PDA

View Full Version : Better to date or marry a swimmer or not?

The Fortress
February 7th, 2007, 09:11 PM
What do posters think? Is it better to date or marry another swimmer than a non-swimming athlete or non-athlete? Does it lead to discord or harmony? Too much couple competition? Or more understanding when you want to go to practice or meets all the time? Is swimcest the best?

I notice Cruise married a swimmer ... and we know about Muppet ...

blainesapprentice
February 7th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I was actually just thinking about this...haha...because on my team we're warned at the beginning of the season not to commit swimcest-no dating other swimmers....yet people don't listen every season, and it always ends poorly.

I think it would be most ideal to date/marry another athlete--but not another swimmer. I mean, idk, I like having my swimming be a thing I can do alone as a way to escape everything else. But non-athletes tend not to be as considerate or sympathetic regarding injuries and need to get to practices and meets. Thats my take. Haven't met anyone that fits the perfect mold yet....

fanstone
February 7th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I married my wife for the sex...ooops, not supposed to say that, this is a family forum. Well anyway, during our long courtship and now an even longer marriage, we never were together in sports (dated for about 5 years, married 30, we've been involved sinde 1972). I use to play lots of tennis, I mean, I played every day, but my wife did not. Then I started running and my wife joined me. Eventually she was faster than I when running longer distances. We completed 3 marathons, she being about half an hour faster. She doesn't have the swimming experience that I have but she goes to her swimming classes and eventually we swim together Saturday mornings, she doing her stuff and I doing mine. Okay, let's change the question: are you attracted to members of the opposite sex (or same sex, who knows?) because they are swimmers, that being a plus irrespective of the total other qualities they may have, including a great body? yes...billy fanstone (formerly attracted to martina hingis, jennifer capriati, and gabriela sabatini)

Seagurl51
February 7th, 2007, 09:42 PM
What do posters think? Is it better to date or marry another swimmer than a non-swimming athlete or non-athlete? Does it lead to discord or harmony? Too much couple competition? Or more understanding when you want to go to practice or meets all the time?

Two words...Michael Phelps. Of course you should marry a swimmer.:wiggle:

I agree with Morgan that it would be nice to marry another athlete just so they know what competition and training means to you but it doesn't necessarily have to be the same sport. There are a few people on my team though who are married, in very different spots in terms of competitiveness and speed, and they seems to get along great, and it's time they get to spend together without kids doing something they enjoy together.

In response to Bill's question I am more attracted to swimmers because um.. yea great bodies and little body hair. ;)....and see my answer to Fort.

SwimStud
February 7th, 2007, 09:49 PM
It' good ot marry someone with similar interests but this can become a conflict when kids arrive and each want time for training...well this conflict comes anyway but with 2 athletes it could be very costly.

Swimmers are hot and more comfortable with their bodies than the average person....plus they don't go on 900 mile car rides wearing diapers--well they might if they'r told it will tke off .01 seconds per length...:rofl:

fanstone
February 7th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Who needs diapers? True swimmers pee wherever they are, diapers or not. Sorry, couldn't resist the chance. billy fanstone.

Muppet
February 7th, 2007, 10:06 PM
little body hair. ;).

Kyra, you are sorely mistaken :dedhorse:

Julie Roddin
February 7th, 2007, 10:06 PM
What do posters think? Is it better to date or marry another swimmer than a non-swimming athlete or non-athlete? Does it lead to discord or harmony? Too much couple competition? Or more understanding when you want to go to practice or meets all the time? Is swimcest the best?

Of course, the swimmer boys shave their legs.

I've dated a swimmer, triathlete and non-swimmer. It's so much fun to have friendly competition, someone to train with, and someone to understand your lifestyle. At the same time, sometimes it's nice to be with someone who doesn't know the difference between a 2:00 and 1:59 in the 200 free!

But what do I know, I'm still single.

SwimStud
February 7th, 2007, 10:08 PM
But what do I know, I'm still single.

Wait..I thought I just heard muppet heading to his car asking how to get Virginia

Allen Stark
February 7th, 2007, 10:21 PM
My wife swam in college(pre Title IX) and some Masters before she hurt her shoulder and took up Martial Arts. I have gotten her to get back into swimming in a limited way.It's great to go to meets together.We have both been very competative people,but after enough time have worn off MOST of the sharp edges.

Seagurl51
February 7th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Kyra, you are sorely mistaken :dedhorse:

True I've some very hairy people swimming, but most competitive swimmers have little hair.....and if they dont' they should cuz it's hot. ;)

Jules...Power to the single people!! :woot:

Julie Roddin
February 7th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Wait..I thought I just heard muppet heading to his car asking how to get Virginia

Three things...

1. Muppet already commented on the "little body hair"
2. Muppet is not single

And the biggest issue here...
3. I'm pretty convinced that people from Maryland don't like to cross the river to go to Virginia unless they work here.

I dated a guy from Maryland (a triathlete, and I could swim so much faster than he could and that was a whole other issue) and he never wanted to drive to VA to hang out here. Being the nice person that I am I always drove to Maryland, and it's only about 20 minutes. Safe to say that relationship didn't last long.

So, Muppet better be bringing some nice, cute, single friends with him to Virginia. Oh, please bring one for my roomie too!

Allen Stark
February 7th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I am blocking on his name(first name was Jon I think) but the first swimmer to shave down was an Australian swimmer who won the 100 Free at the 56 Olympics. When asked how he got the idea to shave his body his father answered for him"are you kidding,he's hairy as a goat."

gregory
February 7th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Sharing a common sport like swimming forms an incredibly powerfull bond and relationship with couples. Indeed, the swimming bond improves with age. Some of the happiest couples are swimmers. The best romantic relationship I ever had was with a fellow swimmer and runner. So, I am still looking for another swimmer. Finally, the couple that swims together also finds love together.

SwimStud
February 7th, 2007, 10:51 PM
I dated a guy from Maryland (a triathlete, and I could swim so much faster than he could and that was a whole other issue) and he never wanted to drive to VA to hang out here. Being the nice person that I am I always drove to Maryland, and it's only about 20 minutes. Safe to say that relationship didn't last long.

Julie..you're supposed to let him win...guys like to feel powerful... :rolleyes:

2 things:

1) I must have missed where Muppet said he was not single

2) Mrs Swimstud is freaked out by my hairless bod and asks if it really

makes a difference to my swim...

;) hehe

The Fortress
February 7th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Julie..you're supposed to let him win...guys like to feel powerful... :rolleyes:

2 things:

1) I must have missed where Muppet said he was not single

2) Mrs Swimstud is freaked out by my hairless bod and asks if it really

makes a difference to my swim...

;) hehe

And Alpha girls don't?!

Muppet is dating SwimmieAvsFan. Don't you read? :thhbbb:

Dating swimmers is quite great. They are definitely the cutest male athlete by far! Tall, broad shoulders, cute butts. I dated them all through high school and most of college (then I dated some Brit Buoy who was not SwimStud). Then I hit a skid in law school. No damn swimmers. Found a non-lawyer obsessive tennis player/golfer. Tried to convert me to golf. That doesn't work for a sprinter with a short attention span.

