PDA

View Full Version : I can see!!

Concho Pearl
February 8th, 2007, 12:16 AM
I've worn glass since 3rd grade, can't see any more than maybe 6 inches.

Goggles helped but only in the water and just enough to see the lane lines and walls. I wear contacts, but never when I swam, until now. I bought those 30 day disposable contacts, on purpose just to wear to the pool, I wear regular daily wear otherwise.

It was wonderful!!!! I can see everything!!!!! :groovy:
The pace clock, people, lanes, even things I don't want to see like people adjusting swimsuits under water. LOL Now, I realized I have to relearn timing out my turns, but that is minor.

I had to laugh, because when I wore them for the first time, I almost was dizzy from just the water movement. I knew the water always moved, but never actually could see it moving from in the pool only from the deck. It was really funny.

I LOVE THEM and if I have a goggle malfunction from a bad start and loose one, no big, I
still have back ups. Can't wait for my meet in April it would be the first time ever not to have to remove my glasses and keep them safe while I swim. :banana:

BillS
February 8th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I'm blind as bat without the contacts I've worn since 4th grade. In my memories of swimming as an age grouper and in high school without them, everything is foggy and out of focus, and I remember jamming a lot of turns, and being worried about whether I was in the right lane at the start, etc. etc.

I graduated high school in '78, when people were just starting to wear goggles in races. When I started swimming again as an adult, I experienced the same revelation as you. I think I'm much faster as a result of being able to see clearly where I am in relation to the walls. I buy new goggles pretty frequently (every couple/few months) to keep that I Can See! feeling, too.

I've lost a couple lenses here and there, but it's well worth buying new ones to be able to see.

newmastersswimmer
February 8th, 2007, 01:41 PM
I'm glad to hear about that great news Concho! Have you considered Lasik Surgery as well?....Then you wouldn't have to worry about any extra eye accessories.

Newmastersswimmer

poolraat
February 8th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I also am blind as a bat and when I first started swimming everything was a fuzzy blur. I can remember other swimmers saying hello to me and I had no idea who they were until we were face to face. I was considering getting prescription goggles and asked my eyedoc about it and he suggested I try the daily disposable contacts. It was the best advice he's ever given. They are relatively inexpensive and losing one is no big deal. I generally wear a pair for 4-6 workouts so a box of 50 lasts most of the year.

BabsVa
February 8th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Have you considered Lasik Surgery as well?....

I dreeeaaam of this - not having to bother with those lenses - of being able to see from wake up to nighty-night ... ahhhh that must be nice.

People who have done Lasik say great things about it - how easy, painless, and especially quick it was.

And yes, I spend several minutes every time I am in the pool fooling with goggles that let in a few drops and immediately a lens floats away ... grrr.

okoban
February 8th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Concho and Babs,
Jim is right, do the lasik and start a new life (if the doctors recommend). I learned windsurfing and skiing after the lasik. (I came back to my real love -swimming- anyway).

trout
February 8th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Lasik was one of the nicest presents I've ever given myself- especially when it comes to swimming!

BillS
February 8th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I too dream of LASIK -- surfing, windsurfing, swimming, and of course the night bed-sports would be so much nicer -- but, alas, not all the blind-as-bats are candidates. I have keratoconus, an eye condition in which causes the cornea to be randomly thinned and consequently misshapen by interocular pressure. The randomness means the computer cannot predict how to guide the laser cut to correct it, so no LASIK for me. Folks with bad, unstable ketaconus eventually have to get cornea replacement surgery with corneas from organ donors, but mine is stable and not worth that surgery. There is some promising development of artificial corneas which may someday become an option, but probably not in my lifetime.

Of course, the money saved on LASIK is money I can spend on beer.

LizGoldsmith
February 10th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Prescription goggles. At $20 per pair these days, you can't go wrong. Sometimes Lasik still goes wrong.

ensignada
February 10th, 2007, 08:58 PM
I've hated diving from the day I took my first dive. I was terrified of diving off a springboard in high school. In hindsight, I think it was the fact that I couldn't ever be sure of where the board ended since everything was so blurry and every approach a run/bounce of faith. Now that I've got contacts and great sealing goggles, I'd like to try it again...if I can find a pool that allows diving.

AnnG
February 15th, 2007, 11:45 PM
I always felt I became a backstroker because it evened the field - no one could see and I grew up very very nearsighted during my age group and college swimming days. My teammates used to tease me and hide at the other end of the pool, in plain sight but still, if they didn't move I could not see them. I also once tried to start a conversation with a pile of pull buoys on the deck. At age 40 I had Lasik survery and feel that was as much a life changing event as having my children. I would never have attempted open water swimming without the vision correction and now I love doing that. I wore contact lenses for years but had to stop due to a chronic conjunctivitis, guess my eyes finally figured out there was a foreign object in my eyes. If you can wear your contacts while swimming that's fine but I am very glad I had the surgery.