PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article

jsmwbnc
February 2nd, 2007, 08:28 PM
What do you all think? Ande, is this the reason you train the way you do?

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0952.htm

The Fortress
February 2nd, 2007, 10:55 PM
I think this is quite persuasive! I have always trained somewhat this way as a master. I am currently making an effort to train much more this way. (I've called it "aerobic-lite" on the Ask Ande thread. AKA "race pace" low yardage training.) I think training fast works well for sprinters and it's pretty fun. I hope to test out this theory more fully at meets this spring. This type of training also helps me because my shoulder can't sustain the pounding of too much engine-building type yardage/training. Not that I wouldn't like to do it, and haven't in the past, I just am more limited at the moment and seem more genetically suited to sprinting. Plus, I'm The Flash and a FAF Sista.

I didn't read the article with great lawyerly-like deliberation, but it appeared to suggest the same findings would apply to distance swimmers. I can't really comment with any authority on that. But it seems like distance swimmers might need some aerobic work along with pure anaerobic work.

Allen Stark
February 2nd, 2007, 11:05 PM
YES,YES,YES.Take that Morgan's coach:argue: That is the way I train,and it's more fun.Swimming fast feels good and it is actually easier to sprint fast on my own than to optimumly push myself at longer distances on my own. If you don't train fast how can you swim fast? Again YES!!:groovy:

The Fortress
February 2nd, 2007, 11:28 PM
YES,YES,YES.Take that Morgan's coach:argue:

Allen:

Maybe Morgan can nicely hand the article to her coach when they're having that discussion on sprinting workouts you recommended. If he doesn't listen up, I think he's destined for a well deserved, not-so-nice threadies nomination from some of us or from Morgan.

How can college swim coaches (or any coach really) not keep reasonably up to date on the latest swimming developments and thinking?! Hopefully, they're not all just paid to say "Ready Go."

poolraat
February 2nd, 2007, 11:56 PM
Being a former runner, this makes a lot of sense to me. I've always wondered about this obsession with yardage (and have even been caught up in it) and how swimming large volumes of yardage at relatively pedestrian speeds can be beneficial to someone who races primarily sprints. When I was training for 880 and mile races the bulk of my training was intervals of 220 to 660 yards at race pace with a relatively short recovery. About half of my training was what was considered LSD but my training regimen usually consisted of 3-5 miles of steady runs in the morning and 1-2 hours of track work in the afternoons. I never tracked the distance of the afternoon workouts, it was more about the intensity and speed. It appears that Ande has already figured it out.

LindsayNB
February 3rd, 2007, 10:41 AM
I thought this was pretty interesting:

The way to increase your distance per stroke is to increase the force generated by the active muscles and achieve an optimum position in the water. This is best achieved by high-intensity training, with the aim of developing power in the water at race pace.
This is the opposite to what one frequently hears.

gull
February 3rd, 2007, 12:55 PM
"In the world of running – thanks to the influence of pioneering physiologists and coaches such as Frank Horwill, Veronique Billat, Jack Daniels and our own Owen Anderson – the focus of training is now on ‘pace’ rather than lactate levels or heart rates."

I have to admit, the idea of training with Jack Daniels is intriguing.

knelson
February 3rd, 2007, 01:03 PM
I have to admit, the idea of training with Jack Daniels is intriguing.

Remember that poll about blowing chow during workouts? I think the Jack Daniels approach might skew the results on that one :)

Redbird Alum
February 3rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
"... Costill tracked the performance of competitive swimmers over a four-year period ... Improvements in swim times were identical for both groups at around 0.8% per year for all events. ..."

I was glad to see this type of long-term study included. I think single season-only studies, while easier to implement, leave too much room for interactive and intersecting factors.

I tend to use shorter workouts as much because I can only squeeze so much time out of my schedule, so this type of article helps me feel like my efforts will not have to be limited to just fitness alone!