PDA

View Full Version : Who are all these people?

blainesapprentice
January 7th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Hey

So, I am kind of new on here, I've been here for a month or so, but I still feel new here, I do not know anyone, and no one knows me! I am sure there are other people on here who are newer as well, and would like to meet all you long time members:-D

So I propose we start a thread just introducing yourself and maybe saying a thing or two about yourself, where your from, what you swim, whatever information you would like to share with the group:wave:

Hopefully, this isn't a completely lame idea?

GoodWillHunter
January 7th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Good evening! I'm Lisa I'm a mom of five kids, just recently got into Master's swimming as a way to get out and do something constructive. I'm in South Texas. Um, I don't really have an event. I'm lucky to complete 1500 yards, much less have a specific stroke, lol.

And, no, not a lame idea. I'm clueless as well.

blainesapprentice
January 7th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I guess since this was my idea it would be smart of me to start things off...

So, my name is Morgan, I have been swimming since I was in 5th grade, I am now a junior in college and 20years old. I swim division 2 swimming on a scholarship, but I do not really feel like I made the right decision for me, as a swimmer in my school choice, as I have not improved since transfering colleges. I swim pretty much anything, my college coach primarily swims me in the 50 and 100 freestyle, and occasionally the 100fly and 200free, our teams small, and I am the primary female sprinter, so the 50 and 100free have just become kind of my events as a result.

Oh, I am from New York, my home home is in Pine Bush, which is down near New Paltz and the schwangunks (which I have seen a few members are also from). However, I go to school in Albany.

I am studying communication disorders at the moment, however, I really want to work with animals and animal conservation, such as with an agency such as WWF-World Wildlife Foundation, so I am dual majoring, with my second major being biology, and I will be applying to veterinary school once I finish that degree.

My family raises rabbits. We have about 70. ((thats just a fun fact for you all:-D))

And thats me in a nut shell.

:groovy:Morgan

GoodWillHunter
January 7th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I love rabbits. I want one, but I have a fox terrier. Not a good combination. Oh, yeah, I'm 34. I have a degree in English. I love hiking, swimming (duh!), gourmet cooking. I'm a weed worshipping branch biting tree hugger. That's it.

FindingMyInnerFish
January 7th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I'm fairly new to masters' swim practices and meets (have done one USMS sanctioned meet and two Senior Games meets (minimum age for those is 50 and I'm 56...and women over 70 have me for lunch).

I also have done some open water swims which are a lot of fun.

Besides swimming, I also run and have done everything from the 200m dash to the marathon.

Enjoy racing in both sports b/c it keeps me motivated to train and training keeps me fit/healthy.

Oh yes, animals... I have a cat... a female "tabby with 'tude" and she just rocks!

Besides being involved in these wonderful sports, I also teach college writing and am a free-lance writer and editor myself. And a perennial student of life.

Keepin' it fun!

SwimStud
January 7th, 2007, 10:31 PM
FAirly new here. I haven't swam competitively in 25 years. I got into swiming for health...came here for some advice and info...got inspired to race...and at the end of the month I will.

I have a Beagle...so a Rabbit is Definitely out of the question here!

Ivor
January 8th, 2007, 07:28 AM
I'm new here also so here goes . . . .

I live, work and swim in grey and overcast London, England, training with Barnet Copthall who are one of the largest (and may I say best) masters swimming clubs in Europe.

I've been doing masters swimming for 8 years (you can start at 19 here) and have competed at the World masters in Italy and California, plus the Europeans in France and Sweden. 50m freestyle and backstroke are my events (long course if possible).

This year I celebrate my second annual 29th birthday making me a recently aged-up B group master.

Out of the pool I run www.UptheBeavers.com (http://www.UptheBeavers.com), which is the most popular masters swimming website in Britain - though unlike in the US, the competition is not up to much.

Away from swimming I enjoying cooking my friends and missing out commas.

dorothyrde
January 8th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Welcome everyone. I learned to swim at age 39, and have been swimming Masters for 6 years. I don't compete much because of activities with my two children 13 and 18. I also have a husband and a dog :p .

I live in East Central Illinois, am an avid Illinois fan, although things are grim right now. I am a computer analyst at a software firm that does telecommunications software. I like to sing, play softball, read, exercise, hang on the internet.

My daughter just got up looking like it is Monday, so gotta go!

Superfly
January 8th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Hi all!
Per from Stockholm, Sweden here.
35 years old
Picked up swimming again 2 years ago after 16 years break. Back then I was on the youth national team...far from that shape today I am afraid. :)

Got a beatiful wife and two wonderful small daughters (1,5 and 4 years old).

Started swimming to get back into some sort of shape. Really enjoyed the masters team I started with and just had to go to meets to see if I could improve.

I'm a breaststroker trying to convert to fly since my knees are no longer what they used to be. Backstroke is not an option, but can do free rather OK for my age.

When I am not swimming I am dreaming of becoming a professional sailor...but spend way too little time on the water for that to ever happen...

/Per

The Fortress
January 8th, 2007, 11:30 AM
blainesapprentice:

If you want to get an idea of who we are read the "Masters Swimming Survey" at http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=6993&highlight=masters+swimming+survey

I myself am a 45 year old with three great kids (14, 12, 6) who keep me hopping. The kids and husband also compete in endurance sports: swiming, running and triathlons. Little one still does soccer, which is not my personal favorite youth sport.

I have been swimming masters for about 1 1/2 years, so I'm still pretty new. I'm a former age grouper and college swimmer who took 24 years off from swimming. Through nature and lack of sufficient time to train rigorously, I'm a sprinter (anything but breaststroke). I do compete when I'm not an ogre. I can be very ogre-ish about shoulders. Mine are apparently dessicated. I feel your pain on that bilateral operation ...

Sorry, I know you love animals, but I'm horrifically allergic to dogs -- so we don't have any. I'm allergic to cats too, but unfortunately I didn't find that out until after we'd had ours for some years, so he's still here making me sneeze. I hate to cook. I also love to run, competed for some years in road races, and am generally an exercise junkie. I love to travel. When I sit still, I'm an avid reader. Sometimes I actually work at my profession, the law, but I try not to too much.

knelson
January 8th, 2007, 12:17 PM
I'm Lisa I'm a mom of five kids

Oh, yeah, I'm 34.

Holy cow! Were they all single births? You've been busy.

Allen Stark
January 8th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I live in rural Oregon and work and swim in Lake Oswego,OR. My wife and I work together as Psychiatrists(yes all the jokes are true) and have been married 35 yr. We have 3 kids. The youngest just started college this year,but we don't have an empty nest as our daughter and her husband and their 4 cats and 1 dog moved back in with us to go to grad school. In any discussion of animals I suspect I will win the most species catagory. In addition to our daughters animals we have a dog,3 cats,2 goats,14 peacocks,5 geese,20 ducks and 12 guineas. As to swimming,I've been swimming masters for just under 33 yr. I'll swim any event that has a whip kick.

gull
January 8th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I am a 48 (almost 49) year old Cardiologist currently living in New Bern, NC (but returning to my Texas roots and relocating to Austin in June). I joined USMS in 2003 and swim middle distance free. My 15 year old daughter swims on the local YMCA team (I promised her a car when she can beat me in the 500). We have a yellow lab named Paco (after one of my college teammates) and a black lab named Grace (who is a very good swimmer).

Anyone else bothered by the fact that Ivor enjoys cooking his friends?

