PDA

View Full Version : Whining - Comparing Aches and Pains

TheGoodSmith
January 23rd, 2007, 10:16 AM
I propose a thread honoring old age in which each person lists their current physical ailments and general excuses that prevent them from beating people like Paul Smith and Rich Saeger.

I will lead with a growing list of my own.

1. Shoulder pain
2. Heart palpatations
3. High cholesterol
4. Left hip stress fracture
5. Lower back pain (from shoveling snow!)
6. Wife and 3 kids.

Perhaps we can give an award to the winner and the biggest whiner at the end of this thread.

John Smith

Allen Stark
January 23rd, 2007, 10:54 AM
Ohhhhhhhhh,I don't know of it's a good idea to get us started.Remember the Masters Swimming slogan "if you wake up and it doesn't hurt,you died." I am feeling sorry for myself and my kicking only sets so here goes:
Sprained rotator cuff,
dislocated right index finger(new injury,also done working in the snow)
bulging disk L4-5
chronic "breaststroker's Knee"(yes that is a real diagnosis)
John-left hip stress fracture,ouch that seems to trump my ailments. I am so sorry:(

meldyck
January 23rd, 2007, 11:41 AM
I'm 65, going on 17. I USED to have problems in both shoulders and one knee due to nagging soccer injuries. Now, thanks to careful swimming, weight training, walking and cross-country skiing, I have NO injuries whatsoever and (much to John's chagrin) train over 600 hours per year. That is, I'm a master's athlete who doesn't have a real life (and wouldn't trade it for all the CEO salaries on the planet).

By the way, my wife just passed 700 hours of training in 2006 and she's a bit older than I am. Neither one of our 30 something kids can keep up with us.

Hope I didn't just jinx myself...

-- mel

Paul Smith
January 23rd, 2007, 11:54 AM
Geez......here we go again.....evil one has aged up so we're going head to head again.....and already he's making exuses!! JS.....I've changed my mind and will now go back and train for the 50....your "sacred cow" so to speak....instead of the 500....now you need to show up in Seattle! :lolup:

And by the way....I just tore my meniscus two weeks ago so don't complain to me!

Mel.....you are barred from this discussion....leave us with your pathetic healthfullness!

TheGoodSmith
January 23rd, 2007, 11:59 AM
Evil one,

You tore your meniscus and you think that all out strenuous 50 free sprinting will be a good thing.

hmmmmm.......

Is this UCSB division II school logic?

John Smith

newmastersswimmer
January 23rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
I'm 65 pounds over weight (meaning I was 65 pounds lighter the last time I swam in a USMS competition which was SCY Nats in 2005) ....I don't know how it happened exactly....it was kinda like that gum chewing girl, Violet from Willie Wonka when she chewed the wrong gum....overnight I blew up into a giant dodgeball with a head, arms, and legs attached (only its not purple thank God...LOL!!). I have been swimming 3 times a week for a couple of months now and I haven't lost a single pound....I'm starting to think that I am actually going to have to ....wait a second this is a hard word to say....gulp..."diet" or something. There I said it.

Oh yaeh, I have a bum knee as well....and a wife with one kid (does that last one count?)

Newmastersswimmer

Leonard Jansen
January 23rd, 2007, 12:37 PM
About 5 weeks ago, one of the horses tried to (literally) kill me. She used her whole body (1200 lbs) to knock me down twice and then dragged me when my hand became tangled in the lead line. As part of the dragging, she pulled me over a small wooden bridge the wrong way. Net result: Injured elbow, injured shoulder, injured ankle, lots of bruises, sore back, hurt pride. Ankle was FINALLY healing, but I slipped on a ladder last night while putting up some wiring in the barn; now it hurts again.

Oh yes, I'm ugly, too.

-LBJ

The Fortress
January 23rd, 2007, 12:57 PM
I propose a thread honoring old age in which each person lists their current physical ailments and general excuses that prevent them from beating people like ... Lisa Dahl and Andrea Block and Vibeke Swanson ...

TOP 10:

1. Shoulder pain (rehabing frayed labrum/tendonosis)
2. Sinus/allergy issues, although licked the multiple sinus infections
3. Sore right elbow, no idea why
4. Dry eye, exacerbated by chlorine
5. Height problem, too short
6. Partial fin addiction caused by #1
7. Inability to do breaststroke even reasonably servicably
8. Coach who suffers from #7
9. Team pool difficult to get to in rush hour
10. Frequent time-consuming jaunts to the salon to eradicate
encroaching gray hairs and stay blond.

... and

11. Husband and 3 kids

:dedhorse: :drink:

I hope everyone gets better!

USMSarah
January 23rd, 2007, 01:33 PM
"if you wake up and it doesn't hurt, you died."

LOL.

I so needed this thread... Mine are:
-Lower back pain from previous injury and lifting my 1 year old around.
-Shoulder pain from injury in college (but doing MUCH better lately).
-I keep getting a terrible cold every few days since the New Year (woke up to the flu New Years Day).
-Last week I pulled a butt muscle doing pilates, it REALLY REALLY hurts - I must look ridiculous when I have to massage it. HA HA!

poolraat
January 23rd, 2007, 02:03 PM
I guess I'll join in the whining too.

1. Achy shoulder. But only in the middle of the night when I'm trying to
sleep.
2. No coach.
3. No team.
4. Pool is too cold. Water is okay but the building is like an icebox.
5. Job takes up too much time.
6. Wife and kids take up too much time.

SwimStud
January 23rd, 2007, 02:13 PM
I guess I'll join in the whining too.

6. Wife and kids take up too much time.

I'm sure you don't mind this...you're just saying it prevents you training...:cool:

Caped Crusader
January 23rd, 2007, 02:29 PM
I'm sure you don't mind this...you're just saying it prevents you training...:cool:

I'm sure that's all he's saying. I've heard swimming is good for sex, which is not my complaint. Mine are:

1. Sore hamstring.
2. Bad cold.
3. Too much cancer on my side of the family.
4. Parents who are not like Mel Dyck.
5. Too many kids in too many different schools all wanting their own computers.
6. Too much work.
7. Not enough vacation.
8. Worried about losing hair.

poolraat
January 23rd, 2007, 02:33 PM

Right. And racing. More than once I've missed a workout or a meet because of their swimming, basketball and soccer.
Oh well. What can one do?:frustrated:

Kimberlie Streed
January 23rd, 2007, 02:36 PM
Love the wine, oops I mean whine -- received the "Cheese & Crackers" award (to go with my whine) from my coaches after State meet 2005 of course, I didn't think I deserved it. I thought "Most Spirited While Injured Master Swimmer Award" would have been more appropriate.

Fell down on ice in the parking lot at my 2nd master swim meet Feb. 2005 -- more than 27 years since last time I swam -- hurt a lot, swam anyway and continued swimming until after state meet and I couldn't stand the pain anymore, saw surgeon who went in to fix everything.

I am about fully recovered from that RC/Labrum (5 anchors in left shoulder) surgery 2005 and I am finally about 95% recovered from right shoulder bursitis/tendonitis, which became horrible while I was recovering from the left shoulder injury. While working on the right shoulder, out of the pool because I cannot make myself do kick/breastroke workouts only. I was diagnosed w/thyroide disease last spring; surgery followed, pathology revealed it was cancer. Spent my spring & early summer focused on continued PT for my right shoulder, thyroid surgery in August, more PT thru Sept.-- shoulder no better-- so got back in the water this past Oct. to do whatever I can, kick/breastroke again. Neck muscles & continued right shoulder bursitis/tendonitis problems brought me into a chiropractors office in Oct. WHO HAS NOW ALMOST COMPLETELY HEALED my right shoulder, he continues to work on my neck but has me in the water swimming with two really good feeling shoulders. I am finally hopeful for full recover for both shoulders. I swam the first meet of the season this past Sunday and felt really good!!!!! Further tests last month determine I need completion thyroidectomy (surgery). Doc. wanted to do in Feb.-YES, during master swim season, but went along with postponing it until early May, after state meet. A couple of other arthritis-disease related stuff but who cares if I am able to again complete swim practices & compete in meets with the great team I'm part of. I can't tell you how psyched I am to be swimming again. 2007 goals, lower times a little, complete 200 miles participating in the Go The Distance Event -- 2008 goals, drop my times a LOT, love practicing hard & long, swim every meet and go to Austin for nationals. Hope to meet some of you people there!

swimr4life
January 23rd, 2007, 03:10 PM
Would you like some cheese? ( to go with your whine?)

Oh boy can I relate to this thread....waaa waaa

1) I'm currently going through PT for my right neck/shoulder/back. It still hurts despite not swimming much and doing PT!:frustrated:

2)Dr. says my neck/shoulder/back pain is exacerbated by stress. That doesn't seem like it is going away! a) My daughter has a softball sized cyst/mass on her left ovary. I took her to have a CT scan today. I'm waiting on the results as I type! The doctor said she probably will need surgery. b)My husband has skin cancer on his face and had it removed this morning. He is so swollen and his eye is almost swollen shut! c)My mom had another bad fall and is very weak due to chronic pain and heart disease. It's really hard to watch her health go down. d)My dad won't take care of himself either!

3)I have terrible heart palpitations off and on for about 3 years that are really irritating despite the doctor telling me they are "normal". My heart feels like it literally stops then beats real hard and fast. I've had an ultrasound and EKG and they are all ok.

4) Insomnia and fatigue - see #1 - 3 and you'll see why!

5)I miss swimming - it is what helps me deal with #1-4.

Phew.....I feel a little better now. WAAAA:shakeshead:
Whinner's Anonymous

SwimStud
January 23rd, 2007, 03:23 PM

1) I'm currently going through PT for my right neck/shoulder/back. It still hurts despite not swimming much and doing PT!:frustrated:

2)Dr. says my neck/shoulder/back pain is exacerbated by stress. That doesn't seem like it is going away! a) My daughter has a softball sized cyst/mass on her left ovary. I took her to have a CT scan today. I'm waiting on the results as I type! The doctor said she probably will need surgery. b)My husband has skin cancer on his face and had it removed this morning. He is so swollen and his eye is almost swollen shut! c)My mom had another bad fall and is very weak due to chronic pain and heart disease. It's really hard to watch her health go down. d)My dad won't take care of himself either!

3)I have terrible heart palpitations off and on for about 3 years that are really irritating despite the doctor telling me they are "normal". My heart feels like it literally stops then beats real hard and fast. I've had an ultrasound and EKG and they are all ok.

