PDA

View Full Version : New Fastskin Pro

Warren
February 14th, 2007, 11:49 PM
the next generation of speedo high tech suits is being released very soon. I don't know how it can be better than the fs II. I think its just a way for speedo to make more money.

http://www.timedfinals.com/14022007/speedo-launches-fspro-fs-pro-racing-suit/

I hope the price of the fs 2 goes down becasue of the new suit.

Muppet
February 14th, 2007, 11:53 PM
the next generation of speedo high tech suits is being released very soon. I don't know how it can be better than the fs II. I think its just a way for speedo to make more money.

http://www.timedfinals.com/14022007/speedo-launches-fspro-fs-pro-racing-suit/

I hope the price of the fs 2 goes down becasue of the new suit.

This was just on the cover of the Metro Swim Shop mag that came in the mail today... I was wondering if it'd find its way to the boards. Anyone tried one of these things or seen it in action?

USMSarah
February 15th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Suit technologies will always change like crazy. Look at the '92 olympics (Speedo had the S-2000), in '96 (Aquablade), '00 (Fastskin), and '04... the Fastskin II. '08 is just around the corner... time for a new suit! HA HA!

1992 is as far back as I can remember.

I think it's great that they keep coming up with new ideas - I just hate the new sticker price (meaning the jump in price from the aquablade to the FS). The new Pro, I believe, is the same price as the FSII? Not sure when the price of the FSII will come down - would be nice, though.

SWIMEMU
February 15th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Anyone tried one of these things or seen it in action?

Some of my sons high school friends had them for their recent state meets. They seemed to work okay - the boys swam fast.

These are interesting - they feel like the old paper suits from the 1980's if you ever experienced those. They feel much lighter than the FSIIs and they seem to never get wet. I believe the full body is not available yet - only jammers and legs.

Not sure about the women's. Although I heard Kate Ziegler got a special edition of the neck to knee - so that should be coming soon.

knelson
February 15th, 2007, 01:31 PM
I think it's great that they keep coming up with new ideas

...only if you're a big fan of marketing hype.

USMSarah
February 15th, 2007, 01:38 PM
...only if you're a big fan of marketing hype.I think it keeps it interesting (for the swimmers).

Dolphin 2
February 15th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Oh No – not yet another version of Speedo’s Fastskin (or any other company’s) brand of so called “technical suit”. The idea of swimming with your entire body covered with water repellent material is totally antithetical to the whole concept of this sport. :shakeshead:

In addition to the loss of sensation of being in the water, these suits are a total hassle to put on and take off. One of the main problems with getting people involved in athletics (especially ordinary P.E.) is reducing the “annoyance factor” of stripping and changing into and (out of) just a simple gym uniform. Requiring more elaborate (and uncomfortable) athletic wear just makes this problem even worse.

If I had to wear one of these technical suits (instead of conventional briefs) when I was on my high school swim team back in the late 60’s, I would have absolutely never taken up swimming at all.

My advice, if we want to encourage people to get into swimming, let’s keep it comfortable.

Dolphin 2 :)

SwimStud
February 15th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Oh No – not yet another version of Speedo’s Fastskin (or any other company’s) brand of so called “technical suit”. The idea of swimming with your entire body covered with water repellent material is totally antithetical to the whole concept of this sport. :shakeshead:

In addition to the loss of sensation of being in the water, these suits are a total hassle to put on and take off. One of the main problems with getting people involved in athletics (especially ordinary P.E.) is reducing the “annoyance factor” of stripping and changing into and (out of) just a simple gym uniform. Requiring more elaborate (and uncomfortable) athletic wear just makes this problem even worse.

If I had to wear one of these technical suits (instead of conventional briefs) when I was on my high school swim team back in the late 60’s, I would have absolutely never taken up swimming at all.

My advice, if we want to encourage people to get into swimming, let’s keep it comfortable.

I'm kind of with you on that one. Although I respect the view of those that want to see clothing advances to improve results. It's no different to the rest of the sporting world I guess.