SwimStud
January 8th, 2007, 03:45 PM

Not really. I don't know him so we're not friends...:rofl: :rofl:

Good spot gull LOL

chaos
January 8th, 2007, 03:46 PM

England is not known as a culinary destination.

gull
January 8th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Good spot gull LOL

Actually, I believe it was intentional ("Eats, Shoots and Leaves").

SwimStud
January 8th, 2007, 03:47 PM

Hey hey hey now...don't make me get all Duncan Goodhew on you!

SwimStud
January 8th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Actually, I believe it was intentional ("Eats, Shoots and Leaves").

ah you're right I only read your wisecrack and forget the missing out commas bit tee-hee

Lightning
January 8th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Hi everyone, my first post after a month of reading yours' intently; I'm a 42 y/o with no competitive experience who started swimming masters 7 months ago and have gone from 10 laps huffing and puffing to 3400 yards in each of my 3 weekly workouts - and feeling pretty good about it too! Don't worry, however, I still have goals; lane one is getting old and so is watching the young ones blow by me in the higher lanes. I'm a long time basketball addict and as my knees and back have been giving out I had forsaken finding an outlet for my competitiveness until I stumbled on swimming - my 9y/o is in USA. He gives me instruction on my technique, which is humbling, but I reassure myself that I'm still taller than he is. My goal this year is to enter my first meets, get some baseline times, and then start whittling them down! I have enjoyed reading many of your discussions, especially those offering technique tips (to my son's chagrin)!

The Fortress
January 8th, 2007, 04:05 PM
I live in rural Oregon and work and swim in Lake Oswego,OR. My wife and I work together as Psychiatrists(yes all the jokes are true) and have been married 35 yr. We have 3 kids. The youngest just started college this year,but we don't have an empty nest as our daughter and her husband and their 4 cats and 1 dog moved back in with us to go to grad school. In any discussion of animals I suspect I will win the most species catagory. In addition to our daughters animals we have a dog,3 cats,2 goats,14 peacocks,5 geese,20 ducks and 12 guineas. As to swimming,I've been swimming masters for just under 33 yr. I'll swim any event that has a whip kick.

This is so sad. :( I'll never be able to come have therapy sessions in Oregon with you because of all that animal hair and dander and feathers. I'm getting itchy eyes just reading that post. I guess I could meet you at a chlorinated pool for our 100 IM. I'd be safe there.

Hey, I saw you swam a 25 or 50 free recently! Were you using the whip kick on that? :rofl:

Rich:

Is Duncan Goodhew a British swimmer or chef?

tmauney
January 8th, 2007, 04:45 PM
I am brand new to this. I swam from the time I was ten until the end of high school, then immediately began coaching. I actually coach two teams and I decided after an olympiad that I participated in this summer that I would get back into swimming competitively.

I am super excited!!!!:woot:

I am at the pool most days of the week anyway with the two teams and swim lessons, might as well start getting in more and training. I am a bit anxious though, I was never fast or a super star, but I was the kid that swam everything that everyone else wouldn't and never DQed (ever).

I also decided to get back into the water because I have recently lost 130+ pounds from a gastric by-pass and I need to tone up. The weight thing has always been an issue and will always be an issue, but now I am on the road to being healthy and I can actually swim better now that I could in HS.:banana:

Any advice for toning?

Thanks,

tmauney;)
</IMG></IMG>

geochuck
January 8th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I am an older fellow who has a lovely wife Chuckie, we have 6 children all who have taught swimming and are not children anymore. The have all worked in the special needs field but 3 have changed their professions but 3 still work with people in crisis. We have 6 grand children various ages from 26 to 1 year.

I have done lots of swimming and intend to do lots more.

SwimStud
January 8th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Rich:

Is Duncan Goodhew a British swimmer or chef?

Is nothing sacred? Duncan won us Brits a Gold in 1980 in yep you guessed it, Breaststroke!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_Goodhew

AnnG
January 8th, 2007, 05:26 PM
My family raises rabbits. We have about 70.

I am a 45-49 female backstroker/IM'er wannabe living in Eastern Oregon (the drier, chillier side of Mt. Hood), actually in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge, and I swim with the CG Masters in Hood River, Oregon. I also love open water events in our beautiful lake settings. I am a full time emergency services dispatcher and I work very wierd shifts that rotate so it makes getting to practice at any regular time difficult, I do the best I can.
Blainesapprentice: My daughter and I also raise and show rabbits! We have 33 holes with American Fuzzy Lops and I also recently started with Satin Angoras for my project.
In my other spare time I would like to become a quilter (!)

Allen Stark
January 8th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Fort. I don't have the animals at the office. Thanks to my fast twitch muscles I can swim a decent 50 of any non-supine stroke.

Concho Pearl
January 8th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Okay I'll go....

I'm a 45 yr. female, I'm a homeschool mom, who is back in the pool after 27 yrs. Swam competitively from 3rd grade to 11th.

I try my best to get to the pool 3 times a week doing 2000 yds per workout.
I do 50's & 100's free and back. Current goal is to do a .29 in my 50 free and as close to a minute in my 100. Have time trials in March and a local meet in April, I'm going to join USA swimming so I can swim more local and closer meets. I will joins Master as soon as I know I can make a meet, most are kinda far and have to weigh the expense. Want to at least join so I can hopefully swim in the Master Nationals in Austin in '08.

We have a dog, 2 cats, and I help my daughter with her Llama training. Jan and Feb are our big Llama months, so I have to squeeze in swimming when I can, so she and the llamas are on my front burner for next few weeks.

swim4me
January 8th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Hello. I just started swimming again in October for the first time since 1980. I am 44 (so I will age up this year). I swam in summer league and high school in both California and New Mexico, but I now live in South Texas. I prefer sprints of IM, Free or Breast. I work as a systems analyst, programmer, and sometimes project manager at a financial services company. Thursday will be my 21st wedding anniversary (my husband is an addicted runner and did the NY marathon in November). I ran several 5K's one 1/2 marathon and one marathon when I couldn't swim, but swimming has always been my passion. I have one daughter that swims and plays water polo, one dog (who hates to swim) and one parrot (he talks), Indian Ring-Necked Parakeet (loves water, though I only let faucet or shower water near him, no pools :rofl: ), that I raised from 5 weeks old and he will be 20 years ond in March.

gull
January 8th, 2007, 07:05 PM
...the llamas are on my front burner for next few weeks.

I suppose that's better than cooking your friends, but aren't you worried that the llamas will be overdone?

Paul Smith
January 8th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I'm 47, married to my wonderful wife Laura now for 13 years (we met at our college swimming alumni meet)....no kids but presently one spoiled dog (Jake). Started out playing water polo as a softmore in high school after losing a bet with my best friend (who was on the team). Liked it so much stayed around and swam for the team as well....

Ended up ditching my first love/sport (showing horses) not long after I started swimming.....partly beacuse I grew so fast (5'10 as a freshman, 6' 5" as a senior) I outgrew my jumper!

Walked on at UCSB and had a little success and a great time. Finished up my masters in clinical psycology and wanted to teach and go into private practice but ended up taking a few months off between my MA and entering the PhD program to ski in Vail....23 years later still here!

