PDA

View Full Version : novice needs advice

MikeTamborrino
January 15th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I was hoping someone could help me. I'm a very fit runner and cyclist who recently decided to add swimming to my activity list for future tri's. I read the book "The Essential Swimmer" by Steve Tarpinian for some very helpful tips.

Here's my problem: I lack any buoyancy. My upper body will float, on either side, but my legs won't. I think my position in the water is wrong and may be too upright, with my legs hanging down. I tried a kicking drill Tarpinian suggested, where I took a board, held it with outstretched arms in front of me, and kicked to move forward. I went nowhere and may have actually moved slightly backwards (it's OK to laugh! LOL).

Any advice?

Thanks,

Mike

ande
January 15th, 2007, 01:26 PM
many excellent swimmers don't float, it's most common with muscular males
you need to learn how to stay in proper body position with minimal effort while you're swimming freestyle

get someone who swims well to show you how

ande

I was hoping someone could help me. I'm a very fit runner and cyclist who recently decided to add swimming to my activity list for future tri's. I read the book "The Essential Swimmer" by Steve Tarpinian for some very helpful tips.

Here's my problem: I lack any buoyancy. My upper body will float, on either side, but my legs won't. I think my position in the water is wrong and may be too upright, with my legs hanging down. I tried a kicking drill Tarpinian suggested, where I took a board, held it with outstretched arms in front of me, and kicked to move forward. I went nowhere and may have actually moved slightly backwards (it's OK to laugh! LOL).

Any advice?

Thanks,

Mike

Muppet
January 15th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Mike,

I hope you weren't affected when Dunder-Mifflin Paper Co. closed their office in your hometown.

Anyways... No one's legs float. There is a LOT of muscle in ones legs, especially if you bike and run a lot, and not much in the way of fat (which floats). Everyone's legs hang down, which is why we kick.

Your head position has a lot to do with how the rest of your body sits in the water. If you tilt your head up, your legs will sink. Try to keep your head looking straight downward. Kick-wise, keep the toes pointed, knees fairly straight, and try to kick from your hips.

nkfrench
January 15th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Some peoples legs float (mine do, alas) ... but I don't think I've seen a fit male who had buoyant legs.

When you sit on the floor and point your toes, how close to the floor do your toes get ? You can do a few things to stretch your ankles but could make yourself more susceptible to sprained ankles while running.

waves101
January 16th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Go to the deep end. Hold your arms up and kick. Keep kicking - trying to keep your head above water for as long as possible. Experiment with the way you are kicking to see what works best for you. Once you've got it go back to the lanes and try to emulate it with the kick board. If you were going backward, I'd surmize you were bending at the knees way too much.

nancytris
January 16th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Going nowhere kicking:shakeshead: . That is definitely my problem! I swim on my own so consequently learn all my skills and drills from reading, watching and getting on this board for all the words of wisdom and great advice that comes through.

My pool does not have a deep enough area to do any vertical kicking. Are there other drills that can help me move forward with kick only? I appreciate any help. :smooch:

Nancy