow. Very impressive! I still haven't done it yet. Not sure if I'll get it in or not.

CreamPuff
January 25th, 2007, 03:54 PM
This postal meet- are you all talking yards or meters?

I'm talking yards. Meters - I WISH!! :laugh2:

CreamPuff
January 25th, 2007, 03:57 PM
I joined my Masters group in September '05, and did the 1 hour in January. I remember hating it, looking at the clock a lot, and having my technique fall apart fairly often.

This morning I hated it, looked at the clock a lot, and held my stroke a lot better -- and went about 10% further. That seems like decent improvement in a year. I'll take it, anyway.

Great job Bill! I'm a semi-seasoned swimmer and the postal scares the heck out of me - still does. I started to worry about it a couple days prior to the swim. I know my form fell apart about halfway into the swim. Instead of gliding across the water it felt more like "ker-plunk, ker-plunk" due to my breathing every two. I really don't think I'll be able to do 10% further next year - I think that's a super improvement you made.:notworthy: I too kept looking at the clock on occasion - was helpful and a bit distracting.

poolraat
January 25th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Great job Bill! I'm a semi-seasoned swimmer and the postal scares the heck out of me - still does. I started to worry about it a couple days prior to the swim. I know my form fell apart about halfway into the swim. Instead of gliding across the water it felt more like "ker-plunk, ker-plunk" due to my breathing every two. I really don't think I'll be able to do 10% further next year - I think that's a super improvement you made.:notworthy: I too kept looking at the clock on occasion - was helpful and a bit distracting.

It sounds like this was your first time for the 1 hour. If so, that was an awesome swim.:applaud:
I've done it twice and hope to do it again this Sat. if I can get my wife or one of the kids out of bed to count and time for me. My biggest disadvantage to doing well is I am unable to do quality training between Thanksgiving and New Years because our pool closes during that time. For me it's just survival. I don't like to watch the clock. It just seems to make it drag on that much longer. I'll have my timer let me know every 500 and I just try to do it as a continuous set of 500's Seems easier to break it up that way.

rtodd
January 25th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I'm ready to throw up just reading this thread. I couldn't even imagine.

kristilynn
January 25th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I was actually thinking of starting a thread similar to this one, so it's great that someone else has done it for me.

First of all, I am a distance swimmer, and until I read Kristina's distance I was pretty proud of my swim...

I swam it yesterday morning during my regular practice time, 5:15 a.m. This was the 3rd time for me. All of the previous times, my goal was to hit 5000, and every single January, I was sicker than sick. I always did the swim anyway, and always fell shy of 5000 (4995 in 2005 was particularly frustrating!).

Anyway, I swam it straight, no stopping for water, but thankfully I had no cramping issues like Kristina. At the 3000, I was a touch ahead of my 3000 postal swim, so I knew that I was on pace and felt pretty good. By the end of the 4000, I was simply in pain.

I think that the hour swim is such a mental race, I sooo wanted to just stop. When I finally hit the 5000 mark and had time left, I just about did stop. However, it sounds like it's a good thing that I didn't. I finished with 5085, and I think that I'm in the same age group as Kristina, so I'm glad that I kept going!

I can't believe that Kristina calls herself a sprinter! That's an incredible distance. I'd like to have her for a training partner.

CreamPuff
January 26th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Awesome swim Kristi!! Congratulations! You are tough. :applaud: I feel a bit better knowing that super strong free swimmers (like you!) also have to power through it and "gut it out."

Yea - as a kid I would cry and whine so as not to swim anything over a 200 (and I really did prefer 100s and 50s - 200s were getting into too long of a race for me). So, things haven't changed too much. Just trying something new to get in better shape (and trying to disprove that sprint OR distance mentality) -and attempting not to cry (as much) about it. It's funny that missing out on the distance stuff as a kid, I really missed out on a huge part of the sport!

