PDA

View Full Version : Origins of your Screenname/Nickname

Muppet
January 12th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Just wanted to see where everyone's screenname/nickname came from. We certainly have some interesting ones here.

Me: Muppet - well, I should not have issues with baldness. I have a nice, thick mop, which, as my mom said, "is for a nice girl to run her fingers through." :groovy:

okoban
January 12th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Mine is the least interesting one: 'O' from my name Oguz, 'Koban' is my surname. (lack of creativity)

Seagurl51
January 12th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Sea....for Seattle (where I live and love it) or ocean which I also like (minus the fish...sharks can stay)

Gurl because well....I am one

and 51 is my favorite number backwards.....and when I picked it had some other meanings, but I can't remember them now

Warren
January 12th, 2007, 05:14 PM
I just use warren for every forum I use. I like it. I'm not creative enough to come up with any good name.

gull
January 12th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Nickname given to me by my college coach.

Warren
January 12th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Nickname given to me by my college coach.

my nickname is cheese but thats not a good screen name.

The Fortress
January 12th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I just use warren for every forum I use. I like it. I'm not creative enough to come up with any good name.

So Warren's not even your real first name?! You picked a dull fictional real name instead of a really cool user title? Hmmmm... You could always ask an administrator to change that. At least you've got a good avatar there; fits your preferred stroke and distance. Oh, I see you responded again. I agree. I don't think I'd want cheese as a user name. I'm sure you can come up with something jazzy. Or we could all give you suggestions.

I got my user name from Geochuck. He looked up my real name on a translator site and it translates to "Fortress." It kind of appealed to me as being "unconventional," so I adopted it. Thanks George:wave: I also like my nickname "Fort" which Allen and Ande use.

I will say that my daughter was peering at the screen one night and saw "Muppet." She immediately said, "what a cool nickname."

Warren
January 12th, 2007, 05:22 PM
warren is my real name

aquaFeisty
January 12th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Was at a masters meet in 2001... back then, was often not in the best mood at meets (have mellowed a lot since... and my times are faster, go figure?)... anyways, my husband put his nasty dirty socks, directly removed from his feet, in my swim bag on top of my clean stuff. A minor 'discussion' followed during which the offending socks flew several feet across the pool deck. The Feisty One was christened by a teammate who watched the whole drama.

poolraat
January 12th, 2007, 05:34 PM
You've heard of gym rats. A coworker gave me the name since I spend so much time at the pool....I also use poolraat as an email address and on other forums. I added an extra 'a' because the version with a single 'a' was taken when I got my first email account.

FlyQueen
January 12th, 2007, 05:43 PM
As if I really need to explain. My lawyer suggested that I stop using my real name so I opted for one that makes me sound a LOT faster and more proficient at fly than I really am ... aim high I always say! :agree:

SearayPaul
January 12th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Very easy. My favorite boat plus my name.

Superfly
January 12th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Superfly is the name of my first sailboat and that name referred to the classic film (or rather soundtrack) from 1972:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfly_%28film%29

I am using it in all forums Im in (swimming, sailing, whatever)

over and out
/Per

Caped Crusader
January 12th, 2007, 06:18 PM
My wife read comic books when she was young. She loves the Batman and Spiderman movies. I don't. I picked it for her to have a good laugh over. I couldn't think of anything else, just like Warren.

ensignada
January 12th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Like Per, my screenname comes from my first sailboat as well. She was a small cabinboat, an Ensenada 20, with a swing keel that I swore was going to fall off and take most of the hull with it. The designer, Lyle Hess, was said to have drawn it first on a cocktail napkin - I always imagined after enjoying a few. She pulled into the wind terribly and wasn't exactly elegant, but I loved her.

chlorini
January 12th, 2007, 07:16 PM
My name is a play on the fact that I'm Italian-American and always in the pool. My best friend actually thought of it one night during college when we decided that we needed to have "boy names" (I forget why we thought we needed them!). Mine was Bobby Chlorini and hers was Stevie B. Laneline. Now I just use chlorini because I think its funny, and it reminds me of my best friend.

CreamPuff
January 12th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I feel like a muscular man in my speedo kneeskin.

Also, I remember one of my first masters meets (it was a men and women mixed meet). I could not tell, at least in my heats, which competitors were men and which were women as the entire heat was in kneeskins (fastskins were not invented when I swam in the 80s). I was kind of shocked when the race finished and one of the people next to me ripped off their cap and goggles - and it was a woman! I know I too could easily be mistaken for man or woman in kneeskin, cap, and goggles.:joker:

So - with my "big guns" as some like to tell me, I feel like He-Man from the 80s in my kneeskin. But, I like to bring a bit of femininity (lipgloss) to the picture, so I call myself (S)he-Man, He-Man's second cousin twice removed.
But I don't bring so much femininity (lack the rack and the glorious hair) such as Wonderwoman or She-Ra would bring. So. . . (S)he-Man it is.

:rofl:

swimmieAvsFan
January 12th, 2007, 10:31 PM
mine's just odd, and it started out as my AIM screenname...

swimmie- cause that's what i do, and my name is spelled with an "ie" instead of "y", so i mixed them together

AvsFan- cause i'm a HUGE colorado avalanche fan (that's a hockey team for all you hockey virgins out there ;) )

i figured since swimming and hockey are two of my favorite sports, why not make that my screenname...

dorothyrde
January 12th, 2007, 10:38 PM
I am boring. Dorothy is my first name, and my middle initial is R. Then I messed up once trying to register on this forum with just last initial, so registered again with first two letters of my last name.

I am Mermaid on another forum because I am the only swimmer there. They call my daughter Ariel, aka, the littlest Mermaid. Her name is NOT Ariel.

Concho Pearl
January 13th, 2007, 12:23 AM
It's my ebay name I sell Bridal accessories (guestbooks, flutes, favors, etc) And when making my Ebay Id- I wanted something that represents where I live.

I live in West Texas, here we have the Concho river and in the river there are freshwater mussels some have pearls that are purple/ mother pearl color. They make the most beautiful jewelry with them. So since it's very well known here I went with it. So I came up with Concho Pearl Wedding

When making my USMS ID I thought, why not use Concho Pearl,( dropping the wedding part of course).

Even though Concho is Spanish for shell - In San Angelo- when we here "Concho" we think of river- and at the same time we think of the "Concho Pearl".
So guess I'm the pearl of the river - that swims fast ( or at least trying to swim fast) LOL

SwimStud
January 13th, 2007, 02:14 AM
I just used my first name and initials. I keep trying to think of something fun to use as nickname but I don't know. Maybe I should start a suggestion thread now you've got to see my character a bit.
Maybe "The Anti-fly" or something equally irritating to Heather would be good.
:wiggle:

geochuck
January 13th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Must we do this again???

My name is George Short form Geo

My wifes name is Mary Charlotte, she was a tomboy and when little they called her Charlie, it changed to Chuck a nickname for Charlie, then it changed to Chuckie which she still goes by.

I then combined Geo and Chuck hence geochuck.

Rich change it to Funny Guy

Muppet
January 13th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Must we do this again???

What do you mean again? I haven't seen anything since August on where everyone got their SN's! Besides, lots of new people - myself included...
:dedhorse:

FlyQueen
January 13th, 2007, 11:12 AM
mine's just odd, and it started out as my AIM screenname...

swimmie- cause that's what i do, and my name is spelled with an "ie" instead of "y", so i mixed them together

AvsFan- cause i'm a HUGE colorado avalanche fan (that's a hockey team for all you hockey virgins out there ;) )

i figured since swimming and hockey are two of my favorite sports, why not make that my screenname...

I've always wondered if you were an Avalanche fan ... I personally don't like that team, but to each his own. I'm more of an original six girl myself. Blackhawks, as pathetic as they are and for some reason the Rangers, I think that started during the Messier era. I also like the Leafs, but really everyone should.

I LOVE that you are a girl, a swimmer, and a hockey fan! Very cool!

FlyQueen
January 13th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I just used my first name and initials. I keep trying to think of something fun to use as nickname but I don't know. Maybe I should start a suggestion thread now you've got to see my character a bit.
Maybe "The Anti-fly" or something equally irritating to Heather would be good.
:wiggle:

Every medley relay needs a breaststroker to point and laugh at and to bring down their average ... ;)

poolraat
January 13th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Blackhawks, as pathetic as they are and for some reason the Rangers, I think that started during the Messier era. I also like the Leafs, but really everyone should.

Go Redwings!

swimshark
January 13th, 2007, 11:56 AM
The first part of mine is easy. Swim.... The 2nd part comes from my husband. He was a pilot in the Navy. His squadron was the Blue Sharks (VP-6 flying P3 Orions) so he has a thing for sharks. We combined it for our email and it stuck.

Alison

swimr4life
January 13th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Mine is pretty easy. I love swimming and hope to swim for the rest of my life! I'm hooked!

SwimStud
January 13th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Every medley relay needs a breaststroker to point and laugh at and to bring down their average ... ;)

OMG... MeanQueen.

I'm going to find out where and when you are training and do "bomb" off of the side right at you...watch out for slightly overweight guys in jammers...

:joker:

FlyQueen
January 13th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Oh Rich, I just give you a hard time because I can. I actually CHOSE to do breaststroke today ... I was supposed to do 5 x 200IM but I was so fried from the first part of the workout that I did the other set of 100s it was 25 free, 50 stroke, 25 free. I did mine ALL breaststroke. I also had my coach look at it after practice and try and help me. I'm swimming a 50 in my meet next week - look for a new world record ... well, maybe if I was in the 95+ age group ...

SwimStud
January 13th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Oh Rich, I just give you a hard time because I can. I actually CHOSE to do breaststroke today ... I was supposed to do 5 x 200IM but I was so fried from the first part of the workout that I did the other set of 100s it was 25 free, 50 stroke, 25 free. I did mine ALL breaststroke. I also had my coach look at it after practice and try and help me. I'm swimming a 50 in my meet next week - look for a new world record ... well, maybe if I was in the 95+ age group ...

hehe I took my kid for his lesson this morning; the pool was roasting...I was dying watching the team training there. It made me start to get twitchy I so wanted to jump in. I alas have to wait until tonight for my dip. I hope it cools off a bit by then. Good luck in the 50. I've signed up for the 200, 100 and 50 at my meet. They are conveniently in that order too so should manage good times. After that I am going to work on 0-1 mile in 6 weeks doing free(I have some PT to under go too but it shouldn't interfere too much).

Then perhaps I'll turn to fly...I'm going to get a life size poster of you to pin up, and use it to motivate me in training...I'm gonna take you down!!

The Fortress
January 13th, 2007, 01:53 PM
OMG... MeanQueen.

DON'T SAY THAT ABOUT MY BABY SISTER!!!!! :thhbbb:

Besides, she was just telling the truth. Truth is a defense to libel or slander. ;)

She even agreed to do that nasty, stinky breaststroke in a meet! She should be getting kudos, not dive bombs.

SolarEnergy
January 13th, 2007, 01:54 PM
"Energy is usually defined as the capacity to do work. The ultimate source of our energy is the sun, which radiates energy to the earth. When that energy strikes plants, it is transferred to them and stored as chemical energy through photosynthesis. When we eat these plants, or the flesh of animals that have eaten them, we take the energy into our bodies and store it for later use." (E.Maglischo)

Therefore, we are all (indirectly)fueled by solar energy, hence my nickname.

evilwatersprite
January 13th, 2007, 05:39 PM
A few years ago, a guy I was dating asked me to help him work on his swim so he could enter his first triathlon. Because I was so happy in the water and imposed a few sets that he considered punishing, he made a comment to the effect of "You know what? You're an evil water sprite."

Mausy
January 13th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Mausy

Because I was trying to think of a name and I closed my eyes and just started typing and this is what I wrote. My email uses the same name and now it is a nickname that has just stuck.

Allen Stark
January 13th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Gee,my screen name is a mystery. Please don't call breaststroke stinky. I am tired of defending the most beautiful of strokes. Yes we are slower than the thrashers,but that just gives us more time to enoy it. ( That is not precisely true for me as my backstroke is much slower than my breaststroke. My backstroke is slower than FlyQueen's breaststroke.My backstroke is slower than Johnny Weismueller's breaststroke and he's dead.)

SwimStud
January 13th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Gee,my screen name is a mystery. Please don't call breaststroke stinky. I am tired of defending the most beautiful of strokes. Yes we are slower than the thrashers,but that just gives us more time to enoy it. ( That is not precisely true for me as my backstroke is much slower than my breaststroke. My backstroke is slower than FlyQueen's breaststroke.My backstroke is slower than Johnny Weismueller's breaststroke and he's dead.)

Allen Stark...let me guess, your first name is Allen and you're a naturalist ?

The Fortress
January 13th, 2007, 10:28 PM

Hmmm... I seem to recall several posts, including this one, where you were dissing backstroke. :thhbbb: I can't remember precisely what libelous or slanderous comment you made, but you have!! Now you may have made a NiceyMcNice comment about how you needed us for a medley relay, but ....

My breaststoke is slower than most dead guys/girls' breaststrokes. In fact, without attending a Brendan Hansen or Allen Stark breaststroke clinic, I think I've hit my speed cap already.

Muppet
January 14th, 2007, 12:11 AM

I do too! ;)

Trust me, finding a female hockey fan is hard enough... The trifecta is straight up rare!:banana:

Allen Stark
January 14th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Yes I have said negative things about backstroke in the past. After my diversity training I now realize that was Strokism. I think we should endeavor to welcome all our swimming relatives,be they sprinters,open water swimmers,Etc. The lion will lie down with the lamb and the "elite" will embrace the noodlers. Even the TIers and the Mega-yardage-ists will hug. I have seen the future and it is wet.

FindingMyInnerFish
January 14th, 2007, 07:04 AM
I keep hoping there's a fish living somewhere in me that will find expression when placed in water. She's an elusive fish so far, but I don't give up easily.

Also I admire RichJB's constantly changing avatars and locations--as elusive as my little fish. ;)

idguru
January 14th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I have been using idguru on most forums and online accounts, or sometimes I use idesigngood, it all depends.
Alright, here's the breakdown:
id=industrial design, my major here at Purdue U.
guru=well...self-explanatory. I hope I will be a great designer in the future, or I'd like to think I am one now. lol. Oh and of course, a fairly decent swimmer as well.
:thhbbb:

FlyQueen
January 14th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Yes I have said negative things about backstroke in the past. After my diversity training I now realize that was Strokism. I think we should endeavor to welcome all our swimming relatives,be they sprinters,open water swimmers,Etc. The lion will lie down with the lamb and the "elite" will embrace the noodlers. Even the TIers and the Mega-yardage-ists will hug. I have seen the future and it is wet.

AWH ... :smooch: :hug: :smooch: :hug: :smooch: :hug:

We will all join hands and sing let their be peace on earth ....

Rich and I will end our fly vs breaststroke feud and the planets will align..

Allen Stark
January 14th, 2007, 11:46 PM
YES,it's the age of Aquarius.Lets all sing Kumbaya!!!LOL

SwimStud
January 14th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Rich and I will end our fly vs breaststroke feud and the planets will align..

That's only because you think my avatar is a hottie...I'm not so easily fooled...

..but if you promise to teach me to fly I won't make fun of your breaststroke in reverse...

The Fortress
January 15th, 2007, 01:21 AM
After my diversity training I now realize that was Strokism.

I think I finally found a word in initial caps that I like. :applaud:

swimmieAvsFan
January 15th, 2007, 08:21 AM
I've always wondered if you were an Avalanche fan ... I personally don't like that team, but to each his own. I'm more of an original six girl myself. Blackhawks, as pathetic as they are and for some reason the Rangers, I think that started during the Messier era. I also like the Leafs, but really everyone should.

:D
to defend my love of the Avs, when I was just starting high school, they picked up the Hershey Bears as their AHL affiliate. since i grew up about 25 minutes from Hershey, and had grown up going to Bears games, it was only natural to pick the Avs as my NHL team... and now that i'm living in DC, the Bears are the Caps' AHL team. which rocks. :woot:

Go Redwings!
boooooooooooooooo Redwings!
;)
although if i had to pick between the Canucks and the 'Wings, i'd have to pick the 'Wings...

JimCanSwim
January 15th, 2007, 08:24 AM
My first name is Jim and I Can Swim! :)

waves101
January 15th, 2007, 09:11 AM
While I'm swimming I'm making waves and while Jetskiing I'm riding waves...hence, waves. The 101 because it looks like a swimmer between 2 lane lines.

FlyQueen
January 15th, 2007, 09:39 AM
to defend my love of the Avs, when I was just starting high school, they picked up the Hershey Bears as their AHL affiliate. since i grew up about 25 minutes from Hershey, and had grown up going to Bears games, it was only natural to pick the Avs as my NHL team... and now that i'm living in DC, the Bears are the Caps' AHL team. which rocks. :woot:

boooooooooooooooo Redwings!
;)
although if i had to pick between the Canucks and the 'Wings, i'd have to pick the 'Wings...

To explain my hate of the Avs ... they beat Chicago in the playoffs ... I want to say in 95 ... Adam Foote also put a hit on Tony Amonte, who at the time I swore I was going to marry, that took out his knee and ended his season (not that it lasted much longer anyway) ...

I remember sophomore year in high school I wore my Tony Amonte jersey to school. At that point he was just another Blackhawk, no all star teams, and I had to have the jersey custom made. One guy started giving me a hard time and grilling on me on whose jersey I was wearing, what position he played (he played left or right wing depending on his line - he preferred left because it was less physical and he had a righty shot so it worked well) anyway, we became friends after that and recapped games and plays during health class rather then listen to Mr Fjestel (?) ramble on about health issues ...

FlyQueen
January 15th, 2007, 09:48 AM
That's only because you think my avatar is a hottie...I'm not so easily fooled...

..but if you promise to teach me to fly I won't make fun of your breaststroke in reverse...

Rich I extend the Olive Branch and you question my intentions? :eek: :shakeshead: :(

I'd be happy to teach you fly ... :applaud:

Muppet
January 15th, 2007, 10:03 AM

Go daBearsz!
And you're only saying that about the Wings cause thats the name of the team I am playing for. ;)

:banana: Happy 26 :banana:

FlyQueen
January 15th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I'm with Mollie on this one ... I hate the Red Wings ...

swimmieAvsFan
January 15th, 2007, 10:43 AM
To explain my hate of the Avs ... they beat Chicago in the playoffs ... I want to say in 95 ... Adam Foote also put a hit on Tony Amonte, who at the time I swore I was going to marry, that took out his knee and ended his season (not that it lasted much longer anyway) ...

I remember sophomore year in high school I wore my Tony Amonte jersey to school. At that point he was just another Blackhawk, no all star teams, and I had to have the jersey custom made. One guy started giving me a hard time and grilling on me on whose jersey I was wearing, what position he played (he played left or right wing depending on his line - he preferred left because it was less physical and he had a righty shot so it worked well) anyway, we became friends after that and recapped games and plays during health class rather then listen to Mr Fjestel (?) ramble on about health issues ...

couldn't have been the '95 playoffs, cause they were still the Nordiques at that point :)
are you thinking of the year the Avs beat the Blackhawks and went on to win the Stanley Cup? that was '96. so you're close with '95 ;)

Go daBearsz!
And you're only saying that about the Wings cause thats the name of the team I am playing for. ;)

:banana: Happy 26 :banana:

no, it's not only cause you're playing on a team with the name Redwings... any true Avs fan has to hate the 'Wings. and i'm assuming it's the same way if you're a Blackhawks fan???

and thanks for the dance bananas. :)

SwimStud
January 15th, 2007, 10:50 AM
rather then listen to Mr Fjestel (?) ramble on about health issues ...

I bet he hated fly too...

We're weren't feuding it was more like goading...

FlyQueen
January 15th, 2007, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=swimmieAvsFan;74384]couldn't have been the '95 playoffs, cause they were still the Nordiques at that point :)
are you thinking of the year the Avs beat the Blackhawks and went on to win the Stanley Cup? that was '96. so you're close with '95 ;)

QUOTE]

Yes, we hate the Red Wings, too!

You are correct I was thinking fall of 95, but it would have been 96 at that point ... I knew it was my sophomore year in high school ...

I had a friend that was drafted by Colorado, but I don't think he made it out of the minors, I've tried to find him but couldn't ...

FlyQueen
January 15th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I bet he hated fly too...

We're weren't feuding it was more like goading...

He probably liked fly, he was cool like that ... you are right back to semantics we go ... feuding probably was NOT the right word ... but since you called me out on the boards for my error the feud/war/goading is back on ... GO FLY!

Muppet
January 15th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Dont worry, ladies, I don't much like the Red Wings either.... but my team has no color to our wings...

Go Wings!:groovy:

poolraat
January 15th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I didn't even know hockey existed until I got married. I married the ultimate sports nut! She knew (knows) more about sports than anyone else I know.
And the NHL is ok but she introduced me to college hockey. Go Badgers!!

The Fortress
January 15th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I didn't even know hockey existed until I got married. I married the ultimate sports nut! She knew (knows) more about sports than anyone else I know.
And the NHL is ok but she introduced me to college hockey. Go Badgers!!

Isn't there a single baseball fan on this forum?! You all seem like hockey fans. I myself put in many years of fantasy baseball. The Mets suck. And so does Barry Bonds. I love sports. I feel sorry for guys married to or dating women who don't.

Muppet
January 15th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Isn't there a single baseball fan on this forum?! You all seem like hockey fans. I myself put in many years of fantasy baseball. The Mets suck. And so does Barry Bonds. I love sports. I feel sorry for guys married to or dating women who don't.

Ugh, baseball. I mean look at those guys. Plus the chewin' of T'backie during the game. :dedhorse:

poolraat
January 15th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Isn't there a single baseball fan on this forum?!

I have to admit to being a Cubs fan.

FlyQueen
January 15th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Of course! When pitchers and catchers report next month, my fellow Cubs fans and I will cling to the belief, as we do every year, that this will be our year. We will continue to believe this until it once again becomes mathematically impossible for us to make the playoffs at which point we will start talking and believing that next year really will be our year.

Love,
The girl who had her 4th birthday party ruined by the Cubs exit out of the playoffs ... my mom carried a box of Kleenex around for a week, my uncle had to leave and take a walk ...

We are also die hard Bears fans ... I am the lone hockey fan in the family ... and dad is a Sox fan, but we still allow him to be a part of the family ...

FlyQueen
January 15th, 2007, 12:15 PM
I have to admit to being a Cubs fan.

I knew I liked and smelled an air of constant disappointment about you ...

I went to Miami for the playoffs in 2003 ... with the now exboyfriend ... the same weekend Ohio State lost to those darn badgers ... it was not a good weekend, though we/The Cubs did win the game we went to ...

The Fortress
January 15th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Of course! ... and dad is a Sox fan, but we still allow him to be a part of the family ...

I can't believe you allow him to be part of the family!! What happened to him? Many years ago, during my years in Chicago, my friends and I took up residency in the cheap seats in the center field bleachers where we cheered on the Cubs (knowing we would be disappointed) and admired the hot bod of Andre Dawson. Opening day was always a highlight. It was always about 30 degrees... I love the Cubs, but I gotta say I'm a diehard Red Sox and Twins fans. That's why Mets suck.

FlyQueen
January 15th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Cubs fans and Red Sox fans are kindred spirits or at least were until a couple of years ago ...

Dad's always been a White Sox fan, grew up in a Southwest suburb ... he cheers for the Cubs too which is why he has been allowed to stick around ...

Oh Andre ... Andre, Ryno and then Mark Grace ... I thought I was going to marry Ryno in the pre-Mark Grace era, then I was going to marry Mark Grace ... I used to argue with opposing team fans when I was 5 over who was better ... I thought Ryne Sandberg was the best player EVER. And I would tell the Cardinal fans around me that he was ...

Muppet
January 15th, 2007, 01:51 PM
I saw Mark Grace play when he was fresh into the MLB farm system with the Pittsfield (MA) Cubs (before they became the Pittsfield Mets). Still have the baseball card.

The Fortress
January 15th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I saw Mark Grace play when he was fresh into the MLB farm system with the Pittsfield (MA) Cubs (before they became the Pittsfield Mets). Still have the baseball card.

I loved Ryno too. As well as Greg Maddux.

I have never recovered from the 1986 World Series, which I watched with a bunch of Mets fans. And I still have my original homer hanky from the 1987 World Series that the Twins won. I was very disillusioned when Kirby Puckett's secret life was uncovered ...

knelson
January 15th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Count me in. I'm a lifelong Detroit Tigers fan. It's been a little hard to cheer for them the last few years, though--with the obvious exception of last year! Since I live in Seattle now I follow the Mariners. The last couple years haven't been a real joy for their fans either.

When I travel I like to go to games in new stadiums. So far I think I've seen major league games in about 15 different parks.

Which reminds me. I just checked the schedule and the Mariners will be at home during Nationals in May. Safeco Field is a great place to watch a game!

Peter Cruise
January 15th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Kirk- I am a Mariners and Jays fan, but I haven't seen the Mariners do anything this offseason to improve their team (even losing a few players) so going to see them during Nats could bring on unwanted stomach upset- mind you, it is May, after all, and they should still be less than 10 games out of first...

Caped Crusader
January 15th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Ugh, baseball.

'Nuf said.

Buffalo Bills fan, myself. Also watch Syracuse basketball.

KaizenSwimmer
January 15th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Mets fan since 1964 when Shea Stadium opened. I'd go to games after visiting the World's Fair. My sole pro or college sports interest, with one exception. I'm also a fan of whoever's playing the Yankees.

I've previously explained my screenname. Kaizen is a term popularized in the US by W. Edwards Deming after studying how the Japanese used statistical analysis to incrementally improve process quality during the 60s and bringing those lessons to US companies for whom he became the "quality guru." Kaizen means Continuous Improvement.

The Fortress
January 15th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Buffalo Bills fan, myself.

Almost as depressing as being a Minnesota Vikings fan. Being a New England Patriots fan is much more fulfilling.

In light of Kaizen's comment, I feel compelled to say it again. Mets suck. :thhbbb:

ande
January 15th, 2007, 11:26 PM
it's my name

ande

SwimStud
January 15th, 2007, 11:29 PM
LOL Ande hehehe I can picture you pulling a "what do you think?" face and rolling your eyes as you say that!

FlyQueen
January 15th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Almost as depressing as being a Minnesota Vikings fan. Being a New England Patriots fan is much more fulfilling.

With a much hotter quarterback ...

Allen Stark
January 16th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Terry,I'm pretty sure you have it backwards. Deming came up with his ideas of continous quality improvement and tried to teach US companies who turned a deaf ear. Then the Japanese took his ideas and ran with them and the rest is history. At least that is the story I have been told on more than one occasion.

swimshark
January 16th, 2007, 07:51 AM

I love sports, too. I actually like them more than my husband :laugh2: College football is one of my favorites. But my all time non-swimming sport is baseball. I love the Braves! One year I made it to 13 games. Not bad for a girl on a small salary. Of course then they got good and you couldn't get tickets. Now that I'm in DC area, I've taken my 21 month old son to a Nationals vs Braves game. What a good game (yes, Braves won).

I gew up in NY catching a few Yankees games. My sister was a Royals fan so we'd go for their games. I was actually at the George Brett pine tar game. 3rd level, right above home plate. I got to see it all.

I also like hockey but prefer minor league. I love sitting 1st or 2nd row to really catch all the action!

Alison

KaizenSwimmer
January 16th, 2007, 08:05 AM
In light of Kaizen's comment, I feel compelled to say it again. Mets suck. :thhbbb:

I'm happy to let this be sorted out on the field. In 2006 they had the best regular season record in the major leagues.

I'm happy they didn't go after Barry Zito this off-season. I'm much more excited watching low-cost young pitchers, like John Maine and Oliver Perez (and like Zito was 7 years ago) develop.

KaizenSwimmer
January 16th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Terry,I'm pretty sure you have it backwards. Deming came up with his ideas of continous quality improvement and tried to teach US companies who turned a deaf ear. Then the Japanese took his ideas and ran with them and the rest is history. At least that is the story I have been told on more than one occasion.

Quite right. I checked wikipedia. Thanks for the correction, which makes his story even more interesting.

Deming was sent to Japan by the US Army in 1950 to help ensure the accuracy of the first postwar census. His ideas on continuous quality improvement were warmly received there because Japanese industry had been so utterly devastated by the war.

He was generally ignored in the US for over 30 years because US companies -- complacent in their global hegemony -- were disinclined to question traditional management theories. US industry became more receptive in the 80s as the rest of the world -- and especially Japan -- began to cut into our economic dominance

SwimStud
January 16th, 2007, 08:27 AM

Is that a sport? I think it's about as atheltic as making tea! Cricket isn't much better!

Aquaholic
January 16th, 2007, 02:52 PM
because I am one and it's so shameful that my identity must remain anonymous

swim4me
January 16th, 2007, 03:08 PM

So you have a swimming problem?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mine is self-explainatory. I swim 4 me because I love it:wiggle: :wiggle:

TheGoodSmith
January 16th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Because anyone who calls themselves the "good" one is inherently not.