Stopped swimming in 1985....took up the "mountain life"; kayking, climbing, skiing, biking, etc.....but got back into masters in 2002....two shoulder surgeries and two knee surgeries later I'm trying to stay ahead of the youngsters as long as I can....!

wrybosome
January 8th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Hi all,

I mostly lurk but occasionally post. I'm a 34 year old chemist in the philadelphia area. 4 kids, 2 cats, and until yesterday a gerbil. I run, bike and do some (sad) gymnastics. Never swam competitively and got involved in the sport because I decided to do a few triathlons this next season. Swimming has really grown on me though and I want to concentrate more on it after the races this summer. I'm planning on a few open water races as well. I swim with a small masters group at my local Y. I enjoy trolling forums with shoulder injury/technique questions.

Other than kids, work, and sports I like reading history and historical fiction and I play guitar (Irish pubs and old-time jams).

My favorite food is lamb, and I think red is the fastest color swimsuit.

Muppet
January 8th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Welcome to all who be new. I am Jeff, I swam in college - for the masters team :D ! Been swimming for a long while, but got serious 10 years ago my jr. year of HS.

I like mid distance free and fly. Will do anything in the pool to get attention. Will swim any event(s) if there is a wager involved - especially "loser buys dinner" bets with young ladies. :banana:

Famous for my hair (hense my name)... http://www.pvmasters.org/~newsletter/Dec-06/10002.jpg

swimshark
January 9th, 2007, 08:10 AM
First off, hi to Allen and Ann. Ann say hi to Sandi for me, please. I miss Oregon and you all!

Morgan, I grew up near Albany. I assume you got o SUNY Albany. That is a good pool. I had some really good swims there while growing up. I swam HS for Scotia-Glenville and USS for Schenectady Swim Club.

As for me, I am 36 and now live in northern Virginia. Moved here about 9 months ago from Oregon. I have been married for 11 years to John who works for the Fed govt (the reason for the move). We have 1 son, 21 month old Matthew. I swam growing up but quit when I hit 18 and took 11 years off. I started back in 2001. I swim with the local kids team twice a week (Occoquan or OCCS) and the masters team once a week. I also take spinning classes and chase after my active son. Oh, and in my spare time (ie nap time) I run a graphic design company but the business takes a huge back seat to my son right now. My sister, brother-in-law and dad all swim so we are all active in the water.

That's me in a nut shell.

Alison

Ivor
January 9th, 2007, 08:29 AM

We're all too busy binge drinking to notice.

geochuck
January 9th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Ivor last time I was in England in 1958 the beer was sold off the shelf and was warm. Have they found out about cooling the beer there yet???

SwimStud
January 9th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Ivor last time I was in England in 1958 the beer was sold off the shelf and was warm. Have they found out about cooling the beer there yet???

Hey now George...depends what beer your talking about.

Anything that is a lager/pilsner type should be cold, and out of the fridge. Anything that is a true "Ale" (best, mild, bitter, should be cool not arctic)..

It's catch 22...this side of the pond you can't find a domestic lager worth drinking, and the ales Sam Adams etc are served way too cold...

As for how you torture Bass Ale in the refridgerator...leaves me speechless. I send back frozen glases and leave my dark beers to warm before drinking.

If anyone is in town, and feels like going on a beer fact finding mission with me, let me know. I promise I'll drink at a North American pace for you....:thhbbb::eek: ;) :drink: :rofl:

geochuck
January 9th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I am so happy to hear that they found out about refridgeration. Now for sure I will go back to my Ancestor's:groovy: land for a cool one.

SwimStud
January 9th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I am so happy to hear that they found out about refridgeration. Now for sure I will go back to my Ancestor's:groovy: land for a cool one.

If we're fortunate to cross paths at a meet George...the first one's on me :drink:

waves101
January 9th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Hello all! I overcame my fear of the water when I was about 10 years old. Soon afterward I joined the local age group program and swam thru high school and college (small D2 school at the time but has since grown into D2 National powerhouse = Grand Valley State). After college I was dry for about 10 years. Then in 1999, as a result of corporate downsizing, started working out again and found Masters. I've transitioned from a seasonal (Jan-Apr) swimmer into a year-rounder and usually manage about 50,000 yds/month. I'm a Commercial Insurance Agent and help to maintain a household with my wife of 13 years, our 5 year old son, 2 indoor cats and an ever changing population (currently 8) of outdoor cats. We live on a dead end road out in the country so we end up with several drop-offs every year. In addition to swimming, I enjoy hunting, fishing and gardening.

poolraat
January 9th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I'm almost 55 (next month) and started swimming 7 years ago when my 2 youngest joined the local swim team. I had no prior competitive swimming experience but was a runner. I've lived in northeastern Nevada for most of my life. I am a partner in a civil engineering and surveying company. My kids (14 & 16) still swim and my wife coaches the team. When I'm not swimming I enjoy fly fishing, hiking and backpacking.

SwimStud
January 9th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I'm almost 55 (next month) and started swimming 7 years ago when my 2 youngest joined the local swim team. I had no prior competitive swimming experience but was a runner. I've lived in northeastern Nevada for most of my life. I am a partner in a civil engineering and surveying company. My kids (14 & 16) still swim and my wife coaches the team. When I'm not swimming I enjoy fly fishing, hiking and backpacking.
you forgot :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

poolraat
January 9th, 2007, 11:23 AM
you forgot :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Isn't that a given?
I'm sure it applies to most of us.

swimmieAvsFan
January 9th, 2007, 01:43 PM
i'm mollie, i'm 26, and i started swimming when i was 8. swam age group upto high school, and then swam both (i think that's how i ended up with tendonitis in both shoulders, at the same time, as a high school jr.) swam frosh/soph years at Penn State and switched to club water polo when my major (biochem) got in the way. added masters swimming senior year ('03) and have been going strong ever since.

i'm a 200 backstroker, and i can throw together a decent 100/200 free. and i now try to avoid "loser buys dinner" bets, at all costs. :rofl:

i now work for a biotech company in the DC metro area, if only to finance my swimming habit. oh, and so i can afford to feed my ever-ravenous tabby cat...
and i "moonlight" (as my boss puts it) as a swim coach too, dealing with the lovely 12&U age groups.

swimshark
January 9th, 2007, 02:07 PM
i now work for a biotech company in the DC metro area, if only to finance my swimming habit. oh, and so i can afford to feed my ever-ravenous tabby cat...
and i "moonlight" (as my boss puts it) as a swim coach too, dealing with the lovely 12&U age groups.

Mollie, what team do you coach for?

Alison (in No. VA)

Superfly
January 9th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Famous for my hair (hense my name)... http://www.pvmasters.org/~newsletter/Dec-06/10002.jpg

ouch!!! Lucky i put my youngest daughter to bed before i opened that link....almost scared the sh-t out of me. You don't plan to go to Sweden for any meets do you? Pls warn me in advance in that case :laugh2:

/Per

swimmieAvsFan
January 9th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Mollie, what team do you coach for?

Alison (in No. VA)

Alison, i coach for Rockville-Montgomery Swim Club, since i live on the maryland side of DC... are you a Curl-Burke parent???

FlyQueen
January 9th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I'm Heather and currently enjoying my second year in the 25-29 age group as far as SCY is concerned or 3rd year in that group if LCM or SCM. (In other words I am 26, my birthday is in Sept.)

I grew up going to a lake house in Indiana where I was notorious for running off of the pier jumping into the deep end then freaking out AND swimming out really far then being afraid to come back. Needlessly to say swimming was a bit of a fear for me, which lead me to join the swim team in high school. My parents response, was but you can't swim. My sophomore year I anchored both the medley and 200 free relays to victories at JV conference (going into the water 4th and 5th respectively). I quit though because of gymnastics and shoulder tendinitis.

