ANTI Rants are those little things we enjoy
things that give us small moments of pleasure
saticefaction
praise worthy items

I'm sure you can come up with a few.

like:
Doing a workout PR time.

Ande

Looking in the mirror after 3 months of swimming and noticing that my "B cup" man-boobs are now not even an A cup! LOL
:rofl:
My pants fit better now too! Hurrah for no impact sports!

Warren
January 9th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I like breaking time barriers in races like breaking 22 in the 50 free. Breaking a minute a long time ago in the 100 free. Now I'm looking to break 50 in the 100 free I'm at 50.00 right now.

jim clemmons
January 9th, 2007, 01:57 PM
My 2 personals are breaking 5 minutes in the 500 free as a 52 year old - (never went under 5:10 in college) and winning the 200 breast at World's last summer.

What's "ANTI" stand for?

The Fortress
January 9th, 2007, 03:14 PM
saticefaction
praise worthy items

Because I have been immersed in the Fortress vs. Sinus Bacterium battle, I have been doing restorative, i.e., very, very slow swims and a lot of dolphin kicking on my back. I was feeling rather snuffle-y and doing a restorative swim in my 85 degree health club pool this afternoon. Two other swimmers stopped on their way out to tell me I had "great technique." :rofl: ;) That was a very "small moment of pleasure."

The other thing that has given me many moments of pleasure and laughter is meeting my long lost twin sister Beth and baby sister Heather (among other great folks) on this forum.:rofl:

FlyQueen
January 9th, 2007, 04:09 PM
I totally agree with in practice PRs. That always feels great. As a sprinter I never do distance for time, but did last week and went a PR in the 500 by 10 seconds. The time is still very slow compartively (to my 50 and 100) but I blame my fast twitch muscles, and am still very proud of myself.

I also love dropping a :05 interval on 10 x 100 ... I'm working my way down. I have no idea what my actual goal is but 1:15 sounds good ... that's a ways away ...

Laughing at these forums and talking with such fabulous and kind swimmers. (Most of you anyway) ;)

Swimming an off event and having fun ... meets in general, relays!

PRs - inseason, tapered, and in practice.

Coaching, just started and am loving it already. It's fun to torture your teammates ... :thhbbb:

Allen Stark
January 9th, 2007, 04:51 PM
The way it feels when you first jump in the water after shaving down. Note to Jim,I remember your 200 Br at worlds:frustrated:

swimr4life
January 9th, 2007, 05:24 PM
The other thing that has given me many moments of pleasure and laughter is meeting my long lost twin sister Beth and baby sister Heather (among other great folks) on this forum.:rofl:

Right back at ya Fortress! Twin sisters forever! :groovy:

swim4me
January 9th, 2007, 06:27 PM
The peacefullness of the Breaststroke underwater pull out after starts and turns:wiggle: . (My 17 year old daughter just told me that 'peacefullness' is not a word when I asked her to check my spelling of it, however, that is what I feel :laugh2: .)

Also, getting back into competitive swimming after a 25 year absence!!!:groovy:

nancytris
January 9th, 2007, 07:53 PM
:applaud: :groovy: :woot: learning the beauty of using nose clips (in case you have not been reading that thread:cool:

Also -- getting very near able to swim that mile nonstop!:D

CreamPuff
January 9th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Sticking to the workout plan of swimming 6 times a week, doing weights 2 times a week, and cutting down on desserts. Having an unexpected side effect of going from a size 6 to a size 2 jeans - a size you've not worn since you were 15!

:groovy:

SwimStud
January 9th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Sticking to the workout plan of swimming 6 times a week, doing weights 2 times a week, and cutting down on desserts. Having an unexpected side effect of going from a size 6 to a size 2 jeans - a size you've not worn since you were 15!

:woot: for you!

ensignada
January 9th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Those perfect moments - even if they only last a few strokes - when you know you've got it right. I start every length hoping to get that feeling. Sweet indeed. ;)

January 9th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Swimming a mile, and subsequently, 2 miles non-stop. :)

I'm a lousy swimmer, so I'm very slow. However, when I think back 8 months to the first time I got into the pool, after decades of avoiding swimming, my progress has surprised me. On that first day, I could only swim about 15 metres, before I had to stop and catch my breath. Now, I'm swimming 5 days a week.

waves101
January 10th, 2007, 08:44 AM
The feeling of that first 100 yards in warmup (seems effortless).
Hearing the younger kids talking about me as their competition.

fanstone
January 10th, 2007, 09:20 AM
The feeling of that first 100 yards in warmup (seems effortless).
Hearing the younger kids talking about me as their competition.