Frank Thompson
February 15th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Actually I had heard that all of the manufacturers are going to be coming out with new suits to preview there technology by the end of 2007 and have them ready to the market by the summer of 2008. I am sure that Speedo wants to get a jump on the market and what better way to do that then preview the new suits at the World Championships next month in Australia. I think all of the FS II, TYR, Nike, Arena, and others will start to go down in price once the new ones hit the market. I remember at the Y Nationals in 2004, I bought a FS I for $88.00, which was less than half of what it was selling for 6 months earlier. So hold off on your buys for a while.

Warren
February 15th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I am not a big fan of how the new suits look

Nathan
February 15th, 2007, 05:58 PM
I can't say too much, but I'm fairly certain this isn't the suit you'll see at the Olympics...

scyfreestyler
February 15th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Allright, just who is this Nathan fellow with his top secret knowledge of Speedo suit marketing and sales? Identify yourself young man!

Anyhow, hopefully this will reduce the price of the FSII and make them a little more attractive to USMS swimmers like myself.

Warren
February 15th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Its Nathan Jendrick, the guy that does deck pass. His wife is Megan Jendrick and she is sponsored by speedo.

scyfreestyler
February 15th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Gotcha..thanks.

USMSarah
February 15th, 2007, 07:13 PM

I have to agree. But, I'm sure they'll have something real sharp for Beijing (like Nathan said).

Nathan
February 15th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Its Nathan Jendrick, the guy that does deck pass. His wife is Megan Jendrick and she is sponsored by speedo.

Thank you sir :)

I wouldn't call it "Top Secret," it's just what I've heard. I had just said I didn't want to say too much, because I don't want to mislead anyone. I've just heard in passing that this is a new suit technology, but there's supposedly a new Olympic suit, too. Again, I don't know how accurate that is, but if it's true, I suppose it's exciting for the "industry" of swimming.

knelson
February 15th, 2007, 07:35 PM
It sounds reasonable. Speedo always wants to introduce a new suit to correspond with the Olympics because that's the one time where swimming in on the world stage.

Muppet
February 15th, 2007, 10:31 PM

I agree and disagree... The solid black looks pretty slick, but at the same time, they look like mini-wetsuits. I do need new legs this spring, but am not sure about splurging for this suit yet.

Timed Finals
February 15th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Actually Speedo (and other manufacturers) must now release their material well in advance of the Olympics because of new FINA guidelines... while this is probably not the suit that you'll see in Beijing, I would believe that the idea of lighter and faster is what we shall see. But man, this Nathan guy has all the secrets :)

Frank Thompson
February 16th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Mr.Timed Finals:

You bring up a great point. There was a decision to ban the arm ban (no pun intended) that was part of the TYR Aqua Shift suit back in June of 2004, right before the Olympic Trials. It seems they violated the suit costume requirements and rules that were interpreted by FINA. I believe this was the first time in swimming history this happened at such a late date right before the Olympic Trials/Games. When I heard this I thought of the product investment by TYR and the politics that followed because of this some decisions favored advance technology of suit manufacturers and some did not. I think with the new FINA guidelines this should be avoided in the future.

Swimmers that would have bought this suit would be up the creek and would have to petition to get there money back or at least get compensation for the cost of the arm ban. I am not sure how straightforward the rules are but there should be regulations in place similar to what food manufacturers have with the FDA and vehicles with the Federal Motor Vehicles Safety Standards that are enforced by NHTSA for vehicles. I am sure that TYR must have took a huge loss with this decision against them and there product.

http://www.clubswim.com/news-detail.asp?NewsID=3198

http://www.collegeswimming.com/news/2004/jun/8/tyr-appeals-ban-of-arm-bands/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4143379/

Timed Finals
February 16th, 2007, 01:52 PM
On the note of the FS-PRO. Over at Timed Finals (http://www.timedfinals.com/16022007/speedo-fastskin-fs-pro-giveaway-on-timed-finals/), we have two of them to give away to our readers!

FlyQueen
February 16th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Hey Scott. That's awesome. Pick me! PICK ME! :) You guys have a great show & websites.

The new suit is very well timed for worlds. Don't the "Olympic" suits usually come out right before trials?

As for the TYR arm bands, the athletes are most certainly given the suits for free. I know Speedo gives away tons of their most recent technical suit at trials, even to athletes that they are not sponsoring. (Correct me if I am wrong)

I wonder if these suits will be solid for the elites? Anyone? Nathan?

Frank Thompson
February 16th, 2007, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=FlyQueen;79120]

The new suit is very well timed for worlds. Don't the "Olympic" suits usually come out right before trials?

As for the TYR arm bands, the athletes are most certainly given the suits for free. I know Speedo gives away tons of their most recent technical suit at trials, even to athletes that they are not sponsoring. (Correct me if I am wrong)

Actually the swimmers I was talking about were USMS swimmers who purchased the TYR Aqua Shift with the bands in early spring 2004 when they were introduced to the market and before the FINA decison to ban them. The suit was expensive and you could still use the turbo but you were stuck with the arm bands. I guess you could still use them in practice but they have became illegal in competition.

Jeff Commings
February 16th, 2007, 05:27 PM
If they make them in briefs, I'm all over it.

Otherwise ... bah.

Paul Smith
February 16th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Jeff.....you went to the "dark side" last year with the jammers.....time to ditch that Austin Powers thing you call a "brief"!

knelson
February 16th, 2007, 09:11 PM
He's obviously afraid he'll lose his mojo! :)

blainesapprentice
February 19th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Two girls from Southern Conneticut State Uni. had full body suits on this weekend for a 200free relay and the 50free. I think thats a bit obsessive...and VERY unnatural. But...they did fly like bats out of hell so who am I to criticize.

Jeff Commings
February 19th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Jeff.....you went to the "dark side" last year with the jammers.....time to ditch that Austin Powers thing you call a "brief"!

They are fine for everything but breaststroke. I don't know breaststrokers deal with that pocket of air.

jonblank
February 23rd, 2007, 02:09 PM
They are fine for everything but breaststroke. I don't know breaststrokers deal with that pocket of air.

As a breaststroker with a less than Herculean physique, I like the compression that a "kneeskin jammer" provides. It flattens out my gut flab, whereas Mr. Commings flaunts his sixpack.

By the way, I buy the old Speedo fastskin I's whenever they are in the Sale section of the speedo website - $65 seems kinder than $200. I scored some Aquablades at $25 each, but I'm down to the last one of those.

Jeff Commings
February 23rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
As a breaststroker with a less than Herculean physique, I like the compression that a "kneeskin jammer" provides. It flattens out my gut flab, whereas Mr. Commings flaunts his sixpack.

More like a two-pack (maybe three at the end of the season), but thank you.

imspoiled
February 23rd, 2007, 04:26 PM
these suits are a total hassle to put on and take off.

Dolphin 2 :)[/quote]

Hi, I'm a new poster, but I've been lurking around reading posts for a bit now. I saw the Metro Swim Shop mag the other day as well. Thought the flat balck was a bit boring, so I checked out the Speedo site for alternatives. Only other choice is solid navy (also a snooze, IMHO). :2cents:

I agree that the FSII suits are a pain to get into, but I find them totally comfortable -- once I'm actually in it!:wiggle:

SwimStud
February 23rd, 2007, 04:35 PM

As a breaststroker with a less than Herculean physique, I like the compression that a "kneeskin jammer" provides.

Pockets of air in a jammer? I feel a little resistance across the crotch but I think it's due to weight loss and suit being a little loose. It was fine a few weeks back it's just lately it feels like it's wriggling down during the course of my workouts. Either way the resistance won't hurt in training.

I think I'm going to get a smaller suit anyhow for meets, and see if that sorts out the issue.