Phew.....I feel a little better now. WAAAA:shakeshead:
Whinner's Anonymous

Oh Beth...that's a lot to deal with.:hug: just keep focused on the fact that you'll get back in the water...a little something good to look forward to!

The Fortress
January 23rd, 2007, 03:35 PM

1) I'm currently going through PT for my right neck/shoulder/back. It still hurts despite not swimming much and doing PT!

Phew.....I feel a little better now. WAAAA
Whinner's Anonymous

Beth:

You deserve a lot of these :smooch: :smooch: :smooch: :smooch: and these :hug: :hug: :hug: for all you've been through. And through it all, you are really, really not a whiner. You're very optimistic and showing grace and dignity. Maybe the palpitations are due to stress too?

I know you will eventually beat the shoulder doldrums and be back in the pool! You will. :lolup: Or we will just keep holding hands on our 50 fly with your good left shoulder and my good right shoulder. Lisa Dahl won't stand a chance. :rofl:

I hope your family gets better, and that your poor daughter is OK!!!! I too had a terrible bout of insomnia last year when my husband had a cancer scare, my sister had three surgeries for TOS and my mother had a breast cancer scare. Ugh. I'm still not the world's greatest sleeper, although I used to have a real talent for it when young. I guess if a painful shoulder is our worst problem, we should be grateful.

Speaking of shoulders, my daughter the breaststroker appears to have tendonitis in both shoulders. At least that's what her coach says. So we're going to the doctor tomorrow and I'm taking her to my ART guy and probably starting PT. She's very worried about the upcoming JOs and Zones ... I'm really pretty speechless and upset. I think it's probably due to a tremendous growth/maturity spurt this last year. She's been complaining of pain in her shoulders, knees and ankles. So I think her tendons can't keep up with the muscle/bone growth. (My son had a similar problem in his knee last year. Osgood schlatters.) At least I'm hoping that's what it is. I did see her using a thumb first entry on freestyle at the last meet a couple times. If her injuries are due to technique flaws, I am putting her on the next plane to New Paltz. No kidding. Argh.

Hang in there, twin!!! :wave:

swimr4life
January 23rd, 2007, 04:06 PM
Thank-you so much Fortress! I hope your daughter feels better very soon. Both of my daughters are breaststrokers!? I guess they got that gene from their Daddy! They both have had shoulder problems too! They got that loosey goosey shoulder gene from their Mama!

I can't wait til we both are healthy and can meet in person at Nationals! It will be so much fun!:applaud:

poolraat
January 23rd, 2007, 04:07 PM

That is a lot to go through and can be very stressful.

My oldest daughter has had 2 surgeries in the past year to remove cancerous growths. We're praying that it's gone. She's too young for this.

My wife and other daughter were in a car accident last spring and are still working towards recovery. My daughter just had surgery to repair damage in her wrist and during spring break will have knee surgery to repair a torn ACL.

These things can be very stressful and the stress affects every other aspect of our lives.

Beth, I wish you the best.

swimr4life
January 23rd, 2007, 04:12 PM
That is a lot to go through and can be very stressful.

My oldest daughter has had 2 surgeries in the past year to remove cancerous growths. We're praying that it's gone. She's too young for this.

My wife and other daughter were in a car accident last spring and are still working towards recovery. My daughter just had surgery to repair damage in her wrist and during spring break will have knee surgery to repair a torn ACL.

These things can be very stressful and the stress affects every other aspect of our lives.

Beth, I wish you the best.

Thanks so much for your kindness! I won't lie and say I'm not scared for my daughter. She too is way too young for this....only 15. Hopefully it is a benign cyst. I hope your daughter is doing well. It sounds like you've had a rough past year too. Take care of yourself and your family!

Peter Cruise
January 23rd, 2007, 07:52 PM
About 8 years ago my daughter was kicked 3 times by a horse. Once to the heart, once to the shoulder & the one that launched her 14 feet in the air that was a direct connect to the temple. My wife and I were less than a moment away when one of her shrieking friends ran to tell us that Danyel was unconcious on the road. Shortly she was helicoptered to Vancouver as she had subdural hematoma and irregular heart beat. For awhile there the issue was in doubt, then they were talking brain damage, behavior change etc. She now goes to university (A student) and is in perfect health.

After that year I realized that my medical issues matter not, it is your kids that matter most. All through this year, which has been difficult, I look at her smiling face and say to everyone "Hey, it's not so bad, could be a lot worse."

It helps.

meldyck
January 23rd, 2007, 08:42 PM
Good grief, Peter, what a story! Glad to hear a happy ending.

Anyhow, I hope we'll see you in Federal Way this May, fighting your way through that NASTY 200 BR. Maybe we'll be in the same heat. Hmmm. I guess I'd have to get an age-change operation for that.

-- mel

~Wren~
January 23rd, 2007, 09:28 PM
Wow, just wow. Hugs to everyone. :)

Y'all make my complaints look like a cake walk. I'm still doing PT for my stupid hip and it doesn't seem to be helping at all. :frustrated: Mini-me takes up a ton of time I could use to swim, but I don't mind too much 'cuz she cute and fun. She's trying to stand now, so she looks a lot like this: :wiggle:

Yardbird
January 23rd, 2007, 10:01 PM
To Beth: I have a suggestion for your point #3 -- I had heart palpitations that I found very disconcerting and sought treatment for. I was also told that there was nothing wrong, but did receive a suggestion from a nurse that they could be caused by an electrolyte imbalance. She suggested drinking sports beverages (such as Gatorade) whenever I exercised. I did, and although it took several months, eventually the palpitations disappeared completely. Now when I talk about it, I say, "when I was having my heart attack..."

I always bring 8 - 12 oz's of Gatorade to practice and take small sips thoughout. At the end of practice, I finish off what's left.

As for your other points and to everyone else -- I wish you the best!

Kim

The Fortress
January 24th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Thank-you so much Fortress! I hope your daughter feels better very soon. Both of my daughters are breaststrokers!? I guess they got that gene from their Daddy! They both have had shoulder problems too! They got that loosey goosey shoulder gene from their Mama!

I can't wait til we both are healthy and can meet in person at Nationals! It will be so much fun!:applaud:

Beth:

The "loosey goosey" curse! It's good and bad at the same time. Shouldn't those little breaststrokers be getting "breastroker's knee" and not shoulder problems?! Although I guess it is called "swimmer's shoulder" ... Did your girls recover pretty quickly?

Let us know about your daughter. Very worried for you.

Twin.

CreamPuff
January 24th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Hi Beth!

I just hope to make you smile - or at least laugh at my poor poetry! I'm thinking of you and your family. :)

Ode to Beth McGee

Iím scared and Iím hesitant. I just have to pee.
Itís my first day of practice when I meet Ms. McGee

Her welcoming smile, kind gestures, and glee
Unlock Mastersí secrets with her skeleton key

I whine and I moan; claim the insanity plea
But she urges the team along to our highest degree

Her instinct; her kindness; her skill; ďjois de visĒ
Have gained her one more life devotee

No matter time passed or separation by sea
Sheís always a friend. Thatís her guarantee

Fast forward years later to a meet with entry fee
I encounter a small package of T.N.T

Eying the roster I see ď:53Ē
Why, who is this woman thatís faster than me?

Of course, itís none other than THE
Beth McGee

I glance at her strength, her stature, esprit
To top it all off sheís now age forty-three!

Weíre up on the block to swim 100 free
And just after the dive Iím back by her knee!

Iím left in her wake; a defeated Robert E. Lee
But her smile and hug are fully congratulatory

I hope Iíve convinced you. I think we agree
Thereís no one, but no one whoís like Beth McGee

Itís an honor to be an (extended) part of her family tree!

goggles
January 24th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Hi all, some horrific stories here. Best wishes to all

When recovering from surgery Doc gave me two choices, "get up and get on with life, or lie down and give up... your choice" sounds simple but worked for me.

But no matter how bad things got, I always had in my mind, at least I'm not watching one of my kids going through this.

The most valuable thing you possess is your health, mind it well

The Fortress
January 24th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Hi Beth!

I just hope to make you smile - or at least laugh at my poor poetry! I'm thinking of you and your family. :)

Ode to Beth McGee

That was a great poem, Kristina!! :banana:

I have never met Beth, although she's my twin. I hope to meet her soon. But not a single thing you said surprises me. She's a class act as well as a super speed demon. I think she must not only inspire your masters team, but provide inspiration and good role modeling for her high school team and her kids. Sounds like you have a really nice team.

On the whine note, I have bags under my eyes from not sleeping enough this week.

LBJ: Fred is not ugly.

swim4me
January 24th, 2007, 08:06 PM
None of the aches and pains that the majority of you poor souls suffer, but I was just Whining to my daughter that my coach wants to time me swimming 100 fly on Friday morning. (I can barely make it through a 50). Her response: "Can I come and watch?":rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The Fortress
January 24th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Teenagers suck. They are selfish. Mine just caused me to miss practice.

Donna
January 25th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I started back to swimming 3 years ago due to bad lower back pain caused by a broken tailbone. I was walking with a cane and could barely get out of the pool even with using the ladder. The first year I could not bend over enough to touch the block for starts let alone the pain of flip turns which I put up with.

The second year I could touch the block but my back was still stiff and locked up and still very painful, but much better than the first year.

This year I discovered Hyaluronic Acid, Noni and the WalkFit orthotics. Now I am almost pain free. I still lock up if I sit too long before an event so I have to do lots of warm ups and warm downs.

I can also relate to all those with the heart palpatations. Have not had this happen though since the second to last 50 of my 1650 at Nationals. Just slowed down alittle and got more air and then was able to crank up the pace again.

Donna

Muppet
January 25th, 2007, 11:11 PM

Could be worse... She could be causing you to be called "Grandma." :help:
Besides, you're starting your taper for nationals this week, remember?

swimr4life
January 25th, 2007, 11:38 PM
SwimStud, Fortress and She Man, I just read your posts and they definitely made me smile. Thanks so much for your kind words and encouragement. Kristina, your poem almost made me cry. You really made me feel very loved. :wiggle: I've been out of touch with the discussion board for a few days. It looks like I've missed a lot!

Based on her CT scan, Kristy's (my 15 year old) cyst is most likely a teratoma. That's good news!!!- 98% are benign! :banana: I hope and pray that they are right. On the advice of her doctor, she has an appointment with a gynecological oncologist Monday. After talking to my surgeon friends and being reassured that she would be fine to compete, I reluctantly agreed to let her swim in her hs county meet today!! I'm so glad I did! She actually did her best times on the 50 free, 100 free and 100 fly!!! She kind of stunk in the 100 breast - 3 seconds off. Considering the circumstances...having the equivalent of a softball inside her!....I was pretty darn proud of her!! I have to admit, I was a little scared she would hurt herself. She made finals in 3 events as a sophmore! I'm very proud. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for all the love and support. I love you man!