Also, when doing 25 meter timed swims with your group, usually 4 lengths, after a tiresome workout, when you cheat on the 3rd and go slower and then go real fast on the last one, which is the one that really counts! I like being told how "thin" I look and how I've lost weight, when in reality I haven't lost weight, I just distributed it better. billy fanstone

jaegermeister
January 11th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I've had just one competition since I've been training consistently. Finished 200 fly in a moderate time- that certainly was a feeling of accomplishment. Took about 12 seconds off my 200 IM time from a year earlier.

Though this isn't a unique or memorable notion, I must say that the burn after a hard practice is really addictive. :coffee:

Warren
January 12th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I like the feeling you get after a hard workout. like you really accomplished something.

Larry_55
January 15th, 2007, 07:29 PM
The paradox of appetite suppression after a hard workout is always interesting to me. The general feeling of wellbeing after a good swim, without any annoying joint discomfort, is awesome.

3degree
January 16th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Corporate Idiocy (another overly redundant oxymoron)

My place of employment actually offers a "Fitness reimbursement". They will reimburse the employee 50% up to $250 (so 1/2 of 500) of health club fees, fitness classes, stationary exercise equipment. :applaud: I bought my elliptical under this last year.:groovy:

However, they will not cover "recreational equipment" such as bikes, golf clubs, tennis, etc.:mad: So if you were a triathlete who never went on a stationary cycle or indoor treadmill, you are excluded totally!

As we are now into the new year and I can submit again, I asked our HR rep who is supposed to handle the program at our location if I could submit my masters swimming club and USMS registration fees. She forwards it to a corp benefits rep (as our local rep doesn't seem to be able to handle any of it herself :rolleyes: ) but prefaces the request by indicating, "I don't think this should be covered but...." and then makes it sound like they are my swimming club dues (like a local neighborhood pool) or swimming classes.

The corp rep automatically backs her and says they don't cover swim lessons or fees to a local recreation center. :frustrated:

I replied back to both of them indicating that these are supervised directed workouts and definitely for FITNESS purposes! I gave them links to the USMS site and our local Masters site. :argue: Letting them know that this is not just lounging around on a raft under a diving board with a umbrella drink!

I have to wait and see if they can do more than just read their policy; it specifically uses the example of aerobics classes or jazzercize-so the reps look only for those titles. Now if we can just get those folks in corporate to understand that we swim miles a day in the pool and are in better shape than any foo foo aerobics class or trendy jazzercize class taker..... Although this could be like teaching the proverbial pig to sing!!!! :D Maybe I can get our club to call these "water aerobics" classes!!!:thhbbb: Problem is I doth protest too much and have already shown up on the HR radar by raising this issue and "making them 'think' ".

(I also need to get the the local recreation center to call my karate classes something like "cardio kickboxing' so maybe these idiots will cover it too.....)

Anybody else with this problem?

Well, I have to move this Beef from the Rant page to the AntiRant page.....

To be retitled-- Corporation Sees the Light!

The Corp HR rep reviewed what I had presented about our program and decided that the Master's Swimming Fees WOULD BE COVERED--:woot:
"Because your swimming program is a structured fitness program, your request has been approved for reimbursement".

We managed to get a corporation able to see our work as more than just pool lounging-- and pay money for it!!!

Larry_55
January 17th, 2007, 06:48 PM
:frustrated: Obviously your HR rep is not familiar with the fitness level required to swim any distance. Invite them to come and swim w/ you sometime and then see if they don't consider it a fitness program.

funkyfish
January 17th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Here's a few of mine:

1. Having your wife, kids, and mom root you on as you swim in your first meet in 20yrs.

2. Seeing your workouts go from 500yds, to 900,1500, 2000, 3000 and 4000 over the past 6mos.

3. Being able to complete 100yds of fly for the 1st time in 20yrs.

4. Finally, that almost comatose sleep that one gets after a really good workout.

5. Oops, forgot about the banana:banana:

The Fortress
January 17th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Here's a few of mine:

1. Having your wife, kids, and mom root you on as you swim in your first meet in 20yrs.

5. Oops, forgot about the banana:banana:

Yay, Colin! I did this too earlier this year (except with the husband) one meet, except it had been 24 years... (I did #3 too except it kinda hurt.)

