PDA

View Full Version : Anyone not too injured to come to Colonies Zones?

The Fortress
February 11th, 2007, 11:16 PM
There seem to be a lot of sad injury reports out there. Is anyone well enough to come to Colonies Zones? I would ask the same question about Nationals, but it might be too early? I was just bummed to read that both Smiths are injured, Born2Fly is injured, Allen is kicking only, my twin is injured and on the comeback trail, there are a lot of sore shoulders, and Julie and Rich have back problems. To name just a few. Will anyone be healthy (besides my secret nemesis that is)? Who's coming and what events are you swimming?

P.S. Dave: The defective sauna in the deep pool is being replaced by a sauna near the warm down/rec pool. So you can always "warm up" certain body parts there if you choose. ;)

SwimStud
February 11th, 2007, 11:31 PM
I amim to be there...with my video camera! :D

The Fortress
February 11th, 2007, 11:42 PM

But the question is, who will you be filming?

I know several who have stated their intention to come, but you never know ... with all those injuries and whatnot.

What will you swim besides breaststroke? It is a 2 day meet. I see the 50 fly is well before the 100 breast on Sat. I guess maybe the 50 free is out since it's right after the 50 breast? Or are you not averse to back-to-back events? Oh, darn, I see that 100 IM you're aiming for is right before the 200 breast. There are a lot of heats of 100 IM though ...

SwimStud
February 11th, 2007, 11:48 PM
But the question is, who will you be filming?

I know several who have stated there intention to come, but you never know ... with all those injuries and whatnot.

What will you swim besides breaststroke? It is a 2 day meet I see the 50 fly is well before the 100 breast on Sat. I guess maybe the 50 free is out since it's right after the 50 breast? Or are you not averse to back-t0-back events? Oh, darn, I see that 100 IM you're aiming for is right before the 200 breast. There are a lot of heats of 100 IM though ...

I'll see how my training goes. I should have deck entered the IM 100 today. Another guy said to me to give it a shot but I'm being a little cautious with my back and Fly right now. I'll practice it a few times.

I'll probably do the 50 free if it's AFTER the breast. If we're going fast to slow heats I should be fine. I'll just warm down continually. After all I have to live up to SwimStud...right?
/flex

jim thornton
February 11th, 2007, 11:57 PM
I will do my best to make it. You will be able to recognize me by visualizing a young Marlon Brando in his white t-shirt, Stellaaaaaaa! screaming mode.

This is very much what I look like, on the inside.

I actually got my lifetime bests in the 500 and the 1000 in that pool at a relatively late lifetime age: 5:15.49 and 11:09.24. On the first length of the 1000, I crashed into the wall (I tend to swim with my eyes closed, looking up when I know I've done enough strokes to reach the wall. The dive and the body suit i was wearing thru me off. The crash swelled up my wedding ring finger so badly I thought I'd get gangrene, but it did wake me up.

The other thing is that the bulkhead that separates out the two 25 yard courses in a 50 meter pool doesn't go down very far, so the line recedes under the bulkhead. That threw me off too. This year, I shall be on to such tricks!

Julie Roddin
February 11th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Is anyone well enough to come to Colonies Zones? I would ask the same question about Nationals, but it might be too early?

and Julie and Rich have back problems.

I'll be there for sure! My back (as you saw this weekend) is WAY better!!! I feel so much better than I did a week ago. I'm still going to take it slow and not push too hard.

For Zones I plan to swim all three days and will likely be doing the same events I always to there...
200-500-1650 Free
200 Back
400 IM
Maybe either the 100 Back or 200 IM. But the 100 Back is RIGHT after the 400 IM and I didn't have any time to make it to the warm down pool in between last year and had a really rough 100 back because of that. And the 200 IM is right before the 500 Free, but with all of the heats of the 500 before mine I should be fine.

I'm in a new age group now so looking forward to a new set of team records and hopefully some top 10 times this year. And I'm really looking forward to pacing my 1650 better this year and not feeling like I have nothing left at the 1000 mark. Fort got to see my pacing issues first hand this weekend during a set of 5 x 100 free descend on 1:20. I went 1:07, 1:09, 1:12, 1:12, 1:14. Oops!

I'm also signed up for the Albatross Open on March 24. I actually signed up for the 200 breaststroke. I wanted a 4th event at this meet and it was either that or the 200 fly so I somehow rationalized the 200 breast. My thought was that I could use some experience for the breaststroke leg of my 400 IM. I'm NOT good at breaststroke, but can hold myself together for a 100 in the 400 IM. Towards the last length, I can hardly stay under for a pull out. Plus, the team record in 200 breast is well within my reach so I figured "why not?!?"

I definitely won't be at Nationals. I'll be in Honolulu that weekend. I do want to do a Nationals meet sometime. Maybe in 2008.

I hope to meet some of you at Zones!!!

The Fortress
February 11th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I'll probably do the 50 free if it's AFTER the breast. If we're going fast to slow heats I should be fine. I'll just warm down continually. After all I have to live up to SwimStud...right?
/flex

50 breast (event #49) is before 50 free (event #51). It's seedest slowest to fastest. Lots of heats of 50 free. Very popular event.

As everyone concurs, you are the SwimStud. Especially with that 50 breast time of yours. Most impressive.

Julie Roddin
February 12th, 2007, 12:01 AM
The other thing is that the bulkhead that separates out the two 25 yard courses in a 50 meter pool doesn't go down very far, so the line recedes under the bulkhead. That threw me off too. This year, I shall be on to such tricks!

The registration form says that the 1000 is in the deep end so you won't need to worry about the bulkhead this year :)

The Fortress
February 12th, 2007, 12:06 AM
I'm also signed up for the Albatross Open on March 24. I actually signed up for the 200 breaststroke. I wanted a 4th event at this meet and it was either that or the 200 fly so I somehow rationalized the 200 breast. My thought was that I could use some experience for the breaststroke leg of my 400 IM. I'm NOT good at breaststroke, but can hold myself together for a 100 in the 400 IM. Towards the last length, I can hardly stay under for a pull out. Plus, the team record in 200 breast is well within my reach so I figured "why not?!?"

Well, I'd rather go to Honolulu too, if I had the option.:rofl:

200 breast? Isn't that right after the 200 back? The Albatross meet is so odd. All the 200s are at the beginning and all the sprints are the second half. The 100 back would at least give you a modicum of rest after the 200 back, but I guess that's right before the 200 free. I'm thinking of bagging backstroke altogether, although it's all I swam at Albatross last year ...

As to colonies, I'm still mulling my options. But I think it's safe to say we won't be swimming any of the same events. Don't worry about the 400 IM. BH did that last year and had a great ranking, as you know. No pullouts on the second 50 of the breast segment. No oxygen. Still amazing time.

Jim:

What is this distance nonsense? I thought you were doing the 100 and 200 free events? Isn't that what you posted in lifetime bests? So you're a distance freestyler? Hmmm.... Don't worry, not many waves get through that bulkhead. Although I will admit I had some trouble with flip turns for awhile. Turns are not my forte. Sucks for a fortress sprinter.

Julie Roddin
February 12th, 2007, 12:23 AM
200 breast? Isn't that right after the 200 back?

I'm skipping the 200 back at Albatross. I would rather just stick to swimming it at Zones only. At Albatross, I'm in the 200 IM, 200 Free, 200 Breast and 400 IM.

I'm thinking of bagging backstroke altogether, although it's all I swam at Albatross last year ...

Ok, so I just went and looked up your time from the 100 back last year since we both swam it at Albatross open and we finished .06 apart. I remember my heat being very close, so I went and dug out my heat sheet (I keep them in a binder but am really not sure why I don't just throw them away after the meet) and we were in the lanes right next to each other. I remember that being an exciting race, definitely made me swim fast! You ARE a sprinter, I remember you going out WAY fast in that event and thinking now way am I going to catch her on the second 50. We could have a fun little rivalry in the 100 back :)

The Fortress
February 12th, 2007, 12:38 AM
I'm skipping the 200 back at Albatross. I would rather just stick to swimming it at Zones only. At Albatross, I'm in the 200 IM, 200 Free, 200 Breast and 400 IM.

Ok, so I just went and looked up your time from the 100 back last year since we both swam it at Albatross open and we finished .06 apart. I remember my heat being very close, so I went and dug out my heat sheet (I keep them in a binder but am really not sure why I don't just throw them away after the meet) and we were in the lanes right next to each other. I remember that being an exciting race, definitely made me swim fast! You ARE a sprinter, I remember you going out WAY fast in that event and thinking now way am I going to catch her on the second 50. We could have a fun little rivalry in the 100 back :)

So that was you... (I don't keep heat sheets. Only some of my kids.) Har, har. I remember thinking, well at least she's way, way, way younger than me. ;) That was my first ever inaugural masters 100 back so I still have fond memories. I was also just whistling in the wind about a seed time last year. I'm still a rank newbie. I might do the 100 again at Albatross. WD says not to do too many events though, so I haven't sent in my entry form yet. Besides, no rush, I'm not ready to do the 400 IM yet just to piss off Dave Barra. You and BH can have fun with that! Besides, if there is any backstroke involved, I have a swim off with SwimmieAvsFan in the 50 after our close finish at the Sprint Classic. I also have BC-D to contend with who was in my heat of the 50 back last year at Albatross and who's looking to avenge the Sprint Classic ... Maybe I'll ditch them both and just swim against my secret nemesis ... She can't do backstroke at all. So I could go mano-a-mano in the 50 fly and 50 free SCM at Albatross. You can swim against SwimmieAvsFan in the 200 there and at zones. A truly formidable foe.

I think I can get all my 50s in at zones though. (Well, not that yucky breaststroke thing.) Plus, a few 100s. But I'm telling you, you are tee'd up for those longer relays. Have fun! My best event is really a 25 or a 25 SDK with fins. I suck at everything else.

Warren
February 12th, 2007, 12:41 AM
originally I was planning on comming to colonies zones but I found out that it is on greek week so I cant go, however I will be going to the maryland masters winter meet. anyone else going to that?

chaos
February 12th, 2007, 08:10 AM
what a "glass half empty" way to ask.

i will be going to zones. hope to bring between 15 and 20 ADMS team mates with me. we will hit the distance events hard as we did last year and hopefully have enough relays to keep a good team points standing.

the nys chapionships are the following weekend, so my focus for zones will be the longer events. i will save the sprint stuff for states. that will be all the scy for me. after states, its OW 'till Oct.

thanks for askin:drink:

The Fortress
February 12th, 2007, 08:37 AM
what a "glass half empty" way to ask.
thanks for askin:drink:

Hmmm ... Yes, that probably reflects my dour mood of the weekend. Or the serious scarey look of your avatar, that Peter would say reveals your status as flyer. I know you guys aren't injured. ;)

Did you come with 15-20 folks last year too? That's a big road trip. Sounds fun.:drink:

I know you're disappointed ... but I won't be able to swim the 200 fly with you because it's right before the 50 back. Oh darn. But you've got that race on with Muppet anyway.

chaos
February 12th, 2007, 09:04 AM
i think we had about 15 swimmers last year.
most of us will go to zones but not nationals this year.

Caped Crusader
February 12th, 2007, 09:17 AM

I may show up just to see those "diamond calves."

I apologize for bashing your balance avatar. I like this one better. What's with the signature? Is that a reference to a FlyQueen comment? Doesn't seem like FlyQueen is any more likely to roll over than Feistress. I hope Feistress doesn't stay "dour." Boo. I like her sunshiney bon vivant FAF Sista side better. Jeez, I'll even use a :banana: . But I wouldn't want to see her atempt that 200 fly. I'm sure that would be ugly ...

So who are you going to film?

SwimStud
February 12th, 2007, 09:30 AM
I may show up just to see those "diamond calves."

I apologize for bashing your balance avatar. I like this one better. What's with the signature? Is that a reference to a FlyQueen comment? Doesn't seem like FlyQueen is any more likely to roll over than Feistress. I hope Feistress doesn't stay "dour." Boo. I like her sunshiney bon vivant FAF Sista side better. Jeez, I'll even use a :banana: . But I wouldn't want to see her atempt that 200 fly. I'm sure that would be ugly ...

So who are you going to film?

I'm going to make a documentary...a bit like "Supersize me" except It'll follow me on my trek around the US to various swim meets.
Watch out for the new innovation "Speedo-Cam" :eek:

LOL

Caped Crusader
February 12th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I'm going to make a documentary...a bit like "Supersize me" except It'll follow me on my trek around the US to various swim meets.
Watch out for the new innovation "Speedo-Cam" :eek:

LOL

Well, get the good stuff. I understand there will some butterfrog to video there. ;) Not from Forty of course.

The Fortress
February 12th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I understand there will some butterfrog to video there. ;) Not from Forty of course.

I'm generally opposed to drowning.

Le nageur
February 16th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Well, get the good stuff. I understand there will some butterfrog to video there. ;) Not from Forty of course.

What is the butterfrog? You mean butter fly?

The Fortress
February 16th, 2007, 01:11 PM
What is the butterfrog? You mean butter fly?

:eek: :eek:

Another Frenchy? Asking about zee butterfrog?

Frank wrote an informative dissertation about it on another thread. I can't remember which one now. But you can go to the "Butterfrog Video Posted" thread to see what it looks like live.

Are you swimming at zones, le nageur?

Le nageur
February 16th, 2007, 01:14 PM
:eek: :eek:

Are you swimming at zones, le nageur?

Non madamoiselle.

Not this year.