Finally married a runner. He's usually pretty supportive. But he thinks practices and meets take too long and he is always wanting to schedule vacations right before a big meet or doesn't understand why it's a problem to take a vacation at that time. He does have diamond calves though ... Non-athletes. Forget it. Non-endurance athletes. Forget that too.

ensignada
February 7th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I'm only a recent swimmer, but I don't believe that partners need to share interests. I do, however, think that partners need to respect and support each others choices.

My husband and I came into our marriage with mostly different interests, many which we introduced each other to over the 17 years we've been hitched. He taught me to sail, I got him travelling, he convinced me to join his band, I convinced him to try all sorts of ethnic cuisines. With respect to the interests we don't share, we try to support one another. I don't share his thrill of rewiring the sound board every week:dunno:, but I give him space to do it. He thinks swimming is a survival skill, but has never once complained about the time I'm spending at the pool (or being the parent-in-charge while I'm there).

(I agree with Rich about sharing interests being costly: our band disbanded in part because the only people making money off our gigs were our babysitters!)

USMSarah
February 7th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Swimmers do absolutely nothing for me (no offense). I like the big guys, for example: built more for football. Never dated a swimmer in my past, and never wanted to. My friends have, and things just plain got messy - (especially when they're on the same team)... not cool.

However, I'd love for my husband to swim. He actually has some great natural technique (probably because his wingspan is HUGE) - but he just can't time the breathing well during freestyle... and he just gives up. Maybe some day he'll get it. But I'd have to say, it's kind of nice to have my time away from the men in my house (hubby and baby).

He likes to go to meets and watch me compete - and takes note of my improvements in my strokes... it's cute.

Anyways, I think it just depends on the individual if they want to be with a swimmer or not.

Muppet
February 7th, 2007, 11:55 PM
See Julie's "thing #3."

Three things...

1. Muppet already commented on the "little body hair"
2. Muppet is not single

And the biggest issue here...
3. I'm pretty convinced that people from Maryland don't like to cross the river to go to Virginia unless they work here.
So, Muppet better be bringing some nice, cute, single friends with him to Virginia. Oh, please bring one for my roomie too!

To Julie's point #3, AMEN!!! Virginia is for lovers, not for drivers! :dedhorse: The streets have no rhyme or reason to their direction, no one has ever heard of turn signals or driving fast in the fast lane... i could go on and on... :dedhorse: Tysons Corner - region's worst traffic, and they're building up around the mall?!?! Ok, rant over. :dedhorse: Coming from a Virginian, it is comforting that you recognize there is a problem.

To Julie's point #2, and I am going to get some flack for this, let me point out that as far as the IRS is concerned, Julie's statement is not accurate.

To Julie's point #1, and to expand on my earlier post (which was short b/c there was a LOT of good tv tonight: USA v MEX soccer, Duke/UNC hoop, LOST), I think the swimmer hair thing is not something to be taken into consideration. For anyone who looks good sans hair, at some point, the shaving will stop, and that fur will be growing back permanently.

and for Julie... I'll start the interview process tomorrow... though you didn't specify whether you want my nice, cute, single friends to be male or female...:joker:

jim thornton
February 8th, 2007, 12:03 AM
All things being equal, I would rather have a romance with a swimmer than a non-swimmer. There's something about being in water beside a lithely muscled naiad; the occasional "accidental" slap of her pectoral fin as you pass by circle swimming;the wet hair and dazzling aquamarine eyes reflecting the sun bolts in the water; the refreshing, eminently clean, sacredness of it all.

But if things go sour, you will have to find another pool, and give up your friends for a while, and try not to think too much about the last lines of the Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock:

I grow old … I grow old …

I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me.

I have seen them riding seaward on the waves
Combing the white hair of the waves blown back
When the wind blows the water white and black.

We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown

Till human voices wake us, and we drown.

Muppet
February 8th, 2007, 12:05 AM
I must have missed where Muppet said he was not single

There may have been a hint dropped here or there... I guess the hints may be too subtle for you, or maybe SwimStud's cape keeps getting in the way of your eyes :thhbbb:

20 months on Sunday. but who's counting?
:dedhorse:

Julie Roddin
February 8th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Coming from a Virginian, it is comforting that you recognize there is a problem.

and for Julie... I'll start the interview process tomorrow... though you didn't specify whether you want my nice, cute, single friends to be male or female...:joker:

But remember, I am originially from Maryland. And yes, the roads here are confusing. I have a friend who lives on 2nd St South. The problem is that there are about 6-7 other 2nd St South's within about 5 miles of her house. And my street, 34th St. South eventually turns into 36th St. South and those two streets basically make a 1.2 mile loop through our neighborhood. And in any other city, I would live 32 blocks from her, but no. It doesn't work like that!

About your friends, male would be great!

SwimStud
February 8th, 2007, 08:03 AM
And Alpha girls don't?!

I come here for the insightful swimming discussion...not for the soap opera or relationship drama "Desperate Swimwives"

*ahem*

PS I hope SwimmiwAVsFan realises how lucky she is...

hehe

aquageek
February 8th, 2007, 08:12 AM
I don't think swimming has anything really to do with it. Maybe a common like of athletics or fitness is more important. I know our family does a lot of fitness type of activities together. And, my wife and I do work out together in the gym once a week. We used to golf and play tennis together until those activities took up more time than we had, especially after the kiddies. She was a good age group swimmer, although that was long before I knew her.

waves101
February 8th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Tried it in high school but had a hard time getting by the hair on the girls legs being so long, sharp, stubbly, etc.

aquageek
February 8th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I come here for the insightful swimming discussion...not for the soap opera or relationship dram "Desperate Swimwives"

Amen to that, a sentiment shared by quite a few these days. Go to match.com or cupid.com or just get a room.

SwimStud
February 8th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Amen to that, a sentiment shared by quite a few these days. Go to match.com or cupid.com or just get a room.

Touche!

lol

The Fortress
February 8th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Amen to that, a sentiment shared by quite a few these days.

I think SwimStud was being sarcastic Geek.

The word "Amen," BTW, is on the disapproved inanity list. It shows a lack of Mindfulness.

I hope Muppet realizes how lucky he is. he, he. I think he does.

Muppet is correct that Tysons Corner, where I live, is a hideous disgusting traffic mess that threatens the lives of swimmers on a daily basis.

aquageek
February 8th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Every thread these days turns into a flirt session and it's becoming highly annoying.

SwimStud
February 8th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Thoughts are general...not directed to anyone.
I'm all for having a good time and a laugh. If anyone male or female thinks I'm here to pick up girls--they're way off. As for serious only posting. I am sure I am not alone in saying that the warmth shown by some posters here was a big factor in my interest in sticking with swimming. If it was all stats and analysis--I'd not likely have stuck around competed, figuring that it was all too high brow for a joker like me.

I guess it must be hard for some of the great purists among us to see someone else enjoy swimming and have less OCD about it. However the sad fact is for 95% (caution: this stat maybe be a STDEV off) of us we will never step up, smiling, onto the 1st place podium to collect our medal regardless of how serious we train and troll...but Goodhew forbid we swim the last 50 of a 200 smiling from embarrassment b/c we messed up turn or had a good race and took a second off.

Think I'll open a new profile and brood in solitude posting only when I can mention my stats, or my bodyfat ratio etc. Just be wary of Elitism: It's quite unamerican.

