PDA

View Full Version : Swimstud needs start advice.

SwimStud
January 16th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Ok we all agree a bad dive will ruin my SwimStud reputationand turn me into SwimTwit...so, do I have this right? I'm serious even though I am being humourous...it's been a quarter century folks...

1) They tell us when to get on the blocks ( I should not flex to the others right?)
2) "On your marks" toes can go over the edge.

3) "Get set" do the grab

3a) False start

4) "Go" Jump off half a beat behind b/c of worrying about another FS and DQ

5) Swim well

6) Smile at the finish whether I come in last or first in my heat.

Rich

swim4me
January 16th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Ok we all agree a bad dive will ruin my SwimStud reputationand turn me into SwimTwit...so, do I have this right? I'm serious even though I am being humourous...it's been a quarter century folks...

1) They tell us when to get on the blocks ( I should not flex to the others right?)
2) "On your marks" toes can go over the edge.

3) "Get set" do the grab

3a) False start

4) "Go" Jump off half a beat behind b/c of worrying about another FS and DQ

5) Swim well

6) Smile at the finish whether I come in last or first in my heat.

Rich

1) You can flex for intimidation when you get on the blocks ;)
2) "On your marks" & "get set" are usually combined - toes over edge and grab
3) You won't false start as you will be prepared by watching on the previous races how long it is between when the starter says "on your marks" and when the horn blows.
4) Swim well
5) Smile at the finish whether or not you come in first in your heat
6) HAVE FUN and enjoy every minute of it :groovy:

The Fortress
January 16th, 2007, 10:21 PM
3a) False start
Rich

I used to do this on purpose sometimes when I was young. Har, har. Not allowed now.

Sure you want to do a grab start?

Here are two recent threads with clips to watch:
"track start clip" & "proper grab start"

Didn't Donna start a thread on "starting block starts" awhile ago? Poor thing, wasting away in the Honduras with no internet service ...

Those should help. I'm glad you're at a pool that actually lets you practice starts without kicking you out or making you sign a waiver. Definitely need to practice starts to blast off the blocks well. Hold on to your goggles. ;) Don't splash too much. Don't go too shallow so that you can get a nice underwater pull/dolphin kick. Work on breakouts. Don't get DQ'd. Definitely smile. It's masters.

SwimStud
January 16th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I used to do this on purpose sometimes when I was young. Har, har. Not allowed now.

Sure you want to do a grab start?

Here are two recent threads with clips to watch:
"track start clip" & "proper grab start"

Didn't Donna start a thread on "starting block starts" awhile ago? Poor thing, wasting away in the Honduras with no internet service ...

Those should help. I'm glad you're at a pool that actually lets you practice starts without kicking you out or making you sign a waiver. Definitely need to practice starts to blast off the blocks well. Hold on to your goggles. ;) Don't splash too much. Don't go too shallow so that you can get a nice underwater pull/dolphin kick. Work on breakouts. Don't get DQ'd. Definitely smile. It's masters.

I can't do trackstarts...it feels odd. I grab OK---it may not be the "grab" with the virtual hanging on...my hips just didn't like the trackstart. My dive isn't going to be the difference between Olympic gold and Silver so Ias long as I don't do anything wrong before I launch. I might go late and have the guard yell go if there's nobody about. I won't be radically changing anything stroke/dive at this point. I need to settle in to what I am going to do.
I'm just more worried about doing the wrong thing a the wrong time...LOL. I do go through the take marks -get set in my head and use the pace clock for the "go" hehe

poolraat
January 17th, 2007, 12:34 AM
If you can go to an age group or masters meet and listen to the starter.
Most of the commands are done with a whistle. It is as follows:

The referee will give a series of short blasts with the whistle - on this command remove your warmups and sandals and whatever else you might be wearing (not your suit!!), stand behind the blocks and make last minute adjustments to cap and goggles.

The next command will be a long whistle blast by the referee - step up on the blocks get your feet set in your starting position.

At this point the referee will turn the race over to the starter. The starter will say "Take your mark" and when everyone is set will hit the starting beep.

Under the current rules a false start is an automatic DQ. and the race will not be recalled. The swimmer that launches early will be informed after the race.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, ask. I'm a starter and will give you any help and answer any questions that I can.

Allen Stark
January 17th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Poolraat is right on. One good thing about the no false start rule is you don't have to worry about anyone else false starting. When the starter beeps the race is on,if someone false started the find out at the end of the race,no recall.

dorothyrde
January 17th, 2007, 06:13 AM
You can always ask the ref to go over the whistle starts. Also, if you don't swim the first race, watch the ref and the swimmers so you know the sequence.

LindsayNB
January 17th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Just to emphasize a point Poolraat made, when the whistle blows to step up on the blocks you should position your feet with your toes over the edge, i.e. you should not wait until on your marks to do this. In fact the referee won't turn control over to the starter until all the swimmers have their feet in position.

SwimStud
January 17th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Thanks all. If I DQ will they still give me a time...? Although it won't count. It will for me internally. OK I'll watch when the others get on the block I will too and hoock my toes.

Just as a note, my back may prevent a grab. What is the set just toes over or holding the lip too? This could be a problem. I normally (at training) just touch ankles and fly.

FYI: I won't be wearing a cap, noseclip, or shaving beyond a #1 on my razor (more of a vanity shave than anything else LOL) :laugh2:

blainesapprentice
January 17th, 2007, 10:08 AM
The long whistle blow= get on blocks and get your situated...some people, myself included, get bent over ready to grab the blocks at this point as well. Within a few seconds, once the official sees that everyone is situated and has stopped moving for the most part, he will say the event name/heat...followed by, take your mark--this is where you tighten up, grab the blocks, and tuck your head. The next sound will be the gun or the beep indicating go!

If you false start...they will sound the buzzer several times quickly, and possibly drop the line to stop/catch swimmers who didn't hear the buzzer sounding the false start. Everyone will need to swim back to the starting wall, shake it off, and restart the race. I am not sure about masters swimming, but in college, high school and uss one false start and your out--no chance to swim again. Age group they give you two chances.

haha..now theres nothing at all to be worried about:-D

some_girl
January 17th, 2007, 10:29 AM
7) Figure out which of the people laughing at you is me.

SwimStud
January 17th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Are you coming up for the meet? :cool:

some_girl
January 17th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Yes. And I will report back to all about your race.

poolraat
January 17th, 2007, 10:57 AM
If you false start...they will sound the buzzer several times quickly, and possibly drop the line to stop/catch swimmers who didn't hear the buzzer sounding the false start. Everyone will need to swim back to the starting wall, shake it off, and restart the race. I am not sure about masters swimming, but in college, high school and uss one false start and your out--no chance to swim again. Age group they give you two chances.

They may recall in HS and college but Masters and USS age group now have a no recall rule and one false start is a DQ.

SwimStud
January 17th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Yes. And I will report back to all about your race.

Haha hey go right ahead if you get your jollies humiliating swimmers that took a 25yr hiatus.

I was only going to tell my friends and adivsors but if you want to be my publicist...that's fine.

I guess I'll figure out who you are when you pull up in the Camaro, with big hair and cup of CAWFEE? :thhbbb: ;)

I think we need a no stalking rule...

Muppet
January 17th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Masters, you False Start and the only swimming you do is back to the wall to have the referee tell you to go elsewhere.

As for the toes, I agree with concensus that you set those before the starter says anything. That's usually the first thing I do when I am allowed up on the blocks.

Also, with the track start, I am usually toe-positioned and bent over/set before the starter says take your marks. Once those words are mentioned, I tighten my grab and start leaning forward.

some_girl
January 17th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Haha hey go right ahead if you get your jollies humiliating swimmers that took a 25yr hiatus.

I was only going to tell my friends and adivsors but if you want to be my publicist...that's fine.

I guess I'll figure out who you are when you pull up in the Camaro, with big hair and cup of CAWFEE? :thhbbb: ;)

I think we need a no stalking rule...

I'm from hipster Brooklyn, not big-hair Brooklyn. And you shall know me by my fly.

Besides, it doesn't count as stalking if you're cute, right? And by you I mean me.

Ivor
January 17th, 2007, 12:52 PM
It doesn't count as stalking if you're cute, right?

Personally I think it depends on whether or not you've invested in a pair of night-vision goggles.

SwimStud
January 17th, 2007, 12:54 PM
I'm from hipster Brooklyn, not big-hair Brooklyn. And you shall know me by my fly.

Besides, it doesn't count as stalking if you're cute, right? And by you I mean me.

Hahaha that's a bit like this...

"There are two kinds of sexual harrasment: The good kind and the bad kind!"

That didn't get many laughs in the "Business Law" class at university...
Lawyers...they lack humour until they give you their hourly billing charges...
:dedhorse:

scyfreestyler
January 17th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Lock your hands together and pin your ears to your head with your arms. I failed to lock my hands in a 50 Free last year and nearly dislocated my LH shoulder. Aside from injury prevention, it will make you faster.

poolraat
January 17th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Just as a note, my back may prevent a grab. What is the set just toes over or holding the lip too? This could be a problem. I normally (at training) just touch ankles and fly.

Just get set in the position that is most comfortable for you and hold motionless. A good starter will not give the start signal until he/she is satisfied that all swimmers are ready and motionless.

Even if you get DQ'd, either the timing system or stopwatches will have your time. Ask the timers on your lane for your time when you get out of the water.

The Fortress
January 17th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I'm from hipster Brooklyn,

I never doubted it for a minute. I knew from your extensive vocabulary and entertaining sarcasm/wit. I would like a report on Rich's performance! Good luck in the king of strokes.