Flash foward to 2004 when I was watching the Olympics and thinking I wonder how fast I could have been if I hadn't quit. I thought I had some natural talent and my body was no longer willing to run. ( I started training for my second marathon that summer and had such severe back pain during a long run I had to stop running and couldn't stand up straight) SO I joined a masters team and now I coach there, too ...

I am still a sprinter, despite trying pretty much every event under the sun ... I am working on a masters in education and am doing my student teaching right now. No, you don't get paid, and yes you do pay the university TONS of money to student teach ... go figure ...

Muppet
January 9th, 2007, 09:05 PM
ouch!!! Lucky i put my youngest daughter to bed before i opened that link....almost scared the sh-t out of me. You don't plan to go to Sweden for any meets do you? Pls warn me in advance in that case :laugh2:

/Per

Per - I'd love to get to Sweeden! I hear it is a beautiful country. You will be happy to hear, though, that I had a job interview two weeks after that pic was taken, and had to shear down. The shearing was by far the most traumatic part of the interview. :dunno:

merritr
January 10th, 2007, 01:19 AM
I lurk around here a bit so I might as well introduce myself as well. I'm Merritt. I am 25. I grew up swimming in Northern Virginia, but now I am in Los Angeles, CA. I swam at Kenyon College in Ohio and the University of Southern California. I have been swimming Masters for about two years. I swim with any group I can get time with.

In college I was delegated to the sprint freestyle events. I would say mostly because of health issues. Now I do a lot more distance and mid distance. Anything from ocean races to IM. I am out to try new events.

Outside of the pool I am a mechanical engineer. I design turbochargers and I race cars.

swimshark
January 10th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Alison, i coach for Rockville-Montgomery Swim Club, since i live on the maryland side of DC... are you a Curl-Burke parent???

Mollie, I'm not a swimming parent yet. My son is only 21 months old. I swim with OCCS. I also swim with the masters team that practices at Mason's Manassas campus but I do more practicing with OCCS. I like the challenge.

Muppet, I remember you from the Maryland meet in Dec. Hard to miss that hair! I'm the one wearing the Oregon stuff. Even though I live in VA, I'm still an Oregon swimmer at heart and on paper :) See you in Feb in Alexandria?

Alison

Caped Crusader
January 10th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I'm Scott. I'm a 47 year old lawyer. I spend my life surrounded by swimmers and going to endless swim meets. Since there are both flyers and breaststrokers in my family, I am Switzerland on this issue. I'm a lifelong runner, and still race occasionally with my son, but have a cranky hamstring. I have recently taken to the open water. I love to body surf and snorkle. I would like to go to the Caribbean more often. I also like to bike. I played deck hockey for many years, but it's a rough sport and I don't have the time anymore. My dog, who ran with me most of his life, recently died and I miss him greatly. I don't like cats, but I've got one. I don't mind cooking, but I don't cook my friends.

SwimStud
January 10th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I'm Scott. I'm a 47 year old lawyer. I spend my life surrounded by swimmers and going to endless swim meets. Since there are both flyers and breaststrokers in my family, I am Switzerland on this issue. I'm a lifelong runner, and still race occasionally with my son, but have a cranky hamstring. I have recently taken to the open water. I love to body surf and snorkle. I would like to go to the Caribbean more often. I also like to bike. I played deck hockey for many years, but it's a rough sport and I don't have the time anymore. My dog, who ran with me most of his life, recently died and I miss him greatly. I don't like cats, but I've got one. I don't mind cooking, but I don't cook my friends.

Ah Scott. condolences on the dog. I lost my buddy that I had since he was a puppy in Sep 2004. the shame was I'd lost a lot of time for him b/c of school. I graduated in May 04 thinking at last I can give him a great autumn season of walks and sniffing in the leaves...but he had to go. Still miss him. Lost his companion a year to the week after that--in my arms at home. The new guy is with us about 2 years--he's a butt pain but lovable.
Have you tried acupuncture on the ham? If you think I'm against all non breaststroke strokes..don't talk to me about running....

Caped Crusader
January 10th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Have you tried acupuncture on the ham? If you think I'm against all non breaststroke strokes..don't talk to me about running....

There are a lot of posters who seem to hate running -- except the ex-runners. I still love it. It's quick. Every morning, 5 mile loop before work. Gets the exercise in if you can't commute to the pool. I like running with my son on the weekends.

I haven't tried acupuncture. Lots of other stuff -- PT, ART, friction massage. I should just stop running, but I don't want to. No more personal attacks please, dancer man.

That's quite an avatar. Where'd you get that?

SwimStud
January 10th, 2007, 12:43 PM
There are a lot of posters who seem to hate running -- except the ex-runners. I still love it. It's quick. Every morning, 5 mile loop before work. Gets the exercise in if you can't commute to the pool. I like running with my son on the weekends.

I haven't tried acupuncture. Lots of other stuff -- PT, ART, friction massage. I should just stop running, but I don't want to. No more personal attacks please, dancer man.

That's quite an avatar. Where'd you get that?

I'm only against running due to 3 lumbar vertabrae that bitch if I run.
Found the avatar on a web search for "Submariner" It wasn't a personal attack.

tjburk
January 10th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Hey all, started swimming competitively when I was 6, quit around 11. Started again in High School, did one year of Junior College to bring my GPA up to go to the University of Nebraska, before that happened I did a 180 and joined the Army to see the world. 20 years later I retired and now work as a contractor for the government (yeah....one of those!!!!:joker: ) Started swimming again in 2000 to get back in shape and quit smoking. Been swimming off and on since and love it.....it's what keeps me sane!!! Love the sound of the water rushing past my ears as I swim!!! I have 2 Beagles and a Jack Russell that keep me busy besides my two kids. One of them swims, the other plays soccer.

aquaFeisty
January 10th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I've been swimming masters on and off for over 10 years now. Prior swimming background was 2 years age-group and 2 years high school. Started masters my senior year of college when I quit my sorority and needed something to do other than just be a BORING chem eng major! Met my hubby in the pool too. :smooch: Soooo glad I quit that sorority!!

Right now, I'm on a leave of absence from the corporate oil empire... taking care of kidlet #1. My leave is up this fall. Not sure yet what I'm going to do.

Oh, and I'm a breastroker, despite some seriously cranky knees. I also like sprint free and have a dream to be a 100 IM'er one day... the day they remove fly and back from the IM!! :D

Peter Cruise
January 10th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Tracy- is it the Jack Russell that plays soccer?

Kimberlie Streed
January 10th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Hola! I swam AAU from about 1966 thru 1973 (previous name Kimberlie Wilson) with Portage Park Swim Club in Chicago, IL and left the pool for other high school sports (as my HS didn't have a pool.) Been looking for any masters out there why may have swam in the area during that time -- any of you old swim buddies out there! Competed in various sports until I was about 40. Put on about 60 pounds in just a few years and decided that giving up sports was a very bad idea. Took off about 50 pounds and decided I needed to find a sport I could take into old age. Googled "swimming" and found the wonderful world of Masters Swimming! Found a team just 10 minutes from my house and my life has been forever changed. I forgot how much I love the water, love, love, love the water. This will be my third season back in the pool and hopefully my first season without injuries. Various shoulder injuries (with and w/o surgery) the last two years has had me in & out of the water. I'm learning about limitations and am ok with it -- as long as there is something I can swim, or even kick! Any event I am able to swim will be my favorite, last season all breastroke, this season, breastroke & ???? And, I'm really lucky to have FlyQueen as one of my coaches; she's been a good swim buddy/friend and is a great coach!