Ian Smith
March 2nd, 2007, 10:08 PM
I scored some Aquablades at $25 each, but I'm down to the last one of those.

What are the first signs of needing to replace a Fastskin/Aquablade?

Is it when it "wets out" after a certain distance?

Is it when it starts to get baggy and doesn't fit tightly enough?

or what?

I must be nearing the end of life of my first suit and am looking for the signs of when I should junk it. I've used it maybe 25 times (only 50's & 100's) and it seems OK.

Ian.

USMSarah
March 4th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I just saw the Fastskin Pro this weekend... honestly - it looks and feels just like a paper suit. I was kind of disappointed.

I'd liked the old paper suits - but I don't like the current price!

The Fortress
March 4th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I was at a 3 day 14 & U prelim/final meet this weekend. I would say 98% of the kids had on Fastskin II suits. I didn't realize they now come in day glow colors. Pink, purple, lime green, light blue. What happened to the plain old black and silver recordbreaker? Didn't see any full bodyskins. But did see some knee length ones ... No fastskin pros for the little ones yet.

Here's what I don't get. Why the heck are those kids swimming with the fastskins in warm up?! If the water repellant coating only lasts a few meets, why are they wearing the fastskins instead of their drag suits in warm up? And why exactly haven't their coaches explained that dry fastskins are faster than wet fastskins? If they change into a dry fastskin after warm up, they also won't be turning blue and shivering while they wait for their race ...

I hope the price goes down with the advent of the pro, since fastskins only last a few meets. Hard to believe for $165 or so a pop ... Heard a lot of parental complaints about price. Of course they all shelled out the big bucks. Me too. Since I have one myself, hard not to deny the kid. She's spoiled now. My parenting obviously sucks.

What's the current price of the fastskin pro?

newmastersswimmer
March 5th, 2007, 08:00 AM
What's the current price of the fastskin pro? posted by Fort

I don't know...couple of grand maybe? (just j/k Fort....I can just see you forking out that kind of dough b/c your progeny wants one...LOL!)

Like others have said....I'm just waiting for the price of that fastskin II to drop now that the fastskin Pro is out.

Newmastersswimmer

Warren
March 5th, 2007, 10:12 AM
the jammers are going for 180 on the speedo site.

SwimStud
March 5th, 2007, 10:16 AM
the jammers are going for 180 on the speedo site.

I got a pair of grab bag lycras $22.95. They came in and are just black with the blue "go faster" stripe down the leg...34 waist too...yah I'm hawt!

:banana:

The Fortress
March 5th, 2007, 10:26 AM
What's the current price of the fastskin pro? posted by Fort

I don't know...couple of grand maybe? (just j/k Fort....I can just see you forking out that kind of dough b/c your progeny wants one...LOL!)

Like others have said....I'm just waiting for the price of that fastskin II to drop now that the fastskin Pro is out.

Newmastersswimmer

Yeah, right! She wanted a knee length one for fly and back. I told her to take a hike or wear my bodyskin even though it's a bit big for her. I had to get her a new FSII because she growed some ... No day glow colors though. And she hates pink.

I just want to know what poor (S)he-man is going to do with her "prom dress." That was the funniest thread ever. I hope she gets another chance to use it ...

USMSarah
March 5th, 2007, 10:45 AM
What's the current price of the fastskin pro?

They are currently priced a tad more than the FSII. I hope the FSII price will have a considerate drop soon. At my store, we only have the male pro jammers & legskins. $180 and $220.

Crazy Asian
December 16th, 2007, 03:54 PM

normal suit are easy to put on, but the FS pro is only used in elite competitions, and i only use mine once or twice a year.....
so not that difficult.

Shaman
December 16th, 2007, 04:40 PM
normal suit are easy to put on, but the FS pro is only used in elite competitions, and i only use mine once or twice a year.....
so not that difficult.

One this thread is really old.

Two these suits are worn too often by too many people.