PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions

Justhermz
February 9th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Hi. 21 Male out of California here. I fractured my lowest vertibra which leads to some leg numbness. Excersize has been helping to lower it, two things I can do now are hockey and I'm trying to swim for excersize but am having trouble. I started doing 1hr a day of freestyle, but the numbness in my legs can last for the entire next day. I'm looking for a swim stroke that is entirely arms. I've tried those leg pad things they never seem to be comfortable, do I put the larger side towards the surface or underwater? And if anyone has had surgery for sciate nerve I'd love to hear about it, I want to get back into soccer and seems near impossible :/. Well thanks for any help.

Warren
February 9th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Best choice would be using a pull buoy.

scyfreestyler
February 9th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Backstroke might be the best bet if a pull buoy is not working well for you.

SwimStud
February 9th, 2007, 10:58 PM
GO easy with the pull buoy. I have 3 herniated lumbar discs. The buoy aggravated the area...just go slow and incremental. I have quit football(soccer) b/c of the discs... but I played league up until I was 36...so I can't moan too much.

Warren
February 10th, 2007, 12:51 AM
GO easy with the pull buoy. I have 3 herniated lumbar discs. The buoy aggravated the area...just go slow nd incremental. I have quite football(soccer) b/c of the discs... but I played league up until I was 36...so I can't moan too much.

this is america. I'm just kidding. but if siwmming is hurting your back dont do it.

scyfreestyler
February 10th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Futbol and Futbol Americano.

Peter Cruise
February 10th, 2007, 01:24 AM
It almost goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, that gentle stretching esp. in large muscle groups in your legs should accompany any rehab that you do.

FlyQueen
February 10th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Pull bouys hurt my back, I never use them, or almost never. I would avoid fly and breaststroke for sure, back and free might help, keep your strokes nice and long and make sure when you breathe you rotate your body and don't injure your neck. Also I would advise against using a kickboard, because it very well may strain your back.
Just my :2cents:

SwimStud
February 10th, 2007, 10:12 AM
It almost goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, that gentle stretching esp. in large muscle groups in your legs should accompany any rehab that you do.

Amen Peter. I'mnot as religous as I should be about it but I'm doing more now that I am swimming, which is yet another good thing. Keep the hamstrings loose eases the pullin on your pelvis and lower back. Not a cure-all but a definite helper.

For the record:
Association Football
American Football
Rugby Football

Soccer is a not a real sport :thhbbb:

chaos
February 10th, 2007, 10:26 AM
I returned to swimming 9 years ago mainly for lower back rehab. My experience is this:
-Kickboards......BAD!
-Freestyle....GOOD provided you keep your head and neck aligned when you breathe (roll, don't lift)
-Pull Buoys... not necessary, if you keep your head down, your legs shouldn't drag (kicking or not)
-ART and ROLFING....GOOD (hurts but grin and bear it)
-Also try to engage the lower abdominals for everything!

good luck

rtodd
February 10th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I returned to swimming 9 years ago mainly for lower back rehab. My experience is this:
-Kickboards......BAD!
-Freestyle....GOOD provided you keep your head and neck aligned when you breathe (roll, don't lift)
-Pull Buoys... not necessary, if you keep your head down, your legs shouldn't drag (kicking or not)
-ART and ROLFING....GOOD (hurts but grin and bear it)
-Also try to engage the lower abdominals for everything!

I couldn't agree more with this post. Pull buoys hurt my back when I tried them. Concentrate on core development and alignment. It prevents nerve aggravation in my back.

Backstroke is not hard on my back, but a backstroke start is. If you do backstroke in an IM, you don't have a backstroke start, but you have to do fly and that bothers my lower back. Too bad because I like it. I am picking breast as my second stroke. If I concentrate on core alignment and don't let my form go bad, it is OK on my back. I think the trick is to not overpower your kick. I feel it is a good stroke to give my shoulders a break from free. You use chest of course, but the ROM is different from free and I think it is a nice alternative.

If you broke your back and have leg numbness, you need to follow the direction of doctors. If you are not a conditioned swimmer, your form can fall apart in a one hour swim and this can lead to problems. Take it slow. How long ago was your back injury?

Justhermz
February 10th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It's been broken for two years. It's instable only moved to a phase 1 I think. Anyways I would listen to my surgeon, but he spent all of about 5 minutes looking at the xray and giving me advice. I go to physical theorpy the 15th so they should be able to help me with stretching as I'm very stiff, again thanks for the help I appreciate it.

ensignada
February 10th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Anyways I would listen to my surgeon, but he spent all of about 5 minutes looking at the xray and giving me advice.

It might be to your benefit to get a second opinion to either confirm or question your surgeon's advice if you haven't already done so. Many docs have seen certain injuries so many times that their advice might seem cursory but is instead rooted in experience.