I mentioned to my coach that distance free is like a completely different sport. There appears to be prolonged pain?! :dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse: When first getting into a bit of distance last year I was really like, "How do people do this?" It's better now. . .

It would be great to practice with eachother. But, your being in Idaho. . . Do you find yourself with mostly boys/ men as your training partners? That's what I have here in GA. They are frustrating at times (although I've found a good group now), but I'm thankful for it come competition time.

Thanks for posting! I hope to have the guts to try it again next year.

Ivor
January 26th, 2007, 10:07 AM
I managed to deliver five letters, two large parcels and a small package within the hour. I was relatively happy with my performance, but hope to do better next year.

swimr4life
January 26th, 2007, 10:51 AM
I can't believe that Kristina calls herself a sprinter! That's an incredible distance. I'd like to have her for a training partner.

Kristina is an AWESOME training partner. She pushes herself every yard along the way in practice....which in turn makes me push myself. Kristina, I MISS YOU! Hopefully I will be back very soon. I used to be able to stay up with her somewhat....now she blows my doors off. I think she is more of a distance swimmer than she realizes!

swimr4life
January 26th, 2007, 10:53 AM
I managed to deliver five letters, two large parcels and a small package within the hour. I was relatively happy with my performance, but hope to do better next year.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That sounds like my kind of postal performance!

poolraat
January 26th, 2007, 11:14 AM
I swam it yesterday morning during my regular practice time, 5:15 a.m. This was the 3rd time for me. All of the previous times, my goal was to hit 5000, and every single January, I was sicker than sick. I always did the swim anyway, and always fell shy of 5000 (4995 in 2005 was particularly frustrating!).

Way to go Kristi!!:banana: :banana: :banana:

I wish I could have come up last Sat. and swam it with Jill's group.
KIDS!!!:mad:
Now I have to do it by myself and that will make it soooo much harder to do because so much of it is mental.

BTW: Are you guys planning any fun meets this spring? I could sure use some time trials before Nationals.

some_girl
January 26th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I won by not swimming it.

Kevin in MD
January 26th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Cracked 5,000 for the first time in my 7 year swim career.

Pretty darn happy with that.

kristilynn
January 26th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Kristina,

I do train with men for the most part. My regular training partner is great. He started out as a sprinter, but I've almost converted him to a distance swimmer. Much to his surprise, he discovered that he likes the 500, after swimming it at Nationals last year and kicking my butt! Boo-hoo. Maybe I'll talk him into a 1000 for this year, so he can beat me again.

There are a few other guys who I train with occasionally, but they are so much faster than I am that it can get depressing. Sometimes I'll end up in the same lane as Jeff Erwin (mentioned earlier in this thread for his hour-postal record) during long course season, and I lose track of the number of times he laps me, even in a 50M pool.:(

How many yards did you get in each 15 minute section? Obviously you must have been around 1250 each time, but I'm curious how your yardage changed with fatigue. Also, how much of the 15 minutes was left for rest after you finished each section? I've never tried breaking it up; don't know if it would work for me.

Floyd,

I haven't heard anything about meets for this spring. If I do, I'll let you know. Good luck in your postal. I know that it's hard to do alone. I can never seem to make it to the Sat. and Sun. sessions arranged by Jill, so I end up swimming alone during regular practice times.

FlyQueen
January 26th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks Matt and Heather for your kind words.

Still a LONG way from those top swimmers. But, ya gotta start somewhere. :)
Matt, that would be some major, projectile chow blowing. :joker: I remember looking up those times before my swim and just thinking "Wow!" and then doing my own thing.

Heather, swimming all the 50s and 100 free is a LOT in a meet (at least I think so). In fact, I think I remember swimming just the 50s at some meets.
Did I read that you did some personal bests even not feeling 100% (had a hint of a cold)? That's awesome! How did those swims go? How was your 50 fly?

Looking forward to hearing more 1 hour postal stories!! If nothing else, I feel that swim increases anyone's threshold for pain. :woot:

Kristina, sorry I just saw this today ... I did a PB in the 100 free by .03 hahah ... it's still a PB and 2 seconds faster than I was in December at the same meet/pool. The 50 fly was .6 faster than December and felt better but I was on crack when I swam it and decided to breathe every other stroke. I dropped another second on the relay when I remembered to keep my head down ...

I have another meet this Sunday so keep your fingers crossed. This time I'm doing the 100 fly instead of the 50 breast, they probably take me about the same time ...

Thanks for asking!

I'm so impressed with your postal swim. That is an amazing pace!

CreamPuff
January 26th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Hi Kristi,

You know, I realized who you are! I look at the top 10 and I see your name up there with Lori Z Dodd. It's great to put a name with a face. You're Kristi D Lee, right? Your times are very, very inspirational to me!!

Just to clarify, I *mentally* broke up the swim into 4 15 minute segments. My plan was not to stop at all. Counter simply put in a kickboard for me for each 15 minutes. Sorry for not explaining it correctly. So, I made it through the first 3 15 minute segments without stopping. At the very end of the swim, I got some really bad leg cramping (which scared me b/c in my sprints and even 500s, that NEVER happens). I kept picturing the Ironwoman who crawled to the finish at Kona some years back. . . anyway, I digress.

My coach did fill me in that you have to hydrate beginning the day before on these kinds of things. Sheesh. Who knew?!

The last 10 minutes, I stopped to drink water and held a conversation with my counter to let him know that if I sink to the bottom of the pool (from cramping), please rescue me. Fortuantely, no rescue was needed! I'm guessing I lost about 30 to 45 seconds with that stop. :laugh2:

In looking at my splits, in the first 15 minutes I did 1300 yards; at 30 minutes I was at 2600 yds; at 45 minutes, was at 3850; then finished up with 5080 or 1230 yds the last 15 minutes. So, you can see where I slowed and took the break during that last segment. But, I did not stop at each 15 minute segment - no way! Counter just notified me of it. Was happy to break 5K for a first effort. There are some pretty fast distance gals out there?! Lord, how they do 5300 and 5600 - that's amazing!

Awesome job on converting a sprinter!! Miracles can happen! Yea, it's always a treat when there's a gal to join in the practices with us. But, I hope to see you at Nats! I think I may go.

Again, super job!!

The Fortress
January 26th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I won by not swimming it.

Me too. :groovy:

I was going to do it all fly like Kirk Nelson suggested. Then I thought about doing it all monofin SDK just for practice.

But then reason prevailed and I boycotted the event in protest of the fact there is no postal sprint quadrathlon. I will carry on with my boycott until the rules are changed. It's flat out discrimination. ;)

Good luck in that 100 fly, FlyQueen! Use those SDKs you've been working on!! Report back!

BillS
January 26th, 2007, 07:24 PM
I should clarify that while my distance was nothing to write home about compared to these folks, I was pleased with my time.

knelson
January 26th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I was pleased with my time.

Now that's funny!

I've been out of the water for the last week on a ski trip. I finally got in today and boy did it feel pitiful. I guess I've got a few more days to do this thing, but after swimming today it could be ugly.

CreamPuff
January 27th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Kristina, sorry I just saw this today ... I did a PB in the 100 free by .03 hahah ... it's still a PB and 2 seconds faster than I was in December at the same meet/pool. The 50 fly was .6 faster than December and felt better but I was on crack when I swam it and decided to breathe every other stroke. I dropped another second on the relay when I remembered to keep my head down ...

I have another meet this Sunday so keep your fingers crossed. This time I'm doing the 100 fly instead of the 50 breast, they probably take me about the same time ...

Thanks for asking!

I'm so impressed with your postal swim. That is an amazing pace!

Fly Queen,

Good luck this weekend! Let me know how the 100 fly goes! We'd all like to hear about it. I'm actually starting to like that event again (it was my favorite one as a kid). The first few times I swam it as a masters, it was rough. But now, it's starting to feel much more smooth. I hope you are feeling 100% now.

