PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Physical Challenge

tjburk
February 7th, 2007, 09:58 PM
It seems from hanging around here for a while that most of us have had some sort of physical challenge to overcome while getting back into swimming, mine was the fact that I smoked for about 28 years and it has taken a while to get back into a little bit of shape.

Anybody else? Kind of interested to know what others have had to go through. Some pretty inspirational stories out there!!!!!!!

rtodd
February 8th, 2007, 07:52 PM
OK,

I'll reply before this rolls off the first page. Bad disc in the lower back. I've overcome it by finding swimming and getting off the track. It does not limit my swimming to near the extent for running (I hung up the spikes). This has been my biggest challenge. The mental aspect of knowing I have to train within the limits of my back, not my muscles can be discouraging.

Can't do a backstroke start, and fly aggravates it too much, so I am just free and breast which is coming along OK.

I am really getting into swimming and find it a great challenge since I thought I would swim 100yds in under a minute by now.

I know the back is a big issue for alot of people so I thank God for what I can do every day.

jim thornton
February 8th, 2007, 11:06 PM
It's maybe not the greatest travail to overcome, but the sundry elements in the obstacle course do add up. It started with highly convoluted romantical entanglement gone awry, leaving in its wake all the usual symptoms of serotonin depletion, appetite loss, emaciation, and that snake skin confinement panic that makes you want to molt so bad you can hardly stand it.

This was followed by work distress, a cold, and a cracked molar--my last one left on the lower jaws! I can no longer describe myself as long in the tooth. I am instead low on the tooth--especially the grinders. No pretzels ever again? Gruel and fish paste were to be my new constant companions by the side of the pool. Anyhow, the ejected molar turned into a dry socket; a vial or tow a pain pills and disgusting scooping procedure with dental instruments; and two weeks on a coach later, I was completely deconditioned and lacking in glycogen from a sustained inability to eat thanks to the dental pain and nausea from the drugs.

So back in the pool 2 1/2 weeks later, I now have hypoglycemia after 1000 yards of so, still searching a cure.

Give me a couple weeks and I hope to be back full strength.

gull
February 9th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Someone may need to translate Jim's post for Geek. For example, he may not realize that "sundry" is not the day of the week that he sits on the couch watching NASCAR and eating pork rinds.

aquageek
February 9th, 2007, 08:08 AM
In the past month I have had no serious physcial challenge(r)s, NONE.

gull
February 9th, 2007, 10:20 AM

Touche, Monsieur! Well done.

SwimStud
February 9th, 2007, 10:24 AM

What does this bragging have to do with the thread? TJ was asking for average folks to share their stories of overcoming adversity...
..seems your only adversity is overcoming the "cutesy bologna," which you didn't mention here...

I'm feeling amiable today though so here:
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/web-development/writing/scan.php

Might help.

:thhbbb: :joker:

aquageek
February 9th, 2007, 11:22 AM
What does this bragging have to do with the thread? TJ was asking for average folks to share their stories of overcoming adversity...
..seems your only adversity is overcoming the "cutesy bologna," which you didn't mention here...

Geez, relax, self appointed stud. After all, I was accused of loving pork rinds and NASCAR, when only half of that is true.

shark
February 9th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Mental anguish from 16 years of two a days. I'm tryin' though.

poolraat
February 9th, 2007, 07:45 PM
My biggest challenge is getting out of bed at 5 every morning to get my swim in before work.

On a more serious note though, I quit smoking 10 years ago, quit using "smokeless" tobacco 9 years ago and took up swimming 8 years ago. getting comfortable in the water and learning the competitive strokes (I never swam in my younger years) in my late 40's and early 50's was a real challenge.

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 11th, 2007, 03:37 PM
My biggest challenge was getting back into the pool with a temporary oestomy bag. Like so many other things, you think everyone is watching but then you realize that mostly no one is. Oddly, it was actually easier than it is today to go swim wiht a cold that I've had for 1 1/2 weeks.

Colectomy scars are the best!