The Fortress
January 26th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Could be worse... She could be causing you to be called "Grandma." :help:
Besides, you're starting your taper for nationals this week, remember?

Muppet:

My teenager is a boy with a "girlfriend" who seems to have become a social butterfly... The rude one is only 12, going on 16.

If I am a "grandma" before any of my kids are a whole, whole, lot older, I will be an ogre. The word itself gives me hives. Besides, I'm way too young. I have a 6 year old too, you know!

I'm not tapering yet either. I'm still in the recovery phase. Unlike you hard training no kid youngins', I've never really had a good taper. I'm going to commence negotiations with the hubby over nationals though. I'm tempted to go to celebrate SeaGurl's birthday and meet all the cool posters. We'll see. I may need to meet my twin to give her a big hug and hold hands to swim the 50 fly with her (assuming she ages up) to the still competitive 45-49 group. So actual physical condition be damned! (No different than last year.)

:dedhorse: :banana:

Beth:

Thanks for responding. It sound like good news. I'm so glad! And I'm glad she swam well despite the softball. Sounds like she's a figher like her mom! I hope all the continued news is good. Please keep us posted so I don't fret. She sound like she's doing great!!! I hope you are too! I hope you get some sleep!

dorothyrde
January 26th, 2007, 06:25 AM
12 year old girls are *&%$**^!!! Mine is almost 14 and she has gotten so much better. Must be the daily beatings.

The sister that is two years older than me became a grandma in November. It is weird, but she had her kids when she was in her early 20's.

My aches and pains are nothing compared to what you all have, so this thread is making me thank my lucky stars.

CreamPuff
January 26th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Beth,

I'm so happy for you and for your daughter Kristy. Congratulations to her on her fantastic swims!! I'm amazed at how strong she is - mentally and physically.
Thank you for filling us in.

I love your cute little avatar. It makes me want to adopt a bulldog so that my little pug can have a friend. ;)

Glad you like the poem. You are very loved. Now you know why I was a science major and not an English major.

Hope to see you soon!

newmastersswimmer
January 26th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Holy Cow!! After reading S(he)-Mans most excellent poem about Beth I went and looked up her times...I almost fainted....We are the around the same age and she is every bit as fast as me...Yikes......I am not worthy :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: I am soooo glad to hear that your daughter is doing o.k. Beth I know first hand what waiting for test results like that is like....We had an emergency baptism for my son while he was in the NICU trying to recover from meningitis....lets just say the doctors were not very optimistic about him making it through that....and even if he did they told us he would likely come out blind or deaf from the extreme doses of intervenous vancomycin he was receiving to fight the infection. I would like to say that he is perfectly o.k. now....but even though he has severe brain damage, he has made some wonderful strides since then and he is the absolute joy of me and my wife's lives!!

And Peter, that story about your daughter's horse riding accident gave me chills....I am sooo glad to hear she is o.k. I remember when Neal had to take a life flight helicopter ride one day from here to Memphis because he was convulsing uncontrollably one day after we gave him his seizure meds....turns out the pharmacy accidently forgot to dilute his meds and he received the super concentrated version on accident....thank God he came out of that one o.k. too.

Newmastersswimmer

islandsox
January 26th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I'm going to make mine short because power is still up and running for the moment and so is this internet cafe, so I'd better get to it:

Age 59 now

Aches and Pains: see list below

full left knee replacement
previously broken right ankle
previously broken both wrists, forearms and hands (at same time)
torn SI joint; the 3rd cortizone injection finally helped
two left shoulder surgeries (1993, 1995) impingement and rotator
probably about 30 pounds overweight (totally my fault)

And today while swimming in the ocean in 4 foot seas, I got hit in the head by debris (a piece of lumber). Guess I'll have to start swimming with a helmet when the ocean is angry. But no damage done to this head that I know of, if I get goofy later on this evening, then I'll re-think the lumber in head incident.:rofl:

Donna

newmastersswimmer
January 26th, 2007, 03:45 PM
ouch Donna....You've had some pretty serious injuries. I can only begin to imagine how you broke both your wrists, forearms and hands at the same time.....things like parachute not opening come to mind. I am so glad that you are able to do all that long distance swimming now after suffering all those injuries...you must be one tough customer!

Newmastersswimmer

swim4me
January 26th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Based on her CT scan, Kristy's (my 15 year old) cyst is most likely a teratoma. That's good news!!!- 98% are benign! :banana:

Beth, I am so glad for you and your daughter. I'll keep you both in my prayers. :) I have a 17 year old Kristy. She has never seen anyone else spell their name the same as she does. I guess we are the only ones who know how to spell :rofl: . Good luck with her appointment on Monday.

Donna
January 26th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Beth,

Glad to hear the news. We'll still be praying for you both.

Donna

WPSWIMS
January 26th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Beth, I have been reading your posts. I have been thinking of you as you go through this difficult time. Kristina, your poem was great. Donna, I also enjoyed reading your posts and hoping you are doing well. If any of you want high altitude swimming, give me a call. I would love for you to join me at practice in Colorado and go skiing or hiking for a change of pace. Say hello to all my GAJA and Dyanmo friends. Hope to see you at Woodlands in August.

Ian
January 27th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I have a herniated cervical disk. Looking back over the past four years I think I can trace many of my other injuries to this condition. Physical therapy specializing in neck rehabilitation has helped greatly and saved me from surgery… On the non-injury side, I am thankful my knees don’t hurt in spite of racing breaststroke for over 30 years.

Muppet
January 27th, 2007, 12:40 PM
I propose a thread honoring old age in which each person lists their current physical ailments and general excuses that prevent them from beating people like Paul Smith and Rich Saeger.

I would like to weigh in on John's thread, but with a different spin... I am not old for one, but I have broken my right wrist (Oct 2004) and left wrist (July 2005). For anyone who was at LCM Nats 2005 Mission Viejo and saw some crazy guy swim with a full arm cast - that was me!!

For the different spin, I truly believe that these two injuries have helped me swim FASTER, thus enabling me to swim closer to the folks like Paul Smith, et. al. I definetely had a very intense post-injury drive to get back to where I was before. Swam with a cast for most of injury #1, and after 6 weeks of no swimming (except LCM Nats 05) for #2, I was back in doing a LOT of legwork until my cast came off 8 weeks later.

These setbacks became motivation. SCY nats 2005, I swam PBs in my 100, 200 and 500 free events (may have been some feminine motivation at that meet too); SCY nats 2006 swam PBs in 50 & 100 fly and 100 IM. Worlds was almost a redemption for Mission Viejo, and I swam PBs in everything and got a 13 second timedrop in the 400 that earned me my proudest achievement of a 10th place medal.

No injuries in '06, praying for none in '07, and another awesome nationals :-)

CreamPuff
January 27th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Beth, I have been reading your posts. I have been thinking of you as you go through this difficult time. Kristina, your poem was great. Donna, I also enjoyed reading your posts and hoping you are doing well. If any of you want high altitude swimming, give me a call. I would love for you to join me at practice in Colorado and go skiing or hiking for a change of pace. Say hello to all my GAJA and Dyanmo friends. Hope to see you at Woodlands in August.

Hi Winnie!

You are missed down here! Hope that you still will continue to visit us so that we can have our locker room chats. I hope that no additional GA swimmers decide to migrate up there to Colorado. ;) I'll be the only one left down here.
Does this mean I need to start campaigning to my husband about the benefits of snowboarding? :rofl: I will see you @ the Woodlands - if not sooner!

okoban
January 27th, 2007, 03:57 PM
1. Clicking right shoulder
2. No swimming mates (very slow seniors and too damn fast kids)
3. Very weak kicks
4. Two hours of driving plus 10 hours of work
5. Morning workouts: I can't live without coffee, I can't sleep before midnight, I have to wake up at 5:30 to complete my workout, but I can't sprint in the morning if I sleep less than 7 hours (I shall buy a baseball bat for my wife to hit my head at 22:30)
6. Night workouts: I can't come to pool before 8PM after work (waterpolo team in the pool) cannot swim at the back of the pool (20 meters)
7. Week-end workouts: I shall go to my parents or I shall join a birthday party, or I have to work, or we have guests to welcome, or my wife wants me to do something, or I have a back pain like today
Now I realize why I love swimming (we're Romeo and Juliet). It is obvious why I am excited when I go to the pool. Tomorrow it's Sunday. «A IRA (Still got the hope)

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 29th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I have had a colectomy. When I had the illeostomy bag, I still swam. I wore a t-shirt to help keep it in place. The bag would get really full of gas. But I had no pain. Now that everything is reconnected, when I flip from back to breast, I let out gas. It isn't painful but is it really cool. I do wonder about the people swimming behind me though. I wonder if the notice the escess bubbles?

I have a terrible pain in the left side of my neck. It is sometype of nerve damage that no doctor has said can be repaired. If I swim too much with out arternate breathing, the pain ins incredible. To me, it feels like some one has put a hot piece of metal in my neck. Then there are tingles down my right arm. It almost is as painful as having a colitis flare-up or getting a postasium IV.

mattson
January 29th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I propose a thread honoring old age in which each person lists their current physical ailments and general excuses that prevent them from beating people like ... Lisa Dahl and Andrea Block and Vibeke Swanson ...

I almost got Andrea Block in the 50 Fly at the Evanston meet, should've taken another stroke instead of the extended glide...

As for the Smiths and Saeger, I could say it is the extra 15 lbs around the middle, or that their current times are way better than my lifetime best. But I know the real reason is that I haven't had a nuclear reactor cybernetically implanted, like they did.

~Wren~
January 29th, 2007, 05:44 PM
My pain for this week is the closure of my lap pool. "You can swim laps across the end of the [88 degree] leisure pool," says the chirpy little hostess at the desk. :frustrated:

Off to find out lap swim times/$ at the community center . . .

The Fortress
January 29th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I almost got Andrea Block in the 50 Fly at the Evanston meet, should've taken another stroke instead of the extended glide...

As for the Smiths and Saeger, I could say it is the extra 15 lbs around the middle, or that their current times are way better than my lifetime best. But I know the real reason is that I haven't had a nuclear reactor cybernetically implanted, like they did.

I think I need the nuclear reactor cybernetically implanted chip too. I saw her results. She nipped me by .4. I'm blaming it on my former lack of SDKs.

The Smiths clearly have the chip, although at least they were polite enough to whine about something.

I'd now like to whine about the fact that there is a nasty 24 stomach virus being passed from one family member to the other. Everyone is acting and feeling nasty. Me included. 2 days of no swimming.

Wren:

I hope you find a pool so you can up with your cyber-challenge!

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 30th, 2007, 02:36 PM

Now let''s be grown up about this. the only person responsible for you is you.

The Fortress
January 30th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Now let''s be grown up about this. the only person responsible for you is you.

:rofl: I know. And I'm not selfish at all. :rofl:

But the only growed-up person responsible for my kids that evening was me. So me got tanked. It's OK. I went swimming the next morning and all weekend until the stomach virus hit. That was my teenager's fault too. Or maybe Gull's.

swim4me
January 30th, 2007, 06:23 PM
My coach in a moment of insanity has decided that I am actually a (gasp) butterflyer :rolleyes: . I have always been a breaststroker, placing in state my senior year in highschool. Before my current coach (and my first coach in 25 years), I had never in my life swam more than a 25 of butterfly (I can swim it if I don't have to breathe :rofl: ). Anyway, in his continued insanity, he has been having me swim lots (now remember 'lots' is relative as my mind is adverse to butterfly) of butterfly during practice (> 200 yards, though not all at one time).

Now for the Aches and Pains part, my shoulders are sore!!!:help: He said to stretch them, but I am not sure how. Any ideas? I am afraid of ending up with some of the shoulder ailments that I have seen posted here.

newmastersswimmer
January 30th, 2007, 06:43 PM
My coach in a moment of insanity has decided that I am actually a (gasp) butterflyer . I have always been a breaststroker, placing in state my senior year in highschool. Before my current coach (and my first coach in 25 years), I had never in my life swam more than a 25 of butterfly (I can swim it if I don't have to breathe ). Anyway, in his continued insanity, he has been having me swim lots (now remember 'lots' is relative as my mind is adverse to butterfly) of butterfly during practice (> 200 yards, though not all at one time). posted by Swim4me

Welcome aboard Kathy!! Did you get that Cruise, Allen, and Blowfish?!! We just turned another one!!....We are very happy to have our newest butterfly member Kathy!

Newmastersswimmer

swim4me
January 30th, 2007, 06:56 PM
posted by Swim4me

Welcome aboard Kathy!! Did you get that Cruise, Allen, and Blowfish?!! We just turned another one!!....We are very happy to have our newest butterfly member Kathy!

Newmastersswimmer

Thank you so much for the Welcome, however did you catch that my coach is insane!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The Fortress
January 30th, 2007, 08:01 PM
My coach in a moment of insanity has decided that I am actually a (gasp) butterflyer :rolleyes: . I have always been a breaststroker, placing in state my senior year in highschool. Before my current coach (and my first coach in 25 years), I had never in my life swam more than a 25 of butterfly (I can swim it if I don't have to breathe :rofl: ). Anyway, in his continued insanity, he has been having me swim lots (now remember 'lots' is relative as my mind is adverse to butterfly) of butterfly during practice (> 200 yards, though not all at one time).

Now for the Aches and Pains part, my shoulders are sore!!!:help: He said to stretch them, but I am not sure how. Any ideas? I am afraid of ending up with some of the shoulder ailments that I have seen posted here.

Glad you decided to become a complete short axis swimmer! :lolup: Now, you do know this is a bit of a pandora's box here? :rofl: Maybe it won't be if a certain someone doesn't come to this thread.

If your shoulders are sore, Kathy, stretching is not all you need to do. In fact, some stretching is counter-productive and can make it worse. When starting in on fly, you need to start up very slowly. You can't just go insane, especially if you are just learning the stroke. Recipe for disaster. In fact, if you are just learning, you may want to use fins for awhile to help get the body position right. (Another controversial issue. Sigh.) I would advocate doing a lot of fly drills to help with technique (chest press fly, caterpillar, one arm -- do some searches here). Because you gotta have good technique to go faster. ;) (But even if you do, your shoulders can still hurt.) Most importantly, you need to do some rotator cuff and scapular stabilizing exercises pronto! Without these itsy bitsy muscles being strong, your body can't do fly (or other stuff, for that matter; mine don't like distance free). Go to the following threads to get info on shoulders, learn about the shoulder problems many of us have had and get exercises to do:

"Who has shoulder problems?" (started by Kaizen)
"Are shoulder problems due solely to improper stroke mechanics?" (by me)
"Shoulder clicking" (by Wrybosome)
"Buchberger 12" (by Wrybosome)
"Swimming Theories" (to see the real :argue: )

Happy reading! Take care of those shoulders!!

SwimStud
January 30th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Maybe it won't be if a certain someone doesn't come to this thread.

I felt a disturbance in The Force, as if a million hair follicles cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced...

My coach in a moment of insanity has decided that I am actually a (gasp) butterflyer...Now for the Aches and Pains part, my shoulders are sore!!!:help: He said to stretch them, but I am not sure how. Any ideas? I am afraid of ending up with some of the shoulder ailments that I have seen posted here.

Kathy, You won't find any sympathy from me if you decide to follow his path. I will offer you one time only, a soothing shoulder massage and a pep talk, but you will have to swear off of fly and return to breaststroke.

;)

poolraat
January 30th, 2007, 08:56 PM
.......as if a million hair follicles cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced...

"Watch out for the clippers......."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The Fortress
January 30th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I felt a disturbance in The Force, as if a million hair follicles cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced...

No need for clippers or light sabers. This is not an improvement thread and only attracts whiners. The Force may remain undisturbed.

I would like to add the following threads -- just for you two clowns with sore shoulders. Here's a :hug: for your boo-boos.

"Shoulder injuries"
"Shoulder surgery"
"Shoulder question"
"Recovering from shoulder surgery, feeling crummy"
"Shoulder problem"
"Time to start full stroke swimming again"

Safe to say, technique alone will not save the day. I say that with the utmost confidence. I'm holding clippers. I can also always resort to some creative writing. I don't believe I've written a poem about shoulders yet. Those 10 x 200 flys I did may have fired me up.

Allen Stark
January 30th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Yesterday my shoulder seemed much better so I tried a little fullstroke breaststroke. That felt fine so of course I tried a little faster. I thought I didn't do too much and felt fine until I got up this morning. My shoulder was a little stiff,but the more I tried to loosen up the more it hurt.Back to kicking only for another week.:( :(

Muppet
January 31st, 2007, 01:08 PM

"Watch out for the clippers......."

No, I did not get a haircut today. Nor have I shaved.

swimr4life
January 31st, 2007, 06:33 PM
Based on her CT scan, Kristy's (my 15 year old) cyst is most likely a teratoma. That's good news!!!- 98% are benign! :banana: I hope and pray that they are right. On the advice of her doctor, she has an appointment with a gynecological oncologist Monday. After talking to my surgeon friends and being reassured that she would be fine to compete, I reluctantly agreed to let her swim in her hs county meet today!! I'm so glad I did! She actually did her best times on the 50 free, 100 free and 100 fly!!! She kind of stunk in the 100 breast - 3 seconds off. Considering the circumstances...having the equivalent of a softball inside her!....I was pretty darn proud of her!! I have to admit, I was a little scared she would hurt herself. She made finals in 3 events as a sophmore! I'm very proud. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for all the love and support. I love you man!

I need to whine! Bear with me and pass the cheese.

I never thought I would quote myself! I just wanted to tell you what has happened to my daughter since I posted this!

She swam in the County Championships and did great!!....especially considering everything she's got going on. She did her best time in 100 Fly, 100 free (relay) and bettered her time from prelims in the 100 Breast. We all went out to dinner to celebrate afterward. While we were at the restaraunt, she started having severe abdominal pain - more than it has been. She was doubled over. We took her to the emergency room where they did an ultrasound and when that was not clear enough they did a CT scan to rule out a torsion or a rupture of the cyst. We were there from 10:30 PM til 12:30 PM the next day! Luckily she was given good drugs and slept most of the time. We went to the gynecological oncologist Monday and scheduled her surgery for next Tuesday. He seems to think her cyst is canteloupe to honeydew sized!!!! No wonder she is miserable!

Kristy called me from school this morning in pain, nauseated and had a bad case of the hiccups. (Usually not a concern but she's had them off and on - mostly "on" since yesterday morning! Her diaphragm has too much pressure/irritation and that is what is causing the hiccups) I checked her out and called her doctor. Due to her discomfort and the pressure the cyst is putting on her abdominal organs, they have now moved her surgery to this Friday , Feb. 2nd.

Please say a prayer for my baby girl! I'll keep you posted.

newmastersswimmer
January 31st, 2007, 06:41 PM
I most certainly will keep her and your entire family in my thoughts and prayers ....Hang in there Beth....You guys are going to make through this thing o.k. We will all be waiting for your updates.

Newmastersswimmer

CreamPuff
January 31st, 2007, 06:45 PM
Beth,

I can't begin to imagine what you have had to endure over the past few days. Please know that you, Kristy and your family are continually in my thoughts and prayers. If there is anything I can do, please give me a call or email. Kristy is so fortunate to have you as her source of support and strength. I know you and Kristy will pull through this difficult time.

SwimStud
January 31st, 2007, 06:46 PM

I never thought I would quote myself! I just wanted to tell you what has happened to my daughter since I posted this!

She swam in the County Championships and did great!!....especially considering everything she's got going on. She did her best time in 100 Fly, 100 free (relay) and bettered her time from prelims in the 100 Breast. We all went out to dinner to celebrate afterward. While we were at the restaraunt, she started having severe abdominal pain - more than it has been. She was doubled over. We took her to the emergency room where they did an ultrasound and when that was not clear enough they did a CT scan to rule out a torsion or a rupture of the cyst. We were there from 10:30 PM til 12:30 PM the next day! Luckily she was given good drugs and slept most of the time. We went to the gynecological oncologist Monday and scheduled her surgery for next Tuesday. He seems to think her cyst is canteloupe to honeydew sized!!!! No wonder she is miserable!

Kristy called me from school this morning in pain, nauseated and had a bad case of the hiccups. (Usually not a concern but she's had them off and on - mostly "on" since yesterday morning! Her diaphragm has too much pressure/irritation and that is what is causing the hiccups) I checked her out and called her doctor. Due to her discomfort and the pressure the cyst is putting on her abdominal organs, they have now moved her surgery to this Friday , Feb. 2nd.

Oh Beth that has brought tears to my eyes. You'll be in my thoughts. You whine as much as you need.

poolraat
January 31st, 2007, 06:50 PM
Hang in there, Beth. Because of what's going on with my daughter, I know what you're going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

The Fortress
January 31st, 2007, 06:55 PM

I will! You can whine all you want. I can't believe you've been on line at all joking with us joksters and giving advice with this weighing on you! You're both amazing. I hope the surgery goes well and that Kristy makes a speedy recovery. She sounds like a true fighter! :hug: :hug: :hug: And she's got a loyal USMS cyber cheering section! Keep us posted so we don't fret!

Floyd:

I wish your daughter the best on her wrist/ACL recovery too!

poolraat
January 31st, 2007, 07:44 PM
I wish your daughter the best on her wrist/ACL recovery too!

Thanks Leslie,
She is doing fine. But we have to change docs now. Her ortho just got called to duty for a year in Iraq. My oldest daughter is fine too. She will be undergoing chemo after she heals from her surgery.

Peter Cruise
January 31st, 2007, 07:56 PM
Beth- our hearts are with you. I've got all my fingers and toes crossed for luck (which should make for an interesting workout tonight).

ensignada
January 31st, 2007, 08:17 PM
You and your daughter are in my prayers. I pray that the surgery goes well, that the cyst is benign and that your daughter will no longer be in pain.

swimr4life
January 31st, 2007, 11:41 PM
Thank-you for all your love and support for my daughter! You are the best. :smooch:

These type cysts can actually have skin, hair and teeth in them! Wild stuff. My husband was teasing her and asked her if she was missing a block of time...he says she was abducted by aliens and her cyst is her alien baby! (You know how we are in the South) ;) We're trying to keep her laughing and light-hearted. Comedy is the best medecine!:p

Poolrat, I hope both your daughters continue to heal - especially your daughter getting ready to go through chemo. Please feel free to "whine" anytime you need to.

SwimStud
January 31st, 2007, 11:52 PM
Thank-you for all your love and support for my daughter! You are the best. :smooch:

These type cysts can actually have skin, hair and teeth in them! Wild stuff. My husband was teasing her and asked her if she was missing a block of time...he says she was abducted by aliens and her cyst is her alien baby! (You know how we are in the South) ;) We're trying to keep her laughing and light-hearted. Comedy is the best medecine!:p

Poolrat, I hope both your daughters continue to heal - especially your daughter getting ready to go through chemo. Please feel free to "whine" anytime you need to.

Yeah Beth.. you have to laugh as much as you can right? It will be OK.

Rich

The Fortress
February 20th, 2007, 10:14 AM
I'm going back to whining now. TheGoodSmith would be proud.

I'm so sick of doing rotator cuff exercises I could barf.

Paul Smith
February 20th, 2007, 10:24 AM
The Goodsmith from now on shall be refered to as either "Charlie Brown" or as "Glum"........never before have I meet someone so capable of finding something to whine about! :dunno:

Fort......the only whine you and your "buddy" Jeff are allowed right now is about getting that wine glass topped off! :drink:

The Fortress
February 20th, 2007, 10:48 AM
The Goodsmith from now on shall be refered to as either "Charlie Brown" or as "Glum"........never before have I meet someone so capable of finding something to whine about! :dunno:

Fort......the only whine you and your "buddy" Jeff are allowed right now is about getting that wine glass topped off! :drink:

Sounds like someone needs their pinot noir or they will be Glum ... :rofl: Isn't one multiple personality on the forum enough?

Can't you even have the decency to whine about your knee? Or did you deviate from the Ande diet and dull the whine with some wine last night?

Paul Smith
February 20th, 2007, 11:08 AM
No I did not!

Your a cruel woman....wait.....are you another Geek persona?

poolraat
February 20th, 2007, 11:12 AM
I'm so sick of doing rotator cuff exercises I could barf.

Quit doing them. Then quit swimming and become a distance (blech) runner again.;)
:groovy:

Kimberlie Streed
February 20th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Even a better idea Fort, quit doing those rc exercises and become a breastroker, the better stroker!

SwimStud
February 20th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Even a better idea Fort, quit doing those rc exercises and become a breastroker, the better stroker!

HI 5 Kim...Oh yeah but film it. I want to pick on someone else's video now!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The Fortress
February 20th, 2007, 11:27 AM
No I did not!

Your a cruel woman....wait.....are you another Geek persona?

I am not a cruel woman .... I am sometimes an Ogre and bad poet. LOL.

I cannot be a Geek persona. I like to run. That pisses off Gull too. Far too NSR.

Maybe I'm really more like TheGoodSmith? No, that can't be. I heard he's friends with Geek IRL. I bet he's drinking that pinot though.

Kimberlie:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Besides, Allen has a shoulder problem and he's a fab breaststroker. I hope you're getting a little better Allen! I don't want you to be sentenced to kicking forever.

Kimberlie Streed
February 20th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Yep, I've quit whining about both of these aweful shoulders and have accepted that for the rest of this season it is breastroke all the way. No need to be punished with mostly kicking workouts; last night, about 1900 yds of awesome, fast breastroke; 100's, 75's, 50's and even 25's....kick, glide, stroke, again! Not racking up much yardage for "go the distance" but hopefully enough to make my minimum goal for the year -- 100 miles of breastroke. Lookin to next year to get the shoulders back accepting freestyle as a way of swimming!

The Fortress
April 12th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I don't get any friggin naps like that Jim Clemmons guy. Too many kids.

jim clemmons
April 12th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I don't get any friggin naps that like Jim Clemmons guy. Too many kids.

I do know that challenge. That's why sometimes I leave work to get one - while they're at school it's a lot easier to catch some :snore: !

jim clemmons
April 12th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Guess while I'm in the "whining" thread, I should whine about the two cats that occasionally disturb me while I'm trying to :snore:.

Peter Cruise
April 12th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Speaking of whining, where is the originator of this thread? We've missed his sharp observations; I know he had some medical issues, hope he is ok?

The Fortress
April 12th, 2007, 06:43 PM
I do know that challenge. That's why sometimes I leave work to get one - while they're at school it's a lot easier to catch some :snore: !

Well, this makes sense theoretically. But we have half day elementary school on Mondays and they're out at 3:15 the other days. If there is no school cancellation for a drop of snow or one of the ubiquitous school holidays. Plus, if one gets up at 7:00 or even 7:30, one doesn't want a nap until 4:00. That's when I start to drag. And that's when I'm overrun with children, homework, food demands, playdates, chauffeuring. I caught 30 minutes of :snore: between 6:00-6:30 just now. Ah. Now, I'm ordering dinner because my coach told me not to cook and Peter knows I am very obedient.

BTW, that GoodSmith fellow is very busy moving the 3 kids and 3 pets. I think he posted awhile ago that he was doing backstroke again?

islandsox
April 12th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I'd give anything to take a nap but like I said before, I am light sensitive; only can sleep if it is dark (must be a new disease not yet named).

I took today off from swimming because I could barely walk without limping. The reason: soreness and tightness in the legs (thighs and calves cramping) from yesterday's swim because of lack of hydration. Big, big problem for me and I do know now that Gatorade does not work. Ordered some products from Beth. Swim suit chafing for now is under control; a friend had a spandex top with spaghetti straps that are lambs wool. Perfect for now. I will do the Utila swim topless to make sure.

Legs are still blue and yellow though.

Slowswim
April 13th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Donna wrote: I'd give anything to take a nap but like I said before, I am light sensitive; only can sleep if it is dark (must be a new disease not yet named).

My years in the Army have taught me to sleep through anything! In vehicles going cross-country, airplanes getting shot at, people yelling and laughing in the same tent, soaking wet in a outside in torrential down pour (as long as no water runs down my neck), I especially love thunder storms/hurricanes when I'm at home. I even slept through a tornadoes (supposedly, by I guess it wasn't really that close, about 400m away)

Peter Cruise
April 22nd, 2007, 08:32 PM
My physical rehab from groin & back coming along ok, but still reluctant to really 'let 'er rip' on the breastroke kick, for the fear that it just might.

A bit of a whine though; my search for a decent job in the wake of closing the bookstore still yields little (Nanaimo's unemployment rate is twice the provincial average) and money very tight so have taken a ful-time graveyard shift at a department store stocking shelves (little more than minimum wage) to get some money flowing & still be available for interviews and my call-in job which pays twice as much, but not often. Only mentioning it 'cause I probably won't be on the forums much for awhile, so don't think I've disappeared or something. I trust the 'Attaboy' thread will be nurtured if I slip a bit in paying it the attention it deserves.

scyfreestyler
April 22nd, 2007, 08:45 PM
Best of luck finding some better employement Peter.

The Fortress
April 22nd, 2007, 08:51 PM
My physical rehab from groin & back coming along ok, but still reluctant to really 'let 'er rip' on the breastroke kick, for the fear that it just might.

A bit of a whine though; my search for a decent job in the wake of closing the bookstore still yields little (Nanaimo's unemployment rate is twice the provincial average) and money very tight so have taken a ful-time graveyard shift at a department store stocking shelves (little more than minimum wage) to get some money flowing & still be available for interviews and my call-in job which pays twice as much, but not often. Only mentioning it 'cause I probably won't be on the forums much for awhile, so don't think I've disappeared or something. I trust the 'Attaboy' thread will be nurtured if I slip a bit in paying it the attention it deserves.

No wonder you're a "cranky old crock." It's very hard to go from dream job to figuring out what to do next, Biblioman. Hang in there. Keep swimming and interviewing. The swimming will help keep you sane. It sounds like you are going to become a night owl/Dracula. Don't be too absent!! Keep up the good work on rehab and breaststroke. I'm sure we won't let your thread die! :smooch:

swimr4life
April 23rd, 2007, 09:23 AM
Peter, hang in there and take care of yourself! Night sift work is tough on your body. I used to have to work it when I worked as a nurse (7PM-7AM). I had a hard time sleeping during the day because my children were young and because of the light. That's the main reason I "retired" temporarily. I will be going back to nursing very soon now that my kids are older. Buy some room darkening shades and invest in some silicone earplugs.

Good luck finding a new job. My husband works in the labile electronics/telecommunications business so he has been through 2 layoffs. Each time he ended up getting a better job with better pay. Something better is out there waiting for you! Hang in there!

Slowswim
April 23rd, 2007, 09:31 AM
Friday had a MRI taken of my right shoulder. I get it read this afternoon. I am hoping it is not a torn Rotator Cuff.

Happened from a fall in February on some ice while running here in the frozen south!!

I have a 1500m OW swim on 5 May so my taper is coming soon. I just hope there isn't an operation right behind it!!