Married w/four kids ages 21 - 23 (blended family; my 3 + hubbies 1 -- and none of them are swimmers, so sad!) 2 golden retrievers (who both swim when given the chance)/11 years old; and a 20 year old cat (hates the water.)

Have worked (for the same law firm) for the past 19+ years as an Admin. in litigation. Spend lunch hours reading these boards and sometimes get carried away and surf throughout the afternoon.

tjburk
January 10th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Tracy- is it the Jack Russell that plays soccer?

Peter....he is definitely smart enough to learn it!!!!!!:D

The Fortress
January 10th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Met my hubby in the pool too. :smooch: Soooo glad I quit that sorority!!

Carrie:

Very cool! Two people on my team met at a masters swim meet (our local Albatross Meet in MD) and now have a cute little girl. I wonder how often that happens?

Kimberle:

You're lucky to have FlyQueen as a coach. She's my baby sister on the forum because we're so much alike, except in years. :laugh2: She really knows her stuff!! I'm sure she'll get you working on something besides breaststroke -- since we all know her feelings about it. :rofl:

SwimStud
January 10th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Very cool! Two people on my team met at a masters swim meet (our local Albatross Meet in MD) and now have a cute little girl. I wonder how often that happens?

Um they were single right...or was this one of those "I had 1 too many Kamikaze's during the Binge Drinking 400 Relay" stories that they had to explain away when they got home?

LOL OK I know that one was a tad naughty but it was like that 2nd piece of apple pie...I just couldn't stop myself.

FlyQueen
January 10th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Carrie:

Kimberle:

You're lucky to have FlyQueen as a coach. She's my baby sister on the forum because we're so much alike, except in years. :laugh2: She really knows her stuff!! I'm sure she'll get you working on something besides breaststroke -- since we all know her feelings about it. :rofl:

Kim and I are like ying and yang with our events ... she is a fantastic breaststroker and loves distance swimming of all things, or at least had distance aspirations at one point ... I prefer the quick stuff, in case you hadn't noticed. I love giving Kim breaststroke sets, too.

I for one feel VERY lucky to have her as my swim buddy/friend, too! She's the best!!!

jbdrags
January 11th, 2007, 12:19 PM
OK, my turn....

Joe from Buffalo, NY.

I am 31 years old and swam competitively from a very young age through college. Butterfly was my stroke.

I have not even been in a pool since I left college in 1998. I am so glad I found this site. It has been a great resource for my return to competition.

I am really excited about getting back into the pool. I just need to keep reminding myself to take it easy so I don't hurt my shoulders anymore than they already are.

Thanks again everyone for the great advice!!!!!!!

aquaFeisty
January 11th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Hey Fortress,

Just on our teeny-tiny team in Delaware (maybe 20 people, tops) there were 2 couples that met and now have kids (one of the couples being Chris and I). From our large team in Naperville, I can think offhand of at least 4 couples that started dating during the 6 years I've swam there and are now either already married or engaged. I have a feeling it happens often. Who needs to go to a bar???*

*To pick someone up. There are many good reasons to go to the bar after practice...

Muppet
January 11th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Mollie, I'm not a swimming parent yet. My son is only 21 months old. I swim with OCCS. I also swim with the masters team that practices at Mason's Manassas campus but I do more practicing with OCCS. I like the challenge.

Muppet, I remember you from the Maryland meet in Dec. Hard to miss that hair! I'm the one wearing the Oregon stuff. Even though I live in VA, I'm still an Oregon swimmer at heart and on paper :) See you in Feb in Alexandria?

Alison

Alison, Yes, you will see me then. You'll see Mollie and hopefully the Fortress there too!

The Fortress
January 11th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Alison, Yes, you will see me then. You'll see Mollie and hopefully the Fortress there too!

Nope. Not me. I think that meet starts really early in the am and it's almost out to Mr. Vernon, isn't it? I have to sleep. :o

I think the Albatross meet will be my next meet, but my husband wants to go on vacation then. We're negotiating dates. I recall last year that was a civilized afternoon meet. I was thinking of the Chinn meet, but I had real goggle problems there last year and it has yucky walls for backstroke starts. I also think it conflicts with JOs. Overbearing swim child trumps nice masters mommy.

Muppet
January 11th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Nope. Not me. I think that meet starts really early in the am and it's almost out to Mr. Vernon, isn't it? I have to sleep. :o

I think the Albatross meet will be my next meet, but my husband wants to go on vacation then. We're negotiating dates. I recall last year that was a civilized afternoon meet. I was thinking of the Chinn meet, but I had real goggle problems there last year and it has yucky walls for backstroke starts. I also think it conflicts with JOs. Overbearing swim child trumps nice masters mommy.

The Top Splash is just off Rte 1, prob 5 Mi south of the wilson bridge... i'm coming from further than you! Surely you can make it! :joker:
Albatross is a nice meet. Thats where SwimmieAvsFan coaches!

swimshark
January 11th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Muppet, see you and Mollie in a few weeks. I'll be the one in the red Oregon cap sitting with the VMST people - they've adopted me. Stop by and say "hi". Fortress, you should try a morning meet, they wake you up faster :p . I'll be at the Chinn meet, too. It's too close for me to pass up (I'm in Gainesville)

Alison

poolraat
January 11th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Nope. Not me. I think that meet starts really early in the am and it's almost out to Mr. Vernon, isn't it? I have to sleep.

Try going to bed earlier.:) Some nights you're still online when I go to bed and it's 10:00 here.

The Fortress
January 11th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Muppet, see you and Mollie in a few weeks. I'll be the one in the red Oregon cap sitting with the VMST people - they've adopted me. Stop by and say "hi". Fortress, you should try a morning meet, they wake you up faster :p . I'll be at the Chinn meet, too. It's too close for me to pass up (I'm in Gainesville)

Alison:

I believe you are one of those brave swimmers who get up at 5:30 am to go swimming, right? So getting up early is normal for you! I do go to morning meets, actually mostly morning meets. :agree: Our own meet in late October started at 10:00 am, warm up at 9:00. That's what I call civilized. I went to the Terrapin/Turtle Blue Moon thing too (both days) even though it was a bit of a ride. I think I saw someone in an Oregon cap there; must have been you. I'll check for you at the next meet I enter. But I see the Tropic Splash has a 7:45 am warm up and it ain't near me. So I'm passing on that one. I can't go to too many meets anyway with my kids' activities and hectic schedules. I really have to pick and choose.

Floyd:

I almost never go to bed before 12:30. I am a nightowl. :thhbbb: :thhbbb: My older kids are still awake at 10:00 quite often. I think the last time I went to bed at 10:00 I was probably 12. I have to have some evening chill time or I would freak out. My husband is also a bit of a night owl. If I went to bed at 10:00, he'd probably divorce me. I try not to wake up until 7:00, unless I have to drag my kid to one of those hideously early morning practices. Different strokes for different folks. :thhbbb:

Muppet:

Last time I checked, you were almost two decades younger than me and had three less kids on your hockey team. :thhbbb: Hockey teams keep parents very busy and wear you out. I need a lot of :coffee: in the am before I can swim. Besides, I'm not fully recovered from being a sick ogre yet. I got a ways to go ...

poolraat
January 11th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Floyd:

I almost never go to bed before 12:30. I am a nightowl. :thhbbb: :thhbbb: My older kids are still awake at 10:00 quite often. I think the last time I went to bed at 10:00 I was probably 12. I have to have some evening chill time or I would freak out. My husband is also a bit of a night owl. If I went to bed at 10:00, he'd probably divorce me. I try not to wake up until 7:00, unless I have to drag my kid to one of those hideously early morning practices. Different strokes for different folks. :thhbbb:

It would kill me to stay up that late. :snore: But I've always been an early riser. As a runner we would run at 6:00 and I had to have :coffee: first. Now I am either at the pool at 6:00 or at my office if I plan on swimming at noon.

