PDA

View Full Version : pre-meet advice

swimchickee
January 26th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I have a pretty big meet tomorrow that starts at 9am, and warmups at aroiund 7:45. I live only about 5 min. away from the pool, and i actually used to train here!

do you think this is a big plus or minus? just asking for opinions.

im swimming 3 events per day.
also,

what type of food items should i bring ?

poolraat
January 26th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I have a pretty big meet tomorrow that starts at 9am, and warmups at aroiund 7:45. I live only about 5 min. away from the pool, and i actually used to train here!

do you think this is a big plus or minus? just asking for opinions.

im swimming 3 events per day.
also,

what type of food items should i bring ?

I think swimming in a pool that you're familiar with will help, unless you did not like it for some reason. Is it a big meet and will you have plenty of recovery time between races? If not, make the best of what time you do have by doing a good warm up prior to the start of the meet, and then do a cool down swim immediately after each race and begin to prepare mentally for the next one. Take food that you're used to eating that will not upset your stomach. Fruit like bananas and oranges is good. Bagels and muffins are good and easy to pack. Take plenty of water and sports drink that you are used to (some of these can cause stomach problems too).

Good luck! Let us know how you did.

USMSarah
January 27th, 2007, 11:51 AM
You're probably swimming as we speak - but good luck! Eat whatever doesn't upset your stomach, and don't eat too much - you'll hurl. I eat a Power Bar an hour before warmups - I bring cold Belgian Waffles, water, and Gatorade to the meet and I only take small bites of the waffle. You've just got to find whatever works best for you!

Swim fast!