PDA

View Full Version : desparately need advice! please reply immediately!

swimchickee
January 24th, 2007, 06:46 PM
i came down with a cold yesterday night, and now i am a little bit uncomfortable. i have swim practice in an about an hour and a half, and im wondering if i should rest, or still practice. i also have a big championship on sat. and sun, so i dont know if skipping a day of practice will affect me. what should i do? i need advice NOW because i'm leaving soon!

FlyQueen
January 24th, 2007, 06:48 PM
i came down with a cold yesterday night, and now i am a little bit uncomfortable. i have swim practice in an about an hour and a half, and im wondering if i should rest, or still practice. i also have a big championship on sat. and sun, so i dont know if skipping a day of practice will affect me. what should i do? i need advice NOW because i'm leaving soon!

Is it a taper meet? Extra rest will almost never hurt before a big meet. If it isn't too far away and you are tapered I'd suggest going swimming your warm-up and leaving. If you aren't feeling well skip it all together, drink some OJ and tea, eat some yogurt and go to bed extra early!

Seagurl51
January 24th, 2007, 06:49 PM

If you feel run down stay home because it may just make it worse. If you feel better than I'd say 85% then go. Or take the day off and count it as a taper for your meet.

chaos
January 24th, 2007, 06:53 PM
swim a cold : rest a fever

swimchickee
January 24th, 2007, 06:54 PM
thanks for the advice, i think i'll stay home and rest a bit.
my sinuses and really clogged up and im having trouble breathing, so i think i'll just have some extra rest.
don't know if my coach will agree though, he encourages us to swim even if we have colds because he thinks it'll help us get better faster.
in the past, practice has never helped me get better.

Larry
January 24th, 2007, 06:57 PM
"If you aren't feeling well skip it all together, drink some OJ and tea, eat some yogurt and go to bed extra early!"

I agree with the above advice except I would recommend drinking Tang instead of OJ. Reason being, like they sat in Brentwood......"That OJ will kill you".

Warren
January 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM
go to practice. And dont worry too much about being sick, Roland Schoeman was sick when he broke the 50 fly world record.

chaos
January 24th, 2007, 07:22 PM
go to practice. And dont worry too much about being sick, Roland Schoeman was sick when he broke the 50 fly world record.

its too late warren, we lost her:( :

Donna
January 24th, 2007, 09:10 PM
If it is just a cold swim through it and get some Zicam (helps fend off and shorten colds). I have been using it off and on for the last few weeks as I am surrounded by the sniffling, coughing family and coworkers. Also pop some Vitamin C drops.

Donna:wiggle:

Muppet
January 25th, 2007, 12:34 AM
I heeded Warren's advice last week and went to practice wednesday with a sinus infection. Had just gotten off a plane about 90 min prior and my ears were so full of crap I was hearing about 40% of normal capacity. It was the most uncomfortble 800 yards of warmup i have ever swum in my life. Got out, showered, went home, skipped practice the next day (but did lift instead), then swam PBs in the 400IM and 200 fly on Saturday.

Rest is a good thing.:banana:

swimchickee
January 25th, 2007, 12:59 PM
so i stayed home yesterday and i am sooo much better today, i think i'll be able to practice.
yes, rest indeed is a good thing.

funkyfish
January 25th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Just out of curiosity, and sort of related to this topic, how critical would it be to miss one day of swimming? Obviously you wouldn't want to make it a habit, but would your progress/training actually be hindered if you were to miss 1 practice out of 20? Again, just curious.

ande
January 25th, 2007, 03:06 PM
depends how severe your cold is
do you have a fever
do you got the shakes

it probably won't make much diff one way or the other
but I'd need to know more about you and what you've done recently

if you go to practice just tell your coach you're not feeling well before practice
that way if it doesn't improve you can get out and tell her your feel bad and want to go home and sleep

sometimes doing a very hard practice when you're sick can
lower your immune system and you might get sicker

sometimes you might infect your team mates

rest is good
sleep is good

so what did you do

also remember that when you're sick, you don't feel well and it's easy for those I've-ruined-my-season-by-getting-sick thoughts to creep into your head, tell your inner pessimist to shut up

just remember that tapering was discovered because athletes trained hard all season, then got sick before competition and barely trained,
swam anyway and did awesome

sometimes i've gone to practice feeling semi sick
not expecting much and sometimes i'd get in a groove and have an awesome practice

ande

waves101
January 26th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Re: missing one practice.

It depends on your training regimine. If you've been working out consistantly and you miss a day, it will not have any negative effect and may be positive because you were able to get some needed rest. On the other hand, if you workout only 1 or 2 days a week, missing a day can lengthen the amount of time needed to maintain or increase your fitness level.

Redbird Alum
January 26th, 2007, 12:51 PM
just remember that tapering was discovered because athletes trained hard all season, then got sick before competition and barely trained,
swam anyway and did awesome

Ande - You must be a comedic writer in your spare time! :lolup:

newmastersswimmer
January 26th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Ande - You must be a comedic writer in your spare time!
posted by Redbird Alum

Actually I think the statement Ande made about how tapering was first discovered is an actual true story (as crazy as it might sound)....I'm not 100% certain about that....but I did here this historical tidbit about tapering before from a couple of different sources.

Newmasterssimmer

Speedo Racer
January 26th, 2007, 05:22 PM
tonify the Earth for colds, Stomach and especially Spleen. Yin Chiao, sweet potatoes, beef, string beans, ginger root, garlic, and good ol plain H2O Avoid synthetic vitamins and eat foods high in C, like red peppers and oranges