PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes, pre-diabetes, and swimming

jim thornton
February 7th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I have a request for the extremely knowledgable swimmers out there. My editor has recently asked me to write an article for Best Life magazine's "father issue" on a man who has overcome Type II diabetes and helped his kids (who either have the same condition or signs of pre-diabetes) overcome their condition, as well, via exercise, better diet, and possibly medication.

If you know anybody--masters swimmers, triathletes, runners, or any other kind of athlete--who fits this bill, please let me know. I'd ideally like to profile the father and his kid(s) on what steps they've done to overcome this increasingly common problem. I know so many of you guys have bequeathed a love of swimming, and its myriad of health benefits, to your own kids that I am hoping somebody out there can relate to this specific situation.

Thanks! You can either post a reply here, PM me, or send me an email directly to JamesThornton1@comcast.com

Muppet
February 7th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Gary Hall Jr. is a pretty well-publicized example.
:dedhorse:

jim thornton
February 7th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Alas, he has the juvenile onset kind, right? Type I, where the pancreas stops making insulin altogether. Plus, he doesn't have kids yet, does he?

Muppet
February 7th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Alas, he has the juvenile onset kind, right? Type I, where the pancreas stops making insulin altogether. Plus, he doesn't have kids yet, does he?

Oh yeah, duh! Oh well. :dedhorse:

Warren
February 7th, 2007, 04:03 PM

you're right, he does have type 1. But he does have a kid now, a daughter thats about a year old.