PDA

View Full Version : taper

swimchickee
January 27th, 2007, 08:36 PM
what exactly is taper, and how does it help?
im not entirely clear on this subject...

if you dont taper for meets, how are the outcomes different?

SwimStud
January 27th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Chickee
I found this to be a good source of info...maybe a bit overwhelming etc. but a good dig through might get you a lot of answers.
Rich

http://swimming.about.com/od/thetaperandshave/The_Taper_and_Shave_for_Swimmers.htm

swimchickee
January 28th, 2007, 02:30 PM
hm, so if you've been training all hard for a month w/ very little rest, then you have a meet, you are less likely to improve, am i right?

KaizenSwimmer
January 28th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I've gradually shifted away from using the term "taper" and toward using the term "sharpening."

Reduce intensity first, volume next. Devote more time to rehearsal of every aspect of the race. Virtually everything else should be restorative -- because the rehearsals have the potential to cause fatigue.

But more important than the physical effects are honing your mental preparation.

SwimStud
January 28th, 2007, 02:43 PM
hm, so if you've been training all hard for a month w/ very little rest, then you have a meet, you are less likely to improve, am i right?
You're probably better off having a very easy week before the meet like I just did. Think more "stretchy and technique" keep a little pace work in there but not too much, I bettered my entry times by a good few seconds. The resting obviously makes all the difference.

swimchickee
January 28th, 2007, 03:05 PM
i remember when i was young - around 10 years to 12 years old, we never did any sort of tapering or "sharpening", yet i still almost always swam PBs. why do you think that is?

FlyQueen
January 28th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Tapering is fabulous. I start looking forward to our April taper in November. Basically, you drop your yardage and do more quality fast work with tons of rest. Not all practice, but maybe 500-1500 yards of easy enudrance (depending on how much you do currently) then a few fast 12.5s, 25s, or 50s and then you are done. It's great!

Also, are you sure you didn't taper as a kid?

swimchickee
January 28th, 2007, 10:11 PM
i guess i did taper just a bit, but it wasn't very much emphasized.