.6 of a time drop in the 50?! While not feeling 100% and breathing every other stroke?! Holy cow! What I'd give to drop .6 in the 50 fly. :bow:
Amazing!

In thinking of the thread, "Who'd you like to race," I vote as NOT wanting to race you! Sounds like your training is paying off! :applaud: Great job on your 100 as well. The 100 free is one of the hardest events out there (IMO). If I weren't feeling 100%, I wouldn't have even shown up to the block. Super job doing a best time!

poolraat
January 27th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I should clarify that while my distance was nothing to write home about compared to these folks, I was pleased with my time.

This is how I feel. I'm almost embarrassed to post my distance after seeing some of the others but here goes: 3850. It was awful!! Nothing like 2 years ago. I guess having been sick for the past month and only having 3 weeks to get ready (my pool was closed from Thanksgiving until the 2nd week of Jan) really had an effect. Oh well!! At least I can say thatI did it.
:banana: :banana:

CreamPuff
January 27th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Poolraat,
I think you deserve kudos for doing that swim. I've been w/ masters for 5 years and it took me 5 years to show up to do it - I was chicken for those 5 years. So, I think you are way ahead of the game. Great job!! Now, isn't your threshold to handle pain higher? I won't say that after swimming this that the 1650 looks like a walk in the park - but the 500 sure does!! I hope you can agree.

Now go get yourself some :drink: and/ or :hug:

Kirk Nelson: Hope your swim went okay!

CreamPuff
January 27th, 2007, 02:22 PM

Hee hee
My hubby (non swimmer) said he did the hour postal so fast that it only took him 1 minute.

some_girl
January 27th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I will carry on with my boycott until the rules are changed. It's flat out discrimination. ;)

Good luck in that 100 fly, FlyQueen! Use those SDKs you've been working on!! Report back!

I shall join that boycott. And good luck FlyQueen; may you go fast, but not as fast as me!

poolraat
January 27th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Poolraat,
I think you deserve kudos for doing that swim. I've been w/ masters for 5 years and it took me 5 years to show up to do it - I was chicken for those 5 years. So, I think you are way ahead of the game. Great job!! Now, isn't your threshold to handle pain higher? I won't say that after swimming this that the 1650 looks like a walk in the park - but the 500 sure does!! I hope you can agree.

Now go get yourself some :drink: and/ or :hug:

Thanks Kristina. I was a bit disappointed though as I had hoped to do better than I did 2 years ago (over 4000). I'll get :drink: :drink: tonight after the HS basketball game.

SearayPaul
January 27th, 2007, 11:13 PM
I swam my postal today and did 3550 in 60 minutes and 5 seconds. I will be proud of that distance as this past year swimming one or two days a week is the most I had time for. This is an 18 percent better performance than my goal of 3000 yards. Not as many yards as a lot of ya'll but I still get the T-Shirt.

The first 200 was tough as a got a foot cramp at the end of 25 yards. What a dumb aligment. Once that cleared up the swim to 2200 was steady and easy. From 2200 to 3000 was not fluid or smooth probably more mental than physical. At 3000 I looked at the pace clock and new I could make another 500 if I got my act together. I was surprised at the 500 that I had time left on the clock and went for 50 more. Just missed getting in on time. Next year I will make it.

FlyQueen
January 28th, 2007, 04:01 PM
I'm posting this here hoping no one really pays any attention to it ... so my meet today was rather crappy .... I scratched the 100 fly because my shoulder was aching during warm-up ... I swam a bad time in my 100 free ... I was faster last week ... I swam crappy in the 50 back ... I swam a good 50 free with just 2 breaths!!! YEAH! Then I tanked the 50 fly ... I don't know what was going on with my fly today it felt like crap and was so slow ... oh well, I have a meet each of the next two weekends and I'm swimming the same events ...

knelson
January 28th, 2007, 05:23 PM
The first 200 was tough as a got a foot cramp at the end of 25 yards.