Wish me luck!!

swimr4life
April 23rd, 2007, 10:37 AM
Bill, try your best to avoid surgery! Shoulder surgery itself is not bad at all.....the physical therapy afterwards is hell though. Try to go the PT/antiinflammatories/ice/heat route first!

Slowswim
April 23rd, 2007, 10:54 AM
Bill, try your best to avoid surgery! Shoulder surgery itself is not bad at all.....the physical therapy afterwards is hell though. Try to go the PT/antiinflammatories/ice/heat route first!

I will do anything and everything to avoid "going under the knife" except stopping my training.

I'm just hoping that one day I can get good enough at swimming (or old enough) that I can show up at a Masters Swim Meet and swim something respectable.

The Fortress
April 23rd, 2007, 11:27 AM
I will do anything and everything to avoid "going under the knife" except stopping my training.

That's how I am too. Did you get an arthrogram or a regular MRI?

swimr4life
April 23rd, 2007, 12:08 PM

I felt the same way until I had the surgery.....now I'd rather take time off from training than go under the knife! I had to take 2 1/2 months off from Dec. to late February this year! It was very hard...I missed swimming so badly!... but my shoulders are doing great now!:groovy:

The Fortress
April 23rd, 2007, 12:16 PM
I felt the same way until I had the surgery.....now I'd rather take time off from training than go under the knife! I had to take 2 1/2 months off from Dec. to late February this year! It was very hard...I missed swimming so badly!... but my shoulders are doing great now!:groovy:

I'm so glad your shoulders are better! :groovy: Keep up those RCs! Good luck this weekend! I don't want surgery either!! Avoid if at all possible. But I hate to stop training or working out either. If I need a period of "relative rest," I usually cross train more. Or I do more restorative or drill based swimming.

I'm whiney today because I'm now on a "waking up early" tear. Early mornings do not agree with Draculinas.

SwimStud
April 23rd, 2007, 12:37 PM

I have one more meet...then I'm getting the doc to check out my knee and shoulder...not painful but not 100% right. Hopefully rest will be the treatment. I'd be stunned if anything is torn. I think I over did my RC exercises last week though and caused it to get grumpy.

swimr4life
April 23rd, 2007, 01:01 PM
I have one more meet...then I'm getting the doc to check out my knee and shoulder...not painful but not 100% right. Hopefully rest will be the treatment. I'd be stunned if anything is torn. I think I over did my RC exercises last week though and caused it to get grumpy.

Grumpy shoulders stink! I'm sorry.

SwimStud
April 23rd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Grumpy shoulders stink! I'm sorry.

Only feel it when I do crawl and reach out with left and breathe...as soon as my weight hits it I feel it. but could be over use from Zones then too much on the RC work.

If it hurts again tonight I'll just kick set 1000yards AGAIN

swimr4life
April 23rd, 2007, 01:09 PM
I'm so glad your shoulders are better! :groovy: Keep up those RCs! Good luck this weekend! I don't want surgery either!! Avoid if at all possible. But I hate to stop training or working out either. If I need a period of "relative rest," I usually cross train more. Or I do more restorative or drill based swimming.

I'm whiney today because I'm now on a "waking up early" tear. Early mornings do not agree with Draculinas.

Thanks Fort! I'm starting to get excited/nervous! This will be my last chance to swim short course. I'm hoping to improve on my last meet's times - especially my 200 free. I'm swimming less events this meet so hopefully, that will help! I'm actually doing (if I don't chicken out) 50 back!:rofl: ...not my best event at all. I'm soooo slow. I practiced a start this morning and it felt so wierd!...like I hit the water and STOPPED! :lolup: But heah...its only a 50! Hopefully I can SDK well off the turn to make up some for my start! :banana: I can check it off on my Tour de pool shirt! I'm concentrating on 50, 100 and 200 free and my 100 IM. ....butterflies just thinking about it!

I'm starting to think we truly are twins! I'm waking early too. I finally decided to just go to morning practice since I was awake! It felt good. I just hope I can start going to sleep earlier!:snore:

The Fortress
April 23rd, 2007, 01:51 PM
Thanks Fort! I'm starting to get excited/nervous! This will be my last chance to swim short course. I'm hoping to improve on my last meet's times - especially my 200 free. I'm swimming less events this meet so hopefully, that will help! I'm actually doing (if I don't chicken out) 50 back!:rofl: ...not my best event at all. I'm soooo slow. I practiced a start this morning and it felt so wierd!...like I hit the water and STOPPED! :lolup: But heah...its only a 50! Hopefully I can SDK well off the turn to make up some for my start! :banana: I can check it off on my Tour de pool shirt! I'm concentrating on 50, 100 and 200 free and my 100 IM. ....butterflies just thinking about it!

Dearest sleep deprived twin Draculina:

That sounds like a good plan. You don't need to be doing all that breaststroke anyway!. :joker: I'm sure you'll do great, although you were pretty smoking fast last time IMHO!!! What about that one second on the 200 IM you needed?!

I usually love the 100 IM. But, just to stay on topic, I really hated it my last meet. Dove in and got a calf cramp right away. That made it unfun. But there's always next time. Go get 'em! (And remember you can still swim fast when sleep deprived!)

BabsVa
April 23rd, 2007, 04:04 PM
Oooh I love to complain.

Got frozen collards on my left shoulder: frozen yellow corn on my right. Swim today was great but after that and then mowing the lawn I am attempting to lessen the inevitable shoulder ouch.

Oh, and the triathletes sharing the next lane keep glaring at me. Sorrrr-rrrreee! for being is your space, sheesh.http://forums.usms.org/images/smilies/thhbbb.gif

BabsVa
April 23rd, 2007, 04:06 PM
Oooh I love to complain.

Got frozen collards on my left shoulder: frozen yellow corn on my right. Swim today was great but after that and then mowing the lawn I am attempting to lessen the inevitable shoulder ouch.

Oh, and the triathletes sharing the lane keep glaring at me. Sorrrr-rrrreee! for being in your space, sheesh. :thhbbb:

Allen Stark
April 23rd, 2007, 04:38 PM
I swam Zones this past weekend. It was the first time I was able to do a strong breaststroke pull. and that went OK.Unfortunately I couldn't ever get my timing right in the 100 on the first day. I tried fly and it hurt. Ever try to swim a 50 fly without pulling. Even Butterfrog it doesn't work. I finished 8 out of 8 in my age group. Second day I did a long warmup and started to get my timing right. I was feeling good and my shoulder was fine for breaststroke and then I pulled my groin again(It had been twitchy for 3 week but was OK day one.)I swam the 200 breaststroke and the 50 and a relay concentrating on keeping my knees together to not strain my groin. It was effective,if distracting but at least I could swim.(I had to scratch the 200 fly though,SOB:rofl: .)

SwimStud
April 23rd, 2007, 09:40 PM
I swam Zones this past weekend. It was the first time I was able to do a strong breaststroke pull. and that went OK.Unfortunately I couldn't ever get my timing right in the 100 on the first day. I tried fly and it hurt. Ever try to swim a 50 fly without pulling. Even Butterfrog it doesn't work. I finished 8 out of 8 in my age group. Second day I did a long warmup and started to get my timing right. I was feeling good and my shoulder was fine for breaststroke and then I pulled my groin again(It had been twitchy for 3 week but was OK day one.)I swam the 200 breaststroke and the 50 and a relay concentrating on keeping my knees together to not strain my groin. It was effective,if distracting but at least I could swim.(I had to scratch the 200 fly though,SOB:rofl: .)

Sorry to hear that Allen...I know you've been injury dodging and circumventing to just get to finals.

Slowswim
April 24th, 2007, 09:54 AM
That's how I am too. Did you get an arthrogram or a regular MRI?

Fort: Regular MRI

Slowswim
April 24th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Beth:

I got my results...No tears:groovy: There is some fluid from the fall, but nothing needing surgery. The Doc says he can treat it with shots (meaning cortisone). I've heard bad things about them. I see him again in 6 weeks and I hope to be better and not need any.

I will work it this week and do the anti-inflammatories/ice/heat like you suggest. I taper next week, race on 5 May, then will work on recovery for the shoulder. I believe it most resembles "Swimmers Shoulder" (at least some part of me thinks its a swimmer!). I'll try the stretches they showed in that thread.

I have rarely seen anyone warm up before getting in the pool--actually only one other person than me.

Does anyone out there, stretch or warm-up before getting in the water or after getting out? I know Fort seems to rely heavily on the hot tub after the workout. ;)

Should I build time in for that or is ice better?

I have a stretching routine for running and biking, but swimming seem more like weight-lifting then just aerobic.
</IMG></IMG>

swimr4life
April 24th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Fort: Regular MRI

Bill, I hate to tell you this....my doctor told me an arthrogram is really better. It is much more accurate and shows more detail that the MRI could miss. They stick a needle into your shoulder joint/capsule and inject dye. It isn't fun, but it is very accurate. I guess your doctor wanted to do the least invasive first? Maybe he had to "jump through the hoops" of the insurance companies first. A lot of insurance companies require you to do the cheaper, less accurate tests first.....:shakeshead:

swimr4life
April 24th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Beth:

I got my results...No tears:groovy: There is some fluid from the fall, but nothing needing surgery. The Doc says he can treat it with shots (meaning cortisone). I've heard bad things about them. I see him again in 6 weeks and I hope to be better and not need any.

I will work it this week and do the anti-inflammatories/ice/heat like you suggest. I taper next week, race on 5 May, then will work on recovery for the shoulder. I believe it most resembles "Swimmers Shoulder" (at least some part of me thinks its a swimmer!). I'll try the stretches they showed in that thread.

I have rarely seen anyone warm up before getting in the pool--actually only one other person than me.

Does anyone out there, stretch or warm-up before getting in the water or after getting out? I know Fort seems to rely heavily on the hot tub after the workout. ;)

Should I build time in for that or is ice better?

I have a stretching routine for running and biking, but swimming seem more like weight-lifting then just aerobic.
</IMG></IMG>

Whoa! That was scary! We posted our last comments at the same time!!!

THATS GREAT NEWS BILL!!!!:banana: Did your doctor want to try PT? The rc exercises really work for me but, you may have something totally different wrong with your shoulder. You really need a PT to examine you and prescribe the correct exercises.

about stretching...I always swim about 500 yds easy THEN stretch.

SwimStud
April 24th, 2007, 10:21 AM
A lot of insurance companies require you to do the cheaper, less accurate tests first.....:shakeshead:

/rant on

yes because it would not do for them to actually honour the contract that you pay preimums for and so actually pay for your healthcare needs...
:dedhorse: Clue: Insurance Companies hold the 4x2...we're the horse...a
actually that horse looks like it is injured...perhaps it's a pre-existing condition or the result of a traffic accident....

