PDA

View Full Version : I've met my match...and come out knowing im not invincible

blainesapprentice
January 22nd, 2007, 07:52 PM
Last Thursday, during a dryland practice I completely wrecked my back:shakeshead:. I never figured at the age of 20 I would be saying something along those lines, but I suppose I have now come to terms with the fact that I am not invincible. It was so out of the blue too, we were doing streamline jumps on a good solid floor, something we have done every other day for the past two years, and I just tweaked an intercostal muscle just right, and collapsed to the floor in pain. At first, I thought it was just gonna be a momentary muscle spasmy thing, but nope it last all thursday, all Friday and started showing signs of improvement on Saturday. Today its about 85% better, I got in last night and swam 4000 yards, and today we did 4,500 in the morning and another 3,00 or so at night, and I was able to complete most everything, although I had to get out early tonight, because I knew if I pushed it any further it would become excruciating again. But, in any event, I got left behind this weekend as my team went to a dual meet. I certainly was in no shape to swim, but I was still upset, because it was such an important dual meet, and we lost, and I know if I had been able to swim we would have won. It's frustrating, but we are only a few short weeks away from championships, and we will be starting taper this coming week, so I had to think of that.

But seriously, those intelect tens--the portable stim. machines are awesome. My athletic trainer gave me one to use throughout the day while this muscle pull and slight tear is healing, and it really has done wonders. :applaud:

Well, you know, just another rambling post by me.

Morgan

rtodd
January 22nd, 2007, 08:18 PM
I can feel your pain!

My experience has been that my back healed quickly when I was young but as I got older.......not as quickly.

Plyo's are good when done correctly, but be sure not to do anything that will cause too much compression on the back. Many times my back gave me a small signal that something more severe was on the horizon. When I learned to listen to this I was alot better off. It usually just ment changing the drill or excersize, or knocking off for the day.

Take care of that back and it will take care of you. That is a long term suggestion.

ensignada
January 22nd, 2007, 08:37 PM
It's been a long time since I felt invincible, but I remember I once did. I hope you heal quickly.

The Fortress
January 22nd, 2007, 11:27 PM
I never figured at the age of 20 I would be saying something along those lines, but I suppose I have now come to terms with the fact that I am not invincible.

But seriously, those intelect tens--the portable stim. machines are awesome. My athletic trainer gave me one to use throughout the day while this muscle pull and slight tear is healing, and it really has done wonders. :applaud:

Morgan:

We like all your posts, rambling or otherwise. I'm so sorry you had to miss your meet.

Everyone is invicible. I retired from swimming at 20. I think. It's hard to recall. I had a little shoulder problem and decided to study in college instead after the "tear."

Have you seen a doc? Had an MRI? Do you have an actual tear? You might need a steroid pack to help the swelling go down.

Do you have a TENS or EMS portable? Wondering what the difference is. Glad it's helping. I hope you feel better. It sucks to have a random injury. I guess you can start your sprinter taper early. Since your coach is a distance geek, maybe that's good. Feel better!

newmastersswimmer
January 23rd, 2007, 12:30 PM
Sorry to hear about all of that blainesapprentice. Keep pushing through it though...I wish you the best.

And please always feel free to post about anything you want...your posts can never be more rambling than mine (or many other of us posters here too).

Newmastersswimmer