But it seems that staying up late is more common in the east. When we go to Michigan & Wisconsin to visit my wife's family everyone is up until midnight (or later) and they don't get moving until 8 or so in the morning.

swimmieAvsFan
January 11th, 2007, 09:39 PM

Alison

ahhhh. no wonder as of late there has been a seemingly random oregon swimmer in our little local meets! :)
muppet and i will come find you to say hi...

fortress, c'mon, alexandria isn't all that far from you! it's closer than either muppet or i have to drive. and heck, when i swam in PA, i drove down for the trop. splash. yay coconut relay!
:joker:
the albatross this year is a week earlier than it was last year... so does that help with the whole possible vacation conflict??? i want a 50 back rematch with you! i'll beat you one of these times, i hope! :D

FlyQueen
January 11th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Fortress, we are sisters! I'm a total night owl, too. I hate, loathe and despise mornings almost as much as people that :dedhorse: the point they are trying to make to death ...

Superfly
January 12th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Per - I'd love to get to Sweeden! I hear it is a beautiful country. You will be happy to hear, though, that I had a job interview two weeks after that pic was taken, and had to shear down. The shearing was by far the most traumatic part of the interview. :dunno:

hahaha..I can imagine. And as far as Sweden goes. Yes indeed...very beautiful, but to be honest...the most beautiful place I ever visited is actuelly our neigbour...Norway. The Norway westcouast around the city Stavanger and north of that city is just breathtaking...its like Switzerland ...just add water.

If you ever come to Stockholm, pls let me know and I will show you how we do Masters Swimming "The Viking" way ;)

/Per

swimshark
January 12th, 2007, 08:11 AM
[QUOTE=swimmieAvsFan;74061]ahhhh. no wonder as of late there has been a seemingly random oregon swimmer in our little local meets! :)
muppet and i will come find you to say hi...

Yup, that's me! I proudly wear the OMS stuff. I moved here 9 months ago from Oregon and have not changed my registration. I plan to go back to Mt. Hood and swim in the 08 Nationals with my OMS team so I'm keeping Oregon for a while. Sigh, just no relays fo me for a while. I am the former vie chair of OMS and still do all their entry forms.

I look forward to meeting you both (and Fortress one day)

And Fortress, it's not 5:30am, it's 4am! When I swim with the kids team, I have to be up by 4am for a 4:30 practice. But then again, I am a morning person. No :coffee: needed for me.

Alison

SwimStud
January 12th, 2007, 09:08 AM
If you ever come to Stockholm, pls let me know and I will show you how we do Masters Swimming "The Viking" way ;)

Per

Per, Let me guess. Your Speedo's are of Deerskin and you have horns on your swimcap?

;) :rofl:

I wouldn't have gone to the corny stereotypes but you mentioned Vikings hehe

The Fortress
January 12th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Fortress, we are sisters! I'm a total night owl, too. I hate, loathe and despise mornings almost as much as people that :dedhorse: the point they are trying to make to death ...

Hurray for my baby sister!:hug:

I was beginning to think I was the only swimmer on the planet staying up late. I loath, abhor and detest early morning practices so much that I'm changing my signature. Our pool was closed for swim meets three weekends in December, cancelling out our 9:00 am morning practices. The coach emailed us and said we could swim with the college team at 5:30 am. I didn't really think that was an "alternative." I told her I thought I had joined a team with seemly morning practices and that I'd see her in January. I think I may finally be up to going this Sunday at 9:00 am. After sufficient :coffee:

Mollie:

I have no doubt you'll be trouncing me soon. I think I just got lucky last time.

Alison:

4:00 am isn't the "morning;" it's the middle of the night. It appears that you're a breaststroker, so we'll probably never race. :joker:

Peter Cruise
January 12th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I agree with Les- my idea of a perfect swim meet is one that lets me sleep late, eat a nice balanced breakfast and warm-up in an uncrowded pool. Oh yes, and the water temp. should be much warmer as I enter the water for warm-up and then gradually cool as I elevate my metabolism. Free massages, plentiful bathrooms, ample shade if outdoors, prompt results, scads of free parking, heats sheets annotated with competitors results in the same event for the last 5 years, showers with lots of hot water and pressure, secure lockers, child-minding...have I left out anything?

gull
January 12th, 2007, 12:35 PM
...have I left out anything?

Starbucks and The Cheesecake Factory.

You could also throw in a "heavenly bed" at the Westin.

carolina22
January 12th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I also lurk so might as well introduce myself as well.

I'm Laura, 39 and live in Durham, NC. I started swimming 2 years
ago and have no prior competitive swimming experience. I recently
took lessons to improve my technique and to learn fly.

When I am not swimming I work at the University of North Carolina
in a breast cancer research lab. I'm also a rabid Carolina basketball fan.

fanstone
January 12th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I am Billy Fanstone, born and raised in Brazil, from an american mother (Mississippi) and a british father (Brighton). Swam for two years while finishing high school in Chattanooga in the B team, back in 1967-68. Up to a couple of years ago only swam when that was involved in water skiing, snorkeling and so forth. No lap swimming or training. In 2005 became part of a group that trains with a coach three times a week for about an hour. We swim about 6 meets (local stuff) a year plus I do another 4 open water one kilometer swims in a lake at Brasilia, two hours drive from here. I try and do some extra swimming on Saturdays. I use to be a runner and am thinking of going back into that, since swimming alone didn't bring my weight down. billy fanstone

chaos
January 12th, 2007, 03:26 PM
david barra
dob 2-13-65
sex m
status married 17 yrs
no pets
no kids
3 telecasters
lmsc adirondack
favorite pool stuff: fly
favorite favorite stuff: ow
favorite other stuff: yoga, x-c skiing

Lightning
January 12th, 2007, 03:57 PM
[quote]
Walked on at UCSB and had a little success and a great time. Finished up my masters in clinical psycology and wanted to teach and go into private practice but ended up taking a few months off between my MA and entering the PhD program to ski in Vail....23 years later still here!

Did the skiing interupt your clinical psychology track?

tuck
January 12th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Hi
swim parent
ow swimmer
my wife and I would live on the beach our kids would let us.
she swims too
we're all wet !

FlyQueen
January 12th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I agree with Les- my idea of a perfect swim meet is one that lets me sleep late, eat a nice balanced breakfast and warm-up in an uncrowded pool. Oh yes, and the water temp. should be much warmer as I enter the water for warm-up and then gradually cool as I elevate my metabolism. Free massages, plentiful bathrooms, ample shade if outdoors, prompt results, scads of free parking, heats sheets annotated with competitors results in the same event for the last 5 years, showers with lots of hot water and pressure, secure lockers, child-minding...have I left out anything?

Sounds good to me ...

