PDA

View Full Version : Shaving down

jnbaker
February 12th, 2007, 01:26 PM
How common is it for people to shave down for Master's meets? When I competed in college (a looong time ago), everyone shaved down. I was one of those people for which shaving always made a big difference.

So, do people do it for USMS ? I just started master's swimming, and have a meet coming up. I don't want to be the only shaved swimmer at the meet, and have folks thinking that I'm taking this too seriously..

Thanks for any info.

scyfreestyler
February 12th, 2007, 01:30 PM
If it helps you, do it. Who cares what others think. Good luck to you.

SwimStud
February 12th, 2007, 01:32 PM
How common is it for people to shave down for Master's meets? When I competed in college (a looong time ago), everyone shaved down. I was one of those people for which shaving always made a big difference.

So, do people do it for USMS ? I just started master's swimming, and have a meet coming up. I don't want to be the only shaved swimmer at the meet, and have folks thinking that I'm taking this too seriously..

Thanks for any info.

Although most people have a specific meet in mind and are training to that and will shave for it, I just went through the same dilemma as you for my first meet in 25 years. I shaved down with electric only so I had a little hair left but there were not too many really hairy guys. I didn't look out of place, and would not have had I razored off the stubble.
It was my first meet and I wanted to get a good a time as I could to set the starting point. Anyhow what's wrong with taking USMS seriously. There are a lot of very serious competitors here.

Warren
February 12th, 2007, 01:43 PM
only do it for a big meet and if you do shave, wear a fastskin.

SwimStud
February 12th, 2007, 01:48 PM
only do it for a big meet and if you do shave, wear a fastskin.

Warren, with respect and I know you mean well. I just want to say that a "first" meet in a number of years is a big meet, psychologically as big as perhaps an end of season for a regular swimmer. Also FS is a big investment for a new or returning swimmer who may ultimately decide that competition is not really for them.

;)

Rich

Warren
February 12th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Warren, with respect and I know you mean well. I just want to say that a "first" meet in a number of years is a big meet, psychologically as big as perhaps than an end of season for a regular swimmer. Also FS is a big investment for a new or returning swimmer who may ultimately decide that competition is not really for them.

;)

Rich

yeah I can understand that but im just trying to say, dont shave for every meet.

Allen Stark
February 12th, 2007, 01:59 PM
I shave for my taper meets. Your first meet is a big deal so shave if you want to. Also since not everyone can go to nationals or zones just about any meet you go to will be a taper meet for someone.

SwimStud
February 12th, 2007, 02:08 PM
yeah I can understand that but im just trying to say, dont shave for every meet.

I know warren I kind of truncated my reply there. I mean to elaborate and say that if you get in the swing of it you'll aim for regionals or just your favourite annual meet and shave for it.

Sorry to sound snappy. I didn't want him to feel intimidated about shaving for a minor meet though, mainly.
:wiggle:

aztimm
February 12th, 2007, 02:30 PM
I shaved for just 1 meet, the one time I went to nationals (well nationals came to me). It didn't have any impact on my times, and I haven't shaved since.

We have a few people on my team who use Fastskins, but for as often as I do meets (maybe once a year), it isn't something I'm going to throw that kind of money at.

matysekj
February 12th, 2007, 02:31 PM
John, if you're talking about the Canandaigua meet this weekend, I doubt that anyone else will be shaved. However, that shouldn't stop you from doing it if you want to make a big splash in your first meet. Some people will be wearing fastskins, so what's the difference? No one will laugh and point. Every now and then for local meets you'll see someone shaved and tapered - it all depends on their personal meet schedule for the year.

SwimStud
February 12th, 2007, 02:38 PM
...John, if you're talking about the Canandaigua meet this weekend,...

Too far north and snowy for a soft Western CT resident like me...maybe next year

newmastersswimmer
February 12th, 2007, 02:41 PM
In college we used to shave once in December (right before the holiday break) and once in the Spring at our conference championships.....The only 2 meets I've actually competed in as a USMS swimmer were about 6-8 weeks apart (one was in March and the other was SCYNAts in 2005 in May) and I actually shaved and tapered for both. I shaved for the first meet because I wanted to make the national cuts...and then I shaved for the other because it was nationals. In high school some of us had to shave and taper for regionals to make it to the state championships (you had to place either first or second in your event at regionals to make state)...then about 4 weeks later we had our state championships and would have to shave again....Our coach would make us wear panty hose in between so that we would lose the shaved sensation at practice between regionals and state.

Newmastersswimmer

knelson
February 12th, 2007, 02:45 PM
I shaved for just 1 meet, the one time I went to nationals (well nationals came to me). It didn't have any impact on my times, and I haven't shaved since.

Shaving and tapering makes a HUGE difference for me. I only do the two together so I can't tell you which one is the biggest factor. All I know is I swim much faster shaved and tapered.

SwimStud
February 12th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Our coach would make us wear panty hose...
Newmastersswimmer

C'mon Jim he never had to MAKE you wear them...
Back to you regularly scheduled seriousness now. Sorry but I couldn't let that one go. Rich

newmastersswimmer
February 12th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Rich and the one liners.....I guess you got on me on that one Rich....I don't want to have to write another limerick now...LOL!

Newmastersswimmer

p.s. I like your new signature....I wonder what Heather thinks of it...LOL!

jnbaker
February 12th, 2007, 03:24 PM
John, if you're talking about the Canandaigua meet this weekend, I doubt that anyone else will be shaved.

Yup, that is the meet I am going to. Thanks for the info.

I'll most likely save the shaving thing for some future meet when I'm in better shape. I think for now I'd rather be the slow hairy guy than the slow shaven guy. I probably wouldn't have even considered it, except shaving always made a big difference for me in college and high school.

jim clemmons
February 12th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I've found I can taper for meets about every 8 to 10 weeks apart. I'll only shave for 3 max (1 per course, SCY, LCM and SCM) per year though.

The tapering part is relatively easy once I found I need about 3 weeks of pre-meet resting, sprinting, timed and broken swims. I'll need about 5 to 7 weeks beforehand of heavy duty workouts to get tired enough to justify the taper portion. I could swim "tapered" (in theory) 5 or 6 meets per year at that frequency.

Part of my challenge with shaving more frenquently is that my hair doesn't grow back fast enuf. I sometimes forego a SCM shave.

Superfly
February 13th, 2007, 05:26 AM
When is the best time to shave?
-The day before?
-Just after warmup the same day?
-Other time?

When wearing fastskins...theoretically it would be better NOT to shave...wouldnt it? You practically gets a layer of air between the fastskin and your real skin then...meaning you wil float better and higher in the water...or am I wrong here?

:dunno:

/Per

Warren
February 13th, 2007, 08:15 AM
When is the best time to shave?
-The day before?
-Just after warmup the same day?
-Other time?

When wearing fastskins...theoretically it would be better NOT to shave...wouldnt it? You practically gets a layer of air between the fastskin and your real skin then...meaning you wil float better and higher in the water...or am I wrong here?

:dunno:

/Per

night before is the best time. You deffinatly should shcave if you are going to wear a fastskin.

jim clemmons
February 13th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Only shave the "exposed skin" areas, not skin under the fabric. Hair helps in elevating the fabric (just a little) to allow a minor air gap. This helps in providing a little extra floatation.

Allen Stark
February 14th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I'm pretty fanatic about shaving at big meets. I shave with a razor the night before(in a long hot bath) and then I shave again in the morning with my electric shaver. After the session is finished,if I'm swimming the next day,I'll have another long hot bath and shave again.The next morning it's the electric razor again. That may be more than necessary,but I am fairly hirsute. I heard Amy Van Dyken say she,d shave before prelims and then before finals.She said when she found a hair she missed(and you always find some) she thought"there's another 100th of a second off."I have heard it is better not to shave under your fastskin(for breaststroke I wear a jammer.)If you get a fastskin for a big meet remember they are faster dry,so do not wear them for warmup.

Warren
February 14th, 2007, 09:21 PM
it takes me two hours to shave.

Allen Stark
February 14th, 2007, 09:42 PM
You can shave faster if you use electric clippers first.

Warren
February 14th, 2007, 10:01 PM
You can shave faster if you use electric clippers first.

I do that, Im just slow I guess

poolraat
February 14th, 2007, 10:29 PM
.....If you get a fastskin for a big meet remember they are faster dry,so do not wear them for warmup.

If your events are far enough apart, my coach even recommended changing right after your cool down after each race and drying it out. Start the warm up for the next race a few minutes earlier than you normally would then change back into it just before your heat/event is called.

The Fortress
February 14th, 2007, 10:33 PM
If your events are far enough apart, my coach even recommended changing right after your cool down after each race and drying it out. Start the warm up for the next race a few minutes earlier than you normally would then change back into it just before your heat/event is called.

Yep. That's what I've seen some folks use the hair dryers in the women's locker room for. I haven't tried that yet.

I wonder how long it takes Muppet to shave down?

poolraat
February 14th, 2007, 10:41 PM
...."there's another 100th of a second off."....

Do you really think it makes that much of a difference? I'm pretty much a novice but I shaved for zones last spring and it didn't seem to make a difference in my shorter races. Maybe in the longer ones. The only pb's I got were in the 200 & 500 free.

The Fortress
February 14th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Do you really think it makes that much of a difference? I'm pretty much a novice but I shaved for zones last spring and it didn't seem to make a difference in my shorter races. Maybe in the longer ones. The only pb's I got were in the 200 & 500 free.

I think shaving and wearing a fastskin makes a difference for me in my shorter races. (Maybe it's partly psychological too.) I think a fast pool makes a huge difference too. Along with how many darn events you're swimming. I think you'll go faster at Nationals when you're not swimming loads of events per day each meet. Plus, that pool is supposed to be fabulous.

Or maybe, like me, you've never gotten that taper thing down quite right? Since I swim in so few meets, I tend to rest a bit for each and my training is always de-railed along the way, you know, by sinus infections and whatnot. We had a great December and early January, didn't we?

SwimStud
February 14th, 2007, 10:49 PM
I electric'd only for myfirst meet.
Might electric for NEM.
Will shave with blade for Zones...

poolraat
February 14th, 2007, 10:56 PM
I think you'll go faster at Nationals when you're not swimming loads of events per day each meet. Plus, that pool is supposed to be fabulous.

I hope so. I think I'll only have 2 events each day. Not sure yet which I'll do besides the fly/back/free 50's and 100 free. I need to chose between 100 back, IM or fly for the other 2. And since I coach myself now, figuring out the taper is a real science experiment. My former coach wrote 2 different ones for me, one worked great, the other didn't. I'll probably go through them and see if I can figure out why.

Warren
February 14th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Its a fact that shaving helps phyisicaly and phycologicly.

Just remeber, dont shave the bottom of your forearms

poolraat
February 14th, 2007, 11:03 PM

There's nothing there to shave!!

SwimStud
February 14th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Its a fact that shaving helps phyisicaly and phycologicly.

Not heard that before. Is it a fashion statement, or does it help?

newmastersswimmer
February 14th, 2007, 11:39 PM
what about my forehead...should I not shave that too? :D ...(just j/k around with you Warren).

Newmastersswimmer

p.s. Rich stop worrying about fashion and such and start concentrating on not getting your butt kicked in the 100 IM when I come up to Yankeeville next season!

Allen Stark
February 14th, 2007, 11:41 PM
No it's a propulsive surface so you want maximal resistance. I don't believe it applies to breaststrokers though.

Warren
February 14th, 2007, 11:45 PM
No it's a propulsive surface so you want maximal resistance. I don't believe it applies to breaststrokers though.

I think it still applies to breast. you are right about the resistance thing, the inside of your forarm is what grips the water and the hair helps aid the grip of the water.

poolraat
February 15th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I think it still applies to breast. you are right about the resistance thing, the inside of your forarm is what grips the water and the hair helps aid the grip of the water.

Maybe I'll apply the Rogaine to my forarms too.:rofl:

Muppet
February 15th, 2007, 11:26 AM
I wonder how long it takes Muppet to shave down?
With shaving head, ~2hrs. Going with normal haircut, 1.5hrs. I do the clipping then razoring (no razor to head).

...I have heard it is better not to shave under your fastskin...
I have noticed when I go full-fur, I find several hairs protruding from the bathing suit. Upon yanking, I find they are indeed ones that are attached to my leg, not random loose hairs. Something about that unsettles me about the integrity of the suit, as I feel like security has been breached or something. I will say, however, it is a lot easier to get the fs2 on and off while hairy compared to not.
:dedhorse:

knelson
February 15th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I electric'd only for myfirst meet.

In swimming parlance this is called clipping. If you hear someone say a team or swimmer clipped for the meet that's what they mean.

Ivor
February 16th, 2007, 08:09 AM
We used to have shaving parties - particularly at university.

Strangely these seem to be far less popular in masters.

SwimStud
February 16th, 2007, 08:21 AM
I have noticed when I go full-fur, I find several hairs protruding from the bathing suit.

Mupp is that you "full-fur" in your avatar? You're very cute ;) hahaha

In swimming parlance this is called clipping. If you hear someone say a team or swimmer clipped for the meet that's what they mean.

Thanks Kirk. I though using the clippers was a British term only...well I guess it was at one point. I clipped with bare blades...I actually clean shaved my chest a bit b/c it looked REALLY stupid with a 5 o clodk shadow.

We used to have shaving parties - particularly at university.

Strangely these seem to be far less popular in masters.

Ivor, it's time to lobby for this to be mandatory practice...
Let's push for an amendment to the bylaws!
:laugh2:

How often do folks clip for a meet here?

Superfly
February 16th, 2007, 08:38 AM

This I need hard fact proof for to believe. Compare the amount of time spent in streamline position in breast stroke with the amount of time in the stroke. I think you need to add a dimension as well....level of fur-iness. Scaled like - smoth as a baby all the way up to "Muppet-style"

I see an X and Y axis in front of me with impact on the Y axis and furiness on the X-axis....anyone who can produce such a diagram?

;)

/Per