PDA

View Full Version : finally showing some improvement

rtodd
January 24th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Just an update on my improvement after taking up swimming a year and half ago. These are my times for the SCY meets I've done:

DATE 50 100 200
4//2/06 30.28 1:10.24 -
4/30/06 28.70 1:08.76 2:56.98
1/21/07 26.45 1:04.00 2:31.39

I have a meet in March where the 100 is the first event, so I will try real hard to get under a minute. That is my goal and it will be tough. At the most recent meet, the 100 was last and I was tired from the 200 and 50. I also need to get more proficient at turns.

I just hope I can maintain a good progression. I remember from running, it took about three years of very hard work for my times to start leveling off. I figure if it holds for swimming I have another 18 months before imrovements start to slow down.

I'm so glad I discovered swimming. It has gotten me past my retirement from running. I initially did not like swimming too much, but it is growing on me. This forum has helped alot.

poolraat
January 24th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Just an update on my improvement after taking up swimming a year and half ago. These are my times for the SCY meets I've done:

DATE 50 100 200
4//2/06 30.28 1:10.24 -
4/30/06 28.70 1:08.76 2:56.98
1/21/07 26.45 1:04.00 2:31.39

I'm so glad I discovered swimming. It has gotten me past my retirement from running. I initially did not like swimming too much, but it is growing on me. This forum has helped alot.

Congrats on your progress!:applaud: :applaud:

As a former runner I can relate. I started swimming as a 48 y.o. after giving up running when I was 35. It was a struggle at first, but now it's become a bit of an obsession.
I hope you get your :59. Use the 1st 25 to build your speed, do the middle 50 at near top speed, then drive off the final turn and give it all you got. If you ever ran the 400, the strategy is very similiar. You'll do it.

rtodd
January 25th, 2007, 10:51 AM
I think there are quite a few like us that have completely abandoned running. Certainly there are some skills that need to be developed to run with correct form, but I think the skill set needed for swimming is greater, and I'm only talking about freestyle.

I hope that I can someday get on the same level as those who developed some of these skills at an early age. When I look at how elite sprinters turn, I am just amazed at how they can hit the mark and explode off. this is one of my biggest challenges. I think I am at the point where I need someone to really look at what I am doing.

Thanks for the advice on how to swim the 100.

Muppet
January 25th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I think your runners legs may help your turns a bit. A few years ago, I added pickup basketball to my crosstraining regime, then it was biking, and now hockey. Somewhere in there, I started hitting the weights as well.

Since the start of all this legwork, I have seen my turns go from mediocre to pretty darned quick, and I get a very strong push off the wall with minimal effort.

Keep working hard and that :59 will come real easy! :banana:

rtodd
January 25th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I think part of the problem is that I forget what to do with my arms and hands and I think I pause after my feet touch to get my arms and hands ready for the pushoff. When I watch video, the good swimmers are getting streamlined before their feet even touch the wall. Their pushoff almost seems instantaneous and fluid. It is a very athletic skill and I'm just not good at it yet.

poolraat
January 25th, 2007, 01:35 PM
...the good swimmers are getting streamlined before their feet even touch the wall. Their pushoff almost seems instantaneous and fluid. It is a very athletic skill and I'm just not good at it yet.

Learning to flip takes time and practice. When I was first learning, I never knew how it was going to end. It took about a year before I was consistantly hitting the same spot on the wall and pushing off with the same orientation. After that, I bagan to work on getting into a streamline as quickly as possible and now (after about 3 years) have developed a turn similiar to what you describe.