PDA

View Full Version : Swimming Activists

chaos
January 8th, 2007, 03:17 PM
On another thread, I posted the website for the Minnewaska Distance Swimmers Association.

www.minnewaskaswimmers.org/

Please take the time to view the negotiations listed at this site. I would like to know if there are any other clubs that have successfully lobbied for access to a swimming area.

I would also like to suggest that as an organization with over 40,000 members, USMS can potenctially lend a strong arm of support to such causes.

Does this kind of activism fall within the guidelines of the USMS Strategic Action Plan?

chaos
February 10th, 2007, 09:32 AM
I thought this might be a good time to try and stir up some conversation on this subject.
The previous post links the website of a swimming group I belong to (not USMS at this time). The group was formed to petition the state to allow access to Lake Minnewaska for responsible adult swimming. The rules for swimming there are the result of years of negotiations with the state and are as follows:
-All swimmers must be members of Minnewaska Distance Swimmers Association (to gain membership one must be 18 yrs old, pass a swimming test of 500 yds continuous swimming, swim 4 strokes [crawl, breaststroke, backstroke, sidestroke] pay a 15$ membership fee, mostly for insurance)
-Swimmers are issued a photo id membership card that must be posted while in the water
-Swimmers must have another member present in order to swim.
-Swimmers must stay within the designated swim area (200 yard buoy line)
-Swim hours are restricted to the hours when lifeguards are on duty AT OTHER AREAS.

Some topics for further discussion:
-What state(s) have the most liberal "swim at your own risk" policies. (this could get political)

-What states protect the rights of OW water swimmers to go topless (a chaffing issue)......put the kids to bed and don't let them read Swimming to Antarctica if this scares you.

-Should USMS form an Access Committee dedicated to lobby and petition governments to develop policies that allow for responsible adult swimming in areas now restricted.

SwimStud
February 10th, 2007, 10:17 AM
-What states protect the rights of OW water swimmers to go topless (a chaffing issue)......put the kids to bed and don't let them read Swimming to Antarctica if this scares you.

-Should USMS form an Access Committee dedicated to lobby and petition governments to develop policies that allow for responsible adult swimming in areas now restricted.

I can relate to chafing..I wore a t-shirt in the sea once goofing around, water volleyball etc and other stuff and didn't realise how much chafing was going on until I got out--ouch!. How much can anyone see while your swimming anyway--a naked body is not offensive in and of itself

An committee might work but USMS may not want to involve themselves in legal wrangle although you may garner support to you cause here David. There are plenty of people who like to debate and present their case.

chaos
February 10th, 2007, 10:29 AM
An committee might work but USM may not want to involve them self in leagal wrangle although you may garner support to you cause here David. There are plenty of people who like to debate and present their case.
Rich,
Thanks for biting on my thread.....I was beginning to think nobody loved me:D

SwimStud
February 10th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Rich,
Thanks for biting on my thread.....I was beginning to think nobody loved me:D

It was the original post which made me ask about swimming up there in the summer and bringing kids for a day out on the other beach etc. Keep us informed on the battle and whatever support can given.

I have learned 2 things today. I post with many typos in the morning and late at night. :eek:

poolraat
February 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I would also like to suggest that as an organization with over 40,000 members, USMS can potenctially lend a strong arm of support to such causes.

Does this kind of activism fall within the guidelines of the USMS Strategic Action Plan?

I would say it does. I am not aware of areas out here with those kind of restrictions but it could happen since almost all recreational bodies of water here are under the control of either the State Parks Division, Bureau of Land Management or Forest Service. Presently, If I wanted to swim in one of these lakes or reservoirs It would be at my own risk and I would be responsible for any safety precautions. But that could change and regulations put in place which would limit or prohibit swimming.

I believe one of the purposes of USMS is to promote all swimming and if activism is needed to gain access to bodies of water for open water training and racing then USMS should be doing all they can.

BTW I read through the correspondence on the link and it appears that has been a bureaucratic nightmare for your group.