My anti-rant is that I had a really nice workout today, and felt great for the first time in 2 months. Now, I'm tired. So nice. Plus, I got carded buying wine at the grocery story today. Must have been the dark sunglasses.:rofl: Opps, forgot the Muppet banana. :banana:

SwimStud
January 17th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Everyone loves the banana!

:banana:

poolraat
January 18th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Had a great workout today. Some 50's (31-32) that felt smooth and strong. The choppiness that was there as a result of not swimming regularly over the last 6 weeks is going away. Did 2 fast 50 fly's and felt smooth almost all the way, started to break down in the last 10 of the second one. I have that relaxed, pleasant feeling that follows a good workout (and a :drink: ).

:banana: :banana:

poolraat
January 18th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Plus, I got carded buying wine at the grocery story today. Must have been the dark sunglasses.:rofl: Opps, forgot the Muppet banana. :banana:

That must have made you feel good.

Reminded me of something that happenned last fall at a meet. I was standing behind the blocks waiting for my heat of the 100 free when a friend (his heat was next after mine) said "You look like a college kid".
I just wish could swim like one, but I did get my 2nd best time ever.
:banana: :banana:

The Fortress
February 14th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Even though school was closed today, I made my older kids babysit some. In between running them around, I swam for an hour in the afternoon and ran two miles, lifted weights and did some rotator cuff exercises in the evening. :banana:

Even better, I did not bother to shovel the driveway. Bad for the shoulders.

Plus, I read some real nice poems on Valentine's Day.

newmastersswimmer
February 15th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Everyone loves the banana! posted by the Brittwit...I mean BritWit...sorry my finger slipped...LOL!!

Everyone except Kirk that is.....It was his own proclamation....not baiting or anything....you know ...Engineers tend to be a little stiff sometimes...LOL!!:thhbbb: :thhbbb:

Newmastersswimmer

swim4me
April 4th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Well, I have to move this Beef from the Rant page to the AntiRant page.....

To be retitled-- Corporation Sees the Light!

The Corp HR rep reviewed what I had presented about our program and decided that the Master's Swimming Fees WOULD BE COVERED--:woot:
"Because your swimming program is a structured fitness program, your request has been approved for reimbursement".

We managed to get a corporation able to see our work as more than just pool lounging-- and pay money for it!!!

I also have an Anti-Rant now. I have been appealing the decision of my company not to pay for my swimming fees since January. After I submitted my claim for swimming expense reimbursment, they sent me an email asking if it was swim lessons. I replied 'no' it was competitive swimming with a coach (I knew swim lessons would not be eligible and thought that by telling them I had a coach they would know how hard I swim!!!). Well, THAT was the wrong thing to say. It seems that anything that involves competition or a coach is not eligible for reimbursement! Since then, I have had a verbal conversation with the company representative and had to submit two written appeals after the initial denial and then the subsequent denial. On Monday I received an email that because I am getting a good workout with my swim program it will be eligible for reimbursement. (I used the example that they would pay for a gym membership and that the gym might have a small pool that I would have to share with people who did not care to swim hard and since there would be no coach I would not push myself to swim as hard as I do and would have no one to watch and correct my technique, as swimming was a sport that really needs someone to watch you to make your strokes efficient.) Any way I won!!!! :applaud: :groovy: :applaud:

Got Boost
April 4th, 2007, 09:49 PM
What I call the bullet proof feeling you get after a hard work out. I know this is not swimming related but one of my favorite bits of euphoria, my favorite stretch of mountain road, no one on it and my Z. Ahhh Yessss!
Gor Boost

Hoosier
April 5th, 2007, 10:48 AM
I love the feeling after you turn, as you approach the top, break the surface, and surf down the wake.... better than any rollercoaster.:)

The Fortress
May 14th, 2007, 06:22 PM
saticefaction

Tomorrow, I'm swimming outside for the first time since last summer. I'll probably freeze to death, but still ...Yay!! :cool: Where's the sunscreen?

poolraat
May 14th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Tomorrow, I'm swimming outside for the first time since last summer. I'll probably freeze to death, but still ...Yay!! :cool: Where's the sunscreen?

