PDA

View Full Version : Breathing Q

Guppie
January 28th, 2007, 06:23 PM
I'm not a competitive swimmer and don't expect/hope to ever be one. But do like the pool for exercise--less trouble for my knees.

However one thing that I've been been able to do is to get a handle on the whole stroke/breathe timing. Every time I go to take a breath, I get a mouth full of water and end up stopping. I can breath fine with the back stroke and butterfly but not at all in any face down stroke.

Also a secondary Q: I always seem to end up going crooked--regardless of what stroke it is. I either hit the wall or the lane ropes (markers). I was in the pool today (three lanes in this pool--all taken) and when a fourth person showed up, I found myself HOPING that he wouldn't want to join my lane. Because I know that I don't swim straight and it makes it difficult to share a lane. Thankfully, he asked the guy in the next lane.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks!

Muppet
January 29th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Don,
Welcome!

For your breathing in freestyle, you should be simply turning your head to the side (essentially chin to shoulder). I am guessing that is what you're doing and still getting a mouthful. Try working on your shoulder rotation. Every time you bring an arm forward, rotate so that shoulder is our of the water. This will help when you breathe such that when you turn your head to your shoulder, your rotation will help it seem like you're turning your head further out of the water.

With your straightness... Your arms are likely coming underneath your body during your underwater recovery. Next time you're in the pool, take a moment to see where your hands are going underwater. If you see your hands come infront of/underneath your face, you're coming too far inside and underneath your body. The ideal position for your underwater recovery is just outside your shoulders.

Rob Copeland
January 29th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Can anyone offer any suggestions?Thanks!
Find a Masters program with a coach who can look at your strokes and provide an opinion as to what is causing your breathing and directional problems. Without seeing you swim it is impossible to give an accurate suggestion as to what to fix. Are you breathing early or late? Do you under or over rotate? Are you maintaining proper head and body positioning?

Guppie
January 29th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Don,
Welcome!

For your breathing in freestyle, you should be simply turning your head to the side (essentially chin to shoulder). I am guessing that is what you're doing and still getting a mouthful. Try working on your shoulder rotation. Every time you bring an arm forward, rotate so that shoulder is our of the water. This will help when you breathe such that when you turn your head to your shoulder, your rotation will help it seem like you're turning your head further out of the water.

With your straightness... Your arms are likely coming underneath your body during your underwater recovery. Next time you're in the pool, take a moment to see where your hands are going underwater. If you see your hands come infront of/underneath your face, you're coming too far inside and underneath your body. The ideal position for your underwater recovery is just outside your shoulders.

Thanks for the suggestions Muppet! That gives me something to look at.

And Rob, I KNEW that someone wouldn't know for sure what my problem is without seeing it in action. But I was just hoping someone might be able to offer suggestions as to what it COULD be.