PDA

View Full Version : Is Swim Magazine sexist?

sftom
January 20th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Based on the covers of the official USMS magazine, "Swim," you'd think that swimming is a woman's sport. It seems like the cover always features women swimmers. Is this because covers with male swimmers don't sell magazines? Don't men deserve equal time in representing our sport?

SwimStud
January 20th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Don't men deserve equal time in representing our sport?

Yes but inside the covers ;)

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 20th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I think a lot of swimmers think the sport is sexy. But I think to onlookers it is rather boring once they get past seeing women in suits.

newmastersswimmer
January 20th, 2007, 06:32 PM
I personally find that male swimmers should try and avoid having pictures made of themselves since we obviously don't have the guns that other male athletes do.....For an example ....just check out my puny swimmer arms....its really embarressing to show y'all....but I just wanted to make my point more visual thats all....LOL!!

Newmastersswimmer

p.s. If only my arms were as muscular as rich's I might not be so embarressed about it.

Sydney
January 20th, 2007, 08:21 PM
It's obviously because of the general population's man-in-speedo-phobia.

Redbird Alum
January 20th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Based on the covers of the official USMS magazine, "Swim," you'd think that swimming is a woman's sport. It seems like the cover always features women swimmers.

I don't know the statistics, but perhaps there are actually more women swimmers in USMS?

Speedo Racer
January 20th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I think it is pretty evenly mixed, male and female...if you go back through the history of Swim and now USMS Swimmer.

Peter Cruise
January 21st, 2007, 02:04 AM
If you look at magazines in general, it is obvious that they they have many more (attractive) women in general on covers. If you look at our sport specifically, it is obvious that we have the most attractive women in the world in our sport. Therefore, the magazine merely typifies our society in general.

scyfreestyler
January 21st, 2007, 02:19 AM
Considering that this magazine is not sold on newsstands and that you must be a USMS member to get it, I don't think that marketing is very important. Having said that, I feel that generally speaking a photo of a woman swimmer is going to be more pleasing than a similar photo of a man...regardless of the viewers sex.

I do seem to remember a male swimmer or two on the cover in the recent past. Wasn't Goodel (spelling? sorry!) on the cover last year?

sftom
January 21st, 2007, 03:33 AM
I don't know if it's available on the newstand now, but I think it used to be sold at my local bookstore. It had a different name then, although I can't for the life of me remember it now. I'll have to check for it again.

Speedo Racer
January 21st, 2007, 02:40 PM
I'm probably showing what a dork I am, but this one got me interested, so I got out the old magazines and did some research...yes, I'm one of the weirdos who happens to keep them. Some I am missing, but from '01 on we have

Swim Magazine:
march/april: male
may/june: female
july/aug: male
sept/oct: female
nov/dec: female
jan/feb: female
mar/april: female
may/june: female
july/aug: male
nov/dec: male
may/jun: male
july/aug: female
sept/oct: male
mar/april: male
may/june: male
july/aug: female
nov/dec: male

jan/feb: male

magazine changes to USMS Swimmer

march/april: male
may/june: male & female
july/august: male
jan/feb: male
march/april: female
may/june: males
july/august: female

So, going back 6 years we have:
16 male
17 female
1 both

my sister was right, i'm a weirdo

scyfreestyler
January 21st, 2007, 02:43 PM
You might be a weirdo but you have pretty much put an end to the quibbling in this thread!

No worries, I used to save my magazines as well.

SwimStud
January 21st, 2007, 03:52 PM
So, going back 6 years we have:
16 male
17 female
1 both

*ponders the meaning of both*

mattson
January 22nd, 2007, 05:07 AM
*ponders the meaning of both*

You should watch "Never Too Young to Die". (Or maybe not, it is that bad. But you get a decent group in the right frame of mind, your running commentary on the film will make it entertaining. :banana: ) The main character is played by Gene Simmons (KISS fame), called "Ragnar the hermaphrodite; half-man half-woman".

FBI agent:"But I thought he died years ago!"