PDA

View Full Version : Frequency of Shoulder Exercises

aquaFeisty
February 13th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Well, I continue to be sidelined with sinus issues (going to the doc again tomorrow) so I've made a resolve to at least do some core work, basic strength exercises (think squats and lunges) and shoulder stabilization exercises while I'm out of the pool. However, I have no idea how often I should do these, particularly the shoulder exercises?

So...

Those of you that do shoulder strengthening exercises:
How often do you do these? Daily? Every other day? Less?
Any favorite exercises? I do the rotator cuff ones both with (very light) weights lying on my side and also standing up using stretch cords attached to a door knob. I do some other stuff with the stretch cords too.

Thanks for any info!

SwimStud
February 13th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Well, I continue to be sidelined with sinus issues (going to the doc again tomorrow) so I've made a resolve to at least do some core work, basic strength exercises (think squats and lunges) and shoulder stabilization exercises while I'm out of the pool. However, I have no idea how often I should do these, particularly the shoulder exercises?

So...

Those of you that do shoulder strengthening exercises:
How often do you do these? Daily? Every other day? Less?
Any favorite exercises? I do the rotator cuff ones both with (very light) weights lying on my side and also standing up using stretch cords attached to a door knob. I do some other stuff with the stretch cords too.

Thanks for any info!

My turn to help you I hope :) I do RC stuf 3x a week maybe if u do 30 reps go up 1lb max of 5lb. Do you do the 45degree lateral raise too? You can stand or lay and lift a straight arm 45 degrees away from your body. Rotate arm so thumb points to toes for this. Mind those stretch cords don't "PYOING!" ;)

aquaFeisty
February 13th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks, Rich. I'll start out every other day.

I think the exercise you describe is similar to Primary Rotator Cuff Exercises, Exercise #2 on the following site:

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=445&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en-US&mid=700&ItemId=700

But it seems like the range of motion you're describing is less... only 45 deg rotation in total? Start with hands at legs and lift 45 deg, or until they're halfway up between your legs and shoulders? Do you hold a stretch cord when you do this? Like maybe anchor it under your feet?

SwimStud
February 13th, 2007, 04:17 PM

I think the exercise you describe is similar to Primary Rotator Cuff Exercises, Exercise #2 on the following site:

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=445&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en-US&mid=700&ItemId=700

But it seems like the range of motion you're describing is less... only 45 deg rotation in total? Start with hands at legs and lift 45 deg, or until they're halfway up between your legs and shoulders? Do you hold a stretch cord when you do this? Like maybe anchor it under your feet?

If I do this standing, I just turn hands in so palm faces out and thumb down, then from side and marginally forward lift 45. That's what my PT told me to do. I notice the girl in the picture has thumbs up, unless my eyes are decieving me. You can do the same thing laying down too. PT says after 30 reps go up a 1lb; not to exceed 5lb (I guess tube under your tootsies will work). He said you don't want to engage the shoulder delt muslces. You shouldn't feel this too much.
It seems to have helped me without taking a lay off from the pool. My pain was minor anyway...

OK now you have to commute to CT and teach my butterfly ;)

nancytris
February 17th, 2007, 10:33 AM

Thank you so much for this site Rich -- I do not YET have much in shoulder issues, but ocassionally feel a twinge! So these shoulder exercises will surely be helpful.

SwimStud
February 17th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Thank you so much for this site Rich -- I do not YET have much in shoulder issues, but ocassionally feel a twinge! So these shoulder exercises will surely be helpful.

No thank carrie for the web-site :) I just gave her my physical therapist's version of the #2 exercise. Keep those shoulder buff and healthy though Nancy :)

nancytris
February 17th, 2007, 09:17 PM
:frustrated: Whoops -- Thanks Carrie, I find this a helpful site, now if I can just get myself to take the time to do some of these;)

aquaFeisty
February 18th, 2007, 09:10 AM
You're welcome, Nancy!

I'm in the same boat as you... no current injuries, but a little twinge now and then (and a history of past injuries). I actually found that link posted in an older thread on shoulder issues here on the forum. I agree, it has some fantastic info in it! :)