PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have sinus issues after workout?

SWIMEMU
February 12th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I have found that the evenings after I swim my sinuses shut down and I have to hit the Afrin in order to breath and to avoid snoring all night (otherwise my wife kicks me to the basement). I swim in a bromine pool - grew up swimming in chlorine and didn't have this issue. I hear that long-term use of sprays like Afrin will eventually melt your brain. So I need to find an alternative - anyone run into this?

By the way, I've seen allergists and regular doctors. The allergist told me the bromine is an irritant and I should avoid swimming - not much of a choice. The doctor gave me some saline spray that doesn't work.

SwimStud
February 12th, 2007, 11:09 AM
I have found that the evenings after I swim my sinuses shut down and I have to hit the Afrin in order to breath and to avoid snoring all night (otherwise my wife kicks me to the basement). I swim in a bromine pool - grew up swimming in chlorine and didn't have this issue. I hear that long-term use of sprays like Afrin will eventually melt your brain. So I need to find an alternative - anyone run into this?

By the way, I've seen allergists and regular doctors. The allergist told me the bromine is an irritant and I should avoid swimming - not much of a choice. The doctor gave me some saline spray that doesn't work.

I use a saline spray after swims...not to be gross but the pool dries me up.
A hot soup or drink will cause my nose to run after a swim too. You can also use an neti pot to irrigate and flush your bugle any time. Some others here swear by it..

SWIMEMU
February 12th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I use a saline spray after swims...not to be gross but the pool dries me up.
A hot soup or drink will cause my nose to run after a swim too. You can also use an neti pot to irrigate and flush your bugle any time. Some others here swear by it..

Thanks SwimStud - I've tried both of those but well after my workout - like in the evening when I'm having my problem. So maybe a little preventative use would work - right after swimming. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again.

SwimStud
February 12th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks SwimStud - I've tried both of those but well after my workout - like in the evening when I'm having my problem. So maybe a little preventative use would work - right after swimming. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again.

I use the spray when i get home...but right after might be good if you're suffering. Do you have a good hot shower too, or rinse and fly?

SWIMEMU
February 12th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Do you have a good hot shower too, or rinse and fly?

Good point - I'm never in the shower for more than 5 minutes. Another idea to try. Thanks

poolraat
February 12th, 2007, 11:31 AM
The doctor gave me some saline spray that doesn't work.

A doc here that swims recommended that I use the saline spray just before getting in and right after getting out of the pool. It seemed to help.

waves101
February 12th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I've heard that using a nose clip may help to reduce the irritant exposure and allow a faster recovery from the symptoms.

Warren
February 12th, 2007, 01:02 PM
I usally just blow my nose then im good.

scyfreestyler
February 12th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Sounds like you might want to consult an ENT MD. Chlorine is a known irritant for those with sinus problems but I can't speak for the effects of bromine. An ENT would be best suited to handle this for you...that is their area of expertise.

As for the melting of the brain...I think not.

okoban
February 12th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I had the same problem, these might help
Use nose clip in backstroke
Continuous breath-out (both mouth and nose) during the flip turns
Keep the entire body (especailly head) warm after the practice (never stay in a cold place after the practice)
No carpets in the bedroom and at the office
good luck

Peter Cruise
February 12th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Overuse of a decongestant nose spray will indeed eventually produce a kickback effect to further inflame your sinuses. I use an oral sinus decongestant pill that works really well.

What doe your sinus issue? eschew? atchoo?

ensignada
February 12th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I was having problems with recurring sinus infections until I started using a nose clip. I adjusted to it quickly, and I haven't had any problems since.

(if you'll notice, even my avatar appears to be wearing one...)

nancytris
February 12th, 2007, 10:02 PM
My sinuses simply would not stop running or sneezing or allow easy breathing. I was sooooo resistant to using nose clips::shakeshead: : . But I HAD to try something! The nose clips were much easier to get used to than I could have imagined. Now I won't swim without them, and have several in my gear bag in case I lose that one I thought I had not lost!

Hackettoid
February 16th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I have a similar problem, but it is runny nose and sneazing which comes on from 1 - 4 hours after swimming in a chlorinated pool. Outdoor pools seem less of a problem. I have seen an allergist - he says it is not an allergy, because of the delayed onset. I have had some relief by taking 24 hour Claritin D on the day before and day of practice (I only practice 3 days/week). I get very good relief with Benadryl, but that puts me to sleep. I also have a significan skin rash associated with swimming that I have not been able to solve.

merritr
February 17th, 2007, 12:56 AM
I have the same issue. It is nice to know there are others suffering through the same thing. I sniffle non stop ater swimming. Blowing my nose just makes it flow more. I have to use nose spray to breath in order to sleep everynight.

I am supposed to take allergy medicine everyday, but I don't. When I do on a regular basis though my sinuses are a lot happier after swimming. Zyrtec is what works for me.

SwimStud
February 17th, 2007, 09:57 AM
I have the same issue. It is nice to know there are others suffering through the same thing. I sniffle non stop ater swimming. Blowing my nose just makes it flow more. I have to use nose spray to breath in order to sleep everynight.

I am supposed to take allergy medicine everyday, but I don't. When I do on a regular basis though my sinuses are a lot happier after swimming. Zyrtec is what works for me.

have you tried the Neti pot? It kind of clears your nasal passages and gets the nose blowing sniffling all over with in one shot.

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 19th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I have terrible sinus problems. I've had polyps removed twice, I'm constantly blocked, but have terrible runny noses. Friday my doctor put me on a different antibiotic. It is I think Omnicen(sp) It has worked miracles. I can't believe that I can actually breathe through my nose. What a luxury.

Muppet
February 19th, 2007, 06:38 PM
have you tried the Neti pot? It kind of clears your nasal passages and gets the nose blowing sniffling all over with in one shot.

Rich,
What is this Neti Pot thing? I am on my third sinus infection/cold thing in the last 3 months... extremely out of the ordinary as I don't usually get this sick this often.

chaos
February 19th, 2007, 06:42 PM
http://www.healthegoods.com/netipotnasalirrigation.htm?gclid=CP23nu3Nu4oCFQrMP godvUm4uQ

for muppet

swim4me
February 19th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Rich,
What is this Neti Pot thing? I am on my third sinus infection/cold thing in the last 3 months... extremely out of the ordinary as I don't usually get this sick this often.

My dentist recommended it years ago for my sinus issues. It is a little 'pot' - looks kind of like an alladin's lamp. You fill it with warm water (I like it almost hot) and a little kosher salt. Then you lean over the sink and pour it in one nostril. The water and whatever else comes out the other nostril and into the sink. I usually do both sides. Sometimes it takes some time to loosen 'things' up, but I no longer have any sinus issues. I use it less now, mostly when allergins are bad or I get really stuffy. You can buy them a holistic shops or from holistic doctors. Some health food stores also carry them.

Muppet
February 19th, 2007, 09:13 PM
My dentist recommended it years ago for my sinus issues. It is a little 'pot' - looks kind of like an alladin's lamp. You fill it with warm water (I like it almost hot) and a little kosher salt. Then you lean over the sink and pour it in one nostril. The water and whatever else comes out the other nostril and into the sink. I usually do both sides. Sometimes it takes some time to loosen 'things' up, but I no longer have any sinus issues. I use it less now, mostly when allergins are bad or I get really stuffy. You can buy them a holistic shops or from holistic doctors. Some health food stores also carry them.

Yikes, that sounds pretty nasty... I guess thats why antibiotics were invented. I may have to look more into that.

thanks for the info!

SwimStud
February 19th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Yikes, that sounds pretty nasty... I guess thats why antibiotics were invented. I may have to look more into that.

thanks for the info!

It's actually not too bad. Just make sure the salt is dissolved or it get's a bit spicy up your bugle..

Dominick Aielloeaver
February 20th, 2007, 01:32 PM
chaos@ulster.net. Great article. I have been having sinus problems. the Doc, gave me Flonase. It gave me some help, but not enough. So I will try This remedy. Thank you Dom.A in AZ.:drink: :groovy: