PDA

View Full Version : swimming with a team or by your self

Warren
January 11th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Which do you prefer, traing with a team or swimming alone? I'm not asking which one you do but rather which one you like better, so if your not on a team but would like to be answer team.

Personally I like writing my own workouts and doing what I need to work on.

SwimStud
January 11th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Which do you prefer, traing with a team or swimming alone? I'm not asking which one you do but rather which one you like better, so if your not on a team but would like to be answer team.

Personally I like writing my own workouts and doing what I need to work on.

I train alone but that's because there is no masters near home. I would love the coaching and motivation of a team. There is a group near work but they don't swim until 9pm..I am not recommuting!

swim4me
January 11th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I prefer a team with a coach. I need motivation to keep pushing myself and thats what the coach provides, and he can see what I am or am not doing correctly. Its amazing how I think I am doing something so perfectly and then he tells me I am not. I know I would not be in the condition I am in now if not for him :notworthy: . Before I was able to join a team, I would ocassionally swim laps while my daughter was at swim practice. I improved my conditioning, but not much and I know my strokes did not improve. My coach now even has me doing 'nasty' butterfly :eek: . I can do 100 yds now. Before this December, the longest butterfly I had ever swim in my life was a 25 :shakeshead: .

poolraat
January 11th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I've been swimming alone since I started 7 years ago. I wish I had a team to swim with, or even a training partner. It's really hard to continuously stay motivated and work hard when working out alone. I go through cycles where I really swim hard and make a lot of progress then I'll have a period where it's a chore just to drive down to the pool (it's a 5 minute drive).

swimshark
January 11th, 2007, 08:05 PM
I love swimming with a team. I need that push as well as someone on deck telling me what I'm doing wrong, which happens more than I care to admit. Right now I swim 1 weekday morning 4:30-6am and Sat 7-9 with a local kids team. I swim 5:30-6:30 on another weekday with the masters team, sort of. The team practice is 7-8 but I have to get out by 6:30 to make it home before my husband has to leave for work (someone has to be home with our 21 month old). So I warm-up on my own and then start with the masters team when they get there.

Alison

jaegermeister
January 11th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I have a wierd situation. I actually swim with TWO teams. This is both for my specific needs and my schedule. Overall, I consider myself VERY lucky. I am a team guy all the way.
My son's team has a phenomenal coach, who is particularly oriented to technique. Unfortunately, most of his practices are weekday evenings. Luckily, he does one on Sundays and also one on early Monday AM. The rest of the week I am with our larger, established masters group. There is always a printed workout, and a lot of great people to share in the effort. I pay a fee for both teams but I find this to be a small price.
Then on Saturdays I get in 3000m (SCM) or so at our fitness club before lifting.

So I have the best of all worlds- technique, comaraderie, and flexibility. :groovy:

globuggie
January 11th, 2007, 10:00 PM
I can't motivate myself without other people. In the fall I had to swim alone, but now I'm swimming 4x/wk with an uncoached group where I am slightly slower than everyone else, which I like most of the time because I am expected to keep up. With the group I can do a set of 100's free on the 1:45; alone I don't have the motivation to do more than about 2x100 free before getting tired and switching strokes.

Muppet
January 11th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I can't stand other people. BAH HUMBUG!:mad: :mad:

jaegermeister
January 11th, 2007, 10:50 PM
I can't stand other people. BAH HUMBUG!:mad: :mad:

Sounds like you'd be a good enforcer on your hockey team.

~Wren~
January 11th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I would love to swim with a team. While it is nice to plug in to my mp3 player and hit the water, I think I'd work harder (and thus get better) if I had others to try to keep up with. . . or at least keep me accountable to come in to the pool. Even when I swam HS there were days where I would've loved to skip practice, but I knew my absence would be noticed so I went anyway.

It's the same with running and swimming. I was much more likely to show up for a club run or club ice than I was to run on my own or go in for developmental ice. :dunno:

FlyQueen
January 11th, 2007, 11:39 PM
I most certainly wouldn't be swimming if it weren't for my team. I LOVE my team! I need a coach telling me what to do, pushing me with fast intervals, and giving me guidance. I swim with my team 4 x a week and coach once a week. On the nights I coach I swim by myself first and while I am getting better at giving myself workouts I still don't work as hard as I do when there are other people in my lane and a coach writing a set on the board.

I used to swim maybe a few hundred yards, now I do a few thousand. I could be better but I push myself hard and get my sprinting in and whateve stroke I feel was lacking that week.

Allen Stark
January 12th, 2007, 01:17 AM
I voted for by my self,but that is not entirely true. I like to do my own workouts,but I like to have teammates to swim with/against.I'm pretty motivated by the clock,but it's also fun to race. Also it's great to have teammates for relays. I just don't do well with inflexible preplanned workouts(unless I do the planning.)

Superfly
January 12th, 2007, 02:11 AM
I wouldnt even be close to my current shape if it wasnt for my team
/Per

geochuck
January 12th, 2007, 07:02 AM
I swim by my self I don't like master swim coaches who tell me to do their drills. Everybody has to do drills they say, not me, I only do full stroke. If I swim in a masters group I move to the beginners lane and play around.

I am a clock trainer and swim by the clock, and compete with the clock.

Ivor
January 12th, 2007, 07:08 AM
I wouldnt even be close to my current shape if it wasnt for my team

I agree completely.

What can I say? It's more fun if it's as part of a group.

Rule for life that one.

FindingMyInnerFish
January 12th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Once again, swinging back and forth between the two preferences. I do both and like it that way.

On weekends, I swim with two different teams (one Sat., one Sun.), and during the week do workouts on my own.

Team +s: I get a structured workout so I can set goals; I (sometimes) get feedback, although I'd like more of that; the workouts pull me out of my comfort zone (ex. I don't like butterfly and my butterfly is soooo not ready for prime time, but if that's what's going down, I at least have to give it a try, which I might not do on my own--I get the feeling that too much uninterrupted freestyle could actually make me more likely to get injured from working only one set of muscles in one way.

Solo +s: Going my pace, setting my own goals, going at a time that works for me. And no butterfly.... :groovy:

Redbird Alum
January 12th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Once again, swinging back and forth between the two preferences. I do both and like it that way.

Like Fish, I have the same tendencies. I like to swim with a team to learn new things, try new techniques and for the added mental and physical push. However, I also like the freedom to work specific skills and prepare for selected events that the team workout might not afford.

I'm probably going to do both...

Great thread by the way!

Donna
January 12th, 2007, 09:57 PM
I prefer training with a team. It really helps me push harder when I have to stay ahead of someone. Anytime I train on my own the quality is just not there.
I also like having a great coach like Walt.

Donna

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 13th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I love it both ways. When I swim alone I frequently let my imagination go and concentrate on things that I know a coach isn't going to bring up. I also do what I want to do. Sometimes I really enjoy thinking back on fun swims I had in the past. This is when I find it best to work on my breast stroke. I can also think about how the water moves around my body as I am propelling myself through it.

When I swim with a group I try very hard to focus on what we as a group are doing. I love working as a group to get through the practice. It is so much fun to swicth leaders of the group through the sets or try to keep up with the leader of that set, especially when you're tried or have a wondering mind.

funkyfish
January 15th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I used to swim on a team in high school 20 years ago and that was ok, but now I've gotten used to doing things on my own. This has come about through years of weightlifting and finding out that few people want to train as infrequently as I do. Also, I usually have a lane all to myself where I swim, and I've gotten spoiled. If someone comes around and needs a lane I'll share, but very few have come around, and that's ok with me. :banana: