PDA

View Full Version : Help...

tonydownunda
January 13th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I have been swimming with my local masters for a year now. Our pool is six lanes. Lane 1 is the slowest lane and lane 6 is the fastest lane. It has been this way for years. It is usually two or three of us that are stuck in lane six against the wall. It has effected our stroke tremendously being against the wall. I never want to do any stroke other than freestyle. I have scraped and hit the wall numerous times trying not to hit other swimmers in my lane.

I know how lane designations are suppose to be setup. Usually the faster swimmers are in the middle and the slower swimmers are on the outside. This encourages a faster pool. Are there any articles that I can present to the other swimmers or does anyone have any advice? A recomendation that is probably going to be adopted is a weekly rotation of lanes. Confusing.

Thanks.

Warren
January 13th, 2007, 02:46 PM
just set it up like its a meet. Fastest in lane 3, second fastes in lane 4, then 2,5,6,1

geochuck
January 13th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Very good Warren.

some_girl
January 13th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Wait, so is your question "How Can I Change Everything to Suit Me and Inconvenience the Rest of the Team and Probably the Coaches Because Being Faster Means I Shouldn't Have to Swim Next to the Wall?"

Our team is set up the way you descibe and lane 6 swims all four strokes. And sometimes hit the wall. And sometimes people in the middle lanes hit the lane lines. Or each other. Besides it seems to help the coaches to have lanes that finish at about the same time next to one another.

If I were you, I'd be happy they agreed to rotate and leave it at that.

CreamPuff
January 14th, 2007, 07:38 PM
A rotation seems incredibly fair.

Right now at my pool, the fastest swimmers practice in the gutter lanes (lane 1 and/ or 2). I swam in the end lane this past Saturday. I like practicing in additional turbulance as it helps me practice for OW conditions and makes the meets feel like smooth sailing (when it's just you in the lane.) Getting beat up by the wall is easy compared to the injuries you can sustain in gymnastics, running and biking (tris).

Muppet
January 15th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Tony,

Our pool has 9-foot wide lanes, and the wall lane has an extra foot of width b/c of the wall-lane lane rope that is put in when there is a competition. Tony, I am guessing you have skinny lanes and don't have the lanerope there.

If the rotation thing doesn't work, you can try to combine your lanes 5 and 6 - hopefully speeds aren't that different - and swimmers can move back and forth between the two each practice. Putting a few lane 6 swimmers in lane 5 (and vice versa), folks can race each other all practice long. It really puts some excitement into practice and motivates everyone to swim better!

Regardless, wall-lane training isn't all that bad - you get to train through crappy water, so that when you compete in good water, you're that much stronger!

FlyQueen
January 15th, 2007, 11:22 AM
People with 6 lanes to swim in are complaining? Do you whine about your starting blocks, too?

I'm kidding ...

I think you should set it up like a meet. That's how we swim. Or rotate OR set it up as sprinter, stroke, and distance lanes. Our lane 1 swimmers (we don't use lane 5, the other wall lane) don't seem to mind the wall lane, they prefer it actually and since they are only swimming free and back it isn't an issue for them ... rotating only seems fair though ...

I hate the wall lane and avoid it all costs because I find it nearly impossible to swim fly and breast in those lanes with other people you inevitable kick the wall on breast, smash your hands on fly and back, too ... no fun.

geochuck
January 15th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I just received this email this morning asking for help

Hi George,

I believe I took swimming lessons from you 33 years ago at the George Park swim club in the Hamilton/Stoney Creek, Ontario area when I was 4 years old. Are you this same George Park?

I'm 37 years old now - and have a six year old son that I would very much like to take the same calibre of swim lessons that I took with you. I went on to become a very strong swimmer and would like to develop in my young son the same skill sets.

So far, I've had my son in the YMCA program here in Oakville when he was 3/4 - but he didn't learn too much - it was more of a play class. Then, I joined him up at the "Dolphins" swim club in Oakville off and on over the last year. He is progressing a bit better than he did at the YMCA, but I find the lessons are so short (i.e. they are only 30 minutes (for 4 kids in the class) and the young teenage instructors he has had so far, don't have the same passion to teach the kids that you did).

It is a bit disheartening to see today's methods of teaching given I remember how I first learned how to swim with you i.e. we just were told to jump in the pool and "dog paddle" to you. In that very first swim lesson with you, I learned more about swimming than my son has in the past 3 years.

Anyhow, I'm not certain where you are located now given you have a 1-604 area code. Can you please recommend a good place in the Oakville/Burlington area (or even Hamilton) -- someone who you think is worthy of recommendation for my six year old (who is at the beginner level).

Would very much appreciate your advice.

Muppet
January 15th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I just received this email this morning asking for help

Awww, that is soooooooo cute!!! :D