Terry,..... at my company, Kaizen means stop everything you are doing for 4-5 days and pretend the Sick of Sigma black belt person actually knows more about your own job than you do...... :-)

John Smith

Caped Crusader
January 16th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Because anyone who calls themselves the "good" one is inherently not.

Terry,..... at my company, Kaizen means stop everything you are doing for 4-5 days and pretend the Sick of Sigma black belt person actually knows more about your own job than you do...... :-)

John Smith

This is actually funny. I may have to change my name. Not to anything resembling Kaizen though. And SwimStud doesn't suit me, and is already taken.

goggles
January 17th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Hi everybody new to the site. Chose my name in recognition of the fact that through nervousness started my first competitive race in 30 odd years with my goggles sitting on top of my head! Lame or what?:shakeshead:

Muppet
January 17th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Hi everybody new to the site. Chose my name in recognition of the fact that through nervousness started my first competitive race in 30 odd years with my goggles sitting on top of my head! Lame or what?:shakeshead:

Awesome! Welcome! Makes a great story, eh? :D

SwimStud
January 17th, 2007, 11:11 AM

For the love of The Great Breaststroker, don't put subliminal messages into my head...

nanananananananeeeeeeeeeeeIcantheeeeeeeeeeeeearyoo oooooooooooooo

The Fortress
January 19th, 2007, 05:02 PM

Is it really that shameful?

I think it's OK to remain anonymous, although I think everyone knows me. But anonymity seems to frustrate others.

Better to be an aquaholic than an alcoholic! Good luck, don't overdo it, and I hope your shoulders hold out with all that swimming.

aqualech
January 21st, 2007, 12:31 AM
Sounds kind of like that old Jethro Tull album and song "Aqualung" that I still like. It just popped into my head when I was trying to think of a name for my gmail account, as all of the obvious ones, like my name, are taken. I thought that it sounded funny as well as having a ring to it. But as you might suspect by now, I am kind of a lecher when it comes to leering at members of the opposite sex in the next lane.

Aqualech sez: "Look, but don't touch. But go ahead and look!" (Discreetly, of course!)

And just one quick clarification: no, I don't do that straight-arm backstroke where I end up mauling all of the people in the next lane on purpose - I just suck at backstroke.

poolraat
January 21st, 2007, 09:13 PM
Aqualech sez: "Look, but don't touch. But go ahead and look!" (Discreetly, of course!)

Get mirrired googles and you won't get busted.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

GoodWillHunter
January 22nd, 2007, 10:11 AM
I am a fan of the movie Good Will Hunting. I was at work and missing my then-youngest, Hunter. Thus, GoodWillHunter. I also look for the best in people (or at least try to). My username reminds me to continue the search.

And Allen, You're funny.

3strokes
March 2nd, 2007, 05:02 PM
My signature says it all (or most of it, anyway).

Not that I am a master of three strokes (in an IM) and not really
that I lack three strokes (I only race Free) but my detected stroke
revealed that I had had two previous ones. So, I resumed swimming after
40 years OFF (and, I'm ashamed to say 45 years of heavy smoking.
Yes I used to smoke while "swimming competitively") and quit smoking a few
months later.

Cheers

m2tall2
March 2nd, 2007, 06:21 PM
I've used this screen name for many non-swimming related things before I ever signed up for a swimming message board.

However, this screen name actually does relate to my swimming. When I was in age groups when I was around 10 or 11 some of the people my age on the team decided to start calling my dad "Too Tall". Highly creative. It morphed from there and they decided to give everyone nicknames. I got christened with "too tall too" or, "too tall two", as in number 2, or also, because my dad was the original "too tall". When I went to sign up for my first screen name ever, probably around the same time or not long after, it wouldn't let me use a number as the first character. So I tacked on an M, standing for Michelle.

And woila, M2tall2.

Very unoriginal, but very swimming related.

(I'm a smidge over 6' and my Dad is almost 6'8", that puts me in the over the 99th height percentile for all women in the world.)

notsofast
March 2nd, 2007, 10:09 PM
. . . of obvious origin, I think. Had I been more clever when I registered, I could have been 'tile counter,' in honor of my kick sets.

ensignada
March 2nd, 2007, 10:47 PM
. . . of obvious origin, I think. Had I been more clever when I registered, I could have been 'tile counter,' in honor of my kick sets.

LOL That is very, very funny.

3strokes
April 27th, 2007, 09:37 PM
What do you mean again? I haven't seen anything since August on where everyone got their SN's! Besides, lots of new people - myself included...
:dedhorse:

Now, that I've been a "member" for a bit over a month and as I try to place/associate names (or personae) with Avatars and occasional real names (and you ladies and gentlemen keep changing avatars more often than I change goggles on a bad face day) what say you we ask the SiteMaster to make it a requirement for (or a gentle request of) every new joining member to post in this thread first?

Just a thought.

3strokes
April 27th, 2007, 09:46 PM
. The 101 because it looks like a swimmer between 2 lane lines.

........ I'm catching up on my reading.

When you achieve perfection in streamlining, will you change that to
1 0 1 ?

