PDA

View Full Version : Noodler in the family

aquageek
January 17th, 2007, 11:50 AM
A close family member of mine recently sustained a series of pelvic fractures from an accident. As part of the PT, she has been doing vigorous water exercises and noodling classes. The results have been good. This must be karma, the curse of the anti-noodling I have been doing for years now.

scyfreestyler
January 17th, 2007, 12:12 PM
A close family member of mine recently sustained a series of pelvic fractures from an accident. As part of the PT, she has been doing vigorous water exercises and noodling classes. The results have been good. This must be karma, the curse of the anti-noodling I have been doing for years now.

Now that is comical (not the injury of course)..in an ironic sort of way! Hope the recovery goes well.

gull
January 17th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Don't be ashamed--it can happen in the best of families. Think of it as an alternate aquatic lifestyle.

The Fortress
January 17th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Don't be ashamed--it can happen in the best of families. Think of it as an alternate aquatic lifestyle.

It is quite ironic. Does this mean your anti-noodling days are over Geek? I hope all that vigorous noodling helps. Sounds like it is.

Hopefully, she won't gain weight and be forced to sue.

Since it's confession time, I have to admit that my son, upon contracting bursitis in his knee from too much running, used to submerge himself in our pool last summer with an "aqua-jogger." He'd do it for an hour at a time with no ipod. I thought he was nuts. Now, I threaten to tell his girlfriend about this episode when he gets out of line.

It looks like Lindsay is a noodler now too. Or at least not anti-noodling.

Allen Stark
January 17th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Geek,I am very sorry to hear about her injury. I hope she recovers quickly.

Caped Crusader
January 17th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Since it's confession time, I have to admit that my son, upon contracting bursitis in his knee from too much running, used to submerge himself in our pool last summer with an "aqua-jogger." He'd do it for an hour at a time with no ipod. I thought he was nuts. Now, I threaten to tell his girlfriend about this episode when he gets out of line.

I would not be caught dead in a aqua-jogger. I have heard tris say they work, but you have to draw the line somewhere. How could he do it for an entire hour and not drown from boredom?!

swim4me
January 17th, 2007, 06:07 PM
My husband had a stress fracture in his hip from too much running (he even ran on the broken hip for six weeks before he decided to see a doctor to see why it was hurting:dunno: , MEN :frustrated: ) After he got off the crutches, he used a tether on his legs, tied it to the side of our pool and would 'swim'. This way he got his cardio, but no stress on the hip (it was fractured on one side and the tether was tied to both legs). He has run two marathons since the broken hip, but is like pulling teeth (or getting him to see a doctor) to get him to swim with me.:shakeshead:

dorothyrde
January 17th, 2007, 07:01 PM

Oh Geek, the shame, the shame.......next thing you know, you will be browsing pool supply stores looking for the latest noodle colors.

FindingMyInnerFish
January 17th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I would not be caught dead in a aqua-jogger. I have heard tris say they work, but you have to draw the line somewhere. How could he do it for an entire hour and not drown from boredom?!

Before I go rambling on, Aquageek, I hope your family member soon recovers from her injury! Aquavests have been known to be good rehab tools, despite the bad name they get when used by ppl who are "water strolling."

While recovering from a running injury, I was using one of those devices for interval workouts (used time segments instead of distance, since the latter would be pathetic). ;) You can get a decent workout with them if that's your intent. My problem with the vest was that it required me to use the "water walking" lane in the pool, and to work my way around two women bobbing along side by side, barely moving, just gossping, their hair perfectly coiffed. They were totally oblivious to the idea that others might actually want to do a workout w/ a vest on.

One day, I was doing my workout, however, and much to my utter relief, there was another runner (I know this... like me, he was doing this start/stop thing w/ his sports watch and pushing the effort, then easing off, then pushing). We started kvetching to each other about our injuries as runners will, and I learned that he was a h.s. runner--so here I was 50something and had more in common and more to talk about with this high school kid than the women bobbing along chitchatting.

Swimming was my cooldown for these workouts.... I now don't use water vests when I do water workouts. Swimming seems to fill the bill just fine and saves me from irritated looks from ppl who don't see the workout possibilities of aquavests.

The Fortress
January 17th, 2007, 10:36 PM
One day, I was doing my workout, however, and much to my utter relief, there was another runner (I know this... like me, he was doing this start/stop thing w/ his sports watch and pushing the effort, then easing off, then pushing). We started kvetching to each other about our injuries as runners will, and I learned that he was a h.s. runner--so here I was 50something and had more in common and more to talk about with this high school kid than the women bobbing along chitchatting.

