PDA

View Full Version : Swim for time...or swim for yardage?

blainesapprentice
February 12th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I am gonna be swimming on my own again after we get back from championships, and was wondering how many people swim to finish a premade workout compared to 2hours and im out kinda people?

Warren
February 12th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I am gonna be swimming on my own again after we get back from championships, and was wondering how many people swim to finish a premade workout compared to 2hours and im out kinda people?

swim to finish the workout, just dont make it longer than you want it to be.

scyfreestyler
February 12th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I doubt you will find very many people swimming for 2 hours around here. Anyhow, I generally have a specific yet small warmup and workout in mind that I always finish. After this, I adjust my warmdown to fill in the balance of my time.

m2tall2
February 12th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I usually have to keep my swims within a certain amount of time. Have to get to work, do homework, etc. Sometimes it really stinks. I feel like I've just gotten going and then I have to get out.

I create workouts with that timeframe in mind though. And I use excel to make sure. I calculate out my rest between sets to make sure a 60 minute workout doesn't get to be 75 minutes because I didn't figure in rest between sets.

On most weekends though I'll get at least one day where I can swim for yardage. But even then I usually have a time frame in mind that I know how long the workout should take. However, I'll go over if I haven't finished my workout for some reason or want to work on something more. Or just feel like some extra warm down.

Slowswim
February 12th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I am too new to venture out on my own. I always do a pre-made workout, but usually cut it short or eliminate the warm down due to a 90 minute time limit.

Timed Finals
February 12th, 2007, 02:43 PM
It is a personal choice. If you are going to do a workout - do the whole thing, or edit beforehand. I would not cut in the middle of actually doing the workout - unless you have set a time limit or yardage limit right from the outset. Just my 2c, and honestly I've probably broken it before :)

swimshark
February 12th, 2007, 03:34 PM
There are days when I have to swim on my own and usually it's a "get in as many yards as possible in the amount of time alloted". I usually have just under an hour and try to get in 3000 yds.

Normally I swim 90 min on week days and 120 min on weekends with the kids team. Then it's just swim as I'm told to do so.

Alison