Our outdoor pool opened May 1 and I've been outside just about every day since. I love this time of year!!:bouncing:

Lucy Crabapple
May 17th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Finding this forum, and the sheer number of like-minded (dare I suggest obsessed?) swimmers.

Reading through the posts and threads here is helping psych me up even more for my swim tomorrow!

art_z
May 18th, 2007, 09:10 AM
hitting a PB in practice (faster than your meet PB)!

SwimStud
June 15th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I was the embodiment of all that is good about USMS last workout. I was talking to a lady who was a bit squished in with a large man, in the end lane. I said "Hey the middle lane has a spot open with only a young girl swimming in it...you'll have more room." She then asked if I swam every day etc and I asked her about her goals she just wanted to be able to swim more distance for exercise. So I went to my bag and got my 0-1650 workout that I had sealed in a document protector, and gave it to her. I said that if she follows that she'll get her goal. I felt good after that.

Mighty Minnow
June 15th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Being able to finish ALL 75 yrds of Fly in a 300 IM! (Did not swim for 35 years and started up again 2 years ago with a local Masters program)

Can now actually do ALL the butterfly in a set of 4 x 100IMs......!!! :applaud:

Mia Kopela
July 19th, 2007, 03:44 AM
I swim in a health club pool that, sadly, attracts a lot of noodling types. They stick to the 'leisure area' most of the time though.

Once I was swimming in the middle lane and this couple was swimming very slow head-up breaststroke, stopping in the middle of the lane to make out occasionally, etc. I swam around them, trying to stick to my interval times, and was getting more and more annoyed until a lifeguard came up to me and asked 'Are they fast enough for you?'. I couldn't believe my ears and thought he was making fun of me. So I said 'No, but thanks for asking' and swam away. Next thing I notice is that he's talking to them - he got them to move out of the lap swimming area! and I swam the rest of the night in peace.

This same guard, on noticing that a 8-9 y.o. kid started half running/half swimming along the edge of the pool in the slow lane, picked him right out of the water, carried him around the pool and lowered him down in the noodlers area. I wanted to hug him! The rest of the guards don't bat an eyelid even when kids start throwing balls/kickboards/fins over the backstroke flags.

Swimmy
July 19th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Being able to finish ALL 75 yrds of Fly in a 300 IM! (Did not swim for 35 years and started up again 2 years ago with a local Masters program)

Can now actually do ALL the butterfly in a set of 4 x 100IMs......!!! :applaud:

Yeah! I understand that. Today I did 5 25s of fly in an IM set! I still hate, but at least I don't completely die doing fly.
Swimmy
:cheerleader:

3strokes
July 19th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Our outdoor pool opened May 1 and I've been outside just about every day since. I love this time of year!!:bouncing:

My contribution is more of a rant than an anti-rant (with a bit of both).
I was waiting for the outdoor pool season to start to show off my abs (to a certain person I have in mind) which I'd been working on (my abs, not the lady) for awhile.
The pool opened on June 23. It's now July 19. I've had, maybe, three days when it was sunny enough to swim and sunbathe

I love what this time of year SHOULD be, but this is Canada! :confused:

Peter Cruise
July 20th, 2007, 02:41 AM
Ahmed- you just don't get it- you live in the wrong end of the country.

inklaire
July 22nd, 2007, 01:55 AM

Don't pretend we have anything like sunshine out here! It's just that we island types like to swim in the rain -- this last week, anyway.

Besides, the glare from the sun just makes checking out the other swimmers during rest intervals more difficult. Hard to stare inconspicuously when you're shielding your eyes with your hands.

3strokes
July 22nd, 2007, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Peter Cruise http://forums.usms.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?p=100510#post100510)

Don't I know it, however it's way too late for me to move. (Long story that nobody but my psychoanalyst -if I ever get one- would want to hear)

Don't pretend we have anything like sunshine out here! It's just that we island types like to swim in the rain -- this last week, anyway.

Besides, the glare from the sun just makes checking out the other swimmers during rest intervals more difficult. Hard to stare inconspicuously when you're shielding your eyes with your hands.

I can "see" better IF the sun is shining (better lighting) even though without my eyeglasses (don't/can't/couldn't wear contacts) the lines/curves are a bit blurry. And that's what unclear goggles are best for; the "inconspicuously" part; it's easier to position your head as if you're looking at 11 o'clock when your target's at 1 o'clock. However when she moves to 2 and 3, and you don't want to be too obvious so you don't swivel your head her rate of (sometimes divine) motion, it gets darn hard on the neck muscles. Lasik surgery wouldn't work for me and I've just disvovered that prescription sunglasses -no matter their diopter- won't do a thing for me. My biggest problem (apart from myopia and other -opias) is pronounced astigmatism and "prism" (dual vertical double-vision). I wouldn't mind seeing two clones of my beloved adored but only if they're not fused together.

Sorry for the Rant in this anti-Rant thread but that's how this cookie has crumbled.

Peter Cruise
July 22nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
Ahmed- with such a persistent myopia, I am surprised that you haven't stood for Parliament...

3strokes
July 22nd, 2007, 05:49 PM
Ahmed- with such a persistent myopia, I am surprised that you haven't stood for Parliament...

I know. My problem is that I'm very sensitive to "stench".
Now. IF I were to be named Senator, I would -patriotically- answer the call (immediately, with "Here.............is my bank account number for direct deposits." and I'd be off to Mejico.)

Allen Stark
July 22nd, 2007, 08:21 PM
Anti-rant and rant.
Anti-rant,my shoulder finally feels fine.:groovy:
Rant,I pulled a groin muscle:dunno:,but they heal much faster than shoulders.:bouncing:

Aquawolf
August 8th, 2007, 08:41 AM
I haven't lifted free weights since March and yet I have more muscle in my arms and legs than I did a year ago. Loving the IM! :groovy:

CreamPuff
August 9th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I LOVE having the college kids swim with masters. Not only are they great with giving some cool tips regarding technique, but they are very pleasant to look at!

rtodd
October 8th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I love to see a new face at the pool and find out they are faster than me. I see it has a huge opportunity to learn.

The Fortress
December 28th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Haven't been able to hit the water at all. Too sick. But when I recover, I have a brand new Vision Fitness indoor bike to work out on. No excuse not to cross train with spinning now!

JMiller
December 28th, 2007, 11:21 AM
I'm happy to have already swam off the holiday cheer...
Longest swim all year, 6500m

CreamPuff
December 28th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Haven't been able to hit the water at all. Too sick. But when I recover, I have a brand new Vision Fitness indoor bike to work out on. No excuse not to cross train with spinning now!

Sorry Fort. Did you say you go to the chiropractor? I used to get colds and viruses frequently - and that really interrupted my training to say the least. Since I've been going to this great chiropractor, I've not gotten ill once. They say it boosts your immune system. Anyway, hope you can jump back in soon!

CreamPuff
December 28th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I'm happy to have already swam off the holiday cheer...
Longest swim all year, 6500m

Very good!!

Even though I hit up to 8500 yds with the kids one day, I don't think that that was enough to burn off the pecan pie, eggnog cheesecake, cherries jubilee, and frosted cookies that I ate. . .

The Fortress
February 20th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Sorry Fort. Did you say you go to the chiropractor? I used to get colds and viruses frequently - and that really interrupted my training to say the least. Since I've been going to this great chiropractor, I've not gotten ill once. They say it boosts your immune system. Anyway, hope you can jump back in soon!

I do, my ART doc. I'm going to start going 1x a week to get rid of my foot tendonitis and keep the shoulders in check.

Today, I got a fastskin II bodysuit on ebay for $80! :banana: Then, in my quest to build some stamina for the 100 fly, I did a real fly set, 3 x (5 x 50 fly) on 1:00, 100 easy between sets. Only sore in a good way!

kizzi77
February 20th, 2008, 08:47 PM
lately my fav is of my lungs breathing in air much easier after practice.

yay for breathing.....oh, and i want to be in the banana club::banana:

funkyfish
February 21st, 2008, 11:32 PM
Not for me, but for my wife. She's been working on teaching swim lessons since last summer and initially it was slow going. But due to some fortunate circumstances, she's gonna get to teach 3 times a week on a regular basis starting in March. She's excited so I'm excited too.
:bouncing::wiggle::banana::bouncing::wiggle::banan a:

The Fortress
April 11th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Zones start tonight and I do not have a sinus infection and/or bronchitis!! First time in years I've been healthy in mid-April. :bouncing: Now I have to keep my fingers crossed for the rest of April.