Lastly for some of us. Who don't have a team to train with...this forum community is our team. Coaches, buddies, and nemesises (? you look it up) etc.

OK I'm done now.

SwimStud
February 8th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Every thread these days turns into a flirt session and it's becoming highly annoying.

Geek. the title of this thread says what it is. Why are you posting here then? No offence buddy. It's like knowing you don't like milk and then drinking a glass and complaining about it.

There are certain topics for all of us that we don't want to read or post on.

Jeff Commings
February 8th, 2007, 10:26 AM
It's worked superbly for me.

Meeting my partner was the best thing I could have ever done. And we met at a swim meet. Minutes before our teams were racing in a relay. (His won.)

Pretty much the only thing we have in common is swimming, and since it's a major part of our lives, it helps that we both understand it and empathize on the hard workout days.

knelson
February 8th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Meeting my partner was the best thing I could have ever done. And we met at a swim meet. Minutes before our teams were racing in a relay. (His won.)

This brings up another point, though, does the competition in the pool ever affect your relationship? It seems like it would, maybe even more so if we're talking about a same sex partner.

Ivor
February 8th, 2007, 10:42 AM
In my experience an interest in actually taking part in sport of some kind is more important than swimming specifically - otherwise no matter how hard they try, they just do not ever truly understand that you're not a lunatic.

Although if you are both swimmers neither of you will notice the smell of chlorine.

And of course any regular physical exercise will improve your stamina.

Ivor
February 8th, 2007, 10:44 AM
This brings up another point, though, does the competition in the pool ever affect your relationship? It seems like it would, maybe even more so if we're talking about a same sex partner.

But competition in the pool could affect any relationship, including friendships. Is it amplified when you're sleeping (or want to sleep) with the other person?

That's not rhetorical - I am genuinely asking.

aquageek
February 8th, 2007, 10:55 AM
There are certain topics for all of us that we don't want to read or post on.

Such as dating, for instance.

This is a swimming forum, which is why I'm reading the forum. It would be much easier to dispose of the silliness that permeates every thread than try to avoid reading what appear to be serious swimming threads that get hijacked by the cutesy bologna.

For instance, the premise of this thread is interesting and many of the responses are germane to the topic. The who dates who, who has a crush on who, etc, takes away from a good topic.

knelson
February 8th, 2007, 11:13 AM
But competition in the pool could affect any relationship, including friendships. Is it amplified when you're sleeping (or want to sleep) with the other person?

That's not rhetorical - I am genuinely asking.

I don't know either. That's why I asked the question! :)

I would think it could. No one wants to feel inferior all the time. Same kind of thing as if one partner is making a lot more money than the other.

SwimStud
February 8th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I don't know either. That's why I asked the question! :)

I would think it could. No one wants to feel inferior all the time. Same kind of thing as if one partner is making a lot more money than the other.

It's going to depend on the 2 people and how they can shut off after swimming or what not.

The money thing is interesting. My grandparents told me one thing when I got married. "There's no mine and yours...just ours....otherwise it won't work."
17 years later it seems this was a good piece of advice.

poolraat
February 8th, 2007, 11:29 AM
My wife was a high school swimmer but we didn't meet through swimming. We're also musicians and we met when the choir I sang with and the orchestra she played in performed together. Swimming is something I took up just after my children joined the local team. My wife now coaches this team but does not coach me. We tried that and ended up arguing constantly.
Having common activities or hobbies is as important as is having separate ones.

knelson
February 8th, 2007, 11:33 AM
The money thing is interesting. My grandparents told me one thing when I got married. "There's no mine and yours...just ours....otherwise it won't work."

My wife and I have taken the exact opposite tack: we keep our money separate. Yeah, we both contribute to the common household expenses, but then we can spend or save our discretionary income however we see fit without the other person questioning it (much, anyway :)). I'm not going to say it's perfect, but it works pretty well.

osterber
February 8th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I just married a swimmer 6 months ago. We met swimming masters.

On our masters team, <thinking....> ... there are two married couples that I know of who met swimming masters, and another engaged couple that met swimming masters. I'm sure there are more that I'm not thinking of...

-Rick

SwimStud
February 8th, 2007, 11:49 AM
My wife and I have taken the exact opposite tack: we keep our money separate. Yeah, we both contribute to the common household expenses, but then we can spend or save our discretionary income however we see fit without the other person questioning it (much, anyway :)). I'm not going to say it's perfect, but it works pretty well.

discretionary income...never heard of that... ;)

aquageek
February 8th, 2007, 11:51 AM
I've always wondered if married swimming couples can only converse in 20 second intervals every few minutes.

Ivor
February 8th, 2007, 11:53 AM
I've always wondered if married swimming couples can only converse in 20 second intervals every few minutes.

Some couples - non-swimming or otherwise - don't even manage that!

The Fortress
February 8th, 2007, 12:01 PM
This brings up another point, though, does the competition in the pool ever affect your relationship?

I know a married couple that sometimes have a bit of difficulty competing together. They are both elite masters swimmers, but one is at a higher level. I think it creates issues sometimes for them. They rarely converse at meets. On the other hand, they are understanding about the need for practice time and making sure each gets to their workouts.

I think, if you're a swimming couple, it might help to have different strokes or events.

I'm just as happy not to be married to a swimmer, but I like being married to an endurance athlete because I think they have more of a sense of the pain, time, commitment, etc. involved.

m2tall2
February 8th, 2007, 12:09 PM
My husband is a non-swimmer athlete. I couldn’t imagine marrying a non-athlete. I dated a non-athlete once – for several years, actually – it turned out that was a major hinge for us not having much in common and becoming frustrated with each other. I liked to go out and do things in my spare time (walk the mall, go for a bike ride, play pool, obviously swim, etc.). He being a die-hard non athlete enjoyed many more passive activities (movies, reading books, video games, etc.)

It’s great having an athlete husband. He’s supportive of my goals, understands the need to take time for fitness, and we have lots of common interests even though it’s not in our sport of choice. I was a swimmer my whole life, played a little volleyball on an intramural team, enjoyed shooting baskets (not actually playing basketball though), playing an occasional pick-up softball game, etc. He was a baseball player through grade school, on the crew team in college, and has played on a men’s hockey league team since college. On one of our first few dates he taught be how to rollerblade, he re-introduced me to ice-skating and we play on an extremely casual office softball team in the summer.
I do sometimes wish he was a swimmer. It would be great to have someone who enjoys going to meets, and to push each other at swim practice (especially ‘cause I swim alone). Someone who understands the self-induced pain in training for a 200 Breast. He doesn’t particularly enjoy or understand swim meets, although he tries. There’s so much down time at a swim meet when you’re not on a team it would be nice if he enjoyed the sport. Then we could plan vacations around nationals, and he wouldn’t mind coming with me for a 3 hour away day trip for a swim meet, etc…
He’s agreed to give swimming a shot once he finishes his masters degree in May (nothing new until then). And only on the condition that he find goggles that comfortably fit so his eyes don’t get wet at all. He doesn’t even enjoy swimming and I recently found out it is because he hates getting his eyes wet (mostly due to contacts) but has never tried goggles.
We’ll see how it works.
It may be safer on our bank account if he just sticks to the hockey team though…

m2tall2
February 8th, 2007, 12:13 PM
While I've never been in the position of competing at an event with my husband, I couldn't imaging it causing stress between us. Mostly because we would NEVER be directly competing against each other. He's competing against the guys and I'm competing against the women.