And I'd like to add that 4am is indeed the middle of the night. If I had to wake up at 4am to swim with a team I'd be swimming by myself or not all ... I'd probably be fat, slow, and lazy ...

The Fortress
January 12th, 2007, 05:33 PM
no pets. no kids

OK, this explains why you've got so much time to go to practice, swim in the lake, conduct clinics, coach USS kids, go to ART, go to yoga and x-c ski and have "mental endurance." Nice.

Peter:

I would just like to point out that there were, in fact, free massages given at Colonies Zones last year. :thhbbb: There was a hot tub right there. You could get coffee upstairs. Great hotels nearby. Lots of parking. Lots of lockers. Lots of nearby restaurants. (No Cheesecake Factory that I know of though.) Prompt results. (I'm sure anyone who was interested looked up their competitor's times.) Nice medals. Energy bars and other food for sale. No hot water in the women's locker room though... That always sucks. With your past history of galavanting around the world, you could just come here and swim! Just a short jaunt.:D

I would still prefer afternoon meets. But the Albatross meet is the only one I know of around here. But at least we agree that 7:45 am is highly undesirable as a start time. No thanks. Busy anyway that weekend.

geochuck
January 12th, 2007, 05:46 PM
[quote=Paul Smith;73693]

Did the skiing interupt your clinical psychology track? That is my profession - I work in a residential youth facility, as well as teach part time in a doctoral program and have a private practice on the side. Any insights on personality types that get hooked into masters swimming?
Put the behaviour (master swimming) on extiction but don't ignore the individual.

Superfly
January 12th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Per, Let me guess. Your Speedo's are of Deerskin and you have horns on your swimcap?

;) :rofl:

I wouldn't have gone to the corny stereotypes but you mentioned Vikings hehe

"Deerskin" phft!! Thats so 90:s!! Moose-skin is the fastest we've got nowadays.
;)

chaos
January 12th, 2007, 09:08 PM
I would just like to point out that there were, in fact, free massages given at Colonies Zones last year. :thhbbb: There was a hot tub right there. You could get coffee upstairs. Great hotels nearby. Lots of parking. Lots of lockers. Lots of nearby restaurants.

you left out:
if you are swimming in the deep pool, you could warm your butt before your race by leaning against the sauna.

looking for restaurants that can accomodate a large rowdy group....what are your suggestions (no tf's)

ensignada
January 12th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I'm Barb, 42 years old, married to a Ken (an anatomically correct one), mom to a 6.5 year old daughter. 8/12 months I'm a stay-at-home mom; 4/12 I'm a crazed tax preparer.

I've been swimming for fitness since November. I've always loved the water but never competed. Wish I had, maybe someday I will. Right now, my strokes are fairly deliberate (read: I'm slow). But I promise to let you pass when we share a lane.

My husband considers swimming a survival skill, so it's a pleasure to meet folks who share my enthusiasm.

Mark in MD
January 12th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Hey

So, I am kind of new on here, I've been here for a month or so, but I still feel new here, I do not know anyone, and no one knows me! I am sure there are other people on here who are newer as well, and would like to meet all you long time members:-D

So I propose we start a thread just introducing yourself and maybe saying a thing or two about yourself, where your from, what you swim, whatever information you would like to share with the group:wave:

Hopefully, this isn't a completely lame idea?

Hey "Blaines App,"

Not lame! I've been a member of USMS since Fall 2001. I work in Public Safety/Law Enforcement (prisons) and I am also a professional Church musician in Baltimore County. As many long time members/friends from this forum know, I never competed in a pool (or anything else) under I joined USMS. I figured that I would try it out ... what a mistake ... "try" became an "addiction." At the age of 54, I learned the 'fly two years ago. I have other hobbies, find time to maintain a few websites (including the USMS Colonies Zone website) and my darling wife and I have been together for 29 years. (She's says I am an overgrown kid. :dunno: )

I guess what I am trying to say here that there is a diverse groups of people here who love donig the same thing. We welcome you. I could go on ... but I am too modest. :joker:

To Ensignata: Keep at it. I know exactly what you are saying.

'Bye for now.

swimshark
January 13th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I am Billy Fanstone, born and raised in Brazil, from an american mother (Mississippi) and a british father (Brighton).

Billy, my dad grew up in Brazil. He was born in Conn but his dad was sent to Brazil to open the GE factory in Rio. My dad lived in Rio from the early 1940s until 1955 when they moved back to the states. My parents just went to Rio for a 50th reunion. They are taking all of us kids there as soon as my son is old enough to go there. I can't wait.

To those who think 4am is the middle of the night, there are mornings when I'd have to agree. At least the Sat practice isn't until 7am. I got in a good 5500 yds this morning.

Alison

evilwatersprite
January 13th, 2007, 06:41 PM
<Dr. Nick voice>Hi, everybody!</Dr. Nick voice>

My name is Jayme, have been in the DC area since '98. Grew up doing summer league swimming in Ohio. During my sophomore year of high school, I decided that taking the previous winter off between CC and track season had been bad for my body and mind. So I asked my parents if I could try a year-round swim team. Then I was hooked and permanently ditched my track spikes for goggles.

I started too late and wasn't really fast enough in the freestyle (was a backstroker/flyer back then) to be much of a recruiting attraction in college, so after high school, I was on my own. However, I have always swum pretty regularly, with the exception of one three-year gap when I was working nights. Screwed my internal clock up something good.

I showed up for my first masters practice on Oct. 9, 2006, the same day I started working mornings. I do three team practices, one solo and usually about three spin classes a week now. As a result, I have dropped a few pounds and am probably much more pleasant to be around now.

Considering getting back on the blocks for my team's meet -- Tropical Splash in Feb.

When I am not covered in lycra and silicone, I am generally working (journalism job pays the bills, but I subsidize my cycling and swimming habits with part-time gigs that keep me in cheap equipment and free gym access) and trying to remember how to have a life. Seems I forgot how. Because of that, I have have very little in the way of personal stuff to describe here. Which is just as well, b/c this post is way too long ... :blah:

The Fortress
January 14th, 2007, 12:21 PM
[quote=swimmieAvsFan;74061the albatross this year is a week earlier than it was last year... so does that help with the whole possible vacation conflict??? i want a 50 back rematch with you! i'll beat you one of these times, i hope! :D[/quote]

Yes, as a matter of fact it does!!! Spring break begins March 30 this year and the USS Eastern Zones is the 29-31; I would be leaving for possible vaca after that. So, if I don't fall down a flight of stairs like I did last year before the Albatross meet, I think I can go. You're on for the 50 back!! :lolup: Maybe this time we'll tie instead of being within .02 again. :rofl:

funkyfish
January 15th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Greetings folks,

Started master's swimming in the summer of '06. Right now my events are 50 and 100 free, and 100 fly. Swam backstroke in high school…but no more (don't like water up my nose or the intense burning sensation that comes from kicking upside down). With a little work I'd like to do longer distances, but not there yet. My family and I live in Arkansas where I teach graphic design at a local university. I'm currently trying to guilt my wife into swimming again (we swam on different high school teams). She has started swimming again but doesn't feel she's ready to compete yet. Maybe this summer. Enjoy reading the posts when I can.

