PDA

View Full Version : Proper Etiquette

Sydney
January 27th, 2007, 11:04 AM
What's the proper lane etiquette for the following scenario:

You're swimming during common lap swim with two other people who are your speed. The three of you are doing a set workout on specific intervals. You arrived early so you could get a lane. Most other lanes have 2 people in them and are being split.

A fourth person who you do not know (but have seen swim before) wants to join your lane since the other lanes are filled with non-competitive swimmer types. This person is quite a bit faster than the three of you are. The three of you still want to do your workout.

Do you:
a) abandon the workout in order to stay out of this faster guy's way
b) tell him he's welcome to join the workout but that he can lead since he's faster (but you still pick the interval)
c) tell him he's welcome to join the workout, and try to keep up with him in vain when he swims intervals that are impossible for you to keep.

Muppet
January 27th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Sydney, I vote for option B.
I think that gives everyone the best outcome. You guys got there first and have squatting rights on what is going on with your lane, and get to swim your workout. The 4th dude gets to swim with swimmers and not noodlers.

I think what is going to happen is you guys are going to try to keep up with him anyways and get a great workout! Maybe when it is all said and done, you guys have a 4th member of your crew (and a new friend!). :banana:

USMSarah
January 27th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Definitely B... Muppet said it perfectly. It's fair for everyone.

He can always move over when a noodler gets out if he doesn't want to do your guys set.

knelson
January 27th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I think B is the best course of action, but I also think the newbie is entitled to do whatever he wants if he so chooses. He should try to not interfere with your workout, but he isn't really under any obligation to join you.

CreamPuff
January 27th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Option B - 1st come, first served

If it were me, I'd go with option D. All start swimming full stroke fly - no one arm when you pass eachother (two laps should be enough). That will usually keep anyone out - that goes double if it's your best or worst stroke.

:rofl:

Sydney
January 27th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Ah, but if newbie joins us and doesn't want to swim the workout, am I obliged to mess up OUR workout in order to stay out of his way? Because that is the inevitable outcome.

Say we're leaving every 1:40 and he keeps coming in such that we have to leave at 2:00 one time, 1:30 the next time, etc. instead, lest we keep cutting him off. That's what usually happens in these situations.

okoban
January 27th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Option C is the best. I want to swim faster and someone must force my rhythm for this. But eventually it will turn to option B after a couple of lengths.

born2fly
January 27th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Option B works. However, I am with Kristina on doing the butterfly. I have been known to do that now and then. That being said, I only do the fly if I do not know who the person is.

What really bothers me is when during normal lap swim there is one person in each lane then another comes to swim. You would think the person would get in a lane with same ability however I have found this is not always the case.

Sydney
January 27th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Full offensive fly is near and dear to my heart. It's really too bad I'm not strong enough to do it with paddles. Usually that keeps the people who want to keep their hair-dos pretty out of my lane. What really stinks is when you're doing a kick set and some doof thinks that means you're slow. And gets in doing head up breast stroke.

This is why you should never do kick sets or drills during rec swim.

But you're right, some people just can't tell/don't know/don't care(?) what lane is appropriate for them.

Muppet
January 27th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Ah, but if newbie joins us and doesn't want to swim the workout, am I obliged to mess up OUR workout in order to stay out of his way? Because that is the inevitable outcome.

Say we're leaving every 1:40 and he keeps coming in such that we have to leave at 2:00 one time, 1:30 the next time, etc. instead, lest we keep cutting him off. That's what usually happens in these situations.

Eh, as I mentioned in my earlier post, if you got there first, you have squatter's rights for what you are doing in that lane, be it circle/split, the workout, etc. I still say stick with your intervals and cut him off if that is the way it has to be. He can pass you and your lanemates or get into another lane. It sounds like you told him you guys were doing an interval workout and he still agreed to be in your lane.

If he gives you some grief, smile and remind him of what you are doing and re-invite him to lead your lane. If he still doesn't like it, well then I think it is time to ask him to find a new lane.

chaos
January 27th, 2007, 08:48 PM
B... this swimmer should do what ever he needs to do so as not to disrupt the group. ie swim breaststroke, fists, what ever it takes.

scyfreestyler
January 28th, 2007, 01:56 AM
How about option D? Allow the swimmer to join and lead the group with his own superhuman, Ande-esque intervals which will be followed with the other 3 swimmers blowing chow after the first 5 impossible sendoffs. Just a thought.

But in all seriousness I would opt for letter B. Provided there is not circle swim argument things should be just fine.

CreamPuff
January 28th, 2007, 09:28 AM
I think that there are some really great replies here.

Yea, paddles and butterfly are not necessarily a great combo for the shoulders. I would avoid that.

I second the others' responses here, particularly Muppet's. What I've done before (in addition to the fly trick) is stop when I see someone hovering over the lane and explain what we're ALL doing and that they are welcome to join in our set; however we are doing the set on x intervals and if that works, she's welcome to join on in! As long as you three stick together on your set, I think that a faster swimmer would quickly become annoyed at not being able to fit in (passing 3 swimmers every few laps is no fun for all parties) and look for another lane situation.

