PDA

View Full Version : SCM Top Ten

Allen Stark
February 14th, 2007, 07:46 PM
SCM Preliminary Top Ten is now available. You can see how you did,how your friends did and how your fellow posters did(except for the annonymous ones) SCM is consistently the easiest venue to make Top Ten in,so I recommend Y'all try to swim some SCM meets.

jim clemmons
February 14th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Allen,

There are some missing New England meets. Everyone needs to keep in mind, as you mentioned, "preliminary".

newmastersswimmer
February 14th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Preliminary or not, thanks for letting us know about it Allen. I see my friend the fortress is ranked 3rd in the 50 fly (preliminarily that is)....Congrats Fort!:notworthy: :notworthy: You also have a couple more too that I saw. Now you can't patronize me anymore about wanting to be as fast as me in the fly....LOL!:thhbbb:

Newmastersswimmer :banana: :banana:

Frank Thompson
February 14th, 2007, 08:27 PM
It looks like Greg Shaw's 5 USMS Number 1 Swims were not included in the preliminary list. I believe he set 3 National/World Records in the 55 - 59 age group. They are 100 IM at 1:03.81, 200 IM at 2:21.05, and 100 Fly at 1:00.35 and was real close to records in the 50 Fly at :27.25 and 200 Fly at 2:23.07.

Nice story http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/13123.asp

The Fortress
February 14th, 2007, 09:22 PM
SCM is consistently the easiest venue to make Top Ten in,so I recommend Y'all try to swim some SCM meets.

Congrats Allen! This is great advice. Wish I could take it. :rofl: I have a hard time getting me and my shoulder to meets ... I'll try in March.

Ande's there, of course. My married teammates are both on that list!!! My secret nemesis is on that list too!!!

Jim:

I'm told I'm a backstroker, not a flyer. :rofl: And just for the record, I cannot do a 200 fly and will not ever do one. I'll leave that to you!

Allen Stark
February 14th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Come on Fort. You obviously have discovered it and Top Ten thinks you are a Flyer.Fort's results
50 fly-3rd
50 Back-5th
100 IM-5th
100 Back-6th
Pretty impressive

The Fortress
February 14th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Come on Fort. You obviously have discovered it and Top Ten thinks you are a Flyer.Fort's results
50 fly-3rd
50 Back-5th
100 IM-5th
100 Back-6th
Pretty impressive

Oh thanks Allen. I guess I'm not "anonymous" anymore. :rofl: If I had to list all your top ten rankings over the years, I'd be here all night. :thhbbb:

Now, if only I'd gotten around to swimming the 50 free, maybe I woulda beat out my secret nemesis. You know who she is. ;) Never got my butt in the pool for the 100 fly either. I'm a slacker. You at least have the guts to do that 200 breast. Maybe I'll have you pick my events for my SCM meet in March!

Allen Stark
February 14th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Obviously swim every event you can beat you secret nemesis in. Seriously,you are a sprinter so swim the 3 50s and the 100 IM. Then enter other events depending on the event order.
Remember a sprinter has got to sprint.Sorry to blow your cover,I didn't even think about that.My Bad.

newmastersswimmer
February 14th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I personally suck eggs at 50's....The reason I swim the 200 fly is to make up for my lack of natural speed.....most butterfliers don't like the 200 fly because it is soo hard....If I train hard enough to overcome the drudgery of long distance fly, I can be semi-competitive in that event....whereas I can't be all that competitve in the sprints. I think I would like to focus on the 100 IM though (even though it is a sprint and sprinting is not my strength)....all the recent discussions about the 100 IM has really fueled my desire to become better at it. You have the natural sprinters ability Fort....I envy you.

Newmastersswimmer

The Fortress
February 14th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Obviously swim every event you can beat you secret nemesis in. Seriously,you are a sprinter so swim the 3 50s and the 100 IM. Then enter other events depending on the event order.
Remember a sprinter has got to sprint.

See, more good advice. I can't beat her in breaststroke, so I guess I'll skip that one. :rofl:

The problem with my next meet is that the 50s and the 100 IM are literally all bunched together. I can't swim four consecutive events without keeling over. So, I may have to stop being a slacker and swim that 100 fly. No worries, my cover's been long blown, I think! But just for revenge, I'm PM-ing you the order of events for my next meet and you can enter me. On the upside, no one can now unduly rag on me for not being able to swim a 100 IM when I suck at breast.

Jim:

I envy you! I'd love to be able to do a 200 fly. Did loads of them in my youth when I wasn't just a sprinter. The 200 fly takes real guts. But the 100 IM is very fun. Definitely try that! After all, you've got to beat SwimStud.

Julie Roddin
February 14th, 2007, 10:17 PM
SCM Preliminary Top Ten is now available. You can see how you did,how your friends did and how your fellow posters did(except for the annonymous ones) SCM is consistently the easiest venue to make Top Ten in,so I recommend Y'all try to swim some SCM meets.

Thanks for the tip! I've got a 4th, 5th and 6th :)

SwimStud
February 14th, 2007, 10:38 PM
I envy you! I'd love to be able to do a 200 fly. Did loads of them in my youth when I wasn't just a sprinter. The 200 fly takes real guts. But the 100 IM is very fun. Definitely try that! After all, you've got to beat SwimStud.
Fort, stop baiting...don't make me crush you in fly too...and reply to my PM about the meet willya??...I need event guidance :help:.

P.S. Micromanaging Boss is at work tomorrow...a low post count day for me!

newmastersswimmer
February 14th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the tip! I've got a 4th, 5th and 6th posted by Julieopl

Congrats Julie!....Thats awesome!! So many fast women around here...I feel so immasculated now...As if the new Jim Croce reflectoman avatar didn't do enough damage by itself!...(just j/k of course) :rofl: :rofl:

Newmastersswimmer

BTW Fort....Beating BritWit in the 100 IM will be about as difficult as overeating on Thanksgiving o.k. LOL!!

The Fortress
February 15th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the tip! I've got a 4th, 5th and 6th posted by Julieopl

Congrats Julie!....Thats awesome!! So many fast women around here...
Newmastersswimmer

Of course she did! Look where she's swimming a lot of the time!

Big hand for the Dynamic Duo of SwimmieAvsFan and Muppet from my area. :applaud:

Jeff Roddin doesn't post very often, but he's a stud too.

SwimStud:

I PM'd you. Skip those back-to-back events. Blech. Gotta do a lot of engine building for that.

Muppet
February 15th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Sorry to blow your cover,I didn't even think about that.My Bad.

Fort blew my and AvsFan's... a little what goes around comes around :thhbbb: ;)

The Fortress
February 15th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Fort blew my and AvsFan's... a little what goes around comes around :thhbbb: ;)

Ha, I think you blew your own cover awhile ago, Mr. Distance Freestyler. :thhbbb: All that bragging about aquatic love and whatnot! :eek: Congrats!

I think Jim Clemmons, aka supergirl, was really slacking off this year. I'm not sure we should let him post anymore. LOL.

Muppet
February 15th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Big hand for the Dynamic Duo of SwimmieAvsFan and Muppet from my area. :applaud:

More like Dynamic AvsFan... she cleaned up this year. :applaud:
My big year for SCM was 04 when I was 24. Got top 10 in the 200 back and free, and 400 free - swimming at Colonies Zones in Wheaton, MA with a cast on my arm. I'd say I truly "broke" some records there.... har har har:joker:

Congrats to all the posters with a top 10!!

TRYM_Swimmer
February 15th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Beware of missing times! Two years ago, I swam in a meet that was not "reported to the top ten people" on time, so my times were not included, which would have been my first top ten in over 20 years. I sent the link to the official results, which were available on the web and included the sanction number, but was basically told, too bad, the time was up. The irony is when I brought up my individual results on this web site, the times were there! There should be ONE place to report these things, and a database that sorts this out.