I also really like that crazy dancing banana.:banana:

jaegermeister
January 15th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Greetings-
There is probably a fair amount of biographical information scattered throughout these forums- kuddos for the idea of summing up.
I am a 48 yo general internist who got back into swimming 3 years ago, when my youngest son joined a local team. For the first 2 1/2 years it was for "fun and fitness", but for 6 months + I have tried to be more consistent. I am going to the national meet, and would feel even better about it if I made a qualifying time :woot:
The city I live in has taken some abuse as a boring city, because it is, but I feel comfortable that I can get both British ale and several Belgian beers easily to slake my thirst. :drink:

The Fortress
January 17th, 2007, 09:51 AM
The city I live in has taken some abuse as a boring city, because it is, but I feel comfortable that I can get both British ale and several Belgian beers easily to slake my thirst. :drink:

Oh, Roch isn't that bad. I'd go back to visit. Besides, now Roch and the Rec Center are famous. Did you see them featured in the latest addition of USMS Magazine? In the "Do Not Hit Snooze" article. I guess the authors are a bit worried swimmers in MN are getting depressed from the typically frigid weather. I loved the quote from the "hard core" member of my old team/your team the Orcas that he "happens to own an excavator." Hope you're not freezing too much!

Muppet
January 17th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I also really like that crazy dancing banana.:banana:

Amen, Brother! :banana:

Julie Roddin
January 17th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Perfect timing for your message. I just joined your forum today :) I had no idea that this existed until I stumbled on it while on the usms.org site.

I live in Northern VA and have been doing masters since 1998 when I graduated from college and have been swimming since age 6. I've decided that swimming is much more fun now than when I was growing up. I mainly do open water swims, but have recently done a few swim meets and plan to do more this spring.

rtodd
January 17th, 2007, 07:35 PM
my brother lived in rochester MN for seven years. Can you say 40 below?!?!?!?! I've been there in the summer and it and the twin cities are quite nice.

Cross country skiing must be huge there and a great cross train.

jaegermeister
January 17th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Cross country skiing must be huge there and a great cross train.

This has been a bizarre winter. We've had little or no snow cover until this past week. We had a brown Christmas. Yes, X-country skiing is a great cross train, and the Birkie is a mind boggling experience. But we're not cold enough to be able to keep skiable snow. Can you believe that??

Muppet
January 18th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Perfect timing for your message. I just joined your forum today :) I had no idea that this existed until I stumbled on it while on the usms.org site.

I live in Northern VA and have been doing masters since 1998 when I graduated from college and have been swimming since age 6. I've decided that swimming is much more fun now than when I was growing up. I mainly do open water swims, but have recently done a few swim meets and plan to do more this spring.

YAY Julie has joined! She was my summer league coach a few years back! :banana:

Julie Roddin
January 18th, 2007, 10:56 AM
She was my summer league coach a few years back!

A few? That was 1997 that I coached the Rock Creek Fins, wasn't it?

Muppet
January 18th, 2007, 02:25 PM
A few? That was 1997 that I coached the Rock Creek Fins, wasn't it?

Rock Creek in the HIZZOUSE! Yeah, you were there right as I was beginning to start taking the sport seriously... so you're partially responsible ;)
http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=7240

Julie Roddin
January 18th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Rock Creek in the HIZZOUSE! Yeah, you were there right as I was beginning to start taking the sport seriously... so you're partially responsible

And how crazy is this....I was at the pool last spring and the girl in my lane asked one of my friends what my name was. She recognized me from when I was 15. She was my coach when I was swimming at Connecticut Belair before I moved to Tanterra. AND, when she swam for MCSL she was at Rock Creek.

Small world!!!

okoban
January 18th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Male, 38 y/o, operations mngr in a logistics company, married for 12 years, one daughter 8 y/o (we've got a family picture in members list). My wife is a fitness swimmer, my kid is in the school team. I am not fast, my technique is shaky, my endurance is moderate, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE swimming. I swim 3 to 4 times a week. I swim in a superb pool, most of the time 6:30 to 7:45AM. We (the seniors) swim in lane 7 and 8 in a 50 meter pool, teenager swim team uses the rest (they are very fast). I learn a lot in this forum, I really enjoy being a member. I will post my swimming video in a couple of days. My best regards to everyone:wave:

jaegermeister
January 18th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Oh, Roch isn't that bad. I'd go back to visit. Besides, now Roch and the Rec Center are famous. Did you see them featured in the latest addition of USMS Magazine? In the "Do Not Hit Snooze" article. I guess the authors are a bit worried swimmers in MN are getting depressed from the typically frigid weather. I loved the quote from the "hard core" member of my old team/your team the Orcas that he "happens to own an excavator." Hope you're not freezing too much!

Doesn't everybody own an excavator? :rofl:

The Fortress
January 21st, 2007, 11:52 AM
YAY Julie has joined! She was my summer league coach a few years back! :banana:

YAY! I just met Julie. She's really nice. And she's a breaststroke hating backstroker. YAY! :groovy: :banana:

Tom: The pertinent question is, do you own your own snowplow? We did.

GoodWillHunter
January 22nd, 2007, 10:23 AM
Holy cow! Were they all single births? You've been busy.

Uh, no. I have a set of frat twins. They're six and a half.

My kids are as follows: an 11 year old son (who competes, kind of, lol), six and a half year old boy/girl twins, a five year old son, and an almost three year old son.

We have been a bit busy. But no more for us. We're DONE.

Muppet
January 22nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
Uh, no. I have a set of frat twins. They're six and a half.

My kids are as follows: an 11 year old son (who competes, kind of, lol), six and a half year old boy/girl twins, a five year old son, and an almost three year old son.

We have been a bit busy. But no more for us. We're DONE.

Sounds to me like you've got your own hockey team there! :banana:

jaegermeister
January 22nd, 2007, 09:20 PM
Tom: The pertinent question is, do you own your own snowplow? We did.

No snow plow. Three sons who need to earn money to finance their video game habits.

Tree
January 26th, 2007, 09:06 PM
From Beijing China. Just turned my 27. Started to learn swim about four months ago. I work as a consultant.

I've been away for a while due to the breakdown of the Pacific undersea cable. It is nearly fixed now. So I can connect to this website and seek advice again.

Tree
January 26th, 2007, 09:44 PM
A little more about me: just learned how to do freestyle and breaststroke and will learn backstroke and fly soon.

Apart from swimming, I enjoy football at international level, especially the European league, occasionally watch NBA(used to watch a lot when Jordan played) and other sports. Right now I am looking forward to the Australia Open men's final.

I've learned a lot from this forum. Thanks everyone.
From Beijing China. Just turned my 27. Started to learn swim about four months ago. I work as a consultant.

I've been away for a while due to the breakdown of the Pacific undersea cable. It is nearly fixed now. So I can connect to this website and seek advice again.

Got Boost
January 26th, 2007, 11:46 PM
I to am a newb here so this is nice so here goes, I am a 40 yr old guy, making my second return to masters swimming I quit the first time after my dad died. I was an age group swimmer back in the day. I did that for 11 yrs. I am married. I have one son who is 8. I own my own business. In the 15 year lay off I turned into a car freak which fed my need for speed. I used to have an English Bulldog and I am hoping to get another soon. In terms of swimming I like the tough ones IM's (once i get back into shape) the longer the better and I liked 200 fly's and breast.
Got Boost

merritr
January 27th, 2007, 01:23 AM
In the 15 year lay off I turned into a car freak which fed my need for speed.

Hooray another car freak. Nice choice for a name too, Got Boost.

Got Boost
January 27th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I put a turbo charged engine in a 280Z I have had since I was 18. It is a good thing I have it now because back then I would have killed myself.
Got Boost