PDA

View Full Version : Gasping in the turn...

SwimStud
January 7th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Hehe ok Yeah I'm gasping in my turns on Breast. and in a 200Y event there's 7 of them. I am sure I am losing seconds in my push off and glide b/c of conditioning.

I am going to get into the reace prep work again tomorrow...Warm up then
1 x 200 (my mentality set)
7 x 100 on 4:00 (working my way to 10 reps)
4 x 50 on 2:00
4 x 25 on 1:00

I am curious if anyone thinks after the above workout, I should do 10 reps of say swimming 2 or 3 strokes to the turn and pushing off and repeating without rest or something like that. Is that a good way of building some stamina for that particular part of the race or am I doing enough?
I read somewhere about vertical pushoff in 7ft water but my pool goes from 6ft to the dive pit.
Whatever happens I can only race with whatever I have in 3 weeks.

Redbird Alum
January 7th, 2007, 11:49 PM
I'm not a breastroker, so I can't speak specifically about the gasp at the turn, however I would suggest you start using the 100's and 50's in your set to do the three strokes in with as strong an off the wall push and first few strokes as you can at each turn/wall.

If you can focus on this as you practice, it will become second nature by the time you dive into the meet. The old saying is you will gravitate in a meet to what you do in practice, especially once you start to tire.

Keep at it. Three weeks should give you plenty of time.

SwimStud
January 8th, 2007, 08:56 AM
I'm not a breastroker, so I can't speak specifically about the gasp at the turn, however I would suggest you start using the 100's and 50's in your set to do the three strokes in with as strong an off the wall push and first few strokes as you can at each turn/wall.

If you can focus on this as you practice, it will become second nature by the time you dive into the meet. The old saying is you will gravitate in a meet to what you do in practice, especially once you start to tire.

Keep at it. Three weeks should give you plenty of time.

Hehehe yeah the tiring out part is where it gets tough. I've been a little congested this past week too, which hasn't helped. Tonight might be a bit better.

scyfreestyler
January 8th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I thought gasping at breast turns was normal. :dunno:

SwimStud
January 8th, 2007, 01:38 PM
I thought gasping at breast turns was normal. :dunno:

Hehehe
It could be due to the last vestige of my cough/cold. I felt very breathless and lacking power for the push off... I hope to see something better tonight.

poolraat
January 8th, 2007, 01:50 PM
.... I felt very breathless and lacking power for the push off...

I feel like this every time I swim breast. I just thought it was normal.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Allen Stark
January 8th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Hopefully,it is just the remnants of your cold. Keep trying on every turn to make it perfect. View every turn in workout as a chance to practice perfection,that way on that last 50 when your lungs are burning on the pullouts your body will only know how to do it right.

SwimStud
January 8th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Hopefully,it is just the remnants of your cold. Keep trying on every turn to make it perfect. View every turn in workout as a chance to practice perfection,that way on that last 50 when your lungs are burning on the pullouts your body will only know how to do it right.

Will do Allen. They were burning alright!

The Fortress
January 8th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Hehe ok Yeah I'm gasping in my turns on Breast. and in a 200Y event there's 7 of them. I am sure I am losing seconds in my push off and glide b/c of conditioning.

You could swim fly or back instead. :thhbbb:

Michael Phelps breathes every stroke on fly as you know. ;)

SwimStud
January 8th, 2007, 03:20 PM
You could swim fly or back instead. :thhbbb:

Michael Phelps breathes every stroke on fly as you know. ;)

I'm saving fly for the colonies, along with my shave, and fake tan...

:rofl: