PDA

View Full Version : swimming hungover

born2fly
January 27th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Ok, first of all, I am not usually a drinker. However, that being said I went out Friday evening. I have been out in Denver, Colorado for past week for work. I finished up my work on Friday and decided I was going to spend a little of my per diem and go out and well, get drunk. The taxi dropped me off at hotel at 2am and I had practice at 630 this morning. When I woke up this morning to go swim, well I was still feeling the effects.

Im curious, do others swim hung over, do they skip that practice, go to practice and go thru the motions? To my surprise after warmup I was feeling pretty good, that is after I had a few beer and shot burps lol. I went on to have a good practice, not great, but much better than expected.

Of course, once I got back from morning practice I crashed.

poolraat
January 27th, 2007, 05:19 PM
On Friday's we'll occassionally go out for dinner and drinks and I'll be pretty buzzed by the time I get home. I swim at 7 on Sat morning and sometimes it's kind of hard to get up and get to the pool. But I don't regret it once I'm there. A good hard swim does wonders. Just need to drink a lot and not get dehydrated.

CreamPuff
January 28th, 2007, 08:17 PM
You are a glutton for punishment born2fly!
Your fave event is 200 fly and you swim a practice hung over with a few hours sleep?!
What are you - HeMan or 21 yrs old?! :D

I avoid swimming hung over at all costs. I physically can't hack it - maybe 13 years ago. . . If I want to punish myself I'll ask the coach to give me 8x800 on 1:15 pace descend 1 to 4. Or, I'll join the water aerobics class. :rofl:

Peter Cruise
January 28th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Greg- speaking as a former politzei, given the time frame you suggest, you were probably not even at the hangover stage yet. You might have confused your coach by reaching swimming's tipping point (the upchucking point) far earlier than would be normal.

born2fly
January 28th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Kristina, sometimes I think I should be drunk to swim the 200 fly, might make it less painfull lol. 8x800s that is my kinda set. When you do that lemme know, I will swim it with you. I fly back tomorrow to Ohio so its back to my normal swim and workout routine which will be nice. I might add once again, thanks to the Colorado Masters Dawgs for letting the Ohio guy swim with ya.

greg

Julie Roddin
January 28th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Im curious, do others swim hung over, do they skip that practice, go to practice and go thru the motions? To my surprise after warmup I was feeling pretty good, that is after I had a few beer and shot burps lol. I went on to have a good practice, not great, but much better than expected.

:drink: <---Smiley dude should be holding a huge margarita and several bottles of wine for this story.

Here's my confession...Last September I was signed up for the Montclair 2-mile swim. Fortunately for me it didn't start until about 10 am. The night before, I went out to happy hour thinking, ok, I'll be home and in bed before 10 pm and one drink won't hurt. Several drinks and hours later we all crashed at my friends house. I got home around 7 am, packed up my swim stuff and headed down to the lake. I watched the 1-mile swim and was nauseous the entire time. I decided to get in to loosen up and the water felt so good so I decided to go ahead and do the swim. Plus my Mom, who has never had much sympathy for her kids when it comes to hangovers, basically told me to "shut up and swim." Off I went. I got a lead in the first 100 yards and ended up the overall winner.

Now, I DO NOT recommend this race strategy. I believe that the only reason I had a good swim was that the water was really cool and it felt so refreshing. The only time during the entire day that I didn't feel hungover was while I was swimming. After the race, I did start to wonder how much faster I would have been without the hangover. I will NEVER do that again before a race, especially the Bay Swim next summer where Muppet and I will be racing.
:banana:

</IMG></IMG>

SwimStud
January 29th, 2007, 08:37 AM
:drink: <---Smiley dude should be holding a huge margarita and several bottles of wine for this story.

Here's my confession...Last September I was signed up for the Montclair 2-mile swim. Fortunately for me it didn't start until about 10 am. The night before, I went out to happy hour thinking, ok, I'll be home and in bed before 10 pm and one drink won't hurt. Several drinks and hours later we all crashed at my friends house. I got home around 7 am, packed up my swim stuff and headed down to the lake. I watched the 1-mile swim and was nauseous the entire time. I decided to get in to loosen up and the water felt so good so I decided to go ahead and do the swim. Plus my Mom, who has never had much sympathy for her kids when it comes to hangovers, basically told me to "shut up and swim." Off I went. I got a lead in the first 100 yards and ended up the overall winner.