On the flip side, when I've been the faster swimmer or even just the swimmer who comes late to a packed lap swim, I'll actually wait (gasp!) until there's a lane that makes sense for me to join. I build that extra time into my workout and by waiting, I've found that 1. I don't have to ever wait very long 2. that people really appreciate it and are sure to finish up or invite me over if it makes sense for me to share the lane. Plus, I like to watch different swimming sytles. But okay, I realize that "La La land" is rare.

Sydney
January 28th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Great suggestions. Sometimes I feel bad about not being able to hold a faster pace for the new guy, but then there's not a heck of a lot I can do about it. This month anyway.

The last time this happened I was swimming with two girlfriends, and the guy joining us was really cute. He didn't seem to have any objections to swimming our set at our pace either. AND he didn't leave when a lane opened up next to us. With three cute women in the lane who can swim at least reasonably well, what sane single man would move?

I told my single gfs that THIS was how to meet quality men. Afterall, I met my husband at the pool. What could be better than a man in a speedo?
:D

CreamPuff
January 28th, 2007, 11:01 AM
The last time this happened I was swimming with two girlfriends, and the guy joining us was really cute. He didn't seem to have any objections to swimming our set at our pace either. AND he didn't leave when a lane opened up next to us. With three cute women in the lane who can swim at least reasonably well, what sane single man would move?

I told my single gfs that THIS was how to meet quality men. Afterall, I met my husband at the pool. What could be better than a man in a speedo?
:D

Now that's what I call a happy ending!:woot:

newmastersswimmer
January 28th, 2007, 11:14 AM
How about option D? Allow the swimmer to join and lead the group with his own superhuman, Ande-esque intervals which will be followed with the other 3 swimmers blowing chow after the first 5 impossible sendoffs. Just a thought.

But in all seriousness I would opt for letter B. Provided there is not circle swim argument things should be just fine. posted by scyfreestyler

Thats funny Matt! I actually swam with Ande and his insane intervals a few times....He is a workout maniac...LOL!! I hope all is well with you these days Matt.

Newmastersswimmer

newmastersswimmer
January 28th, 2007, 12:03 PM

posted by Sidney

O.k. you got me.....It was me that joined in with you guys that day Sidney.
Great to hear from you again. Now I am so embarressed about it....I normally wear jammers, but for some reason I wore a speedo that day....LOL!!

Newmastersswimmer

scyfreestyler
January 28th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Hey Jim! How are things?

newmastersswimmer
January 28th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Hey Jim! How are things? posted by scyfreestyler

things are going pretty well actually....I hope the same is true for you. Your daughter is sooooo cute Matt! She also sounds pretty tough to tolerate the cold temps and bad weather at that swim meet you posted the pics for. I'm glad to see more of your postings lately....We missed your wit and humor.

o.k. now back to the regularly scheduled thread topic...I opt for plan B or C. I kind of see Okaban's point about having a faster swimmer in my lane to push me (thus my liking of plan C). I have been training with this 16 year old speedster lately and it has really helped me. Those kids have incredible engines on them!! I think mine is in bad need of a major overhaul though!...LOL!!

Newmastersswimmer

Sydney
January 28th, 2007, 06:27 PM
We did get an excellent draft off cute speedo guy. I was definitely faster drafting off of him by about 5 seconds/100m. Much better than trying to draft off my skinny-ass girl friends.

But on longer distances we started falling behind a little. :help: I told him that if he wanted to work harder, he could try to lap us. :agree: It was good motivation though.

knelson
January 28th, 2007, 08:15 PM

Well, if he decides to do something else he should have the decency to stay out of your way, but I still don't think he's really obligated to join your workout.

Sydney
January 28th, 2007, 08:59 PM
No, he's not obligated. But then I'm not obligated to stay out of his way OR feel sorry about getting in his way either.

Just because you're faster doesn't mean your right to swim fast trumps my right to get a decent workout.

I might add that it's a bit of a different story when 1) you're not doing a set workout on a specific interval, and 2) there aren't already three of you doing said workout. Then you probably have some obligation to yield to the faster swimmer.

knelson
January 28th, 2007, 09:44 PM
No, he's not obligated. But then I'm not obligated to stay out of his way OR feel sorry about getting in his way either.

Just because you're faster doesn't mean your right to swim fast trumps my right to get a decent workout.

I agree with both points.

Going back to your original post, I do think it makes a subtle difference that most other lanes only had two swimmers. If all these swimmers were much slower than him, and your lane was the fastest, then I can see why he'd join you. Otherwise it seems like he should find another lane rather than get into your lane. Since he's getting into your lane the onus is definitely on him to stay out of your way.

Sydney
January 28th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Yes it's a problem. Sadly our pool is often populated primarily by the head-up-breaststroke variety. If it's not too crowded, you can usually split a lane with one of them, which works as long as they can swim straight. Otherwise you end up circling and having to pass every 20 seconds. Not a good situation for anyone. Though the head-up-breaststrokers don't usually have a set workout on intervals, or do flip turns, so disturbing their swimming rhythm is (hopefully) less of a problem.

Of course you occasionally end up with idiots in your lane who think it's a good idea to stop and talk to their buddy -- MID-LAP. But that's more appropriate content for Ande's swim rant.

It's a good time to practice breaststroke! :dedhorse: