PDA

View Full Version : Olympians? Posting or Beating Them?

Caped Crusader
February 6th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Just curious.

How many former Olympians are posting on this forum?

And has anyone here beaten an Olympian in masters or other competition?

islandsox
February 6th, 2007, 11:12 AM
I almost didn't reply because even though I was on the Olympic Team in 1968, I was an alternate and am wondering if that counts.

And, I have been beaten by lots of masters after I reached about age 40; Laura Val comes to mind; she always took me in my best event, backstroke, so you see, there are some pretty darn great swimmers in Masters and I as I recall, you are now one of them, too, right? Top Ten this year, right?

Oh, and there was a woman master swimmer from Georgia who took me in the 800 m free at the USMS Long Course Nationals in Oregon.

Nobody stays on top forever!!!

Donna

Warren
February 6th, 2007, 11:30 AM
scott goldblat posts here ocasionally.

thewookiee
February 6th, 2007, 11:41 AM
I almost didn't reply because even though I was on the Olympic Team in 1968, I was an alternate and am wondering if that counts.

Donna

Donna,

It counts! You made the team, alternate or not, that is something to be proud of doing.

Timed Finals
February 6th, 2007, 11:47 AM
I do?

Oh, yes, I do. But I think that I should probably stay out of this line of questioning knowing that I could probably be beaten by the vast majority of users of this forum right now. With that said, I am improving in the pool, and am surprised as to how fast this swimming this comes back to me.

knelson
February 6th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I could probably be beaten by the vast majority of users of this forum right now.

Very doubtful, Scott. Very doubtful!

By the way, your old teammate Tommy Hannan has been getting in from time to time with my masters team. No one I swim with is beating him, I'll assure you :)

Timed Finals
February 6th, 2007, 12:00 PM
By the way, your old teammate Tommy Hannan has been getting in from time to time with my masters team. No one I swim with is beating him, I'll assure you :)

Yes, but Tommy is good.

scyfreestyler
February 6th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Yes, but Tommy is good.

I am going to make a huge assumption here...anybody who finds a seat on the US Olympic Swim Team is a good/great swimmer. Let alone somebody who was part of a gold medal relay team as you were. :D

Rob Copeland
February 6th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Yes, but Tommy is good.And you weren’t a slouch either. Olympic Gold and Silver, a national title, etc. And all from that crummy BAC pool. By the way, last month I talked to Jim and it looks like he has finally found some land for his new pool.

And one more note to the capon crusader, these folks are “Olympians” not Former Olympians.

Ivor
February 6th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I beat former British Olympic swimmer Mike Fibbens in a 25m free sprint in training.

Does that count?

(Admittedly he did beat me in the other seven)

The Fortress
February 6th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I beat a non-swimming Olympian at poker once. Does that count?

I've beaten my coach. :groovy: But she wasn't really a sprinter in the day.

Donna is awesome!!

Caped Crusader
February 6th, 2007, 02:13 PM

And, I have been beaten by lots of masters after I reached about age 40; Laura Val comes to mind; she always took me in my best event, backstroke, so you see, there are some pretty darn great swimmers in Masters and I as I recall, you are now one of them, too, right? Top Ten this year, right?

Oh, and there was a woman master swimmer from Georgia who took me in the 800 m free at the USMS Long Course Nationals in Oregon.

Nobody stays on top forever!!!
Donna

Just stay on top of the cliques and you'll be doing fine.

Thanks for the Top Ten nod, but that's not me. I believe you may be referring to our mutual pal. ;) But I wouldn't mind if you complimented me on my diamond calves.

So how many people are in the Top Ten here then? Or is that too nosy to ask? I already said I wasn't.

chaos
February 6th, 2007, 03:29 PM
So how many people are in the Top Ten here then? .
not me, but here is the place to find out.
http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/

newmastersswimmer
February 6th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Did Ron Karnaugh ever post here? He was a 2 time Olympian I believe? And of course there's Gary Hall Jr. I know his sister has posted here a few times but I can't recall if he actually posted.

Newmastersswimmer

Muppet
February 6th, 2007, 04:24 PM
So how many people are in the Top Ten here then? Or is that too nosy to ask? I already said I wasn't.
I'm in there, but mostly for SCM and LCM.

And of course there's Gary Hall Jr.
He may not have responded to any of my posts, but GHJ did sign my breast at '04 SCY Nationals. I felt like I was some groupie at a rock concert. Because of the commotion surrounding his and Subir's 50 fly, I missed my 50fly at that meet. Oh well.

The Fortress
February 6th, 2007, 06:13 PM
not me, but here is the place to find out.
http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/

Yeah, you're a real slouch. Only a national OW champ. You and Kaizen.

What about the anonymous posters, Dave? How do we find them on that site? That's well over half the posters... LOL.

Yay, Muppet and SwimmieAvsFan!! :applaud: The Dynamic Duo.
Yay, my twin/FAF Flash Sista Beth McGee aka Scaaalet. :applaud:

Yay, all you other posters, the scads of you who are top ten, including all those breaststrokers out there.

FindingMyInnerFish
February 6th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I beat a non-swimming Olympian at poker once. Does that count? :laugh2:

Love it!

Donna is awesome!! Very, very true!

The day I ever beat an Olympian in her/his sport either Olympian will be in the 105-109 age group, and his or her arms or legs will be tied together. Also, Hawaii will have record blizzards, Bush will switch over to being a Democrat, and the Eagles will win the Superbowl all on the same day.

chaos
February 6th, 2007, 10:40 PM
What about the anonymous posters, Dave? How do we find them on that site? That's well over half the posters... LOL.

you can find anything on the internet;)

dorothyrde
February 7th, 2007, 06:17 AM
I watched the Olympics all the time when I was a kid. Does that count?

I also swim next to an Olympian in the morning many times. I barely see him as he zooms by.

aquaFeisty
February 7th, 2007, 07:35 AM
I met Rowdy Gaines at Swim Across America... and had my picture taken with him at 2000 Olympic Trials. Does that count? :D

He was such a genuinely class-act nice guy when we met him!

The Fortress
February 7th, 2007, 10:42 AM
you can find anything on the internet;)

Oh good. Maybe you can find out Geek's name. LOL. I've read he's changed it many times.

:dedhorse: (for his Muppetness)

Jeff Commings
February 7th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Scott, good to see ya! You probably don't know me, because I left Austin before your freshman year. But I hope you consider coming to Austin next year for masters nationals. We're looking to have as many former Longhorns there as possible.

As far as beating Olympians, I did beat Atilla Czene's 100 IM world record for the 25-29 age group (it's since been broken). That was one of the highlights of my swimming career, to swim a time faster than an Olympic gold medalist.

And if the race were over at the 150, I would have beaten Josh Davis in the 200 IM at worlds.

chlorini
February 7th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I saw your 200 IM at Worlds, Jeff! My husband was in the heat right before you guys. It was so exciting, and the crowd was very into it. Great job!

Muppet
February 7th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Oh, I did have a chance to race Jeremy Linn at the Tropical Splash meet 2 or 3 years ago. I think we were in the 200 free together. I came in second - was quite impressed that I finished 2nd to him.

:dedhorse:

poolraat
February 7th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Does the One Hour Postal count?
Check the 2005 results.
Men 50-54 I was 55th, he finished 57th.

Different guy, same name?

newmastersswimmer
February 7th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Oh good. Maybe you can find out Geek's name. LOL. I've read he's changed it many times. posted by fortress

Hmmm I wonder what that could actually be?....Don't worry Geek, your secret is safe with me...har har.

Newmastersswimmer

P.S. I once swam in the same meet as Steve Lundquist and Rick Carey....Does that count?

SwimStud
February 7th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Oh good. Maybe you can find out Geek's name. LOL. I've read he's changed it many times. posted by fortress

Hmmm I wonder what that could actually be?....Don't worry Geek, your secret is safe with me...har har.

Newmastersswimmer

P.S. I once swam in the same meet as Steve Lundquist and Rick Carey....Does that count?

Define swim...

chaos
February 7th, 2007, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=The Fortress;77545]Oh good. Maybe you can find out Geek's name. LOL. I've read he's changed it many times.
QUOTE]

I'll pm you geeks name.

knelson
February 7th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Oh good. Maybe you can find out Geek's name. LOL.

Enough hints were dropped in the "Geek vs. Gull 500 free" thread that any cybersleuth worth his salt could find out Geek's real name in a matter of minutes :)

chaos
February 7th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Enough hints were dropped in the "Geek vs. Gull 500 free" thread that any cybersleuth worth his salt could find out Geek's real name in a matter of minutes :)

I'm not going to start the "OUT" USMS thread.....but it would be a fun one!

The Fortress
February 7th, 2007, 01:35 PM

I'm sure I could've looked up the results from the NC meet and guessed. I just hadn't gotten around to it. Now, I know what to call him!

I'd like to know if Geek's racing my friend, Andy Farrell. He lives here now, but goes to NC for meets all the time as an NC Master. They're in the same age group. I hope Geek is nice to him if he knows him!

Who is "Lefty"? He made a mean comment about anonymous posters and the utter meaninglessness of the forum. I don't really agree, as Beth's recent thread just proved.

newmastersswimmer
February 7th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Enough hints were dropped in the "Geek vs. Gull 500 free" thread that any cybersleuth worth his salt could find out Geek's real name in a matter of minutes posted by Kirk Nelson

Actually the last time they raced (about a year or so ago) they posted a similar type thread ...and I used the hints from that thread to figure out his real name....I also sent Geek a pm just to make sure I was right...and of course I was....LOL!!

Newmastersswimmer

jim clemmons
February 7th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Does it count if they're in older age groups? Or different gender?

chaos
February 7th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I once had Eddie the Eagle's shadow pass over me. I think it was him...might have been a plane....the sun was in my eyes....I had a few Patrons (gold).

newmastersswimmer
February 7th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Define swim... posted by That British Dude

I don't know the precise definition Rich....but in my case it has something to do with smoking some young British Dude's butt out of the water in a 100 I.M. ....LOL!! :thhbbb: :thhbbb: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Newmastersswimmer

Allen Stark
February 7th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Jim,of course it counts. I beat Graham Johnson in a 200 breast once. I've also beaten Collette Crabbe in 100 and 200 breast. Surely these count:rofl:

Julie Roddin
February 7th, 2007, 10:42 PM
And has anyone here beaten an Olympian in masters or other competition?

A few years ago one of my training buddies and I were ranked higher in triathlon than Amy Van Dyken. Other than that I can't think of any Olympians that I have beaten at anything.

With regards to top ten times, I've got a few :) Although, last year I thought I had a pretty good year going way faster than the year before and thought for sure I'd have a chance at scy top ten but missed it by 1 second in two events and not much more in a few others. In 30-34 I would have had three top ten times and my 1650 would have been SEVENTH and 400 IM EIGTH! I have since turned 30 so we'll see what happens this year!
</IMG>