Now, I DO NOT recommend this race strategy. I believe that the only reason I had a good swim was that the water was really cool and it felt so refreshing. The only time during the entire day that I didn't feel hungover was while I was swimming. After the race, I did start to wonder how much faster I would have been without the hangover. I will NEVER do that again before a race, especially the Bay Swim next summer where Muppet and I will be racing.

</IMG></IMG>
Maybe you were too drunk to pace yourself and feel the pain? I am hoping to do an OW this summer in CT someplace. I just have a "inherent revulsion" to swimming in Long Island Sound to overcome...if I ingest any of that water I'd be seriously wobbly.

Muppet
January 29th, 2007, 09:16 AM
I will NEVER do that again before a race, especially the Bay Swim next summer where Muppet and I will be racing.

Actually, I have heard from several individuals that the best way to swim the bay is hungover. :drink:

The night before my first crossing in '05, I had a first date with a very pretty young lady. We went out for pasta and each had a glass of wine (she finished the half I didn't drink). Did pretty well (1:48, sixty-something overall). :drink:
Crossing #2 in '06, the two of us went out the night before again to celebrate, another half glass of wine, another good swim (1:50something in masive choppiness, top 50 overall). :drink:
Crossing #3, hopefully more of the same.

Julie Roddin
January 29th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Actually, I have heard from several individuals that the best way to swim the bay is hungover.

I totally think that one or two beers/glasses of wine is ok. I had two beers the night before I took almost 3 hours off my Ironman PR.

A huge margarita and sharing a BIG bottle of wine...not so good. I would NEVER have made it through Montclair if it had been choppy.

Paul Smith
January 29th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Unlike Ande, Evil-Goodsmith and quite a few other swimmers I know.....I've never been able to swim "fast" work out times....the only exceptions we're the times in college when for some reason my coach got wind of my being out having a little to much "fun"......his sadistic side was to try and make an example of me and several times stopped practice and gave me a get out swim.....I guess my bodies fairly good at burning ethanol.....I never missed the goal time, never threw up....even came close to NCAA cuts once in the 100 free...and ALWAYS teed him off big time!

Greg....glad to see you we're back in town again....sorry I missed you as we've been in Salt Lake....not working out because of the severe pollution warnings!

Muppet
January 29th, 2007, 10:54 AM
I totally think that one or two beers/glasses of wine is ok. I had two beers the night before I took almost 3 hours off my Ironman PR.

A huge margarita and sharing a BIG bottle of wine...not so good. I would NEVER have made it through Montclair if it had been choppy.

Impressive!
As for the Montclair choppiness, sure you would have.... you'd probably be the only finisher, as everyone beind you would have quit after having to swim through "Julie's Last Night's Dinner.":dedhorse:

The Fortress
January 29th, 2007, 10:39 PM

This is my MO too. A glass or two of wine has no negative effects. I didn't realize you were Ironman-ing. Very cool. I used to marathon and road race before I went back to swimming! Hard to give it up. Are you still doing tris? Is the Reston Tri filled up already? That seems impossible to get into ...

I think you and Muppet should both continue your habit of imbibing before Bay water swimming. It's obviously stood you both in good stead. :dedhorse: :banana: :drink:

Greg:

You must be drunk to want to swim the 200 fly regularly. But you're so fast, I guess it makes it worthwhile. I often go out on Sat. nights and still try to drag myself to practice on Sundays. We have a guy on our team who says we need to "quit whining" and come to practice even if we've been imbibing (as he often has). He's our role model. I think he's 60 now. So I feel bad complaining ...

Julie Roddin
January 29th, 2007, 11:08 PM
This is my MO too. A glass or two of wine has no negative effects. I didn't realize you were Ironman-ing. Very cool. I used to marathon and road race before I went back to swimming! Hard to give it up. Are you still doing tris? Is the Reston Tri filled up already? That seems impossible to get into ...

I started doing triathlons in college about 10 years ago, did my first Ironman in '01, one in '03 and then two in '04. That's it for me for now. I've had all kinds of running injuries since my last IM and just decided that swimming was better for my body. I'll do another Ironman, maybe in '08.

I haven't completely given up triathlons and have been doing sprint and Olympic distance races for the last few years and am signed up for a few for this summer, but swimming is my #1 priority over biking and running right now. Through all of the last two year's running injuries, I discovered that I really did love to swim, despite what I thought when I was growing up. It's incredibly relaxing and you can just get away from work/life stress while in the pool. Running can be like that too, but I haven't been able to find that since '04.

Reston Triathlon hasn't opened registration yet. I think they said February. I did it last year...it was the day after my hangover swim, and well, let's just leave it at I didn't have a good day. Long story and not nearly as good as the Montclair adventure.