PDA

View Full Version : 2 sport taper

runner girl
February 14th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I have a goal marathon run and a swim meet 1 week apart this spring. Any thoughts on how to taper for both of them? The run will be first, and although I do the distance or greater regularly and bounce right back to training, this will be a "race" and I will probably be a little more tired. Right now I am only swimming twice a week, mostly sprint work. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Warren
February 14th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't even worry about the swim meet, just wing it. Just focus on the marathon.

poolraat
February 14th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I wouldn't even worry about the swim meet, just wing it. Just focus on the marathon.

I agree with Warren. Taper for the marathon and do your best. You might cut out the sprint swim workout just before the run so your legs aren't heavy for the run and then use the following week as recovery from the run with very little or no running and just easy swimming.
Good luck on both.

Slowswim
February 15th, 2007, 09:05 AM
My USMS Coach who has done several Ironman distance Tri's always said to treat the swim and run separately. Taper for the marathon as if the swim didn't exist. Then, taper for the swim as if there wasn't a marathon. You are on two different schedules. Your run taper (which you will start first) will aid your final swim prep then the post-marathon run recovery will begin your swim taper. You'll be fresh for both events.

FindingMyInnerFish
February 15th, 2007, 10:23 AM
No advice, but thanks for posting since I do both swimming and running, so might need this advice in the future. Good luck in both marathon and meet! We who do both sports need to support one another! :)

Redbird Alum
February 15th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Runner Girl -

Since the marathon is a "goal" event for you, I'm with Warren all the way. Focus on the run.

runner girl
February 15th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks guys and gals. If this swimming thing goes okay, I may see some of you at Nationals (which is less than 10 miles from my house).

The Fortress
February 15th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I have a goal marathon run and a swim meet 1 week apart this spring. Any thoughts on how to taper for both of them? The run will be first, and although I do the distance or greater regularly and bounce right back to training, this will be a "race" and I will probably be a little more tired. Right now I am only swimming twice a week, mostly sprint work. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I don't have much to add, except ... wow. I did a lot of running before I started masters swimming. But I'd be a lot more than just "a little tired" after a marathon. I'd be blasted. I'm not sure I could swim after. So you must be in fabulous shape. Are you an ultra-runner? I still run, just not as much and not below 30 degrees. What kind of swimmer are you? Distance too? I'd definitely try to cut out the running and get some massages the week before the swim. Ouch. Good luck.

runner girl
May 14th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Well the marathon is over. Yikes there were a lot of hills. My legs are fine today, but my arms and upper back are sore. I'm really glad I've been swimming or I'm sure it would feel much worse. Did I mention the hills?

I can't wait to go to the pool tonight to work out the kinks. In fact, I thought about leaving work at lunch today so I could swim.

Next up, the 100 fly on Friday at Nationals. I'm seeded last in my age group, so no pressure. I just hope I don't leave one of my arms in the water. If my arm falls off, will I get DQ'd? :doh:

funkyfish
May 14th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Next up, the 100 fly on Friday at Nationals. I'm seeded last in my age group, so no pressure. I just hope I don't leave one of my arms in the water. If my arm falls off, will I get DQ'd? :doh:

If your arms stay in your lane, you'll probably be ok. But I'm just guessing, I've never actually seen anyone swim their arms off. I did see someone lose their trunks when diving in the water though :rofl:

globuggie
May 15th, 2007, 08:30 AM
If my arm falls off, will I get DQ'd? :doh:

Congrats on the marathon, and good luck at the meet!

I know I read in one rule book that disabled swimmers cannot be DQ'd for any body part they do not have (i.e. someone with one arm can do a one-hand touch in fly), so as long as the rest of your body is legal, you should be fine :joker:

But seriously, take it out much easier than you feel like you should. Dying on the third lap of a 100 fly is not fun.

some_girl
May 15th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Which age group are you in? If you are in 25-29, then yes, please take it out slowly. If not, then, eh, dying on a 100 fly is not the worst thing ever: the third lap hurts no matter what.