PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated in Oklahoma

tulclark
January 17th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Ok I know this subject has probably been discussed many times in this forum, but I need some advice. The YMCA I swim at is classified as a multiple use pool, meaning they have water aerobics classes as well as lap swimming. There is a constant battle between the swimmers and the water aerobics people regarding the pool water temperature. In the winter, the pool temperature is 90F or higher. I feel sick after I swim. How do I get the management of the YMCA to listen to the swimmers and bring the water temperature down to something reasonable for both groups? The water aerobics people are mostly older people and I feel for them, but surely a pool temperature in the mid 80's would be better and healthier.
:frustrated: :frustrated:

dorothyrde
January 17th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Sorry, I think must people have lost this battle. Most YMCA's that have only one pool have the pool too warm for lapswimming. They go with the older people who need warmer temps, and the young kids who have lessons. We lose.

OpenWater
January 17th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Ditto. My YMCA was at 85 this morning. 90 seems a little beyond necessary. I'm told the pool is cooler by a few degrees at night...But I'm a morning swimmer.

This is a constant battle, but seems always to be won by the elders who like comfort vs. training comfort...:frustrated:

Muppet
January 17th, 2007, 11:15 AM
90 Degrees? UGH! That is just plain disgusting no matter how you look at that. 85-87 is warm enough for the water buffalo. 90 is borderline bathwater slash hottub. I think a compromise needs to be made by all parties. You want it at 80. The WB at 90. 85 sounds just perfect.

I bet the air in there isn't cool by any stretch of the imagination either. The WB should be able to survive just fine with 85 and the warm air.

FIGHT ON!! :frustrated: :dedhorse: :mad:

okoban
January 18th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Paul, I understand your situation very well. I changed my swimming club because of this problem. If you can't find a cooler pool, maybe they might adjust the temp. during the day (cooler in early morning for lap swimmers, warm in late morning for older people, etc.) I hope you'll find a solution.

nkfrench
January 18th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I believe the Y near my house turns the heaters on at 6 am so it is "nice and warm" for the arthritis class; then they shut the heaters off after their class so it is "cooler" for the early morning swim team.

We also had problems with a cost-cutter at our swim team's pool who thought 75 was perfectly fine since he keeps his home air temps at 68. We finally persuaded him to at least bring it up to 78 and preferably 80. Our developmental groups were getting very cold since they spend much of their practice getting instruction rather than grinding out yardage, plus some are very scrawny with no insulation. The older kids were getting a lot more than the usual amount of toe cramps.