Although it might be an issue if a few too many "pointers" start to get in the way. And because you intimately care for the other persons hopes and desires, their bad meet could really bring down your good one.

newmastersswimmer
February 8th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Every thread these days turns into a flirt session and it's becoming highly annoying. posted by the AquaGeek

What exactly doesn't annoy you Geek?....Maybe you should try some deep relaxation therapy to help loosen you up a bit...LOL!!:lolup: :lolup: :groovy:

BTW I hate to have to admit it, but I agree 100% with what Richie Rich said about being able to joke around a little and not just talk about swimming stats, workout strategies, and stroke mechanics exclusively all the time....We also like to come here to just socialize a little.....so I don't see that as flirting....I can't help it if all the women around here can't stop flirting with me now can I?....:joker:

Newmastersswimmer

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :thhbbb: :thhbbb:

SwimStud
February 8th, 2007, 12:22 PM
My wife used to be an athlete and did hurdles in HS. 2 kids took a lot out of her body and I'm am always telling her to get some workouts in for her heallth--nothing to do with weight. She can't swim far, and is terrified of water since she nearly drowned off of Coney Island back in the day. I'd have been more terrifed to "walk" on coney Island (hope that's not too cutesy or funny for the thread).

However the fact she is less athletic means I have more free time to go swim and such. The kids are getting older and there is some time now but I can't do her workouts for her...I can't nag either.

Now if I had the $ to go with the free time I'd be at alot of meets beyond a 1hr dive.

Rich

PS m2tall2. are you looking for no attached relay buds? Is so what day? I posted on NE thread. I can't PM you here u have it blocked. I assure you my intentionis are strictly serious for swimming, and no flirtation need whatsoever.

The Fortress
February 8th, 2007, 12:23 PM
This is a swimming forum, which is why I'm reading the forum. It would be much easier to dispose of the silliness that permeates every thread than try to avoid reading what appear to be serious swimming threads that get hijacked by the cutesy bologna.

This is a swimming forum. Wonderful observation. If I was another poster, I would say "Congratulations."

As to the "cutesy bologna" or "flirting," to be sure, much is off topic or tangentially related to the assigned swimming thread. I think Rich aka SwimStud already spoke to that issue in a prior post. Some posters are annoyed by it and others obviously find it enjoyable.

However, I'm not sure some of your posting is much different in theory. Many of your posts (not all, I've seen some very helpful and encouraging ones) are written in semi-attack-mode and you seem to like non-swimming topics as well, including government regulation of TFs, the seriousness of drunk driving and the ridiculousness of legal waivers and the legal profession. I personally enjoy reading those posts too, and find your posts witty and insightful and your sarcasm refreshing. (Others might not.) I'm just not sure that they are any less objectionable than the "cutesy bologna." In theory, both types of posts are not necessarily swimming related and people may be forced to read over them to find the hard core swimming minutiae.

In any event, there are many serious threads to participate in and many serious posters. Some posters are both serious and humorous. To each his own. To me, I can take a little humor with my stroke technique or training tips, which my posting shows I take pretty seriously.

knelson
February 8th, 2007, 12:26 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :thhbbb: :thhbbb:

All these silly icons annoy me! :frustrated: :drink: :joker:

The Fortress
February 8th, 2007, 12:37 PM
All these silly icons annoy me! :frustrated: :drink: :joker:

Initial caps annoy me.

I'm sure we're all annoyed by something. Impossible for all posters to be clones.

poolraat
February 8th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Sometimes things get a bit off target here but I am here not only for information which may help me improve my swimming, but also for a break from the daily routine and to make friends.

jim thornton
February 8th, 2007, 01:03 PM
At the risk of melding science and flirtation, perhaps we need to examine this thread on swimming and mating from an evolutionary biology point of view.

Start with the premise that most of what guys do is designed, consciously or not, to attract mates/reproductive possibilities. Granted, when you are settled down, raising kids from your primary pair bond, etc., the impetus for philandering is muted, though arguably not entirely extinguished.

For women, there seems to be at least some drive to mix up the DNA possibilities, vis a vis healthy, superior specimen type guys (i.e., swimmers.)

Names like SwimStud, for example, argue that there is perhaps more than a snifter of this sort of thing going on, albeit subtly: we are all, in a sense, the ventriloquist dummies of our genes and their imperatives.

I don't pretend to know what women want, but here's something to explain why so many of us guys find threads like this one enjoyable (particularly when we get replies from the Fortresses of the swimming world--this, by the way, being another telling name: fortress as something that is impenetrable by anything but the absolutely most determined and vigorous and indefatigable combination of endurance and sprint-swimmer vitality, if that):

The Coolidge Effect, once known as simply the novelty effect, got its named thusly:

One day the President and Mrs. Coolidge were visiting a government farm. Soon after their arrival they were taken off on separate tours. When Mrs. Coolidge passed the chicken pens she paused to ask the man in charge if the rooster copulates more than once each day. "Dozens of times," was the reply. "Please tell that to the President," Mrs. Coolidge requested.

When the President passed the pens and was told about the roosters, he asked, "Same hen every time?" "Oh no, Mr. President, a different one each time." The President nodded slowly, then said, "Tell that to Mrs. Coolidge."

While presenting findings at a scientific meeting, two researchers referred to the "Coolidge effect" and the phrase stuck and has been a fixture in the scientific literature ever since.

So please put me down in the column that likes to read both types of threads: those that seriously discuss swimming, and how to get better at it; and those that resonate in the back of my admittedly reptilian brain for why I even bother to swim at all. Maybe the forum web site guy could install a V-chip for anybody who doesn't want to be exposed to the latter?

For anyone who might wish they had such a V-chip installed when reading the current post, I do apologize!

Women swimmers: please feel free to PM me directly with any form of flirtation you would like to get off your, well, swim-toned chests.

Seagurl51
February 8th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Yes, we're all swimmers or on the way to becoming swimmers, but we're people first. It's human nature to build relationships, seek acceptance, and be part of a society that meets your needs. As far as I can see, the needs of people of this forum (be it encouragement, tips, advice, friendship) are all being meet, often simultaneously. If I didn't consider the people on this forum my friends I most likely wouldn't listen to half of what was said, why would I want to listen to a complete stranger tell me I'm doing something wrong. There have been several times when I was afraid to post for fear of seeming uneducated, but because of the warm nature of these forums I posted anyway. Without the little sidebars, it'd be impossible to know the personality of the people you were talking with and make the information seem less relevant, and at times, pretty harsh. But becuase of these NSR excursions it allows you to get a sense of people's humor, sacarism, and over all knowledge. While we exchange knowledge about swimming, I've learned a lot about life in general. I'm young and trapped in a small town in Idaho, so being able to hear about life from more experienced people across the country, whether it be tied to swimming or not, is incredibly beneficial.

