PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else actually enjoy solo workouts?

sftom
February 7th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I was just reading the thread where people talked about how difficult they find it to workout alone. I'm somewhat at the opposite end of the pool, so to speak, because I really enjoy working out alone. I have a high-stress job that involves contention and competition (lawyer) and the thought of carrying that over to my swimming is not at all pleasant. Nor do I feel the need to obsess about my times, etc. I really just love swimming. Anyone else feel the same way?

proberts
February 7th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I have been swimming alone for the past 30 years and I Love it. I also swim to relax, but I do like to compete against myself. I just really like the solitude and to go fast when I want and just take it easy when I want. I just completed the 1hr. postal and am trying to better my time this year for the 1650 postal. I did the whole AAU meet thing for 10 years and though I never lost my love for swimming and never have taken a break from it, I was happy to be done competing against others.

The Fortress
February 7th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Hey, sftom:

I'm a lawyer too. I used to work at Morrison & Foerster, a big SF firm, as you know. So I know your pain in the stress department. I'm part-time now, so not too much stress (not law firm part time, that's a boatload of stress).

I like working out solo too. I like it half and half. Half alone and half with the team. When I'm alone, I can do more drills and technique work and focus on what I want. My team doesn't have a lot of sprinters and I am one, so I can focus on speed work when I practice alone. I can also do shoulder rehab or recovery swims solo. And sometimes the solitude is just fine. But I also like my teammates and enjoy competition. Maybe the magnitude of your job makes swimming a nice escape? No need to obsess about your times. Sounds like you love swimming just the way you're doing it. Good luck!

blainesapprentice
February 7th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Maybe it's just because I have swam for a team for so long, but I LOVE swimming alone. It depends I suppose on what sort of situation I am in, because I have loved a team or two that I have been on, but it can be very refreshing during my off season to swim on my own. I love making my own workouts that focus on getting me to my goals and really pushing myself on days when I know I can go the extra mile, and being able to reduce my yardage on a day when I am hurting or know I need to take it easy...instead of enduring the wrath of a coach...

just my take.
im sure you all know how awesome I get along with my coach however.:-p

chaos
February 7th, 2007, 04:45 PM
I prefer to train with company, even if I am doing a different set than the rest of the gang, I am still more motivated with other swimmers present.

The absolute best swimming experience for me is during an OW event, after swimming solo for an hour or more to come upon a friend/rival and race goggle to goggle: shoulder to shoulder: stroke for stroke to the finish.

Julie Roddin
February 7th, 2007, 05:00 PM
My team doesn't have a lot of sprinters and I am one,

And you've been swimming in a lane with someone who prefers the 2-mile open water swim because the 1-mile is too much of a sprint :)

Julie Roddin
February 7th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I really get motivated by the team workouts. I find sets easier to do when you have people around you to keep you going. On the other hand, when I was training for the 7.5 mile swim last summer, I ended up having one day a week to do a long swim on my own and really enjoyed it! Sometimes I would do the entire swim on my own, sometimes I'd swim 4,500-5,000 with the team before finishing up another 5,000-6,000 on my own.

That said, I do NOT like to do a structured workout (something like 100s or 200s on an interval) on my own. When I swim by myself, I usually just do several 1000 yard swims and take 30-60 seconds in between each one. They go by pretty fast.

The last long workout I did before the race was 5,000 with masters and then 1 x 3,000, 2 x 2,000 because I had somewhere to be early in the afternoon and I knew if I did 1,000s or 500s and took a minute in between that I wouldn't make it on time. Gotta keep the family happy :)

And I don't have a ton of patience. Even I am amazed that I did a 3,000 straight and enjoyed every minute of it!

some_girl
February 7th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Julie, you may want to look into professional help. Posts such as yours are indicative of imminent psychosis. Go directly to the emergency room now!

The Fortress
February 7th, 2007, 06:22 PM
And you've been swimming in a lane with someone who prefers the 2-mile open water swim because the 1-mile is too much of a sprint :)

My point exactly! Can't do aerobic lite swimming with our workaholic team. We usually scare off new members after a couple months. I usually swim in the fast lane, but was "disinvited" because of my chronic shoulder injury. LOL. Not really. I was just out of shape from shoulder rehab in Dec/Jan. But you get my point about the lack of sprinters ... However, I will say that BH, despite his engine building predilection, is a fine sprinter. William of course is as crazy as Dave Barra and Muppet (who he always gets to swim against at meets). See ya Thursday for stroke night. (Never go Tueday -- way too much freestyle.) I may even come on Sat because the practice time was changed to 12:30 pm!! I'll be dogging the long stuff while you're enjoying it.

BTW, you can have ALL the 800 and 400 relays at zones Julie!! I'll stick with the 200 relays.

Some girl:

Spot on comment as usual. Better not ever join our team.

fanstone
February 7th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I swim solo on weekends and Mondays, but being a lazy person and procrastinator I don't get much done. So with the coach and the group I do better.The coach keeps me honest; he is used to teaching kids and he treats us as if we were kids, which is good. I also find that I need a rabbit, a pacer, someone just a little bit faster or slower than I. The guy I share lanes with is my age but a lot slower. Usually I have a girl on the next lane (a girl aged 45) who will beat me unless I swim my best. Even though I swim faster than she does, if I take it easy she will finish the sets (100s, 200s, 1000, whatever) way ahead of me. She and another guy and I, are always competing during training, although we don't admit it. I want to add that recently I purchased a swimp3 (Finis) thingie and have started using it on my solo days and find it easier to swim long on my own while listening to Elvis, or Ray Charles and others. billy fanstone

Julie Roddin
February 7th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Julie, you may want to look into professional help. Posts such as yours are indicative of imminent psychosis. Go directly to the emergency room now!

Too funny! In my short time on this forum, I get the feeling that there are people way more nuts than I am.

tjburk
February 7th, 2007, 09:52 PM
99% of the time I work out alone, which works out pretty well for me. My biggest physical challenge has been the fact that I smoked for about 28 years. I started when I was around 11 or 12, and just finally quit for good a few years ago. So when I work out....sometimes I get going and have to stop to catch my breath.....if I was working out with someone, it would interrupt the workout. So, I actually do like swimming alone, but miss the competition of someone pushing me through the workout!

Allen Stark
February 7th, 2007, 09:59 PM
I love to workout alone. I can design crazy workouts,fine tune things,do silly drills,do serious drills,do sprints with lots of rest,do sprints with little rest,etc. One thing I do every now and then that I recommend for preparing for a 200(in my case breast) is swim a 200 sprinting the first 50 and then trying to finish as fast and smoothly as possible. It really helps with confidence that I'm still OK if I take a race out too fast.

m2tall2
February 7th, 2007, 10:02 PM
As you could tell from my post on the other board, I really love working out alone.

Today I decided to test myself by trying a 400 yard I.M. for the first time in my life! And at one time in my life I was on a coached team for 15 years and don't ever recall a set with a straight 400 I.M. involved.

It was serviceable, I didn't die, and I am quite pleased. Even though many of you would call my fly something way short of serviceable. Something more like almost not drowning comes to mind...

I get to swim whatever I want! :)

(And obviously have the ability to continuously push myself outside my comfort limits even while on my own.)

Luv2sprint
February 8th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I work nights and weekends, so there's little chance I'll be joining my team for their workouts (6 a.m.), so I've trained on my own since I joined Masters four years ago. Obviously, it would be nice to be able to swim with a team for the structure, camaraderie, the ability to ask a coach questions and have someone critique my swimming, etc., but it just isn't possible. My team does have evening practices .... but I work nights. (It would be nice if my team would implement noon practices, but apparently I'm in a small, small minority working nights and weekends and no one else is interested in swimming at that time)

Anyway, enough griping. Since I've trained on my own so long, I have grown to enjoy it. I like doing workouts that are tailored to me, not a bunch of IM or long distance. I like that I don't have to feel guilty about showing up late or leaving early or not keeping up with the team, or having to share a lane with people too fast or too slow, etc., because it's just me.

I understand the advantages of training with a team, and my coach often tells me how I'd improve vastly if I did, but ... I guess I'm not dedicated enough to get up after four hours or less of sleep to work out.

I do find I'll get unmotivated sometimes, I suppose that's something people on a team don't have as much since they know there's someone waiting for them at practice. Anyone else who swims on their own have that problem, not feeling like going to work out? How do you fix it?

swim4me
February 8th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I do find I'll get unmotivated sometimes, I suppose that's something people on a team don't have as much since they know there's someone waiting for them at practice. Anyone else who swims on their own have that problem, not feeling like going to work out? How do you fix it?

To combat talking myself out of working out (swimming or anything else), I do it first thing in the morning (or do it when you wake up since you work nights). I pack my stuff and lay my workout clothes out. When my alarm goes off, I get out of bed, get dressed, grab my bag and go do it. I feel so much better afterward (even if I did not feel good after waking up), and I can't talk myself out of a workout, because it is already done. :groovy:

We have a gym at work, and years ago and way before I joined masters, I used to work out during the day at lunch. But after missing too many workouts because of meetings (best way to put me in a bad mood), or just talking myself out of it (I don't feel like it today...., I am too tired...), I began working out early, early in the morning. Now I swim three days/wk at 5:30 and do my gym workout the other two days. Benefits are I miss the morning traffic (on days I work out at gym) and regardless of whether I swim or do something else, I am feeling great and ready to work at 7:00 or 7:30 am!!:coffee:

globuggie
February 8th, 2007, 10:41 PM
For me, it depends. I like swimming with people that are slightly faster than me so I am pushed to work harder and improve. If I swim alone, it's much harder to push myself to swim fast. However, I do sometimes enjoy swimming alone and doing long, easy distance or drill/turn work. Swimming alone can be very relaxing, but swimming with other people helps force me to improve.

Warren
February 9th, 2007, 12:15 AM
I like making my own workouts.

USMSarah
February 9th, 2007, 08:32 AM
I actually enjoyed my solo swim last night very much (I know, I know... I was the one who started the other thread). One of my teammates was there, but he was finishing up... we got to chat a little... and then my practice was fun, I felt good - no one was on my butt (or swimming faster than me - ha ha). It was great.
:banana:

Swim Free or Fly
February 9th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I enjoy swimming solo for a variety of reasons. One, like someone else said, is the solitude. Swimming is a good escape from the kids and all the associated noise. The rythmic splashing of the water lulls me. Gives me time to think and contemplate.

The more practical reason is my work schedule doesn't fit in with a team's schedule. I travel for half the month and my days off aren't consistent, so going to the pool whenever I can rather than being tied down to the team's workout is much more convenient.

SwimStud
February 9th, 2007, 08:58 AM
I do my workout solo, as I did last night.
700 free to warm up easy.

Then I did the Bowman Modified #3 all on Breast.

I don't have a team but i know a few folks who workout and it's nice to get a hi and have a few words

I alway take the time to say hello.

I enjoy not haveing to fit into someone else's workout...but I'd like it once in a while.

Slowswim
February 9th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I am new to swimming and need all the help I can get.:wave:

My athletic background is running. Although, I consider myself a Triathlete. I am slow but trying to get faster.

I recently moved so my coach from home has been e-mailing me workout. I'd love to find other swimmers to keep me motivated and help me with form, pace, drills, etc. But i am resigned to the fact that I will be a solo swimmer. The pool I go to is either empty or has blue hairs with mask and snorkle.

I just found this site to day and will start using the USMS workout from Kevin.

girlfish
January 18th, 2018, 07:20 AM
I love swimming solo too and feeling the freedom of bobbing, floating, swooshing, diving and generally aqua-ambulating in a pool. I swim about 1,000,000 yds every year ( for the past two years)and some of my workouts end up being short 500-1000 m, but some are long 8-9k. If I need to get a long workout in I am sometimes at the pool when the Masters team arrives. But I am also there long after they have gone. So I might peek on the coachs board and see what they are doing. I'll add that workout to the rest of my workout. When that happens I feel like I went to a practice! But it doesn't happen very often, about 1-2 times per year.

ssumargo
January 18th, 2018, 10:43 AM
I do both. I swim with the masters team 4 days a week. And the one day that the pool is not open + weekends, I solo swim at the gym. I did a solo swim for a while, was feeling unmotivated. I tried to do the workouts available on this site, but I just didn't do them because I would "slack off". Being in a team, especially with people in my lane, pushes me to go faster and swim harder. I then take whatever sets the coach has given me before and I do them while I solo swim. When I do solo swim, I do more yardage, but less intensive. I like my current balance between swimming with a team and swimming solo.

Also, I am not competitive, a terrible sprinter and terrible open water swimmer. I just do it to because I have 3 young kids, I need my own time where I'm not thinking about them or work. And that tired but great feeling when I get out of the water.

Sumorunner
January 18th, 2018, 11:13 AM
I swim twice a week with a masters team, structured workouts which I can never complete, but I do as much as I can. Mostly I do that to get advice on stroke mechanics, etc. Then one or two other days I just swim laps, mindless, unstructured, relaxed, continuous 2000 yds or so. I prefer that actually, but without the coaching from the team workouts, I would not be doing as well there. In summer, I swim open water with a Tri club, 1-1.5 miles in a lake. Other than the mass start, it's more or less solo swimming.

Allen Stark
January 18th, 2018, 11:57 AM
I posted my thoughts on this thread 11 yr ago, they haven't changed.
I hope this doesn't come off as critical,but since there is a current thread on solo swimming, why resurrect a thread over a decade old. I mean that as a sincere question. i am barely computer literate and basically the only forum I go to is this one, so there is a lot I don't understand.

flystorms
January 18th, 2018, 12:06 PM
Allen, it looks like, from the number of posts, she's a new member and is probably digging through the forum not looking at date. :)