Swimming was my cooldown for these workouts.... I now don't use water vests when I do water workouts. Swimming seems to fill the bill just fine and saves me from irritated looks from ppl who don't see the workout possibilities of aquavests.

So well said! I believe my 14 year old son/runner used a "belt" not a "vest." He did not have to battle bobbers and chatters. He said that, while it was relatively easy, aqua-jogging still better simulated training for running than swimming. (He did intervals and fartlek stuff too.) Although he did say he felt the need to do a little swimming for the cardio after. It still looked weird from my back porch. I wish I had taken pictures to torture him with. I wonder if the high school coaches prescribe this activity? When I got my running injury, I just switched to swimming. (I still love to run though, just not as much. Loose ankles.) Uh, you sound like a pretty fit 50 something, especially with that ultra-runner boyfriend to keep you going.

FindingMyInnerFish
January 18th, 2007, 07:36 AM
So well said! I believe my 14 year old son/runner used a "belt" not a "vest." He did not have to battle bobbers and chatters. He said that, while it was relatively easy, aqua-jogging still better simulated training for running than swimming. (He did intervals and fartlek stuff too.) Although he did say he felt the need to do a little swimming for the cardio after. It still looked weird from my back porch. I wish I had taken pictures to torture him with. I wonder if the high school coaches prescribe this activity? When I got my running injury, I just switched to swimming. (I still love to run though, just not as much. Loose ankles.) Uh, you sound like a pretty fit 50 something, especially with that ultra-runner boyfriend to keep you going.

Thanks! I keep myself together somewhat... I run about 4-5x/wk (depends on how crazy work is!), swim 3x/wk, and again given work, I find I have to do two of the swims on Sat. and Sun.--longer ones--and then can squeeze in a one-hour swim on Wed. Got into swimming b/c I joined a masters' group out of curiosity... wasn't about to stop running, still continue to do that and race (half marathon in March, full marathon if all goes well in Nov.). I'd be rammy if I couldn't get in both the sports... and thank heaven for both b/c on a day when it's too busy for swimming, I can at least get the run in! And I'm getting injured far less frequently and recovering faster from runs b/c I swim. I think I'm still a kid at heart! :)

As for the aquarunning, the kid I talked to may have done a workout his coach gave him, but not sure. He seemed pretty self-motivated too. During my injury, a running coach set up water running workouts so I could stay fit during the recovery period.

Ultra running bf just turned sixty in December! He's reducing his ultra races, though... he says they break him down too much. But he's on a Boston Marathon streak and not likely to stop that any time soon! He's also a walking encyclopedia of running knowledge.

m2tall2
January 23rd, 2007, 07:44 PM
While I was swimming in college I would occasionally go to a water aerobics class. Because I really put myself into it, it was absolutely brutal and I could barely get out of the water afterwards.

As everyone here is aware, the thing that gives "noodling" the bad rap is the vast majority of it's participants don't understand that even though you're in the water, you still should try to get your heart rate up...at least a little. They sadly believe they are working out by floating their limbs through the water.

The thing that is so sad about the noodlers is it could be such a challenging workout if they wanted it to be.

There needs to be a differentiation between noodlers and actual non-swimming water fitness. We need a good catchy name for the non-swimming water fitness people...

I think secretly the majority of USMS swimmers have done water fitness successfully the way it was meant, especially when the open swim lap lanes are overcrowded.

Redbird Alum
January 23rd, 2007, 11:10 PM
There needs to be a differentiation between noodlers and actual non-swimming water fitness. We need a good catchy name for the non-swimming water fitness people...

At my pool, we call them the "bobbers" because they are either jumping up and down in the open areas creating chop, or they are walking up and down one of the lanes, yacking in a pack, creating chop.

I do have to say that sometimes just water walking can be beneficial. There is a gentlemen at my pool who has lost over 110 pounds walking laps twice a day. He also lifts light weights every other day. He started somewhere near 350 pounds.

The Fortress
January 23rd, 2007, 11:14 PM
I think secretly the majority of USMS swimmers have done water fitness successfully the way it was meant, especially when the open swim lap lanes are overcrowded.

Not me. No thanks. But kudos to anyone who gets their heart rate up or loses weight doing it. I hope it helps more people.

FlyQueen
January 23rd, 2007, 11:32 PM

I can't believe you admitting this in public. You should be ashamed and disown said family member immediately. You might need to enter the witness protection program ... I can't go in detail but I might be able to help you ....

In all seriousness, health is the most important thing. Whatever it takes to get someone back on their feet and healthier if fine by me. The noodlers at least have a leg up on the couch potatoes.