I think it's great that we've build such a community, something that would have been near impossible if we stuck strictly to facts and figures. And while threads to occasionaly get hi-jacked, the information that was being saught in the first place is usually given. Hi-jacking usually occurs when a thread has been around for a while and all the information needed has been given. And if not, the original poster or anyone else can post back on topic and it will be answered. Hi-jacking isn't an end-all for a thread.

aquageek
February 8th, 2007, 01:09 PM
We also like to come here to just socialize a little.....

A little, have you been on the forum much lately?

Actually, Fortress doesn't annoy me, when she sticks to swimming. Gull is a big annoyance but I've taken care of him for the time being. I gotta get scyfreestyler in line soon as well, he's on my list.

knelson
February 8th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I'm sure we're all annoyed by something. Impossible for all posters to be clones.

I was kidding, but I must say I don't really "get" the dancing banana and that "dead horse" one is just too big!

SwimStud
February 8th, 2007, 01:16 PM
A little, have you been on the forum much lately?

Actually, Fortress doesn't annoy me, when she sticks to swimming. Gull is a big annoyance but I've taken care of him for the time being. I gotta get scyfreestyler in line soon as well, he's on my list.

Keep it up you'll be getting a visit from 3 spirits...

The ghosts of Olympics Past, Present and Future...

SwimStud
February 8th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Names like SwimStud, for example, argue that there is perhaps more than a snifter of this sort of thing going on, albeit subtly: we are all, in a sense, the ventriloquist dummies of our genes and their imperatives.

There is no sniftering going on anywhere. SwimStud was created by poolraat and everyone else jumped on it. It's always been a mocking name. I mean have you seen me in a jammer?..hardly Olympic...

jim thornton
February 8th, 2007, 01:27 PM
SwimStuddom is not a physical thing; it's a state of mind. Regardless of your corporeal jammer state, I think the name fits!

I'd excerpt a quote I read yesterday from a college student "working girl" along these lines, but I think perhaps such a reference might get me banned or at least forcibly V-chipped against my will.

newmastersswimmer
February 8th, 2007, 01:35 PM
All these silly icons annoy me! posted by Kirk Nelson

Cool. I love to annoy people....thanks for letting me know its working...LOL!!:rofl: :rofl: :banana: :banana: :dedhorse: :dedhorse:

(of course you know not to take anything I say seriously by now...right Kirk?)

posted by AquaGeek

You mean I'm NOT on your list too?? Come on your joking right?

I don't pretend to know what women want, posted by Jim Thorton

How about "The Real SwimStud" does that have any sexual implications attached to it?...(If not I can change it to something worse).

And as far as knowing what women want Jim,....I'll help you out a bit....They want me of course!!...:rofl: :rofl:

Newmastersswimmer

The Fortress
February 8th, 2007, 02:02 PM
At the risk of melding science and flirtation, perhaps we need to examine this thread on swimming and mating from an evolutionary biology point of view.

something that is impenetrable by anything but the absolutely most determined and vigorous and indefatigable combination of endurance and sprint-swimmer vitality, if that).

Well, it's about time we had a little Darwinism thrown in. I always like to admire the little fish with legs on the back of cars. No V-chip for me either. I'd rather read about Coolidge and biology or whatever some swimmer has on his or her mind, whether it's in the gutter or not.

The above-quoted description oddly describes my husband ... except that he is/was a marathoner and crew jock. Despite my Feistressness, I am roundly derided for my sprinting by all family members.

Geek:

I thought you were enjoying our NSR discourse on the "Starting Block Annoyance" thread. I recall you stated that you enjoyed the alleged "exposure of [my] ignorance" and I responded that I likewise enjoyed "exposing" yours. It's too bad we can't have these little battles anymore ... I'm sure there must be someone better to pick on than scyfreestyler though. If you use that potent Mind of yours, I'm sure you'll think of someone.

Now, as to the assigned topic, I think I'll go ahead and annoy Geek more by boring him with a swimmer dating story. When I was a wee freshman in college, I had my heart broken by the captain of the U of MN swim team. Apparently, I wasn't "perfect." Although I'm not, I think I was just across the country and some Darwinistic, reptilian urge to date and flirt caused him to think singledom was a superior state. I got revenge the next summer by dating an even faster swimmer -- which helped since I had to see Mr. Captain every day while we lifeguarded at jaegermeister's outdoor pool.

Muppet
February 8th, 2007, 02:04 PM

I'm going to dissertate on the topic here. I have had experiences dating swimmers and non-swimmers, athletes and non-athletes, and all experiences are mixed.

It does kind of drive me crazy to see people drive themselves into unhealthiness by not doing something physical, but then again, I am the opposite extreme, participating in any sport I can get my hand on. Plus I understand that some people are so busy that there just isn't any time to exercise (ie architect majors in studio, med school students, etc.).

As folks have mentioned, so much of this depends on the people. Personally, I am pretty laid back, but also very competitive. I like to do well, and I don't like falling short/ losing, but at the same time, the latter is not the end of the world.

Current swimmer GF smoked me in the 200 back last weekend. I smoked her in the 100 free (in adjacent lanes). We both realize where our places are compared to each other, but as was mentioned earlier, in the end, I'm competing against the dudes and her the chicks.

Now I will say I was jealous of her this summer when she started hauling in Worlds medals. Though we're near the same speed, she's obviously really fast for a girl, whereas I am not *yet* to elite-level fast;). She had a lot of chances for medals at Worlds, whereas I was no-where close to medaling in most of my events. However, when presented with my chance, I made a massive timedrop (and seed drop) and snuck into 10th in the 400 Free.

We both push each other in practice and encourage each other in meets. Plus, I always have a cohort to destroy the buffet after the meet :) :dedhorse:

knelson
February 8th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Plus I understand that some people are so busy that there just isn't any time to exercise (ie architect majors in studio, med school students, etc.).

I disagree with this. There's always time to exercise if you make it. Some people choose not to but it's a cop out IMO.

newmastersswimmer
February 8th, 2007, 02:58 PM
fortress as something that is impenetrable by anything but the absolutely most determined and vigorous and indefatigable combination of endurance and sprint-swimmer vitality, if that): posted by Jim Thorton

Ah...What did you just say there Jim? :confused: :confused:
Have you been taking writing lessons from that Northern Sesquipedalianist Cruise or something??:rofl: :rofl:

discretionary income...never heard of that... posted by Richie Rich

Sounds like a classic example of an oxymoron to me...kind of like "military intelligence".

Newmastersswimmer:banana: :banana:

SwimStud
February 8th, 2007, 04:09 PM
I disagree with this. There's always time to exercise if you make it. Some people choose not to but it's a cop out IMO.

Between 1999 and 2004 I worked full time, and studied for my degree. I hit the books after dinner each night and went to bed. I went to class 3 nights a week minimum, and sometimes on Saturdays too. I also had a wife and 2 kids to try to spend time with.

I'd manage a few pick up games of Football (soccer for you guys) in summer for a few weeks outside of summer semester but a regime was out of the question.

Yeah perhaps you could find time do a little bit but the impact would not be that significant. I didn't have an hour 3 x a week to go workout unless I gave up something else.

aquaFeisty
February 8th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I married my (masters) coach. :D

It's usually a good thing... both understanding wanting to train, not smelling the chlorine fumes. Tough when one person is injured (usually me) and can't swim when the other heads off to practice. Now that we have a kidlet, we run into trouble when we want to swim the same event at meets (trying to balance who gets to swim down and who doesn't) :) As our toddler gets older, I can see it will become more of an issue balancing meets and training time because we won't just be able to drag her along to our events. She will be dragging us to her stuff... I think this happens to everyone with kids, though, not just swimmers!

On the bright side, it is nice to both agree that swim meets are a great thing to plan family vacations around!!

3degree
February 8th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Just from lurking in the background and watching it all:

In light of (at least one) opinion(s) (and not mine) and to address the "concern" that the posts get off topic onto non-swimming related items/banter/flirtations/dating habits etc., Would it be possible to set up a section of the forums outside the "general discussion" area for just these sort of off topic discussions. Another forum/subforum if you will... where maybe 'not anything goes'-- but other non swimming areas could be discussed. Tend to see this in a lot of other forum setups...... Threads could then be moved over there when a moderator (do we even have those??) notices that a thread has strayed (or someone complains... hmmmpphh!) People could then feel free to discuss anything and everything with fellow swimmers and not just focusing on stroke mechanics and TI or starts or meet jitters or chlorine's effect on the skin, etc.

Just a thought. Don't know who to petition to follow up on this.

scyfreestyler
February 8th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I'm sure there must be someone better to pick on than scyfreestyler though.

It's okay...I am prepared for whatever might be thrown at me around here. Bring it on chaka khan! :laugh2:

gull
February 8th, 2007, 04:51 PM
"In light of (at least one) opinion(s) (and not mine) and to address the "concern" that the posts get off topic onto non-swimming related items/banter/flirtations/dating habits etc., Would it be possible to set up a section of the forums outside the "general discussion" area for just these sort of off topic discussions. Another forum/subforum if you will... where maybe 'not anything goes'-- but other non swimming areas could be discussed."

Great idea. Perhaps one of the runners' forums would set aside some space for those of us who swim and don't want to talk about running.

3degree
February 8th, 2007, 05:13 PM
[QUOTE=gull;
Great idea. Perhaps one of the runners' forums would set aside some space for those of us who swim and don't want to talk about running.[/QUOTE]

Gull,
I see that you were being completely facetious..... but Thank you for directly addressing my point and providing great examples--

Take a look out on the Runner's World Forums http://forums.runnersworld.com/eve and you'll see that there is a much more specific organization for training, equipment, types of runners, races, etc. AND a forum entitled:
Letters And Opinions
A general running forum for all topics. Not for the faint of heart. For mature or very immature audiences only.

Ok, not enough-- Look out on the Cool Running Forums and AGAIN :dedhorse: you can find a section:

Clubhouse
An anything-goes gathering place for discussion of all things: great thoughts, jokes, philosophical musings, silly questions and high-test camaraderie.

Need I go on....

gull
February 8th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Actually it's a pretty good idea. You're suggesting a place where we could post celebrity death notices, look for dates, etc. Take it up with the webmaster.

aquageek
February 8th, 2007, 05:57 PM
There are plenty of social networking forums out there but precious few swimming sites, especially ones for adults. Keep the kissy kissy out of here, unless it's to comfort gull on the downfall of his favorite astronaut.

Seagurl51
February 8th, 2007, 06:06 PM
We set up a NSR board the last time this issue arouse. It boomed for awhile, but has since died. People always came back here because there is more people, and it's one less site to add to your list of things to check and keep up on. I agree that we should have a sub-forum for off topic things. It's just more convient and then everybody can post without having to leave the Master's site.

Anyways, here's the link: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/USMSNSR/
A few of us from here "moderate" it, so if you want just apply and we'll gladly let you in.

knelson
February 8th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I didn't have an hour 3 x a week to go workout unless I gave up something else.

I never said you wouldn't have to give up something else! Sleep seems to be the usual thing that gets nixed (even more).

Seagurl51
February 8th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I was looking around at the posts as of late....and in great risk of looking like a heartless b*tch, though please PLEASE let me assure that is not my intention in any way shape or form....it seems like the complaint about non-swimming related threads is biased.

People have posted about family medical issues or personal tradegies (which are horrible to have to go through and it's incredible the support that is given), but when these are posted no one makes a fuss about them not being swimming related. However, when a few people want to try and have a little fun and lighten things up a bit, they are labeled as hi-jackers and ruining the content of the forum. If non-swimming related things are to not be tolerated, it should be for everything rather than a double standard.

Again, I'm not attacking the people who have posted such things, they are terrible tradgies and incredible experiences and my thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved.

FlyQueen
February 8th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Kyra, you totally seem like a heartless wench ... I've been meaning to talk to you about that ... :thhbbb: :joker:

and for good measure ... :dedhorse: :banana:

Seagurl51
February 8th, 2007, 06:26 PM
and for good measure ... :dedhorse: :banana:

You're even dancing on my grave...wow....:shakeshead: :eek:;)

The Fortress
February 8th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Just from lurking in the background and watching it all:

In light of (at least one) opinion(s) (and not mine) and to address the "concern" that the posts get off topic onto non-swimming related items/banter/flirtations/dating habits etc., Would it be possible to set up a section of the forums outside the "general discussion" area for just these sort of off topic discussions. Another forum/subforum if you will... where maybe 'not anything goes'-- but other non swimming areas could be discussed. Tend to see this in a lot of other forum setups...... Threads could then be moved over there when a moderator (do we even have those??) notices that a thread has strayed (or someone complains... hmmmpphh!) People could then feel free to discuss anything and everything with fellow swimmers and not just focusing on stroke mechanics and TI or starts or meet jitters or chlorine's effect on the skin, etc.

Just a thought. Don't know who to petition to follow up on this.

I think this topic was previously discussed in the thread: "Suggestions: Moderator." It just makes more work for the moderators. I think Kirk suggested in that thread that some threads could be designated "NSR." Som are. My question is, if you're not interested in the title of the thread (such as this one), why bother reading and posting here? Just ignore it, and look for more serious stuff.

Maybe we label the new possible subfora "swimming with humor" and "humorless swimming." Or the serious folks could go the TI forum where Kaizen has promised that there is only a discussion of swimming as high art and no inanity whatsoever. But Kyra's right, aside from the "kissy kissy," even Geek engages in many NSR non "kissy kissy" posts. Now, I'm off to swim practice to get some and, if I feel like it, I may post on the "Learn to Fly" blog later, which if Geek actually read it (maybe he did), he would see that it contained some valuable info.

Gull:

Just because you can't run or beat Geek in the 500 free, doesn't mean others of us can't discuss our dual swimming/running habits. I think even Geek is on the treadmill now. That's probably how he lost all that weight. Otherwise, I'm sure you would have beat him.

knelson
February 8th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Maybe we label the new possible subfora "swimming with humor" and "humorless swimming."

I like the new word "subfora." :)

I also think we need a new subfora specifically devoted to discussion of butterfrog and elementary backstroke. We could call it the "archaic strokes" section!

aquageek
February 8th, 2007, 07:04 PM
My question is, if you're not interested in the title of the thread (such as this one), why bother reading and posting here? Just ignore it, and look for more serious stuff.