That's a tough way to start out. Congrats on destroying your goal distance. Well done!

Peter Cruise
January 28th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Heather- someday we'll meet in person and I'll teach you the butterfrog: consistency personified.

FlyQueen
January 28th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I would rather not swim then swim butterfrog ... it would combine my absolute worst kick with the worst part of my fly ... disaster!

I think I'd rather go back to LSD running then ever swim even a 25 butterfrog ...

CreamPuff
January 28th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I'm posting this here hoping no one really pays any attention to it ... so my meet today was rather crappy .... I scratched the 100 fly because my shoulder was aching during warm-up ... I swam a bad time in my 100 free ... I was faster last week ... I swam crappy in the 50 back ... I swam a good 50 free with just 2 breaths!!! YEAH! Then I tanked the 50 fly ... I don't know what was going on with my fly today it felt like crap and was so slow ... oh well, I have a meet each of the next two weekends and I'm swimming the same events ...

Sorry it was a rough meet. But - I have to say - 2 breaths in 50 free?! Yowie!
How'd you do that?! :notworthy: I do 3 and would love to get down to two. One down and one back? Or two on the second lap?

BTW, I'm not into butterfrog either. I may as well be doing double arm backstroke with flutter kick. Blah.

chaos
January 28th, 2007, 08:33 PM
goal 5000 yds (fell a little short)
swam it today 4874 yds (best i've felt in a couple of weeks)
1000 splits
11:59
12:12
12:26
12:24

Peter Cruise
January 28th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Heather- I've got a whole herd of goats I've gotten from you. Someday (when I'm back in shape ie drop 20lbs) we'll have a private postal 50fly (scm) and I'll even use my pathetic, puling dolphin kick.

knelson
January 28th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I'll even use my pathetic, puling dolphin kick.

Leave it to Peter to use a word I've never heard before.

I even had to look it up and it's legit :)

FlyQueen
January 28th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Sorry it was a rough meet. But - I have to say - 2 breaths in 50 free?! Yowie!
How'd you do that?! :notworthy: I do 3 and would love to get down to two. One down and one back? Or two on the second lap?

BTW, I'm not into butterfrog either. I may as well be doing double arm backstroke with flutter kick. Blah.

I think it's one of those mental things. I did one down around the flags and then one on the way back about halfway, maybe not quite. I was dying and had to keep telling myself not to breathe from the flags in on the way home. I was happy with the race and the time is starting to drop so that's good ...

I :bow: :bow: everytime you post a time or a distance ... you are amazing ... and if that is you in your avatar very pretty!

The Fortress
January 29th, 2007, 01:20 AM
I think it's one of those mental things. I did one down around the flags and then one on the way back about halfway, maybe not quite. I was dying and had to keep telling myself not to breathe from the flags in on the way home. I was happy with the race and the time is starting to drop so that's good ...

I :bow: :bow: everytime you post a time or a distance ... you are amazing ... and if that is you in your avatar very pretty!

Kristina:

You are amazing! I think it's quite safe to say you're not a high maintenance sprinter anymore. You're becoming a distance junkie. Kudos. How're you ever going to pick your events for a big meet? You have so many choices?!

FlyQueen:

I can't take two breaths on a 50. I need three. But you're definitely right, breathing past the flags doesn't help any. Great job!

Peter:

Puling may be a word, but it does not apply to the dolphin kick. Maybe to butterfrog.;)

Poolraat:

You did amazing for a sprinter! You got guts to even try it! FlyQueen, some_girl and I are big (although very smart) sissies.

Reading about this has made me so tired, I'm actually going to bed. Congrats to everyone who competed.