Peter Cruise
January 23rd, 2007, 11:39 PM
The noodlers who merely float and yak are the 'poodlers'...

poolraat
January 23rd, 2007, 11:51 PM
At my pool, we call them the "bobbers"....

Here, they are called "floating islands".

Muppet
January 24th, 2007, 09:27 AM
At my pool, we call them the "bobbers" because they are either jumping up and down in the open areas creating chop, or they are walking up and down one of the lanes, yacking in a pack, creating chop.

Here, they are called "floating islands".

Man, am I tempted to post a "man with no arms/no legs" joke... :banana:

geochuck
January 24th, 2007, 09:43 AM
The pool in Melaque must be next to the noodle factory. I have seen more noodlers here old men, old women, young men, young women and kids.

poolraat
January 24th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Man, am I tempted to post a "man with no arms/no legs" joke... :banana:

Is the answer "Bob"?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

laineybug
January 24th, 2007, 01:23 PM

:rofl:

lainey

swimr4life
January 24th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Geek, I'm so sorry about her injury. I hope she continues to get better. Thats a tough one. All kidding aside, the water is GREAT for injury/surgery recovery. I know after my shoulder surgery, I couldn't get anywhere with my pt until I started doing an adapted freestyle. I would stroke over the water with my good rt. arm and reach as far as I could underwater with my left arm. It REALLY helped more than anything I did!

Now, I HAVE to tease you.....Karma is hell isn't it? You need to join "NOODLER's ANONYMOUS" or NOODL-ANON" for support!

aquageek
January 24th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Finally someone with a good avatar. Don't change that one, EVER!!!!

Of course, she does actually work in the water and gets her hair wet so I can continue my tirades against the average coffee-bar noodle crowd.

The Fortress
January 24th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Of course, she does actually work in the water and gets her hair wet so I can continue my tirades against the average coffee-bar noodle crowd.

Thank god. I thought you were going soft for a minute. Especially after the avatar compliment to Beth (which I do of course realize had implicit insults in it as well).

aquageek
January 24th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Thank god. I thought you were going soft for a minute. Especially after the avatar compliment to Beth (which I do of course realize had implicit insults in it as well).

There were absolutely no insults in that at all. We are a Dawg family here. Wife and brother in law are UGA alums.

swimr4life
January 24th, 2007, 05:28 PM
There were absolutely no insults in that at all. We are a Dawg family here. Wife and brother in law are UGA alums.

YEAH! GOOOO DAWGS! Thanks Aquageek. I do love my Bulldogs and was so happy that I was able to change my avatar to something that I love!:woot:

poolraat
January 24th, 2007, 05:47 PM
YEAH! GOOOO DAWGS! Thanks Aquageek. I do love my Bulldogs and was so happy that I was able to change my avatar to something that I love!:woot:

And I thought that was a pic of the family pet. :joker:

Caped Crusader
January 24th, 2007, 05:54 PM
We are a DAWG family here. Wife and brother in law are UGA alums.

Dawgs are good. So are dogs. Poodlers suck. It would take a serious accident to get me on one of those.

I think there have been some very good avatars recently. I like Poolraat's signatures, but I'm not sure about that breaststroke avatar. The only good breaststroke avatar is FlyQueen's.

FlyQueen
January 24th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Dawgs are good. So are dogs. Poodlers suck. It would take a serious accident to get me on one of those.

I think there have been some very good avatars recently. I like Poolraat's signatures, but I'm not sure about that breaststroke avatars. The only good breaststroke avatar is FlyQueen's.

Thanks and I agree! I used to change the avatar daily but I love this one SO much I can't bear to take it off ...

poolraat
January 24th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I like Poolraat's signatures, but I'm not sure about that breaststroke avatar.

Go Pack!!!

Caped Crusader
January 24th, 2007, 06:16 PM
It's my daughter doing that wretched stroke that she loves so much.

It didn't really look like a guy. Glad to know she's not a poodler.

swimr4life
January 30th, 2007, 02:31 PM

Aquageek,
Thanks for the compliment on my avatar. I don't want to hurt your feelings but....your avatar creeps me out! :shakeshead: That is one wierd movie...shiver, uggh.. Please change it to your picture with Gull. Thats a much better picture.

aquageek
January 30th, 2007, 02:34 PM
As long as Cruise is still out there disparaging "North Carolingians" and the fact that Gull will certainly jump on that bandwagon when he moves back to Tejas, I'm not changing it.

swimr4life
January 30th, 2007, 02:56 PM
As long as Cruise is still out there disparaging "North Carolingians" and the fact that Gull will certainly jump on that bandwagon when he moves back to Tejas, I'm not changing it.