/rant off

The Fortress
April 24th, 2007, 10:34 AM
/rant on

yes because it would not do for them to actually honour the contract that you pay preimums for and so actually pay for your healthcare needs...
:dedhorse: Clue: Insurance Companies hold the 4x2...we're the horse...a
actually that horse looks like it is injured...perhaps it's a pre-existing condition or the result of a traffic accident....

/rant off

Health insurance is the worst. Sorry Geek. I have to fight tooth and nail to get anything covered. I had to appeal the denial of coverage on my allergy meds (basic stuff like singular) and have letters written by my docs. How ridiculous. They never cover any antiobiotics. They also deny a lot of non-surgical treatments. I guess they prefer you to spend boatloads of time and money on surgery.

Arthrograms are better Bill, but it sounds like you probably don't have a tear! That's good news! Maybe just tendonitis? Do you do the rotator cuff exercises? Really a must. Ice is always better. I sit in the hottub after a workout just to relax and chat -- when I get to workouts. (My kid has been throwing up for 2 days and I am sitting home not working out right now. I'll probably be next. Argh.) But heat is not good if you have inflammation. Some of my teammates sit in the hottub with a bag of ice on their shoulder. I like the hottub for my legs, which are always suffering from overuse. Too much running or finning.

Cortisone? Not a big fan. It can zap the immediate pain though and really help, and I have done it once about 18 months ago. But, as I understand it, the more you use it, the less effective it is. Plus, it can actually weaken and degrade the cartilege in there, so in the long term, that's not an ideal fix. (See, drugs are no good. ;) )

Slowswim
April 24th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Whoa! That was scary! We posted our last comments at the same time!!!

THATS GREAT NEWS BILL!!!!:banana: Did your doctor want to try PT? The rc exercises really work for me but, you may have something totally different wrong with your shoulder. You really need a PT to examine you and prescribe the correct exercises.

about stretching...I always swim about 500 yds easy THEN stretch.

My insurance isn't an issue, but he may not have known it. He seemed tentative to order the MRI. He only mentioned the shots no other therapy. I did see a PT as part of the referral; she believes its a neck injury from the fall. She said that a C4or5 neck injury manifests in the upper arm. She had me use a rolled up towel under my neck while sleeping. That did lessen the pain in my lower arm a hand. I guess I go back to that for now.

I did do some searching and it seems the only warm up is swimming EZ. what stretches do you do?

What Rotator Cuff exercises? I need help! Thanx!
</IMG>

The Fortress
April 24th, 2007, 11:10 AM
My insurance isn't an issue, but he may not have known it. He seemed tentative to order the MRI. He only mentioned the shots no other therapy. I did see a PT as part of the referral; she believes its a neck injury from the fall. She said that a C4or5 neck injury manifests in the upper arm. She had me use a rolled up towel under my neck while sleeping. That did lessen the pain in my lower arm a hand. I guess I go back to that for now.

I did do some searching and it seems the only warm up is swimming EZ. what stretches do you do?

What Rotator Cuff exercises? I need help! Thanx!
</IMG>

Bill:

Go back on this thread to posts #56 and #59. Those posts list all the shoulder injury threads. On those threads, RC exercises are discussed and listed. Stretches are probably shown too. Go check them out. No swimming without doing your RC stuff first!

A neck roll should help. I can't sleep with mine though. LOL. But, you know, a labrum issue can refer pain to the neck too. Refered or sclerotogenous pain is a complex issue. Pain travels in weird and unexpected ways. That's why an arthrogram is sometimes necessary, to show the real location of the injury.

I'm glad you have good insurance! You tri guys need it.

swimr4life
April 24th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Hi Bill! I'm going to hopefully help you! The only thing that worries me is what I tell you is based on what my doctor and PT told me. What works for me may not be appropriate for you but heah....its worth a try. As long as you don't have any pain while doing these. I would feel terrible if I knew I made your shoulder worse. Try to talk your doctor into prescribing a PT evaluation and treatment. Its the only true way to get a personalized plan of care. Be careful with these. If they hurt...STOP immediately.

Most swimmers have very strong pec muscles and very weak upper back and scapular muscles. Most of the time "swimmers shoulder" is caused by a muscle imbalance. My doc said it causes our shoulders to be pulled forward and out of line. This in turn causes impingement of nerves that run through our shoulder. This leads to the pain.

My favorite stretch and the one that relieves my tightness/pain for me better than any is kind of hard to explain! I wish I could draw a diagram.....

1)Hop out of the pool after swimming easy. (Also great after a hot shower) Stand with your side perpendicular to the wall. place your forearm (just the elbow to your hand) on the wall with your arm bent 90 degrees.(Move closer or further away from the wall to make your arm bend 90 degrees) Take a step forward with the leg closest to the wall. Take a small step at first. You can alter how deep the stretch goes by altering how far you step. You can also raise or lower your forearm to stretch different parts of your chest. Hold it for about 15-20 seconds. Step back. Repeat two or three times. Do on both sides.

2) Corner stretch. Literally stand in a corner! ;) Stand far enough away so that you can take a step forward towards the corner. Place both forearms on the right and left sides with your arms at 90 degrees. (like #1 above) Step forward with one of your legs. Hold for about 15-20 seconds. This is very simillar to the stretch above.

3) Good ole' swimmers stretches. Place your hand behind your head like you are trying to scratch your back. Grab the elbow of that arm with the opposite hand. Pull your elbow toward the other side. Also try to slide your hand down the middle of your back. Repeat on the other side.

4) Another good ole' swimmer stretch...Put your arm out in front of youir body. Relax your shoulder and neck. Grab your elbow with the opposite arm and pull it accross your chest.

5) This one is great but dangerous. Be careful. I stretched too hard on this one once and it hurt! It's also very hard to explain...bear with me! Lay on your side with your arms bent at 90 degrees. We'll say your right side to help with the explanation. Take your left forearm and place it under your right forearm.Grab your right wrist with your left hand. (you'll feel like a pretzel! :D ) Using your left arm/forearm, pull your right wrist/forearm down towards the floor. If this doesn't stretch enough or if you can handle a deeper stretch, use your right arm to push your left forearm up higher (on the floor, not towards the air). Hold for about 15 seconds. Release and repeat. I would not do this stretch until you are pain free and recovered though. It is pretty intense when you do it right.

I hope this helps you. Unfortunately this is only based on my experiences. Please consider going to a PT! Gotta go swim! Feel better!

Slowswim
April 24th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Beth:

Thanx, I'll give these a try and see if I can get to the PT.

My wife has said that since swimming, my shoulders do roll forward. I was going to try some weights to balance the muscles. I assumed I should do Flat Bench and inclined bench; the Pec Deck; and torso pull over and stay away from lat and back exercises (Pull downs, rows, or military press).

Am I backwards on this and making things worse? I don't have a big chest and I thought the free style just worked the lats, back, Triceps, and Delts, and very little chest.:confused:

Do you know a good work out plan that will help with muscle imbalance?:bow:
</IMG></IMG>

swimr4life
April 24th, 2007, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE=Slowswim;88987]Beth:

Thanx, I'll give these a try and see if I can get to the PT.

My wife has said that since swimming, my shoulders do roll forward. I was going to try some weights to balance the muscles. I assumed I should do Flat Bench and inclined bench; the Pec Deck; and torso pull over and stay away from lat and back exercises (Pull downs, rows, or military press).

Am I backwards on this and making things worse? I don't have a big chest and I thought the free style just worked the lats, back, Triceps, and Delts, and very little chest.:confused:

Do you know a good work out plan that will help with muscle imbalance?:bow:
</IMG></IMG>[/QUOTE

Hi Bill!!

My Dr. and my PT told me that swimming, especially freestyle, develops your chest and pec muscles and that I really needed to work my upper back, scapular and rotator cuff muscles to balance my upper body/shoulders.

I'll try to explain the main exercises I do :
I use a 3 lb barbell. You want to use very little weight and do these s l o w l y so you are working the little rotator cuff muscles and not your big muscles in your shoulder and neck.

1) Lie on your side. We'll say the right side for explanation purposes. Hold the barbell in your left hand. Place a small towel under your left arm. (VERY important) With your upper arm alligned with your body, bend your arm at the elbow so that your arm is bent 90 degrees. Keeping your upper arm still, lift your lower arm and hand up 10-12 inches very slowly. Concentrate on using the small muscles around your shoulder joint (rotator cuff) to lift the barbell. Do 2 sets of 10 on each side to start with. You can slowly increase (ie 2x15, 2x20, 3x10, 3x15, 3x20) When 3x20 is easy you may want to try to increase to 5lbs. Start at 2x10 and increase again. I was told to never go over 5lbs because you have to stay light with the weights to work the rc....otherwise you recruit the bigger muscles.

2)Stand with your shoulders relaxed. Hold 3 lbs in each hand with your thumbs up. Slowly lift the barbells up with your hands at "10 and 2" (like your hands are at 10:00 and 2:00 positions on a clock). Lift them up till they are parallel to the floor. Do 2x10 and increase slowly like the above exercise.

3) Now do the exercise the same way but with your thumbs down. (This was harder for me! You may need a lower weight for this one to start out.) Start with 2 sets of10 and increase slowly.

4) a)Lie on the floor with your face down and your arms out to the side at 90 degrees. Try to lift your arms up off the floor and hold for 15 seconds. Relax. Repeat 10 times. You can increase the difficulty by first increasing the time you hold to 20 sec, then 30. If your neck is injured, you may want to be VERY careful doing this exercise at first. Maybe you should just hold it 10 sec. for 5 repetitions at first. After you've built up strength you can add weights....
b)Lie on a bench or your bed and hang your rt. arm off the edge. With the dumbell in your hand, concentrate on using your scapular muscles (in your upper back and the back of your shoulder) to lift your arm out to the side. Do these slowly!

5) In the same position as 4b above, lift your arm back as you would do on a freestyle arm stroke finish. Start with 2x10......

6) In the same positon as 4b, lift your arm forward. Make sure you do this slowly so you don't use your neck/trap muscles. If you can't do it without stressing them, decrease your weight.

I hope this helps you. I am a religious follower of RCology! :bow: My PT told me I would have to do these exercise for the rest of my life. I didn't beleive her at the time. Whenever my shoulder hurts, it is usually directly related to lack of rc exercises on my part. As long as I do them, I'm almost pain free. Just make sure you do these with little weight and SLOWLY so you work the right muscles. When you do the standing lifts with the barbells MAKE sure you are not using your neck/trap muscles. My pt made me do them in front of a mirrror at first so I could make sure I didn't do this! Concentrate on relaxing your neck and shoulder while doing these exercises. You may feel like you're not getting much out of them but believe me...you are.