KaizenSwimmer
January 29th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Set a goal of 4675. Swam 4660.
Been feeling rather poorly for two weeks. I felt more exhausted -- while swimming slowly -- at Thursday night's practice than I can recall feeling in ages. But I thought I could manage to maintain a 1:17 pace by focusing on "opportunistic relaxation" ("marionette arms" recovery, soft hands, light touch on catch, compact light well-tuned 2-beat, "lazy" turns). I was right on that pace for nearly 4K then my legs seized up just before 50 minutes (I started getting small cramps at 38 min but could relieve by flexing my feet backward as I somersaulted on my turns) and the last 10 min were such a struggle.
My 1000 splits were 12:56, 12:51, 12:49 then back up to 12:56. I think I'd have been between 4675 and 4700 if I'd continued to feel as I did in the middle. Until the cramps everything was feeling well-tuned and calibrated.
History suggests that result will probably place between 5th and 8th.

Improvement: Three years ago I went 4400 for the Hour so am pleased to have gone 5% farther. And my split at 3000 yds -- 38:36 -- compares well with the 38:39 I did in the 3000 Postal several months ago.

kristilynn
January 30th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Kristina,

Yes, you have identified me correctly, and I also found you on the top ten lists -- many times! Wow, you're very diversified to kick butt in the 50's and the 200 fly. Congrats. I am planning on going to Nats and I look forward to meeting you:p

And to everyone...

Congratulations on finishing the one hour postal. It's so grueling that it's a good thing it's only once a year. If it were any more frequent, I think that I'd have a tough time forgetting how much it hurts and would chicken out!

Floyd,

That's a great swim -- especially after being away from the pool for so long!

newmastersswimmer
January 31st, 2007, 02:57 PM
O.k. I just looked up Kristina's times too (sorry Kristina!).....Now I have proven my hypothesis about both Kristina and Beth.....and that is that they are both smokin fast....its now official folks!....LOL!! Congrats on breaking the 5000 yard barrier on your 1 hour postal swim Kristina! I noticed that you didn't swim the mile or 1000 in 2006 though? I bet you could have placed well within the top ten in both of those races as well.

Newmastersswimmer

CreamPuff
January 31st, 2007, 05:39 PM
Jim, you made my week! Thanks for the very kind words.
I've got my eye on the 35-39 age group at this point as I'll be moving up there this summer. So, just trying to train well now to keep up with 'em later.

I'm using the "dip my toe" strategy regarding more distance events.
Started out swimming masters after 12 year break from swimming.
Raced the 50s - I know those.
Then competed in a few 100s and 200s.
Did a few open water swims "for fun" and didn't care about times or rankings.
Did the 500 a couple of times along w/ some 30 minutes swims and the 1 hr postal.
Am slowly changing my attitude about distance from :frustrated: to :hug:
Now doing whatever coach throws out at me - sprint to distance. Less whining involved.
Would like to do the longer events - it's just hard to fit them into the meet along with all my other events. (I love the flys, all sprints, some IM).

Which reminds me, I need to write one of my AG coaches and start out with, I know I was a high maintenance sprinter and big pain in the a@@ and terrible to deal with, BUT. . . 19 years later, I'm finally starting to understand what you were trying to help me with regarding distance; life lessons; etc. . . :joker:

CreamPuff
January 31st, 2007, 05:47 PM

Mental things? I think it's a lung thing for me - cannot hack it! :rofl: But I will continue to follow your great example/ lead! I'm so impressed with your two breaths!! It's frickin' hard on that short race! If I don't get three, I start to flail - very ugly to watch.

Come on now, join in with me on the distance stuff!! If you can do fly, you can do distance free! I really feel fly is more difficult. It's not like it's breaststroke!

Thank you for making my day with your really kind words! That's a pic of me in Cuernevaca, Mexico.

swimr4life
January 31st, 2007, 05:57 PM
Newmastersswimmer,
You're so good for my ego. You've made my day! I can't wait to get back in the water. I'm sidelined for a while now and hope I can get back to those times in about a year!

Kristina,
I'm so proud of you! I think you are swimming amazing because you have worked so hard! You deserve every bit of success you get. You are more of a distance swimmer than you realize now!

FlyQueen
February 1st, 2007, 11:46 PM
Mental things? I think it's a lung thing for me - cannot hack it! :rofl: But I will continue to follow your great example/ lead! I'm so impressed with your two breaths!! It's frickin' hard on that short race! If I don't get three, I start to flail - very ugly to watch.

Come on now, join in with me on the distance stuff!! If you can do fly, you can do distance free! I really feel fly is more difficult. It's not like it's breaststroke!

Thank you for making my day with your really kind words! That's a pic of me in Cuernevaca, Mexico.

It's totally mental. At least for me. I think part of the strategy is planning on where to breathe. I've done slow 50s no breath in practice so I figured I could handle just doint 2, I really thought I was going to need 3, but I pulled out. The last few strokes were probably very ugly ...

Ummm ... the 50 fly vs. the 500 free? Are you kidding? The 100 fly vs. the 500 free, no question ... now the 200 fly vs. the 500 free and I'd have to think about that one ...

knelson
February 2nd, 2007, 12:18 AM
Do you really think breathing causes you to slow down that much? I doubt it. My opinion is breathe whenever you need to. Preferable not out of a turn, but otherwise there's no sense killing yourself just so you can say you did a 50 in X number of breaths.

some_girl
February 2nd, 2007, 12:23 AM
Breathing slows me down at least .4s: that's what I was beaten by the last time I breathed into the wall and my opponent did not. We were even beforehand.

KaizenSwimmer
February 2nd, 2007, 06:13 AM
I'm so impressed with your two breaths!!

Joe Bottom was the first to break 20 sec in the 50 Free, at 1977 NCAAs in Cleveland. He swam without a breath when he did so. I asked Peter Daland how they trained for that race. He told me that Joe did 1 to 3 dive start no-breath 50s after practice a couple of times a week throughout the season. Very easily and slowly at the beginning of the season. Progressively faster throughout the season.
This thread does seem to have strayed about as far as possible from the topic.

CreamPuff
February 2nd, 2007, 08:11 AM
Do you really think breathing causes you to slow down that much? I doubt it. My opinion is breathe whenever you need to. Preferable not out of a turn, but otherwise there's no sense killing yourself just so you can say you did a 50 in X number of breaths.

Yea. I think it does slow me down. I feel my stroke break up (turnover decreases and rhythm is interrupted - arms and legs). It's my fault for getting in the habit of breathing poorly (not integrating it into my stroke more). I really swim differently in the 50 than I do in a 200 and 500 free. Plus, in watching myself in on video, you can see the disruption on the 50 when I breathe. In watching the gals who are swimming 50s in 24 seconds (the couple that I look up to), they breathe twice total in the race. Anyhoo, just working on building up my lung capacity in the meantime. I agree in that beathing as needed in the 200 and up is fine - as long as it's not excessive.

newmastersswimmer
February 3rd, 2007, 01:52 PM
Newmastersswimmer,
You're so good for my ego. You've made my day! I can't wait to get back in the water. I'm sidelined for a while now and hope I can get back to those times in about a year! posted by Swimr4life

I have confidence in you that you will be back in top form soon Beth!....Sorry to hear about your injury though. I have been suffering from an infection in my left leg for the past several days and today was the first time in 4 days that I could actually walk without the aid of crutches. Fortunately I only missed a couple of days in the water so far.

Newmastersswimmer

poolraat
March 7th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Preliminary results are out.

http://www.maverickswim.org/

SwimStud
March 7th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Hey they didn't list my 10 miles...Donna did you tell them??
:rofl:

knelson
March 7th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Very interesting! I see Robert Margalis broke Dan Veatch's record by swimming 6,135 yards. Margalis broke the AR in the 1,000 free a few days ago with an 8:42, so that postal swim was probably just a nice training swim for him (holding 58.7 hundreds on the one hour vs. 52.2 on the 1,000).

Aqua Jock
March 7th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I try to go postal when I swim the 50 breast.

AJ