PDA

View Full Version : hello, Im new

wildfleurcotage
January 29th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. I am a new member in N.J. I was once pretty good in the water but it's been a very long time. I am looking forward to this. Eventually I would love to start competing in my age group of 55 to 59 as I am 55. Hoping for input & advice as I am staring all over again. :cool:

SwimStud
January 29th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. I am a new member in N.J. I was once pretty good in the water but it's been a very long time. I am looking forward to this. Eventually I would love to start competing in my age group of 55 to 59 as I am 55. Hoping for input & advice as I am staring all over again. :cool:

Hiya Michele
I went back to swimming this past October after a hiatus of 25 years. I Just competed in my first event yesterday, and had a blast.
Just go bit by bit as easy as you need to avoid hurting yourself and get into the races. You'll find a good cheering section on these forums; novices and experts alike.

Rich

jim thornton
January 29th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Hi, Michele,

I know two really nice guys in your age bracket that swim in New Jersey. Jack Martin just turned 55 last year and swims in Atlantic City. Arthur Wein is 56 and lives closer to NYC--somewhere in northern NJ. I might be able to track down email addresses for them. They could recommend some places to work out.

geochuck
January 30th, 2007, 07:41 AM
You are going to get lots of advice here. Some good and some not too good, but mostly good.

nancytris
January 30th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Hello Michele,
I'm fairly new here myself and I agree with George -- you have to sort out or bypass some info and sometimes even bordering on "flames" but most of the information here is great, and lots & lots of support. I have not yet competed in any swim only races, and am not sure that I will, but swimming is a fun way to help keep in shape. I have jparticipated in a few triathlons, and if I can get my feet to cooperate (heal from plantar fasciitis) I may enter a couple more.

So welcome aboard, and happy lapping.
Nancy

tjburk
January 30th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Michele, welcome back!!!!! My opinion....."Once a swimmer, always a swimmer" Be one with the water! Whether it's just for fitness:dunno: or serious competition:dunno: ....welcome back!!!! :agree:

The Fortress
January 30th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Michele:

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of great and very detailed info here. The flames and purple prose banter provide a little amusement value as well, if you're interested.

If you need workouts, look in the workout section. If you're curious about a specific question, use the search engine or start a new discussion thread. Or you can always use the "Ask Ande" thread for a specific question. He's got a blog and is great about answering questions. Everyone is very happy to provide info or sypathize about any training issue or problems. There are some amazing swim gurus here (including Geochuck, although he was to modest to mention it)!

Like Rich, I took 24 years off and am now back in the water for 18 months. You may round into shape faster than you think. Tracy is right -- once a swimmer, always a swimmer! Don't forget about those rotator cuff muscles! Get them in shape too as you start training. Best of luck!

:banana: :groovy:

nancytris
January 30th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I agree with Fortress about the flames and banter adding entertainment value! And I hope no one took offense to my comment - it wasn't meant that way. It was said with tongue in cheek and in an endearing way:drink:

Nancy

The Fortress
January 30th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I agree with Fortress about the flames and banter adding entertainment value! And I hope no one took offense to my comment - it wasn't meant that way. It was said with tongue in cheek and in an endearing way:drink:

Nancy

I'm sure Geochuck was very offended. :rofl:

quicksilver
January 30th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Obviously you've found a pool if you've just gotten back into it. It's nice though to find a local masters club to help keep you motivated. And there's no pressure to be in shape when you join. Most masters groups welcome the newcomers as part of the family .;)

http://www.gsmswim.org/membership/placestoswim.htm