GOOD LUCK BILL! I hope you are able to nip this problem in the bud. If your shoulder hurts, stop and stretch and put on fins if you need to. If it continues to hurt GET OUT! It is better to miss one or two workouts than push it and be out 3 months! I've learned that lesson the hard way!

TAKE CARE!!!!:wave:

SwimStud
April 24th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Just to add weight to Beth's wonderful post. Pro ballplayers do not exceed 5lbs on RC exercises.
If you feel pain, it you're doing it wrong or too heavy. As Beth said you don't want to engage the big guys...just the RC.

Slowswim
April 24th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Beth:

Thanx I will start this tonight.:bow:

I don't mean to be dense, but I have a question on #2:

Do you mean 4 and 8 not 10 and 2? If I am standing with my arms at 10 and 2, I have to lower them to be parallel to the floor. I presume this is done with straight arms that are kept in-line with the shoulders. So I'm flapping my arms from below shoulder height to shoulder height, right? Or is it from above my head down to shoulder height?

How often do you do these: every night, on non-swim days, every other night regardless of other training?

</IMG>

Slowswim
April 24th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Just to add weight to Beth's wonderful post. Pro ballplayers do not exceed 5lbs on RC exercises.
If you feel pain, it you're doing it wrong or too heavy. As Beth said you don't want to engage the big guys...just the RC.

Thanx SS:

I have been warned! I am the type who would keep adding weight until my arm fell off.

I printed Beth's instructions. I'm going to post them on the refrig so my wife can nag me (I mean coach me) on my form!:groovy:
</IMG>

swimr4life
April 24th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Beth:

Thanx I will start this tonight.:bow:

I don't mean to be dense, but I have a question on #2:

Do you mean 4 and 8 not 10 and 2? If I am standing with my arms at 10 and 2, I have to lower them to be parallel to the floor. I presume this is done with straight arms that are kept in-line with the shoulders. So I'm flapping my arms from below shoulder height to shoulder height, right? Or is it from above my head down to shoulder height?

How often do you do these: every night, on non-swim days, every other night regardless of other training?

</IMG>

I'm not sure how to explain it! I wish I could draw a diagram! Pretend there is a clock wrapped around your body and parallel to the the floor....like an innertube around your waist. You want to bring your hands, with straight arms, out in front of your body parallel to the 10:00 and 2:00 times. Does that help? Don't hesitate to ask for clarification again if it doesn't. You definitely need to do these right so you won't hurt yourself!

I do these every other day.

Slowswim
April 24th, 2007, 08:25 PM
OK, I'm not flapping my arms up and down; I doing a standing, straight arm chest fly:dunno: !?!

swimr4life
April 25th, 2007, 12:43 AM
OK, I'm not flapping my arms up and down; I doing a standing, straight arm chest fly:dunno: !?!

No...I guess I'm not explaining it right. Start with your arms at your side. Lift your hands and arms forward, in front of your body until they are parallel with the floor. Then lower them. That is one rep.

Did that help?:(

Slowswim
April 25th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I think I got it. The clock is as if you are looking down on the top of my head for the 10 and 2. Arms in front and slightly wider than shoulder width. Now I just raise my arms in front of me to parallel. Do I start with my hands by my side or already out so its a straight rise to 10 and 2?

swimr4life
April 25th, 2007, 10:26 AM
I think I got it. The clock is as if you are looking down on the top of my head for the 10 and 2. Arms in front and slightly wider than shoulder width. Now I just raise my arms in front of me to parallel. Do I start with my hands by my side or already out so its a straight rise to 10 and 2?

YEAH! By George I think you've got it! :agree: :groovy:

Start with your hands by your side. Picture the clock on the floor and your head is "12:00" so you raise your arms slightly further apart than shoulder width. (at 10 and 2).

Slowswim
April 25th, 2007, 10:37 AM
YEAH! By George I think you've got it! :agree: :groovy:

Start with your hands by your side. Picture the clock on the floor and your head is "12:00" so you raise your arms slightly further apart than shoulder width. (at 10 and 2).

Thank you for your patience.:bow:

I apologize to all other posters for Hijacking the thread, but I really need this!

I will start my RC exercises at lunch today.:groovy:
</IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>

swimr4life
April 25th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Thank you for your patience.:bow:

I apologize to all other posters for Hijacking the thread, but I really need this!

I will start my RC exercises at lunch today.:groovy:
</IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>

YEAH!!!! You are quite welcome. I'm sorry if I sound preachy...I just don't want anyone to go through shoulder problems like I have. It's close to a passion for me! I'm going right now to do my RC exercises ...:dedhorse:

The Fortress
February 5th, 2008, 10:16 PM
BUMP.

The top of my foot and toe hurt like hell. I'm worried I have a first metatarsal stress fracture. Going to ortho. Sh*t. :bitching: I'm worried about monofin deprivation. Is it possible to get a stress fracture from monofin use as opposed to just running?! Or is it the combination that's deadly? My toe hurts in the exact spot that I dropped my monofin on it too.

I also have a funny bump on the top of my foot under the skin. I'm worried it's a bursa sac.

On the other hand, I've been sleeping well.

geochuck
February 6th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Keep your feet and hands inside the pool. Don't try to swim too fast and you will never get hurt.

If you break a bone get a cast on it stay out of the water for up to six weeks.

If you have a cut go back to your doctor in two weeks, stay out of the water til the healing is done.

If you have a pain take a couple of Tylenol 3s every 4 hrs, be careful they bung you up.

Doctor says stay out of the water. Do what he says.

Dr George says throw those Monofins in the garbage.

Julie Roddin
February 6th, 2008, 10:51 AM
If you break a bone get a cast on it stay out of the water for up to six weeks.

Doctor says stay out of the water. Do what he says.

Oops...but my ortho said I could swim anytime I wanted, just to be careful. Guess you wouldn't approve of the 4,000 yards I did last night, huh?

geochuck
February 6th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I know what you mean I raced 100 fly and 100 free and a couple of relays with a green fracture in the ankle. They wrapped my ankle in a tensure bandage.

My comment was for perpetual whinners not strong willed people like you.

The Fortress
February 6th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Dr George says throw those Monofins in the garbage.

Never!

No reason not to swim at all. I just may be Julie's twin soon. Can't let that interfere with the trash talk though.

geochuck
February 6th, 2008, 11:16 AM
If you roll your shoulders right when swimming the spot you are talking about is directly over your head and reads 12 oclock.

orca1946
February 6th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Lets see --- 2 hips replacements, the last one in may of 07 , 2 weeks after the state meet, 2 sore shoulders from tooo much fly & paddles, Morton's neurome in my left foot - itchy skin , too much pool time & my daughter is going to get married soon $$$$$$$ But I love it!:wave:

SwimStud
February 6th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Lets see --- 2 hips replacements, the last one in may of 07 , 2 weeks after the state meet, 2 sore shoulders from tooo much fly & paddles, Morton's neurome in my left foot - itchy skin , too much pool time & my daughter is going to get married soon $$$$$$$ But I love it!:wave:

ooh i get itchy right at the join between my little toe and the next one up.. no signs of a rash or broken skin... not getting worse or better... Is that what you have?

geochuck
February 6th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Weddings what are you complaining about my one daughter 3 big weddings. Thank godness she got married the 4th time in Las Vegas.

Aother daughter 2 big weddings, the first was 500 sat down for the meal and they where heavy drinkers (Commercial Fishermen).

My one daughter knew how to do it. She sent me an email at Christmas saying "Marry Christmas" they got married Christmas day and I was in Mexico.

The worst thing that happened to me I was at my Niece's wedding and the caterer came up to me and presented me with the bill for the food. My sister always used her maiden name and the caterer thought I was my sisters husband and the bill was for over $50,000. I soon pointed out her husband.

Trichica
February 6th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Hmmm, let's see, I am always injured, but you will see why I never heal.

Last Thrusday mid day, my left lat starts to hurt, then it moves up to my neck. By Thrusday evening, I could not turn my head. Take muscle relaxants from prior injury (yes, I know bad girl) and go to sleep.

Woke up friday morning worse. Could not even lift myself up out of bed. So on Friday, did not make masters long course practice. :mad:

Go to work and then I have the perfect excuse for a massage!!!!!!:bump:

Saturday, wake up feeling better. I think then I may be able to run rather than Saturday's 2 hour long course masters practice. Go to gym and think, hey you can still do leg weights and hit every machine for legs. Now, I have an excuse not to run!:applaud:

Sunday, better, still cannot fully turn my neck, I run 5 miles.

Monday get half way thru masters--have to bail shoulder still not right.

Tuesday, leg weights and run 4 miles. Today FINALLY SWIM AT MASTERS. Oh yeah, lat still sore and doing a swim clinic tonight.

So if you ask me if I am injured--all the time something hurts. Last year tore the arch of my foot after running thru the pain for months.

Can you say stupidly addicted????

I figure since I am loading up the legs (also to get a stronger kick), my legs will be injured any day now.......................my orthopod is on speed dial!!!

Claudia

The Fortress
February 6th, 2008, 12:57 PM
my orthopod is on speed dial!!!

When I phoned my ortho today to make an appointment, the receptionist asked if this was yet another "new" injury. lol

ande
February 6th, 2008, 01:40 PM
are you injury prone

When I phoned my ortho today to make an appointment, the receptionist asked if this was yet another "new" injury. lol

Trichica
February 6th, 2008, 03:17 PM

LOL My ortho is a surgeon at the same hospital as my brother. My brother asked me once how many times I see or speak to the ortho (who is also a friend of my brother's). I asked why. My brother said because he always has some training story about you!!!!

My brotehr then said, I just keep telling him that you are insane!

geochuck
March 17th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Careless Doctors - Chuckie in Pain.

Chuckie had her cast removed last week, our doctor was off for a week and the replacement doctor was on duty. They took her to a room in the office where they remove casts etc. The doctor said to Chuckie don't be afraid of this saw, it looks like a buzz saw but it will not hurt.

The doctor proceeded and Chuckie said ouch a few times she was in terrible pain. She told the doctor it was burnig. The doctor assured her it would not cut her. The cast was removed and she had 5 nicks in her arm. Three on the outer forearm and two on the inner part of the arm.

Treebox
March 17th, 2008, 01:31 PM
1). I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.

2). I'm deaf but I don't care what most people say anyhow.

Other than that its just another Monday and I can't wait to get out of the office and into the pool.