The problem is about every thread ends up being hijacked to some degree by this silliness. I personally don't feel I have to weed through dozens of pointless non swimming related posts on serious threads to get to the meat of the swimming matter. This is why I suggested you use an alternative social networking site, populate it with your swimming friends, and do that stuff there.

A little bit is ok, the amount these days is cumbersome to get through.

jaegermeister
February 8th, 2007, 09:38 PM
I think the forums are great just the way they are. The whole spectrum. Yes, we even need our difficult moments. :(
There is a lot of great swimming info, there is a lot of humor that is specific to masters swimmers, and a lot of great inspiration. Where would that go??? NSR???
Anyone with a little sense can find what they're looking for.

SwimStud
February 8th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I never said you wouldn't have to give up something else! Sleep seems to be the usual thing that gets nixed (even more).

Haha Kirk...I found sleep my best ally in studying. I never pulled all nighters...I think that's junk studying. When it was time to sleep I slept.

Did somebody say wench?

The Fortress
February 8th, 2007, 10:36 PM
The problem is about every thread ends up being hijacked to some degree by this silliness. I personally don't feel I have to weed through dozens of pointless non swimming related posts on serious threads to get to the meat of the swimming matter. This is why I suggested you use an alternative social networking site, populate it with your swimming friends, and do that stuff there.

A little bit is ok, the amount these days is cumbersome to get through.

I think it's safe to say that I've read all your posts in the few months. I have yet to hear you comment more than maybe a couple times on stroke technique, swiming theories, your own training, engine/vessel buiding, endurance training, muscular endurance, the desirability or benefits of kicking, etc. In fact, you've been a bit silent since the "Freestyle Stroke Question" thread on any matter of real substance with the exception of the NSR "Big Loser" thread. All of these threads (and many others) have contained many serious discussions. I have read, however, dozens of your NSR posts about waivers, drunk driving, TFs, noodlers, etc.

My point is that your brand of "silliness" is just as irrelevant to "the meat of the swimming matter" as is any alleged social comments or attaboys or just plain and honorable human empathy. Frankly, I think I've asked a lot more pertinent swimming questions and doled out what technical or training or shoulder advice I could a whole lot more than you. So have many other of the joksters or occasional humorists you target. I hardly know any posters besides maybe Kaizen that don't joke a bit. Even Lindsay gives a wink now and again or makes a funny comment that makes me smile. Now, if you'd like to play catch up on substantive swimming issues, maybe I'd take your comments on this thread more seriously. I don't mind your NSR topics. In fact, I enjoy them, as I've stated, but they are NSR. I love your well-timed zings and acerbic humor. But why is your NSR better than anyone else's NSR? Seems very un-Democratic of you ... Kind of a "Kiss my Grits" situation here, in keeping with my empathy for my Southern "twin" Beth. I find it's quite nice to have forum friends, BTW. I'm sorry for you if you don't have more (although I know you have some too). I'm looking forward to meeting folks at Nationals or Zones or anywhere. I think it would be nice to toast Kyra on her birthday.

I wish you'd post more on swimming. I've read many of your old threads. And I'd like to hear your views. You obviously love swiming and train hard.

Kirk:

If we're going to do subfora, let's definitely put butterfrog and elementary backstroke in their own little category of "archaic/ugly strokes."

As to married swimmers, I heard a lot of :argue: tonight on that topic. However, the fact that Aquafeisty married her coach is pretty cool.

ensignada
February 8th, 2007, 10:46 PM
As to what Rich said earlier, ditto, with interest.

If you check my posts, you'll notice that I don't post in the serious swimming threads. I read these threads, have studied some of them in depth in fact. But I'm new to swimming: I don't post in them unless I have a question because I am in a learning and absorbing role.

Most of the time, I want to be part of this swimming community. There are people on this forum whom I want to know, whom I find interesting, engaging and insightful both in and out of swimming topics. If I didn't post on "lighter" topics, no one would know I'm here, a part of this. I swim on my own right now, and it can feel pretty lonely. Chatting lightly with people here keeps me tied to the swimming community and to some fine people while I'm working at it.

While the idea of keeping the forum focused only on swimming isn't itself exclusionary and/or elitist, the tone of some people proposing the idea certainly is. And that frosts me to no end.

The Fortress
February 8th, 2007, 10:52 PM
And that frosts me to no end.

That's because we're powerful women and superhero men and we don't need no stinkin' push up bras. :thhbbb:

Good for you, Barb. Post whenever you want to and keep us updated on your progress. Most people here love to help newbies. I'm pretty newbie myself. Frankly, I like knowing you're here. Especially since you're such a liberal arts brainiac.

No apologies for not being related to "the meat of swimming." Just wishing a fellow swimmer and cool woman well.

scyfreestyler
February 8th, 2007, 11:20 PM
This thread will be on fire tomorrow AM. That is all.

jaegermeister
February 8th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Can we finally get back to the dating bit? I think someone hijacked this thread. :rofl:

The Fortress
February 9th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Can we finally get back to the dating bit? I think someone hijacked this thread. :rofl:

Geek has a habit of doing that. Whoops, just "J/K-ing" ala newmastersswimmer. (Geek: Did ya miss all his recent posts?) I related my NSR "dating" disaster when I was a wee teenager (although we were both swimmers, so it may count as on topic and SR). I'll give you a hint, jaegermeister. Said dumper is also still a relay record holder for your beloved ORCAs from the AAU 70s. So you can go mull that over. If you can guess who it is, I'll give you a gold medal. And you can sit at the table dancing table at nationals (which Geek doesn't know about because he doesn't read the very SR "threadies awards") -- since you like the whole forum, not just bits and pieces of it that are ever so difficult to "weed" through. Boo flippin' hoo.

But is it really OK if we're friends? Is that allowed here?

Not dating anyone currently. ;)

Peter Cruise
February 9th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I finally felt that I had to weigh in on this squabble and I'll save my most pendulous prose for another occasion. I love these forums: they are well-run, enthusiastically participated in and for the most part clearly labelled. On occasion, the most narrow swimming topic gets struck off course, when they stay off course it is usually boils down to a personality conflict, pretty impossible to avoid. These days, such conflicts are handled pretty well, I think. USA Swimming forums melted down when very narrow swimming topics degenerated to name-calling etc. The fact that there is a 'General' forum and people are using the NSR designation should be enough; if someone in particular is 'hijacking' a specific thread, call them on it.
We don't seem to have any of the brouhaha when major meets, whether Masters or otherwise are happening, we are all big swim fans and revel in dissecting what is going on; we have been in the 'dog days' in between lately, but, oh joy, World Champs (open) next month and then Masters Nats shortly thereafter. Celebrate our differences.

aquageek
February 9th, 2007, 05:43 AM
This thread will be on fire tomorrow AM. That is all.

You are right, my friend - with more superhero and bra messages, how could it not be red hot? I've read about myspace, maybe I'll check that place out and look for some swimming content.

Now that Cruise is on this thread I'll have to go pull out my dictionary to keep up.

SwimStud
February 9th, 2007, 07:55 AM
You are right, my friend - with more superhero and bra messages, how could it not be red hot? I've read about myspace, maybe I'll check that place out and look for some swimming content.

Now that Cruise is on this thread I'll have to go pull out my dictionary to keep up.

try facebook too!

aquaFeisty
February 9th, 2007, 08:02 AM
As to married swimmers, I heard a lot of :argue: tonight on that topic. However, the fact that Aquafeisty married her coach is pretty cool.

Thanks! It is pretty cool... most of the time. :D

newmastersswimmer
February 9th, 2007, 09:36 AM
That's because we're powerful women and superhero men and we don't need no stinkin' push up bras. posted by the fortress

You rock FAF Sista!!....That was awesome...LOL!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I know the best way to settle this little problem. Instead of restructuring the rules so that Mr. stiffenstien can read technical manuals about swimming exclusively on this board, why not just get rid of the Geek instead?....Who's with me?

(Is instigating an all out riot a suspendable offense??)

I'd manage a few pick up games of Football (soccer for you guys) in summer for a few weeks outside of summer semester but a regime was out of the question.
posted by Richie Rich

So you like to play futbol (AKA as soccer to Americans) eh Rich? I think we should include a soccer competition now to go along with our swimming challenges....That way I can kick your British behind both in and out of the water. What do you say there Richie?

Newmastersswimmer

The Fortress
February 9th, 2007, 10:09 AM
bra messages

Ah good, back to swimming. I believe the lack of the need to wear push up bras actually helps my swimming. Less to lug around, helps with drag resistance. All good stuff. On topic, the lack thereof didn't seem to unduly hinder my dating or marriage prospects either. If it did, the person would obviously need to be drop kicked or ignored.

I'm sorry you'll be forced to pull out a dictionary, Geek. I won't. The forum would be much more dull without your former lard bombing nemesis' purple prose.

I personally don't go to facebook or myspace or even running forums anymore. Tempted to go to Solar Energy's forum, but I can only handle so many addictions. Swimming is my drug of choice at the moment.

I don't want Geek to leave the forum, Jim. It would lessen the entertainment value of all his NSR posts. As my friend (is this a dirty word now?) said, let's celebrate our differences. I'm still waiting for a Geek post dealing with the "meat of swimming" though (aside from lane etiquette that is).

newmastersswimmer
February 9th, 2007, 10:17 AM
I don't want Geek to leave the forum, Jim. It would lessen the entertainment value of all his NSR posts. As my friend (is this a dirty word now?) said, let's celebrate our differences. I'm still waiting for a Geek post dealing with the "meat of swimming" though (aside from lane etiquette that is). posted by The Fortress

Don't worry FAF Sista friend.....Anyone who has been posting around here for any length of time knows that the Geek is full of it. He's not going anywhere....this is just another one of his silly games to create more controversy on the boards....the guy lives for this stuff. If he is really serious about his recent complaints, then that would make him the biggest hypocrite on the board (since as you've pointed out in several recent postings), The Geek is one of the biggest violators of thread hijacking and blathering on about non-swimming related topics there is (well I guess I am marginally bad at those things too...maybe??...LOL!!). Don't shed any tears for the Geek. Be ruthless like me....its much more fun...LOL!!:banana:
:banana: :banana:

Newmastersswimmer

SwimStud
February 9th, 2007, 10:19 AM
posted by Richie Rich

So you like to play futbol (AKA as soccer to Americans) eh Rich? I think we should include a soccer competition now to go along with our swimming challenges....That way I can kick your British behind both in and out of the water. What do you say there Richie?

Newmastersswimmer

OK. If you're certain, before we play though go read up on Norman "bite your legs" Hunter, Julian "Terminator" Dicks, Ron "Chopper" Harris, Stuart "Psycho" Pearce. I'm Britishe and a defender. This means I am at the aggressive and less skillful end of the Footballing talent spectrum.

I'm not nasty or intentionally vicious, but I won't take kindly to ball juggling or fancy stuff...you get 1 free bit of showmanship...then I'll consider anymore fancy foot stuff a personal challenge.

Up to you...

What does this have to do with swimming though?

newmastersswimmer
February 9th, 2007, 10:25 AM
What does this have to do with swimming though?
posted by Rich

Define swimming exactly?....I was just responding to your recent post about finding time to play soccer as a way to exercise (In response to Kirk's posting about everyone having time to do some exercise)....so its all cool in the fact that it definitely fits the flow of the thread then right?? ....Does talking about whether or not that crazy astronaut chick deserves our prayers have anything to do with swimming?

Newmastersswimmer

The Fortress
February 9th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Don't shed any tears for the Geek. Be ruthless like me....its much more fun...Newmastersswimmer

Hardly. If I started shedding tears, then Geek would be really annoyed with me. Besides, it's not in keeping with my name or nature.

Obviously, Geek's not going anywhere. He likes his status as forum legend. He's probably just cranky because the old flame wars are over and he may be tired of picking on TI. Although, now that I think about it, he did chime in on one of those contentious shoulder threads with a timely zing that made my twin smile. ("Twin" is probably a bad word too ... Too NSR and "kissy kissy.)"

P.S. Ryan Hall recently broke the American Record in the half marathon. I would've liked to see LBJ racewalk in the day.

aquageek
February 9th, 2007, 12:11 PM
I would like to clarify what I have been saying. I have never had an issue with NSR topics and enjoy them greatly. I, however, am totally sick of the rampant flirtation, body part discussing, irrelevant and inappropriate comments made on a swimming forum. That is why I suggest taking that all-too-frequent stuff to another type of forum. It is completely out of control and a new thing on this forum. Not that change is bad, but in this case, it is.

For instance, a while back there was a good thread pertaining to suit styles for women. That is good. The talk of bras and water resistance in the context of marriage proposals serves no purpose. What is the point? Would you want your husband or kids to read that you wrote that?

Further, for those of us who don't care to see all that junk, it makes the forum unwelcoming and a bit uncomfortable.

I'm here for the inevitable pot shots, so fire away.

newmastersswimmer
February 9th, 2007, 12:23 PM

posted by The AquaGeek

How did I know you were going to make this invitation? :rofl: :rofl:

Come on Geek, you know you only brought this up to create a little controversy...admit it! Since when did you become such a total prude Pat Robertson type anyway?....LOL!....Should we also get rid of this emoticon too? :hug: since it is also too kissy kissy?.....I for one can't think of anything more kissy kissy than you and Gull's recent thread. Lighten up a bit my friend!

Newmastersswimmer

gull
February 9th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I for one can't think of anything more kissy kissy than you and Gull's recent thread.

First of all, I lost a bet and had to pay up. Second, that thread was about swimming. The picture was posted to show that Geek is not the Speedo guy (and also that I am the better looking one).

scyfreestyler
February 9th, 2007, 12:41 PM
I would like to clarify what I have been saying. I have never had an issue with NSR topics and enjoy them greatly. I, however, am totally sick of the rampant flirtation, body part discussing, irrelevant and inappropriate comments made on a swimming forum. That is why I suggest taking that all-too-frequent stuff to another type of forum. It is completely out of control and a new thing on this forum. Not that change is bad, but in this case, it is.

For instance, a while back there was a good thread pertaining to suit styles for women. That is good. The talk of bras and water resistance in the context of marriage proposals serves no purpose. What is the point? Would you want your husband or kids to read that you wrote that?

Further, for those of us who don't care to see all that junk, it makes the forum unwelcoming and a bit uncomfortable.

A-Friggin-Men!