PDA

View Full Version : New Online User Record

A.K.
February 12th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Re: "Most users ever online was 800, February 1st, 2007 at 08:32 AM."
Does anyone know what cause the huge spike to this new record?
I was MIA for a few months and I believe the old record was under 200 in a day.

The Fortress
February 12th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I'm sure everyone is just dying to answer this question. :rofl: (I must confess that I asked Geochuck the same question shortly after I joined the forum, but in a PM. ;) ) I guess I'll go first and get it over with.

Have you missed the BickerFests? Prior to the BickerFests, there were actually some "meaty" SR threads that sparked interest, including the "Muscular Endurance," "How Much Endurance Training?," and the very exciting "How To Train As A Vessel Shaper" threads that got boatloads of views.

But it appears from the threads dating to Feb. 1 that people were very busy writing poetry and limericks on the "Meaning of Swimming Thread" and responding with trivialities to the "Women are Trouble" thread. We are apparently all very shallow (except for those of us who have disavowed that stuff). There was also a large spate of postings and views on the more complimentary threads involving which poster one wanted to "meet" and "race." Plus, Cruise is posting more now and entertaining us with his purple prose.

8:32 am seems like an odd time for a record for online use though ... Is everyone even at work yet?

Anyway, welcome back A.K! We are trying to be civil now.

scyfreestyler
February 12th, 2007, 10:51 PM
I'm sure everyone is just dying to answer this question. :rofl: (I must confess that I asked Geochuck the same question shortly after I joined the forum, but in a PM. ;) ) I guess I'll go first and get it over with.

Have you missed the BickerFests? Prior to the BickerFests, there were actually some "meaty" SR threads that sparked interest, including "Muscular Endurance," "How Much Endurance training?," and the very exciting "Training as a Vessel Shaper" thread.

But it appears from the threads dating to Feb. 1 that people were very busy writing poetry and limericks on the "Meaning of Swimming Thread" and responding with trivialities to the "Women are Trouble" thread. We are apparently all very shallow (except for those of us who have disavowed that stuff). Plus, Cruise is posting more now and entertaining us with his purple prose.

8:32 am seems like an odd time for a record for online use though ... Is everyone even at work yet?

A sign of the times...people are browsing internet forums at work as opposed to home.

SwimStud
February 12th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Re: "Most users ever online was 800, February 1st, 2007 at 08:32 AM."
Does anyone know what cause the huge spike to this new record?
I was MIA for a few months and I believe the old record was under 200 in a day.

Your poll is missing an option: People checking on SwimStud's first meet results.

:lolup: :lolup:

A.K.
February 12th, 2007, 10:57 PM
I'm sure everyone is just dying to answer this question. :rofl:

Thanks for the welcome back,
re:8:32 am seems like an odd time for a record for online use though ... Is everyone even at work yet?
I thought they were all still party animals just rolling in :)
Civility will just squash the individuality.

Julie Roddin
February 12th, 2007, 10:59 PM
A sign of the times...people are browsing internet forums at work as opposed to home.

I just joined just a few weeks ago and have really enjoyed getting to know everyone and looking forward to meeting people at Zones in April.

Funny, I'm actually giving a presentation on Wednesday (if I can make it from DC to NYC tomorrow morning) on the shift in fundraising with online donating and now engaging online communities. Seems that these days everyone is part of some online community.

I joined this forum because it is easy to follow the messages, topics are interesting, everyone is welcoming to new posters like me and it helps me stay motivated and focused on my goals to chat with other swimmers throughout the day.

Was it was 8:32 am eastern time?

The Fortress
February 12th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Civility will just squash the individuality.

Well, there no doubt can be too much of a good thing. But I don't think we're in danger of running out of individuality.

Rich:

Have you not gotten enough attention already today?!?! How many compliments does one need after all? Aren't you happy now that you can crush me in the 50 breast? I may have to swim it again some day, perhaps, if I'm bored, just to see how I stack up. But only if FlyQueen joins me.

A.K.
February 12th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I just joined just a few weeks ago and have really enjoyed getting to know everyone and looking forward to meeting people at Zones in April.

Welcome aboard!

You'll love Zones at George Mason, the pool is fast and the people are great! I went for the first time in 2006 and had a blast.

Warren
February 12th, 2007, 11:05 PM
this is very strange. 8:32 on the east coast is early but it would be 532 on the west coast.

SwimStud
February 12th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Rich:

Have you not gotten enough attention already today?!?! How many compliments does one need after all? Aren't you happy now that you can crush me in the 50 breast? I may have to swim it again some day, perhaps, if I'm bored, just to see how I stack up. But only if FlyQueen joins me.
What are you implying? I just had an explanation for the peak on Feb1...
damn. What, is clean humour now banned too?
:shakeshead: :dunno:

The Fortress
February 12th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Welcome aboard!