Karen Duggan
April 27th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Thanks for bringing this one up. I learned a lot just now. I feel incredibly un-creative. Hmmm. I'll do some thinking, but I'm always up for suggestions:

sprintersRevil

ilovethepole

wheresaaronP?

smarta!@ (after all it's better than being a dumb one!)

smileyfan

hornsholduphalo

newmastersswimmer
April 27th, 2007, 11:09 PM
First I know this seems a bit off topic....BUT since so many others chimed in with their favorite MLB teams.....and somehow MLB is now tied in with this year's SCY Nats in Federal Way....well here's my take:

For all you cubs fans and former Cubs fans out there (Les, Heather, Carrie, and Poolraat in partichular), I just want to say....yikes good luck with all that LOL! And Les being a Redsox fan aint much better...sorry (First of all its the wrong league anyway as the only real baseball league is the NL IMO!!). Now the Stros are a real baseball team worthy of some actual respect IMO!....and yes thier archrivals the Cardinals are a pretty good team as well....You gotta love David Eckstein's work ethic which seems to permeate everything the Cardinals stand for......and when do you remember ever seeing a better defense than these guys...Edmonds, Rolen, Eckstein, Pujols, Molina, and Carpenter...to name a few. I also have to admit that the Mets are a pretty awesome team too....but I respect the Cardinals a lot more....And the Mets stole Carlos Beltran away from the Stros and I still haven't gotten over that one! LOL!

Bork

Now back to avatars and forum names:

I think I already said this earlier in the thread??....but I was once new to masters swimming (believe it or not)....I guess I didn't think that one out very well before I chose it...LOL!

That Guy
April 28th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Luckily I chose a name which requires no explanation.

So. Where can I get some decent pancakes around here?

3strokes
April 28th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Luckily I chose a name which requires no explanation.

So. Where can I get some decent pancakes around here?

I guess, whenever you inspire someone to register as "This Guy" or
for the gentler but stronger gender, as "This or That gal".

indyswimbag
April 28th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Indianapolis is where I originally called home before I became a travel nurse

the swim part is obvious and the bag part comes from the idea that my teammates used to tell me that I "bagged events under 100yds" that would be because the only fast twitch muscles I own are the ones I use for blinking and speaking....so therefore the distance and breaststroker I became;)

clownfish
April 29th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Have you seen my breaststroke??? :rofl:

3strokes
April 29th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Have you seen my breaststroke??? :rofl:

Great quip!

FindingMyInnerFish
April 29th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Because we all came into existence as swimmers (inside our moms) and on an evolutionary scale, we all emerged from the water, I feel as if there's a fish in all of us, if we allow it to find expression. My inner fish is quite an elusive creature. Sometimes she shows me glimpses of her old glory... sometimes she's downright in hiding, and I feel very much like a land animal. The upside is that no one tries to catch me with nets or hooks. ;) I suppose the more accurate phrase might be "still looking for my inner fish," but that seemed too long, even longer than my already too lengthy screen name, and anyway "finding" has a more positive ring. Sometimes envisioning what you want requires you to envision already having it.

imspoiled
April 30th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Ummm..Do I really need to explain? I blame my husband.

BTW- Barb, I love the scrapple avatar; although, it is causing me to feel a bit queazy this morning. LOL.

SwimStud
April 30th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Me...I have no clue...

Poolraat came up with it...

newmastersswimmer
April 30th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Me...I have no clue... posted by SwimStud

....And that's not just about your forum name now is it Rich? LOL! :rofl: :thhbbb:

You know I'm only j/k with you Rich....Here's a beer on me for being such a good sport! :drink:

Bork :banana: :banana: (a few viagra smiley's always adds a nice finishing touch don't you think? LOL!)

Got Boost
May 1st, 2007, 12:46 AM
I drive a car that is now turbo charged. When it was new turbo charging was not an option. It has been seriously upgraded. The pressure generated by the turbo is called and I just made a play off the milk ads.
Got Boost

YBDRY
May 4th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Pretty easy....Why be dry?.....Swim!

spiderman
May 7th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Spiderman

When I swim races my coach says you look like a daddy long legs when you swim.

globuggie
May 7th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I actually don't remember exactly how I came up with my user name, but I've been using it since I was about 13 or 14, which is not all that many years ago. I think I was just trying variations of glowbug, and that's the first one that wasn't already taken. Glowbug is a nickname I had used a little earlier - it somehow developed from my favorite painting at the time being Van Gogh's Starry Night, but again, I'm not quite sure how.

Cat & Mouse
May 8th, 2007, 10:25 AM
It was carefully chosen for the ball.

Slowswim
May 8th, 2007, 12:35 PM
When I first had a coach, she said, "Oh no, you're a fast swimmer; you're the worst to coach." So when I left to come to Atlanta, "I thanked her for curing me of that."

I guess she meant I was fast for 25M or less, but she was going to train me to be a Triathlete and swim 1.2 - 2.4 miles. She slowed me down, gave me control, and some technique. I just wish I could have stayed for her to finish the job.:doh:
</IMG>