Happy ending, as last year I made it in both 100 SCM Breast and 400 SCM IM.

Congrats to all those making it this year!

Rob Copeland
February 15th, 2007, 10:31 AM
There should be ONE place to report these things, and a database that sorts this out.
Bob, there is one place to report these things and one data base to sort this out. The reasons some times don’t get in are usually because administrative errors by the meet host or the local top 10 chairs. With that said, thousands if not tens of thousands of volunteer hours are expended each year to prepare and publish our Top 10 lists. I applaud all of these hard working folks for their contribution to USMS.

Jeff Roddin doesn't post very often, but he's a stud too. This is likely the first time EVER that “Jeff Roddin” and “stud” have been used in the same sentences, except maybe “Who is that stud standing next to Jeff Roddin?” But I will admit he is the fastest rocket scientist I know.

The Fortress
February 15th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Bob, there is one place to report these things and one data base to sort this out. The reasons some times don’t get in are usually because administrative errors by the meet host or the local top 10 chairs. With that said, thousands if not tens of thousands of volunteer hours are expended each year to prepare and publish our Top 10 lists. I applaud all of these hard working folks for their contribution to USMS.

This is likely the first time EVER that “Jeff Roddin” and “stud” have been used in the same sentences, except maybe “Who is that stud standing next to Jeff Roddin?” But I will admit he is the fastest rocket scientist I know.

Rob:

Well, maybe "stud" wasn't quite the right word for Jeff ... He does have about 0% body fat. But he has the most beautiful fly ever. He is also an excellent Top Ten chair and volunteer, and I doubt he made any errors in our LMSC.

Other people/posters may have been left off too by small errors in pool measurement, etc. I believe this happened to (S)he-Man, who I will just go ahead and say is a real stud too. :applaud:

I see Paul Smith is on the list, but not TheGoodSmith. Doesn't he like SCM? Just swims SCY?

poolraat
February 15th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I see Paul Smith is on the list, but not TheGoodSmith. Doesn't he like SCM? Just swims SCY?

This sounds a bit like baiting.:joker:

Frank Thompson
February 15th, 2007, 02:06 PM

One of the reasons why I like the SCM Top Ten is that you can compare yourself to other swimmers from around the World in the FINA Top Ten rankings and you cannot do that in the SCY Top Ten. So it might appear to be easier to make the list but the real question is "how will your rankings stack up against the FINA World Top Ten". I am looking foreward to see how I and others stack up against the rest of the world when the FINA rankings are tabulated this spring.

http://www.fina.org/masters/pdf/tabs_SC_05.pdf

swimshark
February 15th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I hope the results in the 200 breast don't change too much. I made #9. That makes 4 out of the 6 years as a master swimmer that I've made Top 10. My goal in 2006 was to get back onto the list after having a baby in 2005.

Alison

swimr4life
February 15th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I hope the results in the 200 breast don't change too much. I made #9. That makes 4 out of the 6 years as a master swimmer that I've made Top 10. My goal in 2006 was to get back onto the list after having a baby in 2005.

Alison

WAY TO GO ALLISON! That's a very big accomplishment with a baby in the house. Keep up the good work!

Donna
February 15th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I just missed top ten in the 1500 by 2 seconds. That bites! 30 seconds would be easier to swallow.

Donna:frustrated:

newmastersswimmer
February 15th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I just missed top ten in the 1500 by 2 seconds. That bites! 30 seconds would be easier to swallow.

Donna posted by Donna

I'm very sorry to hear that Donna...I guess that is like missing it by something like a tenth of a second in a 100.....At least you were right up there with the cream of the crop though! You'll make it next season for sure!

WAY TO GO ALLISON! That's a very big accomplishment with a baby in the house. Keep up the good work! posted by Miss Scaaaaalat

I'll second that as well....Congrats fom me too Allison!!

Newmastersswimmer

born2fly
February 15th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Cool, I didnt even know the one 25meter I did was submitted. Got in on the premlim list on the 50, 100 free, 100fly and 2nd in the 200fly for the 40-44 group.

newmastersswimmer
February 15th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Cool, I didnt even know the one 25meter I did was submitted. Got in on the premlim list on the 50, 100 free, 100fly and 2nd in the 200fly for the 40-44 group. posted by born2fly

Congrats Greg! If I only I had swam that 200 fly, you would have ended up third instead of 2nd....(Only j/k of course!!!...:rofl: ) I looked up your splits for one of your sub 2 minute 200 flies (in yards of course)....I was really impressed by how evenly you split your last 3 50's!.....I went out at around the same pace as you did at the 100 mark in my last attempt at a 200 fly....only I came back in a 1:07 and you came back in a 1:00. I guess I still might need just a tad more conditioning then...LOL!! :rofl:

newmastersswimmer

born2fly
February 15th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Always important to be able to bring that race home. Its all in the 3rd 50, or so I have been told lol. I dont know what splits u saw but 1:00 for last 100 seems little brisk. Here is link to my personal bests with splits. These meets are from my USS swim team.

http://www.sports-tek.com/TMOnline/aSPLITS.asp?db=upload/WTRCSharksCentervilleHS.mdb&RESULT=93838&ATHLETE=Greg

born2fly
February 15th, 2007, 05:35 PM
opps, sorry about that last link, call it operator error.

http://www.sports-tek.com/TMOnline/aATHRESULTSWithPSMR.ASP?db=upload\WTRCSharksCenter villeHS.mdb&ATH=610&FASTEST=1

newmastersswimmer
February 15th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Always important to be able to bring that race home. Its all in the 3rd 50, or so I have been told lol. I dont know what splits u saw but 1:00 for last 100 seems little brisk. Here is link to my personal bests with splits. These meets are from my USS swim team.

http://www.sports-tek.com/TMOnline/a...ATHLETE=G reg

posted by Born2fly

Thanks for the link....You have excellent even splitting in that race too! Looks like your PB is about a second or so faster than mine (when I was a senior in college)....only I probably went out a little faster and died more coming home than you did. The splits I saw were from a race you did about a year or so ago ...I just typed your name into the individual results link here on this website....You went out in a 58.3 I think, and then held 30. something on each of the remaining 3 50's....so I guess your last 1 hundred could have been a low 1:01....but same difference really....very nice splitting though!

newmastersswimmer

born2fly
February 15th, 2007, 06:01 PM
One of my favorite sets to do in fly to help improve bringing that last 100 home at a decent clip is. Either 5x200's, 75fly,25free,75fly,25free. The 200 is swum continuous however I work on making the 2nd 75 faster than the first 75, also with that I will decend 1 thru 5 so the 5th is also faster than the first.

If you get really motivated do same set concept but 5x300's, 75fly,25free,75fly,25free,75fly and 25 free. On these I would also go faster on each 75 in the 300 and decend the 300s. Maybe doing this set is why I am now sitting at home eating bon bons and doing 12 ounce curls lol, seriously,it was the weights not the swimming.

On another note, I am also a fly kicker. I do just about all my kicking without board and love to streamline and kick the fly underwater. Work the pushoffs on the turns and keep that streamline. I will also kick fly on the back with arms down at side.

Do a 200 for me lol

greg

The Fortress
February 15th, 2007, 08:05 PM

Alison

Way to go Potomac Valley swimming Mom!!

Greg and Jim:

Just reading that made me exhausted. Congrats Greg! Now get that shoulder all better while you're working on your curls.

newmastersswimmer
February 15th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Just reading that made me exhausted. Congrats Greg! Now get that shoulder all better while you're working on your curls. posted by Fortress

I don't know Fort...those 12 ounce curls can be pretty brutal on the arms and shoulders (or lets say ...so I've been told....LOL!!) :dedhorse:

Newmastersswimmer

The Fortress
February 15th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Just reading that made me exhausted. Congrats Greg! Now get that shoulder all better while you're working on your curls. posted by Fortress

I don't know Fort...those 12 ounce curls can be pretty brutal on the arms and shoulders (or lets say ...so I've been told....LOL!!)
Newmastersswimmer

Somehow I think Greg can take it, Jim. He's doing the 50 free and the 200 fly in a super tough age group. That's pretty diverse. He's obviously multi-talented. It doesn't hurt my shoulders. :drink: Now, hunching over the computer, that's a totally different thing ...

Uh, why is a math geek shoveling coal?

poolraat
February 16th, 2007, 12:40 AM
...those 12 ounce curls can be pretty brutal on the arms and shoulders (or lets say ...so I've been told....LOL!!) :dedhorse:

Newmastersswimmer

It's only brutal when you do too many and run into walls or tip over and land on the shoulder.:joker: .

jroddin
February 19th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Hymm... a friend told me I should go onto the Forums and do a search for my name.

The Fortress: sorry I haven't posted since the summer. I've been too busy drinking my red wine... Actually, I've been too busy printing registration cards for all the fast PV swimmers!! And why can't a guy with low body fat be a stud?! :banana:

Rob: I think you've been swimming in that cold channel water a bit too long... It's bad enough Mark Gill makes fun of me weekly. Is this his week off and you needed to cover for him?

The Fortress
February 19th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Hymm... a friend told me I should go onto the Forums and do a search for my name.

The Fortress: sorry I haven't posted since the summer. I've been too busy drinking my red wine... Actually, I've been too busy printing registration cards for all the fast PV swimmers!! And why can't a guy with low body fat be a stud?! :banana:

Rob: I think you've been swimming in that cold channel water a bit too long... It's bad enough Mark Gill makes fun of me weekly. Is this his week off and you needed to cover for him?

Aha! I think I might know who that friend was! The same one who appears to think I was a breaststroker as a mere child. I agree -- 0% body fat is stud-like. It's clear that Rob is just jealous.

I'm glad to know that you can still have 0% body fat and drink wine. Unlike Paul Smith, I really wasn't planning on giving that up!

islandsox
February 19th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Wow, you people ROCK!! For Donna and Allison: don't forget: some age groups are a lot more rough than others!! And out of curiosity, what was your 1500 time?

I don't have the luxury of being able to compete in pools anymore, but I do follow the stats. With the exception of Laura Val, I'd pretty much be in the top 3 on all distances in free and backstroke (55-59 age group). But we all know she is now a machine, a very nice machine as I knew her for years when she swam for Los Altos, but still a machine. When she swam, her turnover rate was just a blur with extremely high elbows, more than others.

And you fellows with 0% body fat, just think how much more fast you would swim in saltwater than chlorine. I don't think I would want 0 to even 4% body fat, I wouldn't be able to sit down on a picnic bench for very long without a pillow for my bones. Besides, doesn't fat float?

Donna

Donna
February 19th, 2007, 08:45 PM
23:43.55 for a first time doing the 1500 Free ever SCM. I age up this year and that time would not do much in the next age group, but then I am faster than I was in October last year. We will have to see what the up coming year has to hold.

I fully intend to break 24 minutes in the 1650 at Nationals but will not swim it until then. I'll do the 1000 next month to see where I am at.

Need to get some sleep after 9200 yards today in 2 workouts (had to vent some after work steam in the pool) and another workout at 5:30 am tomorrow. I have learned to love distance, hated it as a kid (couldn't make anything over 100 back then).

Donna

islandsox
February 19th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Donna,

that is a great time, it truly is, you are no slouch!!! And to be so new to distances. I am impressed and whatever you are doing is working. Be proud and here is my motto: ALWAYS TRUST YOUR TRAINING!!!

Donna

Donna
February 20th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Trusting my training has actually been the hardest thing for me to do. But I am working at it.

Thanks,
Donna