You'll love Zones at George Mason, the pool is fast and the people are great! I went for the first time in 2006 and had a blast.

Why thanks. I was there too, along with quite a few other posters (such as Jules, Muppet, SwimmieAvsFan, Dave Barra, etc.) Are you going this year? Julie and I are known to dip our toe in that pool on occasion.

Rich:

I was referring to your second meet, but OK. I'll give you some more attaboys. :groovy: :applaud: :bow: :banana: :applaud: :smooch:

Julie Roddin
February 12th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Welcome aboard! You'll love Zones at George Mason, the pool is fast and the people are great! I went for the first time in 2006 and had a blast.

Thanks! You'll be there too? I did Zones in 2005 and 2006 and actually train at GMU with Fort. It's the best pool in Northern VA and definitely worth the 25-30 minutes drive out there. Hope to see you there!!

SwimStud
February 12th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Julie and I are known to dip our toe in that pool on occasion.

...but not your hair...can't get that wet..:thhbbb:

The Fortress
February 12th, 2007, 11:13 PM
...but not your hair...can't get that wet..:thhbbb:

Does that mean you're not wearing the cap for Zones? I thought it was a sure free second or so? :thhbbb:

Man, you didn't even wait for my attaboys. A.K. will think we are really uncivil. But I guess he won't mind.

A.K.:

Did you just say the word "shoulder?" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Man, you really haven't been around. That accounts for high viewing in December.

SwimStud
February 12th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Does that mean you're not wearing the cap for Zones? I thought it was a sure free second or so? :thhbbb:

Man, you didn't even wait for my attaboys. A.K. will think we are really uncivil. But I guess he won't mind.

A.K.:

Did you just say the word "shoulder?" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Man, you really haven't been around. That accounts for high viewing in December.

LOL Shoulders...

Hehe enough attaboys for me now...I didn't post it for that...

A.K.
February 12th, 2007, 11:19 PM
A.K.:

It's been a while - cold turkey in July 06
We should all own stock in Ortho medical equipment used for the repair in Rotator-Labrum-Impingement etc.... :)

The Fortress
February 12th, 2007, 11:20 PM
We should all own stock in Ortho medical equipment used for the repair in Rotator-Labrum-Impingement etc.... :)

I'm pretty sure you just have bad technique. Like me. ;)

I think Mr. Buchberger 12 is making out like a bandit, selling videos and giving clinics around the country.

Rich:

You know I am just J/K-ing. If it wasn't for your second meet we might all have sat in silence after the BickerFests. I'm just glad you had a great meet and didn't turn into an ogre. Then what would we all have done?

Caped Crusader
February 12th, 2007, 11:41 PM
the very exciting "How To Train As A Vessel Shaper" threads that got boatloads of views.

This was my favorite. I asked a swimmer the other day if they were vessel shaping and they looked at me as if I were nuts. Even better was the tip Ande made from it.

knelson
February 12th, 2007, 11:49 PM
My guess is the USMS forums got linked from some other very popular website and it caused a sudden surge in users online.

Caped Crusader
February 13th, 2007, 12:02 AM
My guess is the USMS forums got linked from some other very popular website and it caused a sudden surge in users online.

That's probably right, but a somewhat dull explanation. What kind of site wants to read our BickerFests and everything else? Tri site?

Peter Cruise
February 13th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Maybe it was the ill-advised Anna Nicole Smith post? Or maybe the search engines put out a new batch of slurp spiders and web bots. Or maybe it was word of mouth re a certain soap opera that was going on...

Warren
February 13th, 2007, 01:18 AM
it had to be a link or something to do with another website because there is no way there was 800 usms people on at 8:32 am east coast time on feb 1.

The Fortress
February 13th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Wasn't that about the time Gull re-posted the picture of Speedo-Man?

A.K.:

What happened to make you go cold turkey in July 2006?

newmastersswimmer
February 13th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Maybe it was the ill-advised Anna Nicole Smith post? Or maybe the search engines put out a new batch of slurp spiders and web bots. Or maybe it was word of mouth re a certain soap opera that was going on...

Posted by The Ranger From The North

Or it could have also been due to the discussion of cross country driving in a swim diaper....I guess we will never know for sure?

Newmastersswimmer

Caped Crusader
February 13th, 2007, 12:17 PM

Posted by The Ranger From The North

I guess we will never know for sure?

Newmastersswimmer

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You're right, "I guess we will never know for sure."

Does anyone know for sure about July 2006?