PDA

View Full Version : Swimming in Super Bowl Ads

scyfreestyler
February 3rd, 2007, 12:20 PM
I could not care any less about football or the super bowl but I saw this on USA Swimming this AM and thought it was interesting.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117958289.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&query=PRIDE

knelson
February 3rd, 2007, 12:46 PM
"Pride" should be a good one and I'm hoping it brings a lot of positive attention to the sport. I'm just hoping we haven't reached the saturation point of "coach overcomes adversity and helps shape great athletes and great human beings" movies. There have been a lot lately: Coach Carter, Glory Road, Remember the Titans, etc.

Redbird Alum
February 3rd, 2007, 01:13 PM
Kirk -

I'm with you on the saturation thing. At my house we wait till they're on rental now, and pick a sleepy weekend to watch some of them. They're nice, but sometimes too predictable.

I think if USMS wants to see a movie done to help inspire the masses, there are plenty of folks that could be spotlighted as individual human interest stories, or coaches/teams that have made big impacts in their communities and members lives that could be great material for a film.

With an aging populace, maybe an inspirational film about older aged athletes is finally in order.

Matt

Seagurl51
February 3rd, 2007, 01:38 PM
Movies like "Pride" have been made a million times over and people still flock to the theaters to see them. Everybody knows exactly how they turn out, exactly what will happen, but since it involves a sport girls will be able to drag their boyfriends along.

Advertising this movie during the Super Bowl is HUGE! They just spend how many millions of dollars to put up a 30 second spot about swimming. That right there should be considered a big step in the right direction!

funkyfish
February 5th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Did anyone notice the Coke ad (heh heh)? Actually, I'm referring to the one that makes fun of the Grand Theft Auto game. I thought that was really cool, but now I'm feeling guilty about letting Coke jerk at my "aaawwww, isn't that sweet strings." I guess I'll go have a Coke and drown my guilt :p