Tell them to "kiss your grits!". That's what I tell any Yankees that make fun of my Glorious South. If they hate it so much, how come so many of them have moved here and won't leave!:D

SwimStud
January 30th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Tell them to "kiss your grits!". That's what I tell any Yankees that make fun of my Glorious South. If they hate it so much, how come so many of them have moved here and won't leave!:D

The southern Belles? That would be my guess... :)

swimr4life
January 30th, 2007, 03:03 PM
It's actually a quote from an old television sitcom called Alice. There was a waitress from the South named Flo that said that whenever she got mad... I think it's a cute "southern belle" way to tell someone off. You know us Southern Belles....we can tell someone off with a smile on our face with our southern accents and they don't even realize it! Who, me mad...hunney hush!

SwimStud
January 30th, 2007, 03:15 PM
If you're going to be like that... scold at will ;)

Tee-hee

newmastersswimmer
January 30th, 2007, 03:15 PM
It's actually a quote from an old television sitcom called Alice. There was a waitress from the South named Flo that said that whenever she got mad... I think it's a cute "southern belle" way to tell someone off. You know us Southern Belles....we can tell someone off with a smile on our face with our southern accents and they don't even realize it! Who, me mad...hunney
hush posted by swimr4life

I remember that show.....Flo was great in that show! BTW Beth, I know you swim with Kristina and others in Atlanta....but I was just wondering if you also swam for the Georgia Bulldogs in college? It would not only explain the avatar, but also those super fast times of yours (like the 100 free for example).

Newmastersswimmer

The Fortress
January 30th, 2007, 03:16 PM
It's actually a quote from an old television sitcom called Alice. There was a waitress from the South named Flo that said that whenever she got mad... I think it's a cute "southern belle" way to tell someone off. You know us Southern Belles....we can tell someone off with a smile on our face with our southern accents and they don't even realize it! Who, me mad...hunney hush!

Beth:

You go girl! I like that .... "kiss my grits." I think I can use that too, since everyone tells me I'm from the south now. (I'm formerly a new England Yankee. I hope you won't hold that against me!) I agree on Geek's avatar. I like the Geek/Gull photo better. But it's too Nicey McNice for Geek to use on a daily basis.

Geek:

I thought Cruise said he was giving up all assaults and lard bombs on North Caroligians in his attempt to be pure and civil. I'm sure he'd give you a waiver.

swimr4life
January 30th, 2007, 03:24 PM
I remember that show.....Flo was great in that show! BTW Beth, I know you swim with Kristina and others in Atlanta....but I was just wondering if you also swam for the Georgia Bulldogs in college? It would not only explain the avatar, but also those super fast times of yours (like the 100 free for example).

Newmastersswimmer

Aww. Thank- you Newmastersswimmer. You made my day. Yes, I did swim for Georgia years ago- 1980-1982. (I transferred to the Medical College of Georgia for my Jr. and Sr. years to major in Nursing.) My first year at UGA was Jack Baurle's second year coaching. The team was not nearly as good as they are now! I think the best we did while I was there was a SEC championship and 10th in the nation. The S.E.C. womens swimming has come a LONG way since then and is truly a powerhouse conference with the UGA and Auburn women dominating the competition. I'm very proud!

swimr4life
January 30th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Beth:

You go girl! I like that .... "kiss my grits." I think I can use that too, since everyone tells me I'm from the south now. (I'm formerly a new England Yankee. I hope you won't hold that against me!) I agree on Geek's avatar. I like the Geek/Gull photo better. But it's too Nicey McNice for Geek to use on a daily basis.

Fortress,
That's ok that you are a Yankee. I will not hold it against you at all! ......as long as you don't make fun of my South! :) One of my best friends is also from New England! She is so cute....she has this New England accent and a Southern accent combined and it is so funny to hear her talk. Has that happened to you too?

The Fortress
January 30th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Fortress,
That's ok that you are a Yankee. I will not hold it against you at all! ......as long as you don't make fun of my South! :) One of my best friends is also from New England! She is so cute....she has this New England accent and a Southern accent combined and it is so funny to hear her talk. Has that happened to you too?

Never! I love those beaches, hunney! No normal person can actually have fun swimming in the ocean above the Mason-Dixon line! I even edited my profile for you. No vestiges of New England accent whatsoever even though I grew up with parents who never pronounced the letter R. That detour to MN accomplished that. Maybe a bit of y'all once in awhile, but generally neutral. But, now that I've got "kiss my grits" in my repetoire, I'm all set! :) Peace out, Dude.

I'll only make fun of butterfroggers. ;)

aquageek
January 30th, 2007, 04:45 PM
It would be my preference to never hear kiss my grits again in my lifetime. Since Alice was cancelled 20 years ago and was a horrible show, can we all just pretend that about 2 people outside of Hollywood actually use that expression.

However, grits are tasty.

newmastersswimmer
January 30th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Aww. Thank- you Newmastersswimmer. You made my day. Yes, I did swim for Georgia years ago- 1980-1982. (I transferred to the Medical College of Georgia for my Jr. and Sr. years to major in Nursing.) My first year at UGA was Jack Baurle's second year coaching. The team was not nearly as good as they are now! I think the best we did while I was there was a SEC championship and 10th in the nation. The S.E.C. womens swimming has come a LONG way since then and is truly a powerhouse conference with the UGA and Auburn women dominating the competition. I'm very proud!

posted by Swimr4life

Well that explains your fast times then. I'm glad to have made your day. Winning the SEC and getting 10th in the nation is nothing to sneeze at even if the lady bulldogs may be a little better now than when you swam for them. The SEC is such a tough tough conference!....I respect anyone who ever swam for an SEC school! You swimmers from Dynamo Masters in Atlanta are all sooo fast! Kristina is also amazing with her 5080 yards in an hour!....Yikes!!....thats a pace faster than 1:12 per hundred for just over 50 one hundreds straight....it almost makes me blow chow to just think about it! ..LOL!! I know you like the 100 free a lot....but do you also keep up with Kristina in long distance swims as well? (sorry if thats too personal a question...)

Newmastersswimmer

The Fortress
January 30th, 2007, 06:33 PM
It would be my preference to never hear kiss my grits again in my lifetime. Since Alice was cancelled 20 years ago and was a horrible show, can we all just pretend that about 2 people outside of Hollywood actually use that expression.

However, grits are tasty.

First time for everything for a newbie southerner.

Kiss my grits, geek.

swimr4life
January 30th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Hi Geek....Kiss my Grits! :thhbbb:

SwimStud
January 30th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Geek,

Grease my kit!

Wait that's backwards I think.

:rofl:

newmastersswimmer
January 31st, 2007, 10:07 AM
Geek,

Grease my kit!

Wait that's backwards I think. posted by Blowfish

Hey Rich, I'm not sure how it works in England, but this is a PG-13 family oriented website here o.k. LOL!

Newmastersswimmer

SwimStud
January 31st, 2007, 10:12 AM
Geek,

Grease my kit!

Wait that's backwards I think. posted by Blowfish

Hey Rich, I'm not sure how it works in England, but this is a PG-13 family oriented website here o.k. LOL!

Newmastersswimmer

Guttermind!!
Colloquialisms
Kit in UK means atheltic uniform or apparel...

SO in asking him to grease my kit...I am thinking of making it easier to wiggle into my Jammers...

fanstone
January 31st, 2007, 07:15 PM
As sure as we will all die someday, a lot of us will someday cross over to the noodle part of the pool. Think of it: brain attack (vascular cerebral injury), torn vertebrae discs, torn any other part of your body, extreme old age, all these can take you from swimming lanes to doing hydrowhatever recovery. BUT this lady here http://www.usms.org/hist/sto/index.php?ID=15&srt= didn't give up and I have seen her personally swim twice. Out of the water she doesn't look so good, but in her medium she holds her own, at 92 years of age? My problem with the noodles isn't their presence using up two lanes, but the noise coming out of the sound system which the instructor likes to keep loud whereby we can't hear our coach's instructions.

fanstone
January 31st, 2007, 07:28 PM
This might be obvious but for some who don't know and for you Georgia people out there, Aquageek's avatar is of the movie "Deliverance" which I believe would be filmed or the story would be in North Georgia somewhere, the Cahulawassee River. My connection with Georgia, besides the obvious "all planes travelling through the South connect through Atlanta", I lived in Chattanooga, which has some of its suburbs in Georgia. billy fanstone (big fan of the movie and of the Dueling Banjos)

laineybug
January 31st, 2007, 10:21 PM
The Cahulawassee River is fictious. Some of Deliverance was filmed in Tullua Gorge. It has been a long time since I've been up in that part of GA, but I think the river that runs through the gorge is the Chattooga. The river has five IV-V class rapids.

http://gastateparks.org/info/Tallulah/

http://www.chattooga-river.net/whitewater.html